Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > September 18th, 2004 - Friends of Hurricane Jean

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Default Welcome to your new home!

Here's a brand new forum opened up just for you! Feel free to start new threads about any topic that comes to mind! Have fun,

Laura
Cruise Critic

Follow us on Twitter

Check out thousands of photos in our full-featured Photo Gallery!

Don't miss anything "cruise newsworthy" -- sign up for our weekly newsletter

When your values are clear, your decisions are easy -Roy Disney-

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Talking

C'mon friends...where are you?? Come out and play.....please....

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm ready........... Let's get going !!! We're all so happy to have our little family back. A great big thank you to Laura !

Spent the day with my sister today after her second corneal transplant. Let's hope her body doesn't reject this one ! Doctor said all looked well. Sure hope so. Six different eye drops every two hours. Some for the operated eye and some for the glaucoma. She's such a good patient. Not one complaint from her !

Looks like you're going to have to crank up that AC this week, Joyce. The jet stream looks like it goes all the way up to your house ! When our temps are around 80° in the winter, we leave everything wide open too. It's just that darn humidity that gets you ! And anyone happen to see the video of that crazy dust storm in Arizona ? Didn't look like any fun..........

Well, Sharon & John..........your turn to come out and play !

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Well it looks all fresh and clean here. The count in the window looks odd in single numbers.

Melanie we do have AC. If we didn`t we would have melted. 79F sounds like a high setting on the thermostat. But when it`s 100F out it feels might cool. And with the fans going is very comfortable.

I hope your sister has good luck with this transplant. Did not know that corneas would reject. Good thing they aren`t like the lenses. Once they are in that is it. No second chances.

Joyce we hope you don`t have to turn on the AC. Probably is quite high for you to run. I hear your rates are extreme.

Have a fine evening everyone. Bee cool.

John

1 Disney cruise
1 Celebrity cruise
1 NCL cruise
3 Carnival cruises
2 RCI cruises
5 Princess cruises

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Now we're all back together again! It's a great day!

Mel, I was so into the fact we're together again, I didn't mention your sister. I certainly do hope the transplant takes this time! Let her know good thoughts and prayers are going out to her! You know John, I too have to say I was surprised that cornea transplants can reject...but when I think of it, transplants can reject and so it makes sense.

Well, it's time to get ready. I just had to see if John was back where he belongs!

Have a great day!

Old July 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi guys.....

Thanx for the good wishes for my sister. I just spoke to her after she returned from the doctor. So far, so good. But her first transplant only started to reject a full year after the surgery. Hopefully this one will be perfect ! And you're right, John. I never thought of that. Why can't you replace a lens after cataract surgery ? I think it's just a layer on top of the cornea. Unless there's a chance of damaging the cornea. Hmmmmm.....going to google it !

Sharon.......we're all back where we belong ! So nice to be a family again. I wonder how many other long time threads got their new homes. So far, I don't see too many.........

Tonight is tilapia ! Just love it.......simply sauteed in butter and lots of garlic !!! I've tried it so many ways, and it's delicious any way you prepare it. Nice salad and cheese and spinach raviolis............... YUM

Keep cool ya'll...........

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Hope eveyone has had a good day. It was HOT here today...Don said it rained just a few minutes and the humidy went from humid to beyond the point of miserable!

Glad your sister is doing well! I wonder how often they wait for a year and then fail? That's just not right!

Have a great rest of the week everyone...it's been a long day...sweet dreams!

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:52 AM
10,000+ Club

That`s interesting Melanie. I made tilapia last night. Coated it with olive oil and lemon pepper and into the convection oven. The got out the leftover potato salad. Tonight it was a turkey roast with mashed potato and gravy. And I cut up some cucumbers Jean brough home from work.

The reason the lens is a one time thing is it is oversize for the size of hole they make when they remove the original. It is slid in and attaches with some barbs that lock the new one into place. So there is no taking it back out. Learned that with my mom.

Sharon it was darn hot here too. Offical temp was 104F. Did not even listen for the heat index.At least there wasn`t any rain here. With this heat we could have some bad storms.Don`t need that. Still 10 days from getting my hail damage fixed.

Joyce how is the weather up your way? Still got the AC in mothballs?

Sleep cool all.

John

1 Disney cruise
1 Celebrity cruise
1 NCL cruise
3 Carnival cruises
2 RCI cruises
5 Princess cruises

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Hot hot did you ask????? LOL

Howdy.....how do you say HOT....
  • Temperature: 96.3F <------------
    Humidity:46 %Humidex: 114F <------------ Wowzers...it's hot here

today...sure glad I turned on the AC last night !!!!! My DH will love me!!!!!
  • So happy to have our own little home back.....a big Thank You to Laura and to Mel for persisting!!!!!

• Well, I don't like this formatting stuff...so I'll exit now...just wanted to let you know that it's rather hot here...prime weather for wicked T-storms........see you later.....

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM
10,000+ Club

We are real close to the same feel. it`s 102F with heat index of 110F. So we must have less humidity. And Gracie and I were just out in it. Jean`s big boss had not seen her since she was a little one. He spends a lot of time in California in the winter and spring. So I took her over while her grooming was fresh.Poor little girl was panting like crazy in the car was the AC on full. But the sun was shinining in on her side.

Drink loads of water everyone.

John

1 Disney cruise
1 Celebrity cruise
1 NCL cruise
3 Carnival cruises
2 RCI cruises
5 Princess cruises

Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
10,000+ Club

Still plenty hot here. About everywhere else?? Computer showed 105F at one point. Think it`s 10 days in a row above 100. Don`t wan to see the electric bill his month.

Went and had bar b que last night. They have the best brisket sandwiches.

Today was hideout day. Usual stuff. Laundry, change the bed. And clean inside the refridgerator.

We did decide on the southern Caribbean cruise for October of next year.

Sharon must be getting real excited about Maui coming real soon.

Melanie I watched Lincoln Lawyer last night. I dd enjoy it. I think they did justice to the book.

Joyce how long til your cruise? Bet you can`t wait either.

1 Disney cruise
1 Celebrity cruise
1 NCL cruise
3 Carnival cruises
2 RCI cruises
5 Princess cruises

Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

John, you're so right ! The AC bills will go thru the roof this year ! With our new unit, hope it will save us some $$$. I'm afraid it will be only pennies !!! But better to be cool. I see where Kansas has been in the "extreme" heat for longer than a week. Sure hope you get some relief ! And how is that "retirement cruise" search working out ? Pin it down yet ? Don't forget........we'd love to help !!!

Joyce........you're not used to this H&H !!! Glad you turned on the AC. Your kitties loved you too !!!

Sharon, even our friends in Asheville, which is in the mountains, have been enduring the heat and humidity ! And they go back there in the summer to avoid all this ! I think we've become so accustomed to it, it's just another h&h summer for us !!! Are you still planning the Maui trip in September ?

Think we will watch The Lincoln Lawyer tonight. Glad it lived up to the book. Loved it !!!

Stay cool this weekend. I know what we'll be doing this weekend....have lots of reading to catch up with.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Happy Saturday to all! I just checked everyone's temps and it looks like you wind John...or possibly better put: You lose...102F Too hot for sure, and back to you...please drink plenty, stay indoors and take care of your woman! Jean first of course, followed by a close 2nd...Gracie! Right now we're at 96F; Mel at 92F; and Joyce the WINNER at 76! Bethany called last night and was so excited. They went out hiking and she wore shorts and a tank top...she said it was the first time EVER that she was able to do that up there! She was in heaven! She wore hiking boots and said she didn't even mind that she now has a farmer's tan!

Mel, I'm pretty sure the temps are better in Ashville than they are here...but we really don't have it as bad as they do out by the coast where it is VERY humid...guess I better be satisfied living where we do...and most of all grateful for working INSIDE with good AC!

YES, Hawaii is on...and as of tomorrow only 59 days. That sounds so much better than 60 days from today...of course I'm not counting! Hee...hee! Bethany will be flying in the day after us so we'll have a great time...Skye will be one spoiled young lady! C'est la vie!

This morning I did a little shopping and having fun buying various things for the trip! I had a gift certificate from Kohls and even have some left over!

Have a great day and to all...stay COOL! At least my color choice is cool looking, right?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Don`t know if it`s a win or lose thing. Yesterday offically was 106F. At my friend`s dealership today it was unoffically 110F. Only 100F in his garage. We drank lots of water and lemonade.As of right now the computer is showing 103F. It was still 90F this morning when I turned off the computer at 2 a.m.

Mel the girls have not talked about the retirement cruise anymore. Since it is 3 years away no need to get in a hurry.Just decided on the anniversary so that is a step in the right direction. But will ask for help when things get closer. Hopefully we have enough FF miles to save that much on the next trip. Hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did.

Don`t know how you can say Skye will be spoiled when you are there. Surely you wouldn`t do something like that.

Have a cool evening.

John

1 Disney cruise
1 Celebrity cruise
1 NCL cruise
3 Carnival cruises
2 RCI cruises
5 Princess cruises

Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
5,000+ Club

I think it was hotter than 76F here, Sharon. It was piping hot.....about the same as yesterday...I wouldn't doubt that it went up to 85F or more. Right now..it's still 77F...and it's dark and cooled down. Perhaps your weather site hadn't updated it since during the night last night.

The cats do enjoy the A/C...but they go out to the back room for some heat naps too! I keep a careful eye on them and bring them in after a hour or two. It's interesting about how nice it is early in the morning, and then later in the evening. I went out to water the flowers at about 8pm...and could have stayed out and had a marguerita or two....LOL. It was beautiful outside. But that afternoon sun will melt your earrings if you stayed out too long.

You must be leaving just before me, Sharon. I think I have about 65 days to go!!

Those 3 years will go quickly for Jean. It might seem a long way off....but just wait till it gets here.....she'll wonder where the time went. Don't put off planning for the retirement cruise...it will sneak up on you...

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday!! Stay cool, drink lots of water, and enjoy your books!!!

Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No of course I wouldn't spoil her John...Don will!

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not much going on here today. The usual Sunday.......new bedding, the wash, cleaning, etc ! All that fun stuff !

Didn't get to see The Lincoln Lawyer last night, John. Xfinity was acting fickle again and we couldn't access the movie. Tired of calling them !!! We had our DVR replaced with the newest box. That was a good thing. But it seems they are always working on the new system and it powers off and on several times a day !!! You guys have Xfinity ? The old Comcast ? Good stuff, but sometimes very frustrating !

Sharon, John and Joyce.... on the Today show this morning, a pet expert was giving tips to pet owners during this heat wave. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...71562#43871562

Our hearts go out to the people of 'peaceful' Norway...... They are reeling over the senseless and horrific attacks on their peaceful country. What the heck is this world coming to ? So very sad, pathetic and totally incomprehensible ! There are some very sick and demented people out there !

On a lighter note.......... have a great rest of the weekend. AND STAY COOL !!

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I so agree Mel...so sad in Norway. Have you heard that the maximum sentence in Norway is only 21 years? I just googled it to make sure I gave the correct number, and it said something about possibly keeping him longer. It’s beyond comprehension. But then again, what about the man who killed the little boy in NYC? You're right Mel...the world is becoming crazier by the year.
I will have to go to that link Mel. Cinder makes her own rules, and if we ask her if she wants to go out she just looks at us as if to say: "Are you kidding me?" Joyce, that's interesting about the weather report. I'm sure it doesn't update very often.
Bye for now...it's about time to eat. Don is doing a pork roast on the rotisserie outside. The only thing I don't like about it done on the rotisserie, is that there's no sauce. So I sautéed some mushrooms in a little olive oil, then added some white wine...then turned it into a mushroom cream sauce. It tastes pretty good (with just a touch of tarragon); so I hope it comes out well! I've also made a big Greek salad, always good in the summer! I have all the veggies ready to go and will assemble it at the last minute. Can anyone tell I'm hungry right now????
I'll also add: STAY COOL!

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Good morning all...........

Sharon, here's a great sauce my mother used on lamb, chicken and even though she didn't make pork....would be good also. Cook, barbeque or rotisserie your meat and baste often with this easy to make bbq sauce:

1 Bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
1 C Dark brown sugar
1/2 C Lemon Juice

Mix well and baste.......... Guaranteed yummy !!!

See ya later.........

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That does sound good Mel! did your Mom use it for meats in the oven? I'm wondering though if it would work for meat being roasted on a rotisserie unit of an outside grill? I'm wonder if the sauce would drip down and burn? On second thought, I bet it could be finished up to the 'almost-done' stage, and then basted with the sauce??? Sounds like it would be well worth a try! It really does sound like a really good BBQ sauce! Have you ever made the Betty Crocker recipe for meatballs in a yummy sauce made of Heinz Chili Sauce and Welches Grape Jelly? No one would ever guess it was made with the chili Sauce and grape jelly!

Have I mentioned that I'm part of a study for a skin care system that is supposed to take those pesty age spots; wrinkles, and generally make one look much younger? It's based on stem cells and is called STEMuLANCE. I've been using it since last Thursday night and I think I'm starting to tell a little difference. One of the girls who used to work with us at CruiseDeals is now doing cosmetics (for weddings, for proms, and the one who did the make-up for the little girls at Skye's Princess Party last year) and also has been doing some info-mercials. She asked if I wanted to take part in a study of sorts. It's quite high-end (you might want to google it); and they are looking to market it to a more mainstream target audiance. Bottom line I got the three products free. The website says the main serum costs $179; the cream for $79; and the face wash for $29. I have all three for free for a 3 month study and then after the study, they said we will get it at cost at around $50 or so for a year. Should be interesting at any rate! I'll let you know if I begin to look like I'm in my 20's! Well, guess I would take results to make me look in my 40's...or should I settle for my 50's???? I've just begun to get the brown spots on my face and I don't like it one little bit!!!!

With that little bit of excitement in my life...guess I should say bye for now!