Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Tika Tika is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Colts Neck, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,138
Smile Luggage storage

Does/will Cunard store your luggage if you plan to tour for a few weeks in Europe before returning back on board. Packing for the TA's and then just touring would lighten the load if we could leave some luggage in storage until we reboard for our trip home.
We are thinking of traveling both Eastbound and Westbound but also taking some time to tour in Europe. My parents did this years ago when we traveled to Italy on the Christoforo Colombo and returned home on the Andrea Doria.
__________________
Tika
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Griller's Avatar
Griller Griller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika View Post
Does/will Cunard store your luggage if you plan to tour for a few weeks in Europe before returning back on board. Packing for the TA's and then just touring would lighten the load if we could leave some luggage in storage until we reboard for our trip home.
We are thinking of traveling both Eastbound and Westbound but also taking some time to tour in Europe. My parents did this years ago when we traveled to Italy on the Christoforo Colombo and returned home on the Andrea Doria.
Yes they will do that, in the "old days" your stateroom steward would have liased with the Baggage Master on board and it was kept on board and was a free service, but now they store it ashore in Southampton and it is chargeable.
Last I heard -
"Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking the QM2 in southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $100.00 (delivery and collection fee) per bag plus $10.00 per week storage. This will be charged to your onboard account. Bags must be collected in the terminal ashore from the baggage hall and dropped off at the Enquires Desk in the check-in hall after exiting Customs"

So this is very expensive.
There is a much much cheaper alternative:

http://www.loknstore.co.uk/loknblog/?p=949

I hope you find this helpful
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Thaxted Thaxted is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 448
Default

Thanks, Griller. When I asked the same question a few weeks ago, I was told that the cost would be $65. Talk about inflation! Since we'll probably be storing only one bag, the convenience might still be worth the cost, but I'll certainly take a closer look at Lok'nStore now.

Last edited by Thaxted; July 24th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Mister Chicken's Avatar
Mister Chicken Mister Chicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, USA
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxted View Post
Thanks, Griller. When I asked the same question a few weeks ago, I was told that the cost would be $65. Talk about inflation! Since we'll probably be storing only one bag, the convenience might still be worth the cost, but I'll certainly take a closer look at Lok'nStore now.
Thaxted,
I would take Griller's advice, last year we tried in vain to store our extra luggage in London. You can, but is is very expensive! Blame those terrorists. We finally sent the contents of our extra luggage a few months ahead of us to my wife's relatives in Riga, Latvia and eventually collected them on our way back to the UK. Saved a bundle.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:56 AM
capnpugwash's Avatar
capnpugwash capnpugwash is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Surrey UK
Posts: 7,116
Default

It is $65 per bag for up to 30 days in NYC plus $30 for the next 30 days, whether this is the same price in Southampton, I don't know but I would imagine that it would either be the same or very similar.
__________________


E: private@jmclondon.com

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield


My blog can be found at http://thecapnpugwash.wordpress.com/

QE2 1 cruise 7 days
QM2 33 Transatlantics c220 days
QM2 5 cruises 38 days
QE 5 cruises 46 days
QV 6 cruises 74 days
P&O 8 cruises 135 days
Celebrity 1 cruise 12 days
RCIL 1 cruise 18 days
NCL 1 cruise 14 days
Fred Olsen 2 cruises 26 days
MSC 3 cruises 36 days

Future trips
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
lannp's Avatar
lannp lannp is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 2,434
Default

This was posted in the Daily Programme in June:

Storage of Luggage in Southampton
Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking QM2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $65.00 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30.00 per bag for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on-board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the Port Agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return.
__________________
Sun Princess (1st Sun -twice), Mississippi Queen , Dawn Princess , Queen Mary 2 (16 times), Coral Princess (twice), Regal Princess , Grand Princess (twice), Diamond Princess, Maasdam
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Tika Tika is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Colts Neck, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,138
Smile lugggage storage

Thank you all so very much for responding to my enquiry!!!!!!!!! A big plus knowing that we can pack appropriately for the crossings & land touring. I think the price is reasonable for this convenience. The days of the free b's are long gone and I am just happy that the service is still available especially with Cunard/Carnival's storage facility.
Do you have to take out special insurance?
__________________
Tika
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
2old4this's Avatar
2old4this 2old4this is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Awesome Hill, Loomis, CA USA
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griller View Post
Yes they will do that, in the "old days" your stateroom steward would have liased with the Baggage Master on board and it was kept on board and was a free service, but now they store it ashore in Southampton and it is chargeable.
Last I heard -
"Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking the QM2 in southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $100.00 (delivery and collection fee) per bag plus $10.00 per week storage. This will be charged to your onboard account. Bags must be collected in the terminal ashore from the baggage hall and dropped off at the Enquires Desk in the check-in hall after exiting Customs"

So this is very expensive.
There is a much much cheaper alternative:

http://www.loknstore.co.uk/loknblog/?p=949

I hope you find this helpful
Griller - How about an approximate $ range for say a large suitcase, one week's time, and one that would hold the tux and a few gowns? Your estimate would be helpful. I opened the site you suggested but didn't want to commit all my data without a feel for the cost of taxi plus storage and taxi back vs the $100+10 fee with Cunard. Jack Morris
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Griller's Avatar
Griller Griller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4this View Post
Griller - How about an approximate $ range for say a large suitcase, one week's time, and one that would hold the tux and a few gowns? Your estimate would be helpful. I opened the site you suggested but didn't want to commit all my data without a feel for the cost of taxi plus storage and taxi back vs the $100+10 fee with Cunard. Jack Morris
Hi Jack, I am sorry I cannot tell you as I have no idea, but for one suitcase maybe Cunard is the way to go, for more I wouldn't use Cunard.
As well as that other members seem to think its now $65, which isn't quite so exhorbitant.

Has anyone else noticed that as OBC has been more widely given -the cost of many on board services and tours etc has generally increased?
Maybe there is no correlation and I am just cynical!
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 30th, 2012, 05:50 PM
seasidegal's Avatar
seasidegal seasidegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: By Water Views
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannp View Post
This was posted in the Daily Programme in June:

Storage of Luggage in Southampton
Guests who wish to store luggage after disembarking QM2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our Port Agent in Southampton. Please register at the Purser's Office. The cost of this service is $65.00 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30.00 per bag for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on-board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the Port Agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return.
I googled to find out about luggage storage in Southampton and this old thread came up and was wondering if the policy stated above is still in effect?

We are doing a transatlantic over to Southampton on the Queen Elizabeth and returning 20 days later on the Queen Mary 2. We need to leave one suitcase with our 'dress up' clothes in storage at Southampton as we are doing a very intense travel schedule and don't need our dressy clothes on that leg of our trip.

Thank you for any help you can give us!
__________________
"The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- J. Cousteau


Provider of the best seats to behold the wonder of the Sea....


Cunard Liner R.M.S. Queen Mary 2
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
AstroExeter's Avatar
AstroExeter AstroExeter is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 480
Default

Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better.
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009

Last edited by AstroExeter; September 30th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
seasidegal's Avatar
seasidegal seasidegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: By Water Views
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcasaint View Post
Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better.
Thank you.

This information is both good and !

What we will be leaving in Southampton will be all our fancy duds - gowns, dresses, suit, jackets, shoes, etc. - in one big suitcase. If this service is available in Southampton, I will just have to trust Cunard with the case and if it goes missing we will certainly be 'under dressed' :-)

mallorcasaint, would appreciate it very much if you would let me know how it goes with your storage in December when you get back.

Thank you again.
__________________
"The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- J. Cousteau


Provider of the best seats to behold the wonder of the Sea....


Cunard Liner R.M.S. Queen Mary 2
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cruise NH Cruise NH is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 513
Default

We just used this service this past June in Southampton. Has others have said it cost $65 for up to 30 days storage. I think it was $90 for over that amount of time.

You get special tags to put on your luggage and then you put the bag out in the hallway with your other bags the night before disembarkation. They wisk them away during the night.

When we returned for our westbound trip, the bag was just delivered to our cabin.

It was a great service and we had no problem at all. We plan to do it again next May.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
seasidegal's Avatar
seasidegal seasidegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: By Water Views
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise NH View Post
We just used this service this past June in Southampton. Has others have said it cost $65 for up to 30 days storage. I think it was $90 for over that amount of time.

You get special tags to put on your luggage and then you put the bag out in the hallway with your other bags the night before disembarkation. They wisk them away during the night.

When we returned for our westbound trip, the bag was just delivered to our cabin.

It was a great service and we had no problem at all. We plan to do it again next May.


This is very good news and thank you for sharing your experience with Cunard storage. You just put a big on my face!
__________________
"The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- J. Cousteau


Provider of the best seats to behold the wonder of the Sea....


Cunard Liner R.M.S. Queen Mary 2
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
CABINET CABINET is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 363
Default

Does anybody know if this service exists on the other side of the pond.

We hope to travel to the USA on QM2, spend a few weeks touring around and then return by QM2.

Clearly travelling around with all our fancy evening clothes is not an option.
__________________
12-04-2012 Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
08-03-2013 Celebrity Eclipse
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:16 AM
AstroExeter's Avatar
AstroExeter AstroExeter is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABINET View Post
Does anybody know if this service exists on the other side of the pond.

We hope to travel to the USA on QM2, spend a few weeks touring around and then return by QM2.

Clearly travelling around with all our fancy evening clothes is not an option.
If you read the previous posts you will see my post about this.
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM
seasidegal's Avatar
seasidegal seasidegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: By Water Views
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABINET View Post
Does anybody know if this service exists on the other side of the pond.

We hope to travel to the USA on QM2, spend a few weeks touring around and then return by QM2.

Clearly travelling around with all our fancy evening clothes is not an option.
Cabinet:

mallorcasaint kindly answered this up thread and this was his answer:

Quote:
Can't speak for Southampton but we have stored bags with Cunard in NY and it was $65 per bag. I have to say that the experince was a bit hairy. When we disembarked we were told to take our bags to a certain area. There was no-one there and when we enquired we were told "just leave your bags there". Reluctantley we did. Spent the next week worrying if our bags got to storage and when we got back to the ship our bags were nowhere to be seen. Shortly before sailing the bags appeared outside our stateroom. Result! I am using this service again in December so I hope it has gotten better.
His answer was the first to begin to relieve some of the stress over what to do with our big suitcase. I've been searching and googling trying to find an answer to the 'big suitcase' question and until finding this old thread and mallorcasaint's answer, the best I'd come up with was a storage locker facility about 10 minutes away from the pier. The Cunard option appears so easy and at $65 is well worth the convenience. Was also so great to hear from Cruise NH about her good experience with this service.

Cruisecritic has so many kind and helpful people to whom I'm very thankful.
__________________
"The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- J. Cousteau


Provider of the best seats to behold the wonder of the Sea....


Cunard Liner R.M.S. Queen Mary 2
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
AstroExeter's Avatar
AstroExeter AstroExeter is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 480
Default

i didn't mean to give the impression that the storage service at Red Hook was bad. On the contrary, it worked very well. I suppose it was the fact that we were not familiar with the procedures and the american staff in the terminal were a bit matter of fact about it all. But in the end they know what they are doing and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again on our December/January visit.
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM
CABINET CABINET is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcasaint View Post
If you read the previous posts you will see my post about this.
I do apologise - the fault of just scanning the thread quickly I'm afraid.

Thank you.
__________________
12-04-2012 Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
08-03-2013 Celebrity Eclipse
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
CABINET CABINET is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidegal View Post
Cabinet:

mallorcasaint kindly answered this up thread and this was his answer:



His answer was the first to begin to relieve some of the stress over what to do with our big suitcase. I've been searching and googling trying to find an answer to the 'big suitcase' question and until finding this old thread and mallorcasaint's answer, the best I'd come up with was a storage locker facility about 10 minutes away from the pier. The Cunard option appears so easy and at $65 is well worth the convenience. Was also so great to hear from Cruise NH about her good experience with this service.

Cruisecritic has so many kind and helpful people to whom I'm very thankful.
Thanks for reposting the answer. I know that we asked Cunard if they could help when we went over in 2010 and they gave a big fat NO .

We ended up leaving our fancy clothes with the hotel we stayed in on our first four nights in New York before we set off on our "Grand Tour" . Problem was we had to go back there for our final night to collect our suitcase and that one night cost nearly as much as the other four combined because the four night package had been a "deal".
__________________
12-04-2012 Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
08-03-2013 Celebrity Eclipse
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.