Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old July 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What to wear for Viking Rhine Getaway-October Dept?

Suggestions please for what to wear on this line's river cruises leaving October 1. It does not look like it is very formal but I am at a loss. We have been on one other cruise on Oceania and that was pretty casual, I felt. Would anyone have a comparison? Thanks.

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:30 PM
5,000+ Club

We went on Viking for a Christmas Markets cruise in 2008. During the day, we wore jeans and lots of layers because it was the first week of December. Daytime attire was very casual and comfortable. Most people "dressed" for dinner - mostly slacks and dress shirts for men and skirts/slacks with nice tops for women.
WGIG #48C - First Class Crew Member

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
"Until you are convinced that prayer is the best use of your time, you will not find time for prayer."

Radiance of the Seas 9/2002 - PNW; Rhapsody of the Seas 4/2003 - Western; Splendour of the Seas 1/2004 - PC (partial)/Western; Legend of the Seas 8/2004 - Mexican Riviera; Explorer of the Seas 1/2006 & 2/2006 B2B - Western and Eastern; Mustard of the Seas I (aka Jewel of the Seas) 2/2007 - Eastern; Celebrity Mercury 10/2007 - PNW; Voyager of the Seas 4/2008 - Western; Windy City Mustard Dawgs, EH! 7/2008; Viking River Cruise 12/2008 (Vienna to Nurnberg - Danube) and Steamboat family and Captain Speaking F2F; Mustard of the Seas II (aka Serenade of the Seas) 5/2009 - Alaska; Radiance of the Seas 10/2009 - Mexican Riviera; Freedom of the Seas 3/2010 - Eastern; Voyager of the Seas 2/2011 - Western; Sapphire Princess 5/2011 - Vancouver to Seattle; Mustard of the Seas III (aka Emerald Princess) 8/2011 - Baltic, Visit new grandbaby 11/2011; Celebrity Equinox 1/2012 - Ulitmate Caribbean; Texas 11/2012; Salzburg 12/2012; Splendour of the Seas 5/2013 - Greece/Med B2B; Visit 2nd new grandbaby - 1/2014; Jewel of the Seas 4/2014 - Southern
Christmas Markets River Cruise and Munich - 12/2014
Princess - Alaska - 9/5/15
Serenade of the Seas - 2/15/16

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree that casual clothing -- slacks and solid colored cotton shirts or blouses (didn't see much in the line of writing on shirts except a few city or attraction names) during the day. In the evening a little better blouse and skirt or slack set. I didn't feel anyone was overly dressed up nor were they sloppy or ultra casual. Perhaps clothes appropriate for a nice restaurant or even church at home. Plan to have a good jacket as it can be cool under the dining room vents but warm in some other areas. I have been on two lines (Uniworld and Viking in Europe) and I was comfortable with my normal cruise attire minus the dressiest clothes that have to do with "formal" night. I do think that women in Europe dress a little more formally (especially shoes -- not many tennis shoes favoring more leather closed shoes or pumps/flats). October might be ready for light sweaters or sweater sets. Have a great time. The Rhine River is one of the most beautiful and so interesting with all the boat traffic.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
10,000+ Club

The River and Canal cruises forum has lots of posts on this.

We have done two river cruises. Pack layers for daytime wear and bring a rain jacket for October. For dinners, I wear black slacks and a nice top and that is typical for ladies. There is normally a Captain's cocktail reception and I wear a sparkly top for that one. I also have a black ponte knit pencil skirt I pack and wear with a black silk ribbed turtleneck and accessories as I get tired of wearing pants.

DH brings dress slacks and nice sweaters (evenings will be cool in fall on the Rhine) as well as some button down shirts for evenings.

Enjoy!

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com