Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking Cruise - bring your own alcohol

I will be taking my first Viking Cruise this fall. I have taken many ocean cruises and I know most cruise lines have gotten very strict about not bringing your own alcohol on board. If you have bought something at duty free they generally confiscate until you leave the ship. While I know Viking has those alcohol packages (which seem a bit high-priced for me) I can't find anything on their website that says you can or can't bring your own. Does anyone have any experience with bringing you own on board? I hate to have it confiscated if I did so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old July 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question

$7000 + vacation: can't aford a few drinks?

Old July 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

We're not great drinkers but on our last Viking Cruise - (Amsterdam to Budapest) - if memory serves, I believe we purchased a bottle of Amaretto at a local shop in one of the cities along the route. We kept it in our room and occasionally had a drink there before dinner. There was no objection from Viking. I believe that as long as it's consumed in your stateroom there will be no problem.

Old July 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can bring on board whatever you want to consume while you are in your stateroom; just don't bring alcohol to the lounge where it is sold. Bags and packages are never checked on river cruises, there are no scanners, etc. You will pick up a special pass when you leave the ship and return it when you come back. The CD wants to know when one is on or off the ship in case everyone is not on board if/when the ship needs to leave port.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bringing alcohol onboard Viking ships

I just read on Viking's website that you can bring local wine onboard and have it during dinner, with no corkage fee.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnevis View Post
I just read on Viking's website that you can bring local wine onboard and have it during dinner, with no corkage fee.
Thanks for the info -- good to know!

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

csmg, the drink package is more than a few drinks and it is per person not cabin. Maybe that few drinks just doesn't fit into their budget. We often bring something to have in the cabin before dinner. On Viking you can also bring your own wine up to the sundeck with no corkage fee. Some boats will lend you a corkscrew for the trip. Pat

Old July 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnevis View Post
Since wine is included with dinner it is certainly to Viking's advantage for you to drink your own rather than from their supply.

On our last Viking cruise, April 2010, many people brought their own bottle to the main lounge in the evening and were never questioned.

Old July 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmg View Post
$7000 + vacation: can't aford a few drinks?
snarky nasty.

We brought our own red wine on board, I often enjoyed a glass before dinner.
The drinks package is far too expensive. We bought an occasional beer or wine at the bar. Our cabin did not have a fridge, so red wine was the only drink we had.

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default alcohol on the riverboat

Our experince was, we were never challenged about any purchases made on shore. Many late afternoons we enjoy wine from our on shore purchase up on the sun deck. We were often asked if we would enjoy an ice bucket & extra glasses by the crew. Other occassions we might a have glass while getting dressed for dinner in our cabin. Although I purchased many cocktails on this trip, my bill was much less than any ocean cruise. The wonderful wines were also free-flowing at dinner & from the countries we were visiting at the time. Thought all the beverages were priced fairly.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you everyone for your advice and insight. Viking certainly sounds a lot more easy going than most ocean cruises. Some of them are like the Gestapo when it comes to acohol.

Perhaps we can start a new thread and educate csmg on how to get a good deal on a cruise and how to make the most of your money.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia/Abby View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice and insight. Viking certainly sounds a lot more easy going than most ocean cruises. Some of them are like the Gestapo when it comes to acohol.

Perhaps we can start a new thread and educate csmg on how to get a good deal on a cruise and how to make the most of your money.
Like it.

I think you will enjoy river cruising, We took several Ocean cruises before our first river cruise, this past spring, & I am converted. I find them both enjoyable, but if I could only choose one, I think I'd opt River