Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Specialty Restaurant Price Increase Email From My TA

I just recieved this email from my TA a few minutes ago:

"I thought I would pass this along, beginning Sept. 1st, Celebrity is planning to increase their specialty restaurant dining fee. Itís expected to be $5 to $10 per person. If you can make reservations before Sept 1st, you can lock in at the current price."

Last edited by boogs; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Interesting, unfortunately I am more than 6 months out from my trips so cannot book ahead, if it is a $10 increase that will make quite a difference to us (+$100), as we tend to go 5/6 times a trip

2014 - Barcelona-Lisbon on 27 May, Quest to Croatia on 5th July, Summit on 21 Sept
2015 - Southampton - Barcelona 25 August and Christmas/NY in OZ

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogs View Post

"I thought I would pass this along, beginning Sept. 1st, Celebrity is planning to increase their specialty restaurant dining fee. Itís expected to be $5 to $10 per person. If you can make reservations before Sept 1st, you can lock in at the current price."
If X does in fact increase their speciality dining room fees ,there are 2 people here who will never go again The principle of this is that they save on the meal we don't eat & charge us $35 each now.Adding another $5 or $10 on top is pushing the issue a bit too far.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
10,000+ Club

Default WOW!!! Hold onto Your Wallet!! Overcharging??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrcruiser View Post
If X does in fact increase their speciality dining room fees ,there are 2 people here who will never go again The principle of this is that they save on the meal we don't eat & charge us $35 each now.Adding another $5 or $10 on top is pushing the issue a bit too far.
Agree strongly with your viewpoint and concern. On our first cruise with Celebrity in mid June, we sampled and really enjoyed all three of the speciality dining places. We had booked Murano in advance for our 39th wedding anniversary and added the other two when the offered the three for $79 special. Each of three are very different, but it was great and gave us better dining time options than the inflexible two evening MDR timings.

This might mean they will just offer more of those "3 for $X" pricing plans. Those fees are supposed to cover the tips for the staff. Doubt that these fee increases will go to the staff.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 26,102 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well, I guess now we know what the big dining change coming in Sept is!

Count me as another cruiser who will just skip the specialty resturants if they're going up that high, I'm really going to be upset if they raise the price of the bistro, but I wouldn't be that surprised.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/cozkityy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9235689@N03/

Photo review of Silhouette Adriatic cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961248

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCOhio View Post
Those fees are supposed to cover the tips for the staff. Doubt that these fee increases will go to the staff.
FYI only about $5 of the fee goes to the staff as gratuities; the bulk of the cover charge is retained by the cruise line to cover the increased operating cost and for profit.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
5,000+ Club

In past posts on speciality restaurants many have said that even though tips were included in the additional price, they still always left extra. My guess is that if prices increase, fewer will leave an additional tip, believing that at least some of the extra charge is directed to the servers. I'm also in the camp that believes an increase in price will result in more dining discount packages being offered. The "discounted" price will probably be the full price prior to any increase.
If restaurant bookings go down we will probably see more 20% and 1/2 off offers. If they do as the OP suggested, I think I will refuse to book a Speciality Restaurant unless/or until there is a special offer and I would urge others to do the same. If they get the price, they'll only try to raise the price again.

Last edited by Orator; August 3rd, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

UKtog: We are booked to travel April 2012 and I was able to make a reso about a month ago, so if you're interested in making one I'd try and do it now before the price does go up. Good Luck!! Cathy

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Reminds me of the story of the kid with the lemonade stand. On the front is a sign, "One glass of lemonade, $1,000." A passerby approaches and says, "That's kind of steep for just one glass of lemonade, isn't it? You're not going to get very many customers." "Yeah," the young entrepreneur replies, "but I only need one."

In the end, the price will be determined by what people are willing to pay. If demand drops, the prices will come down or they will close the specialty restaurants completely if they can't make a go of it at the prices they have to charge.

We love the specialty restaurants, but limit our visits to special occasions like anniversaries. For us, the MDR is usually more than adequate for an elegant dining experience. If the cost becomes too ridiculous, we'll possibly seek other options, like a special meal at a restaurant ashore. Otherwise, we'll probably eat the additional cost, pun intended. Agree with Orator that it'll be a disincentive to leave a larger additional tip, which is sad for the staff.

Ruby Princess - February 7, 2009, 7 nights, Western Caribbean
Celebrity Solstice - January 17, 2010, 7 nights, Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - February 5, 2011, 7 nights, Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - August 17, 2012, 7 nights, Southbound Alaska
Sapphire Princess - May 11, 2013, 7 nights, Northbound Pacific Costal
Celebrity Summit - February 8, 2014, 7 nights, Southern Caribbean

"There's a party all the time for them what choose." Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, The Muppet Show
Click here for the video!

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question: If I book a specialty restaurant and pay before my cruise, will I be able to reschedule it without charge on the ship?

Celebrity Mercury, 9/28/03 - Mexican Riviera

Sovereign Of The Seas, 8/30/04 Ė Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury, 5/13/05 - Mexican Riviera
Celebrity Summit, 9/7/07 Alaska Southbound
Celebrity Century, 5/3/10 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity, Stateroom 7180, 9/9/11 - Alaska Tracy Arm
Celebrity Millennium, Stateroom 8051, 5/12/12 - Panama Canal
Celebrity Millennium, Stateroom 8059, 4/25/13 - Transpacific
Celebrity Reflection, Stateroom 1540, 2/22/14 - Eastern Caribbean

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
5,000+ Club

In the future, unless I have a sizeable OBC, I'll be very happy in the main dining room.
2003 - Coral Princess /
Celebrity Summit
2004 - Mariner of the Seas
2005- Star Princess /
Norwegian Jewel
2006 - Caribbean Princess /
Volendam
2007 - Costa Magica /
Carnival Legend
2008 - Norwegian Sky /
Eurodam
2009 - Norwegian Jewel /
Carnival Liberty
2010- Oasis of the Seas /
Celebrity Solstice/
Norwegian Pearl
2011 - Celebrity Eclipse /
Celebrity Millennium
2012 - Norwegian Star /
Carnival Valor
2013 - Crown Princess
2014 - Celebrity Century

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty1955 View Post
Question: If I book a specialty restaurant and pay before my cruise, will I be able to reschedule it without charge on the ship?
I would think you should be able to do that.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

what will they come up with next to charge more for???!!! we have an OBC for a speciality restaurant. If we book a restaurant in advance WE will end up paying for it out of our own pocket since it is charged to your credit card at the time of the advance reservation. If we book in on board the OBC will be applied. So basically we will have to pay the increase.

Last edited by geenafeena; August 3rd, 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwick Cruiser View Post
UKtog: We are booked to travel April 2012 and I was able to make a reso about a month ago, so if you're interested in making one I'd try and do it now before the price does go up. Good Luck!! Cathy
Will do, though its for October 2012
I have the other idea, I could buy us dining gifts I will investigate that one
Thanks though for letting us know

2014 - Barcelona-Lisbon on 27 May, Quest to Croatia on 5th July, Summit on 21 Sept
2015 - Southampton - Barcelona 25 August and Christmas/NY in OZ

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by geenafeena View Post
what will they come up with next to charge more for???!!! we have an OBC for a speciality restaurant. If we book a restaurant in advance WE will end up paying for it out of our own pocket since it is charged to your credit card at the time of the advance reservation. If we book in on board the OBC will be applied. So basically we will have to pay the increase.
Any speculation may be premature. We need to hear the details from Celebrity.

Last edited by Orator; August 3rd, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I agree that this is pretty outrageous, if true. The $35 Ocean Liner charge is already the highest specialty restaurant fee on the seas. One possible action is the following. Since you can cancel specialty restaurants bookings without penalty as long as you do so 24 hours ahead of your scheduled time it would seem that now is the time to book all possible times you might want to dine, and cancel those times you decide not to use when on board.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSeas70 View Post
The $35 Ocean Liner charge is already the highest specialty restaurant fee on the seas.
Not even close! The new Disney Dream has a french cuisine restaurant called Remy, at $75 per person!!!!

Last edited by boogs; August 3rd, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is great news! Instead of eating at a specialty restaurant 3 times, I'll go 2 times. This is a money saver for me.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Not even close! The new Disney Dream has a french cuisine restaurant called Remy, at $75 per person!!!!
Allure and Oasis I think have a pretty pricey specialty restaurant too.

Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orator View Post
In past posts on speciality restaurants many have said that even though tips were included in the additional price, they still always left extra. My guess is that if prices increase, fewer will leave an additional tip, believing that at least some of the extra charge is directed to the servers. I'm also in the camp that believes an increase in price will result in more dining discount packages being offered. The "discounted" price will probably be the full price prior to any increase.
If restaurant bookings go down we will probably see more 20% and 1/2 off offers. If they do as the OP suggested, I think I will refuse to book a Speciality Restaurant unless/or until there is a special offer and I would urge others to do the same. If they get the price, they'll only try to raise the price again.
This afternoon I received the Summer 2011 Captain's Club newsletter as an e-mail and there is an article on Wine and Dine packages. Besides describing the Wine and Dine package choices, it also says the packages can be carried over to future cruises.

I didn't see pricing mentioned. If the pricing is right, then I would consider purchasing the 5 dinner/wine package and carrying it over to future cruises that are already booked.

Linda

Celebrity Equinox - April 2015
Celebrity Silhouette TA - April 2014

Celebrity Constellation - March 2014
Celebrity Eclipse - April 2013

Celebrity Reflection TA - November 18, 2012 B2B
Celebrity Reflection - November 4, 2012
Celebrity Millennium - March 2012
Celebrity Summit - September 4, 2011
Celebrity Constellation - April 2011

Celebrity Century - March 2011
Celebrity Century - January 2011