Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cell phone question (airplane mode)

Will your cell phone provider charge you for data usage if you leave your cellphone in "airplane mode" for the duration of your cruise? I use my cell phone to take pictures and to capture video.

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just went to manage connections and turned all connections off and wasnt charged. I am pretty sure that is the same as airplane mode.

Carnival Victory March 27, 2011 -Southern Caribbean
San Juan to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten 7 days Review

Carnival Destiny November 24, 2011 Thanksgiving Cruise-Western Caribbean Miami to Key West & Cozumel 4 days Review
Carnival Glory October 22, 2012- Bahamas Norfolk to Nassau 6 days Review
Carnival Victory February 3, 2014- Exotic Eastern Caribbean Miami to Grand Turk & Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) 5 days Review
Faster to the Fun Review

February 2015 WDW Princess Half Marathon

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
LoveMyBoxer

No they won't. I do it every time I board a ship and have never had any roaming or other fees.

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Airplane mode is the mode Sprint told DH to put his phone on while at sea, haven't gotten that bill yet so don't know if we were charged but hopefully not. I have a blackberry & just turned my data package off completely.

Kay

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Did you all enable the data connections when in port off the ship? And if so, did they charge you any differently?

I am going to Alaska next summer, and obviously that is in the US, so I am wondering if my verizon nation-wide calling plan will be treated like I am still in the States, because I am, haha!! I checked the coverage map and it says that it is Verizon coverage at my several ports of call. Just nervous and looking for some help, clarification, and reassurance, LOL!

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
LoveMyBoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaxm View Post
Did you all enable the data connections when in port off the ship? And if so, did they charge you any differently?

I am going to Alaska next summer, and obviously that is in the US, so I am wondering if my verizon nation-wide calling plan will be treated like I am still in the States, because I am, haha!! I checked the coverage map and it says that it is Verizon coverage at my several ports of call. Just nervous and looking for some help, clarification, and reassurance, LOL!
While at sea leave it in airplane mode. However, when we were in PR and Ft. Lauderdale we turned them on and were not charged anything extra since it was a Verizon covered area.

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

FYI
Just make sure you are OFF the ship not just in port when going out of airplane mode.

Being in port but still on the ship you will hit the cellular at sea and be charged by that.

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and C Blake View Post
FYI
Just make sure you are OFF the ship not just in port when going out of airplane mode.

Being in port but still on the ship you will hit the cellular at sea and be charged by that.
And remember--as soon as you switch out of airplane mode, the phone will automatically reset to local time and not switch back. We learned that the hard way when we got to Cozumel and the phone reset to local time. We then used it as an alarm clock and forgot that it was an hour behind ship time. Not good when you are trying to make it to an excursion on time!
Carnival Dream June '11

Carnival Legend June '12
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas July '13
Celebrity Reflection November '13
Carnival Breeze June '14
Celebrity Reflection December '14--Christmas Cruise!

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ok, so in port on the ship bad.....in port, off the ship, probably away from the dock even, good. Right?

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ok, so in port on the ship bad.....in port, off the ship, probably away from the dock even, good. Right?

I have used my phone in port on the ship and never had any additional charges. I also used my verizon phone in Alaska and Hawaii with no addtional charges since it was in verizon area. That being said, I am not sure just what or how the ship decides to turn ur phone into roaming. Perhaps when you no longer recieve a cell on your network.
Good luck and enjoy Alaska

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

In January I was on the Victory which does the Southern Caribbean. I did not put my smartphone on Airplane mode but just turned off Data incase of emergencies.

Up where it shows your bars on the phone, it will show you who is your provider at the time.

Some of the places we went were US territories so normal fees applied. That makes me think any place in Alaska is going to be the same, that is if the have reception there.

I too use my as my camera. I was carring around enough stuff

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have an iPhone and kept my phone on airplane mode during my cruise this past June. Wasn't charged a penny. I used my phone just for an alarm clock. You should be all set.

Coming Up: 6/21/2014 ~ Carnival Breeze!!!

7/2012 ~ Carnival Freedom ~ S. Caribbean
6/2011 ~ Carnival Dream ~ Eastern Carribean
6/2010 ~ Carnival Dream ~ Western Carribean
3/2007 ~ Carnival Elation ~ Eastern Carribean
2005 ~ Norweigan Majesty ~ Bermuda

Old August 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys!

Old August 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

You will be fine if you leave it in airplane mode

2-2010 Carnival Triumph 4 Day to Cozumel (End of Mardi Gras and Celebrating Who Dat Superbowl win)
9-2010 Carnival Triumph 5 Day to Cozumel, Progreso (Just to cruise)
3-2011 Carnival Triumph 7 Day to Key West, Nassau, and Freeport (Escape Mardi Gras Cruise)
10-2011 Carnival Ecstasy 5 Day to Cozumel & Progresso (Halloween Cruise)
4-2012 Carnival Elation 5 Day to Cozumel & Progresso (BF Birthday Cruise)
5-2013 Carnival Elation 5 Day to Cozumel & Progreso (My Birthday Cruise)
9-1013 Carnival Elation 5 Day to Cozumel & Progreso (Cruise with family)

Old August 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

You will not incur any charges if you leave your cell phone in airplane mode. My husband and I do that all the time when we want to take pictures on our phones and then upload to the web. The only time you will be charged is if you take the phone out of airplane mode.

Cary and Susan

Bawston Boy + Jersey Girl (plus our cruising mascot Jumbo the Elephant) = match made in heaven!

I admit that we're cruise junkies!!!!

Way too many cruises to count:
15 on Carnival
2 on Norwegian
2 on Royal Caribbean

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
5,000+ Club

I had my T-Mobile smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) for only a few weeks before I sailed to Hawaii last November. I turned off data. Of course, while I was in the islands, I was on the network and uploaded some photos. I didn't make or receive any calls while at sea.

Are you saying that if I take photos while at sea or in Bermuda in October, I can upload to Facebook without incurring any charges IF the phone is in flight mode?

But that doesn't make sense. You have no network connection while in flight mode and there's no network at sea other than the ship, right? So how could I do that?

Carnival: 5/4/14 Pride; 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Are you saying that if I take photos while at sea or in Bermuda in October, I can upload to Facebook without incurring any charges IF the phone is in flight mode?

But that doesn't make sense. You have no network connection while in flight mode and there's no network at sea other than the ship, right? So how could I do that?
Pretty sure she meant take the pictures then upload later, the same as you would do with a digital camera.

Last edited by Caribbean King1; August 7th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTribeFan View Post
I had my T-Mobile smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) for only a few weeks before I sailed to Hawaii last November. I turned off data. Of course, while I was in the islands, I was on the network and uploaded some photos. I didn't make or receive any calls while at sea.

Depending on your carrier they may have a global data plan that works with your phone. If they do you can add it (I know verizon used to pro rate it for the length of your cruise) and upload on the ship using the Ships data plan (and not pay the web fees on the ship)

I did this on my last two cruises with carnival and as long as we had good weather and a satellite connection I was able to post picture on the Lido deck (and in different ports) directly to facebook.

Then everyone on your friends list gets vacation envy.

Verizon had a great package that was $14 for a week, unlimited global data, but they just changed it recently.

But check with your carrier and see what they offer.

Carnival Pride - Western Caribbean - Return to the Bowling Alley Balcony

Past Cruises:
Carnival Sunshine - First Sailing from Port Canaveral - Freeport Bahamas 4/17/14 (My Flickr Album Collection
Carnival Legend 10/26/13 8 Day "Exotic" Western (My Flickr Album collection)
Carnival Dream - 10/20/12 7 Day Eastern Extended to 8 thanks to Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy (My Flickr album)
Carnival Legend - 10/09/11 Western (My Flickr album)
Carnival Liberty - 10/02/10 Eastern (My Flickr album)
Carnival Glory - 10/10/09 Eastern (My Flickr album)

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktaylor30 View Post
Will your cell phone provider charge you for data usage if you leave your cellphone in "airplane mode" for the duration of your cruise? I use my cell phone to take pictures and to capture video.
you should be able to disable your phone from receiving texts and emails but just don't answer when your phone rings and you should be fine. We have ours thru Verizion and that is what they told us to do last year and we had no problems with any coming thru and no extra charges on our phone bill.
Carnival Destiny 2010

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

We are AT&T and went to Alaska last summer. We had no problems throughout the entire cruise. We weren't on roaming or anything at any of the ports...just plain, normal service . Of course we put our iPhones on airplane mode about 35 outside of leaving Vancouver when we hit Cellular at Sea but once we docked every day we turned them back to normal. Hope you love Alaska! We did
Feburary 2011 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
2010 Carnival Spirit ALASKA
2008 Carnival Freedom Eastern Mediterranean
2007 Carnival Freedom Western Mediterranean
2005 Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean
2004 Carnival Sensation Western Caribbean
2001 Carnival Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2000 Carnival Triopicale Western Caribbean