Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Machu Pichu

I am interested in doing a tour of Machu Pichu on a cruise next year as the ship stops in the area for 3 days
From those of you who have done it, would you stick with the ships tours or would or have you booked a private tour that you liked.

Do you remember the costs of the ship and vs the doing your own arrangement and how it worked out?

Thanks for any advice
Holland America...a few times..
Celebrity..a few times
NCl...a few times
CRATE..a few times

USS Vammen( DE 644)
USS Trathen( DD530.)..
USS Midway ( CV41)
"In harms way" ........ a many times

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiidan View Post
I am interested in doing a tour of Machu Pichu on a cruise next year as the ship stops in the area for 3 days
From those of you who have done it, would you stick with the ships tours or would or have you booked a private tour that you liked.

Do you remember the costs of the ship and vs the doing your own arrangement and how it worked out?

Thanks for any advice
There are two options for Machu Picchu, the standard priced at $3199 and the Deluxe Priced at $4299. The second gets you a ride on the Hiram Bingham luxury train and two nights at the Monasterio Hotel in Cuzco.
Terri

MV Atlantic (June, 1986) -NY to Bermuda
MS Zuiderdam (July, 2007)- Alaska - Inside Passage
MS Zuiderdam (Sept. 2008) - Magic of the Mediterranean
MS Noordam (Jan. 2009) Southern Caribbean
MS Maasdam (Jan. 2010) Panama Canal--FullTransit
Ms Maasdam (Jan. 2011) Southern Caribbean
MS Nieuw Amsterdam (Sept. 2011) Magic of the Mediterranean
MS Veendam (March-April 2012) 31 days South America and Inca Discovery.
MS Noordam (Jan. 2013) Southern Caribbean Seafarer/ Wayfarer
MS Treasures (July 2013) Budapest to Amsterdam

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:30 PM
10,000+ Club

I REALLY wanted to do this but HAL charges a stupid price for this $3200 for the cheap seats. I've also hear that transportation is not reliable so it's pretty hard to do on your own. It's much cheaper if you do it on your own from what I've heard. I found Lima to be an amazing place I don't regret my decision not to go to Machu one bit. I did a few things while I was there but one shorex I did through HAL was a dinner at a mansion. That was SO amazing!

cruzchic2 at yahoo dot ca

4 Star mariner on HAL/Elite on Princess

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are plenty of good private tours available for Machu Pichu. look for tours that will stay in Cusco at the Monestario hotel, ride the train to M/P and then be sure to stay overnight at M/P so you can enjoy the ancient city when the crowds are gone. It is a unique experience that you need to savor. don't rush through it. Take your time and enjoy!

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:47 PM
5,000+ Club

We've decided not to do Machu Picchu as part of a cruise. The time of year that the cruises are near there is the rainy season. We've instead planned a trip to Peru on our own. It is 17 days and will cost both of us about what HAL wants for their 2-night tour for one of us. Our plans even have us at the Santuary Lodge (right next to the ruins) for three nights. We'll be able to see it without as many crowds and visit more of Peru too. If you really want to see Machu Picchu, consider doing it on a separate trip. On the cruise do as Lorekauf suggests and spend the time in Lima.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
We've decided not to do Machu Picchu as part of a cruise. The time of year that the cruises are near there is the rainy season. We've instead planned a trip to Peru on our own. It is 17 days and will cost both of us about what HAL wants for their 2-night tour for one of us. Our plans even have us at the Santuary Lodge (right next to the ruins) for three nights. We'll be able to see it without as many crowds and visit more of Peru too. If you really want to see Machu Picchu, consider doing it on a separate trip. On the cruise do as Lorekauf suggests and spend the time in Lima.
Agree 100% with you. I'd originally looked into both Machu Picchu and Angkor Wat as part of a cruise, then realized that a) the price of the excursion is sky-high, and b) I wouldn't really have enough time at the site to get my fill, as it were. In both cases, land tours of considerably longer length, including airfare to and from the US, costs about the same as the short, cruise-offered tour.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Machu Picchu

We did not do the Hal trip, but our TA researched a trip for us at half the price. We decided it was all too strenuous for us, so did museums and tours of Lima. I second the dinner at the Mansion. It was a lovely experience and a good tour of the city as well. It's lovely in the square at night.
Some people did tours of their own, and were back in time for boarding.
Be aware you are docked in a container port and have to take shuttles to the gate if not on a tour. Some taxis left the passengers a couple of blocks from the gates, and they were robbed. If you take a taxi on your own, don't get out until you're at the gates!
Not a lot was available to do on the ship for those days and evenings.
People who boarded in Lima had done a week or so on their own, and cruised back to San Diego. They were all happy with their time there and had a broader experience.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:30 AM
10,000+ Club

Default FYI, Non Ticketed Tourists turned away last week

Quote:

Thanks for any advice
Just as an FYI, Last week it was on the news that several hundred tourists had been turned away at Machu Pichu because they came on their own without pre purchased tickets. I remember the news stated that their was near rioting as people were yelling and screaming that they were told by TA's (not sure of nationality(s) that they did not need to pre purchase

Might be one heck of an expensive cruise if you do not get to go where you really want to because you went cheap (NOT calling any one cheap, just trying to make a point)

Joanie

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

Visit "YOUR" Web Site for HAL Menus (All Dining Venues), Daily Explorers, HAL Kids Club and More http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Roll Call
Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 7 2014 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886081

Roll Call 4 Day Pacific Coastal Noordam May 5 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092697
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 9 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019620
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 16 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2022226

Past Cruises[/u]:
Brindisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-SA 7076-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-SA 7078-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-
VF 8154-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-SC 6166-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-SB 7142-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 6175-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-SA 7085-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-SC 5190-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-SC 5190-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-SS 6052-Alaska July 14

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Machu Picchu

Our researched trip included tickets. flights, train. hotel with oxygen. How can someone even think of going without tickets????????

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:49 AM
5,000+ Club

Anyone who has done an iota of research on visiting Machu Picchu on their own should know that tickets can NOT be purchased at the entrance.

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM
10,000+ Club

....and anyone who's read even a few of my posts on the Ports of Call boards will know that I research everything to death, whether I'm taking a ship's tour, private tour, land tour, or just planning to do it on my own.

Old August 7th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

We went to MP in May after disembarking from the Rotterdam in Lima. I would probably be nervous doing it on our own if we had a ship to catch! All our travel worked out as per plan but one never knows., apart from being bused back from Ollaytaytambo as the tracks were closed to Cusco by a slide. Doing it on our own was probably half the cost of the ships tour.

We had a great time and can definitely recommend a trip to MP if possible. It was amazing.

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2003 View Post
We went to MP in May after disembarking from the Rotterdam in Lima. I would probably be nervous doing it on our own if we had a ship to catch! All our travel worked out as per plan but one never knows., apart from being bused back from Ollaytaytambo as the tracks were closed to Cusco by a slide. Doing it on our own was probably half the cost of the ships tour.

We had a great time and can definitely recommend a trip to MP if possible. It was amazing.
Thats the best way to do it as you don't have the issue of catching the ship again.

Kirk

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default it is easy to do

We had a lot of people off our cruise do this three day holiday. First, get a good tour compay, check trip advisor, have them schedule your journey, companies like condor, a&f do first class journeys, best hotel, hb train and the like. It will be a short time unless, like some you join a the next port and extend you journey to the great sites in the valley. Check the South American board, lots of info there.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi check out this web site machupicch-inca.com and perurail site.
We are thinking about going on the 27 day panama canal and chile cruise Oct. 24,2012
This itineary arrives in Callao (Lima) at 10am and departs the next day at 5pm. Looking at taking the vista dome there and return trip on the expedtion because of the time.
What cruise are you taking?

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Talking Wow

Thanks for the super good information....I did research some ot the companies and found their prices and schedules to be half of the Ships.
As a fail safe If I miss the ship, I even figured in air fare and hotel to the nest ship port... and its still way less than the ships.. $6500 !!! for 2 like thousands less !!!
Going with a top notch company, that knows the ship schedule and till having a reserve to fly to the next port is the way I will go

Thank you all
Holland America...a few times..
Celebrity..a few times
NCl...a few times
CRATE..a few times

USS Vammen( DE 644)
USS Trathen( DD530.)..
USS Midway ( CV41)
"In harms way" ........ a many times

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did it on our own this Feb....if you have time after MP, visit Lake Titicaca and La Paz Bolivia. A once in a lifetime experience and plan on a full day at MP as the clouds and mist can be a problem getting pictures. Enjoy

Old August 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Machu Picchu

Quote:
Thanks for the super good information....I did research some ot the companies and found their prices and schedules to be half of the Ships.
As a fail safe If I miss the ship, I even figured in air fare and hotel to the nest ship port... and its still way less than the ships.. $6500 !!! for 2 like thousands less !!!
Going with a top notch company, that knows the ship schedule and till having a reserve to fly to the next port is the way I will go

Thank you all
Can anyone recommend a tour company to start the search?? We are going in March 2012 on the Veendam..?
Thanks

Old August 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenscat23 View Post
Can anyone recommend a tour company to start the search?? We are going in March 2012 on the Veendam..?
Thanks
I have gotten a quote but cannot post it here. It is much cheaper than HAL's tour.
However if you go to the roll call thread-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1365749
you will find my post about the tour company with whom I have been in touch.
Terri

MV Atlantic (June, 1986) -NY to Bermuda
MS Zuiderdam (July, 2007)- Alaska - Inside Passage
MS Zuiderdam (Sept. 2008) - Magic of the Mediterranean
MS Noordam (Jan. 2009) Southern Caribbean
MS Maasdam (Jan. 2010) Panama Canal--FullTransit
Ms Maasdam (Jan. 2011) Southern Caribbean
MS Nieuw Amsterdam (Sept. 2011) Magic of the Mediterranean
MS Veendam (March-April 2012) 31 days South America and Inca Discovery.
MS Noordam (Jan. 2013) Southern Caribbean Seafarer/ Wayfarer
MS Treasures (July 2013) Budapest to Amsterdam

Last edited by Cruzin Terri; August 7th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

Old August 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Machu Picchu

We did Machu Picchu as a Princess post cruise tour. I would do the tour again in a minute! Our tour was around $4000.00. The tour included a transfer(guided tour) to the Santiago airport, plane tickets to Lima, 2 nights hotel in Lima, roundtrip air tickets to Cuzco from Lima, 3 nights hotel in Cuzco, rt Hiram Bingham to Machu Picchu and entrance fees to Machu Picchu. This was a once in a lifetime trip for us. The Hiram Bingham owned by the Orient Express is wonderful!!!
I just finished reading "Turn Right at Machu Picchu". It's a must read for anyone going to Machu Picchu. It was just published so the info is current. BTW the hotel at Machu Picchu can cost $800 a night. The author ordered his Machu Picchu tickets 3 months in advance. Certain dates have more demand than others. As said earlier you just can't "show up " at Machu Picchu anymore.