Just off the Explorer of the Seas... any Questions?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Good afternoon all... the wife and I just got home last night from the Explorer of the Seas. We did the Western route (Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman)

Any questions?? I'll try my best to answer them all!!

Andy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majesty of the Seas - 11/99
Explorer of the Seas - 2/05
Adventure of the Seas- 6/09
Boston, Ma
149 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
what was belize and costa maya like? Ive never been to those and I was wondering what there is to do there.

thanks!
-erika
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4/97 - Big Red Boat
4/98 - Enchantment
4/00 - Grandeur
4/01 - Grand Princess
4/02 - Voyager
6/02 - NCL Majesty
4/03 - Grandeur
4/04 - Explorer
5/05 - Explorer again
5/06-6/06 - Enchantment B2B

...I hope you understand...
I just had to go back to the island
jersey
2,664 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We'll be on the explorer in November same itinerary! TELL ALL! TELL ALL! did you do excursions? What type of Cabin we you in? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?
Any "explorer" tips? I'll take any info you're willing to give!

~lurker
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, FLOOR!

RCCL Enchantment 9/26/16 "Birthday Cruise"

The Atlantis 10/2/14
Carnival Splendor 1/4/2014 "the Cold & Gray Cruise"

RCCL Enchantment 3/18/2013

RCCL Explorer...AGAIN! 10/29/2009
RCCL Explorer 11/1/08
Norwegian DAWN 11/05/2006
RCCL Explorer 11/6/2005
Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by *erika*
what was belize and costa maya like? Ive never been to those and I was wondering what there is to do there.

thanks!
-erika

Both Belize and Costa Maya are pretty under developed areas (pretty new to the cruising community) I would definately suggest doing a ruins tour at one of the stops there (we did one to Chcacchoben in Costa Maya and I loved it!!) I heard the snorkeling was very nice in Belize as well as the Cave tubing (we did the river tubing/ruins tour, it was only OK because it is currently the dry season and the river was pretty low). Neither port had GREAT shopping as far as I was concerned and both were in very poor areas as soon as you left ther port area. It made me feel very appreciative of what I have here!

Again, they are both just now starting to develop their port areas, so dont come into them with the highest expectations otherwise you might be a little dissapointed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by 4merlurker
We'll be on the explorer in November same itinerary! TELL ALL! TELL ALL! did you do excursions? What type of Cabin we you in? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?
Any "explorer" tips? I'll take any info you're willing to give!

~lurker
As I said above, we did the river tubing/ruins tour in Belize (you should be there in the middle of "wet" season and it would be a lot different/better for you because the water will be higher in the rivers!!! A one hour bus ride to get there and our tour guide was very friendly/knowledgeable about Belize!

Costa Maya we did the Chachoben ruins tour which I loved, you were able to climb some of the ruins (not all the way to the top of any of the tall ones, but you got a pretty good view from some points that you were allowed to get to! Another hour long bus to get there... more good info from our guide along the way.

Cozumel we did the Beach Break through RCCL... I would suggest you do this day on your own. Lots of beaches with plenty of activities. Our group did parasailing for the first time! AWESOME!!!!! so peaceful up there at 300 feet or so!! Beaches were clean, plenty to do. Lots of folks hit Senor Frogs and Carlos & Charlies for partying!! Sounded and felt like they had a blast!

We did the Rays and Reef combo in Grand Cayman. The Snorkeling was ok... you were by a reef and it was all right, not as good as I've done in the Bahamas, but OK. The Stingray City part was very cool. You got to swim with the Stingrays and feed them, though I have heard that other tours you stand on the sandbar and do the same thing. I would have loved that!

We just had an inside cabin (cheap!) Was very clean and our steward had everything we wanted every night! Even took extra care of my wifes foot after she bashed it jumping in the poll after I was in the bellyflop competition!

As far as the food goes... it was all good. The Island grill (back of the Windjammer had an excellent omelette station for breakfeast and good French Fries for lunch. Dinner was outstanding, our waiter Oliver took great care of us.

As far as tips... if you like chocolate Strawberries like my wife does, go to the cigar bar (the Conniseurs club on deck 5) they is always a covered plate of them there!) Get involved in all the activities you want to! Had a blast at Quest and Karaoke! Find out if Anthony is there (they call him Rubber man) One of the best Pool waiters around! The man can LIMBO!!

I will be back to answer more later.......

Andy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
34 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We are leaving on March 27th on the Explorer Western Carrib. Did you hear anything about the Canopy tour in Beleze where you are on a zip line from rock to rock and then repell down the side of the rocks? We are deciding between that and the kayak tour and can't seem to make up our minds. How hot was it in Belize when you were there?

Also, what would be a good day to go to the "pay to eat" restaurant? I don't want to book that on a night that was good in the main dining room.

Last question---any shows to avoid or must see?
Thank you so much,
Indianapolis,Indiana
110 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
ando3 - welcome home me and my fiancee will be on the explorer in sept for our honeymoon and was wondering how the ship is food entertainment etc. and any pointers on the does and donts this will be our first cruise we will be doing the same western cruise and by the way did you bring any alcohol or wine aboard with you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9/11/05 Explorer of the Seas Honeymoon <BR>
Ithaca, NY
1,108 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Is Clo still the cd? She was the cd when I was on the Explorer last August and I found her to be very delightful. I miss the Explorer! It was the best cruise I ever had.
Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by slgray
We are leaving on March 27th on the Explorer Western Carrib. Did you hear anything about the Canopy tour in Beleze where you are on a zip line from rock to rock and then repell down the side of the rocks? We are deciding between that and the kayak tour and can't seem to make up our minds. How hot was it in Belize when you were there?

Also, what would be a good day to go to the "pay to eat" restaurant? I don't want to book that on a night that was good in the main dining room.

Last question---any shows to avoid or must see?
Thank you so much,
Sorry I didnt hear anything about the zip line tour, though I had a neighbor who did that same sort of thing in Venezuela last year and LOVED it. Our day in belize was partly cloudy and about 83 F.

As far as which day to miss the main dining for Portofino's is up to you... there are different "themed" nights. What I would do is ask about the entire weeks menus on the first night and plan around it, we were going to do Portofino's, but the menu there (It never changes throughout the week) didnt appeal to about half of our group of 6 so we just stuck to the main dining room all week.

My wife hit just about every show and she liked them all. I really thought the ice skating show was good. It's pretty odd to see skating in the middle of the Caribbean Sea! The variety dance/singing there was a little below the talent you see in Vegas, but not horrible, in my humble opinion of course!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by paulandsara
ando3 - welcome home me and my fiancee will be on the explorer in sept for our honeymoon and was wondering how the ship is food entertainment etc. and any pointers on the does and donts this will be our first cruise we will be doing the same western cruise and by the way did you bring any alcohol or wine aboard with you

We loved the food! A couple people in our party were pretty picky eaters and there was always something for them in the main dining room (Steak or Chicken) that they would choose (why not try new things I always say, if you dont like it, get something else!!) As far as do's and dont's do try to get involved in different things and try to get on the Love and Marriage game show... its a RIOT! We didnt bring any liqour on board with us because then we felt like we'd be running down to the room to get another "shot" of something while we were partying on the pool deck. I guess thats why my entire bill read "Pool bar, solarium bar, schooner bar, pool bar, pool bar, Crown and Kettle, pool bar, etc etc" You'll understand when you get home!!

Have a great time and Congrats!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rogers, MN USA
30 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by dad son team
Is Clo still the cd? She was the cd when I was on the Explorer last August and I found her to be very delightful. I miss the Explorer! It was the best cruise I ever had.

Clo is still there and she was indeed a riot. Her performance in the Love and Marriage show was very good. She always was very quick with the wit and humor. be sure to ask about her "Mum".

I've only been on two (the Majesty and Ex) but I like the Voyager class much better and would definately try one again!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
1,497 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hey Ando... did you go to the meet and mingle? We didnt meet did we? Anyway, we traveled with our 6 year old son.

Belize.. cave tubing with wet and wild was awesome!!! My son was a bit scared at times... especially when we hit the "bottoms up" areas and I was yelling.. Oh no... there goes another piece of my behind!!!!!

Costa Maya... we went to Mahajual. We had a nice time sitting at Tapas with Alan as our waiter. Our son was in and out of the water and playing in the sand. Alan got him a few cups to use to make castles.

Cozumel... we opted to just shop a bit at the port and then enjoy a quiet day on the ship!!!

Grand Cayman... we went to Sting Ray city with Nativeway!! Awesome as usual!!! We went with Nativeway last February. The only problem in this port was that we had to leave earlier then planned. The time was changed from 5 to 2. There were many ship tours that were cancelled due to the time... but we did our full excursion with Nativeway and got back right at 2 pm... just in time to be in a HUGE line of people waiting for the tenders. We opted to wait across the street and wait for the lines to go down some.. then we got on the last tender.

The weather was finally nice on the last sea day!!!

I too participated in Quest... what a hoot!!!! Good thing my son was in the extended time at the kids club!!!!

All in all it was a great time!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wendy

Horizon 4/96(engaged on board)
Century 3/97(honeymoon)
Navigator 2/04 (first family cruise)
Explorer 2/05
Mariner 1/06
Freedom 2/07
Navigator B2B 2/08, 3/08
Independence 2/09
Allure 3/12 (been a long time...making it worth the wait)
Allure 3/13 (didnt get enough the first time.... going back for more!!!)
Dayton, Ohio
4,569 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Can you tell us who the main entertainment was and who played in the Irish Pub..
thanks
2 weeks to go for us
Wayne
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RETIREMENT SHOULD BE TAKEN EARLY AND OFTEN

BEER SPEAKS PEOPLE MUMBLE

[email protected]

WAYNE NOVICK
Dead Tour 1972 - 1995
Cruise Tour 1988 and still cruising
next stop:

Sunny AZ
23,324 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Shrimpo - we'll be on the same cruise in May & we have also booked nativeway. Do you know why the time was shortened? Was it do to weather? We're really looking forward to BOTH Native way & also to have some time to shop!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny

Brilliance of the Seas ~ September 1, 2018 ~ Trans-Atlantic Amsterdam to Tampa!
Brilliance of the Seas ~ September 17, 2018 ~ Caribbean Bound!

My Bucket List Cruises:
British Isles - Ireland Booked September 2018!
Italy & Greek Islands
Baltic
European River Cruise
Northeast/Canada Fall Colors
Alaska Cruisetour
Australia/Tahiti
Hawaii - again!

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Oasis of the Seas 05/15 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/15 (Panama Canal) ~ Harmony of the Seas 10/16 (Transatlantic)

Oasis of the Seas 2015 Pictorial Review
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean B2B 2014 Pictorial Review

Allure of the Seas 2013 Pictorial Review!

Are you an Arizona Cruiser? Come join the fun! "Never Ending Circle of Friends"
SOMEWHERE IN THE US.
1,334 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Which nights, were formal nights?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy and Marty

Conga Line photos

Explorer photos[/b]
j

Explorer 2016
Marier 2009
NOW DIAMOND MEMBER YAHOO!!!
Explorer 2005
Adventure 2003 & 2004
Sovereign 2003
Celebrity 2002
Voyager 2000 & 2001
Enchantment 1999
RI
144 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
shrimp0, we are using Nativeway in May and I was wondering what you meant by cut short, do you mean the amount of time, or was the time changed from afternoon to the morning?

Thanks for the review. We are doing the x-treme cave tubing in Belize and your review affirms our decision.
Nantucket, MA
185 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
We were on the same cruise as Shrimpo and Ando3. Myself, DH and son (11) and daughter (9). We has a JS aft and loved the size of the cabin and the huge balcony. We ate dinner everynight in the main diningroom and had a table with another family of four. We hit it off immediately. The kids would leave the diningroom after the main course heading to the kids programs and the grownups enjoyed desert and after dinner drinks. The food was good and if you wanted two or more of anything all you had to do was ask.

In Belize we took a taxi with just the four of us to Cave tubing. It was an awesome experience but I agree that it would have been better earlier in the year when there is more water (the dry season has started). The driver even stopped at her mothers home and cut coconuts out of a tree on the property for us to eat. Belize City is very poor and I would not have been comfortable wondering around outside of the pier area.

In Cozumel we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. Free admission or $5.00 per person if you want to use their water toys. Water trampoline, rock climbing iceberg, kayaks, snorkling gear, mats, hammocks. Nice restaurant and bar with service right to your chair. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas but the beach was really crowded.

Costa Maya we took a taxi to the little fishing village. $3 pp going, $2 pp returning (???). We booked horseback riding at the pier for $25. It was an hour ride and the horses were a bit sluggish but it was something the kids really wanted to do. Massages on the beach for $20 for 30 minutes. This was great!!! Beware of the man with the pet iguana. He will let you hold it and take a picture but then he wants $3.

Grand Cayman we went with Capt. Bryan to Stringray City and snorkled the barrier reef and an area he called the Aquarium. Great experience, nice people. The last tender was at 2:00 because bad weather was moving into the area. No time to shop but will be returning in 2 years on Freedom.

Any other questions, just ask
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordic Empress 4/91-Honeymoon
Norwegian Star 12/03
Disney Magic 2/04
Explorer of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Freedom of the Seas 2/07
Adventure of the Seas 2/08
Liberty of the Seas 4/09
Jewel of the Seas 12/16