Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Kids in CL?

Just got an email from a friend on Explorer. She said they have changed the rules fleetwide and are allowing kids from suite guests in the CL...

REALLY RCL???? During a cocktail hour??????? What's next? No alcohol cuz we don't want children seeing people drinking???

I LOVE my grandkids dearly but there is a time and place for kids....

Cocktail hour is NOT for children...

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoqueen View Post
Just got an email from a friend on Explorer. She said they have changed the rules fleetwide and are allowing kids from suite guests in the CL...

REALLY RCL???? During a cocktail hour??????? What's next? No alcohol cuz we don't want children seeing people drinking???

I LOVE my grandkids dearly but there is a time and place for kids....

Cocktail hour is NOT for children...
Kids have always been allowed in the lounge, except for cocktail hours.

To me, it is no big deal for kids to see an adult drink. I may be in the minority but I have never seen any overdrinking in the lounge, ( but then I am only in there for a drink or so – not for several hours)

Most kids would be bored stiff in the CL and I can only imagine that a parent would have them there for just a short time.

To me the underlying issue is the children will take up space. Perhaps RCCL will then use this to limit D+ from the lounge due to a space issue.
So, will children of D+ also be permitted?

M
Sailed fewer on Carnival

favorite cruise? - the most recent!

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are always hearing about the crowding in the CL. Now they appear to be adding more people. Does this seem like a good idea. Question? can D+ bring their kids?

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

this is during cocktail hour..........kids with shorts, no shoes...crying ect....

Kinda takes something away from cocktail hour having kids in the lounge.

Could be a way to move D+ out!

I will be writing a letter to RCL voicing displeasure....

If anyone else doesn't want to spend cocktail hour with a lot of children around, then please write a letter too!!!

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
10,000+ Club

Now you know I am usually I huge proponent for all things kids.

Well, not this time! WHAT are they thinking? Seriously? There is no reason that RCI needs to include kids in the CL. As a mom, I don't want my kids in the CL. It is already over crowded. They kicked out diamonds because of it.

And now they think its wise to allow kids in who won't even want to be in there but will be dragged by their parents so they can load up on free cocktails?

Can you imagine toddlers in there? {shudder}

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone actually confirmed this, or is this just another one of those threads where everyone goes off the deep end over a rumor....

-germ

-=-=-=-

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM
5,000+ Club

I do not generally travel with small children but I’m not sure that allowing kids in the CL necessarily equates to “...kids with shorts, no shoes, crying, etc…”

Remember “children” per the CL rules goes up to age 18 so perhaps you will see some teens or pre teens. I’ve been fortunate to see some really lovely families on board.

With that said - space will certainly be an issue.

M
Sailed fewer on Carnival

Last edited by cruisegirl1; August 30th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsGermy View Post
Has anyone actually confirmed this, or is this just another one of those threads where everyone goes off the deep end over a rumor....

-germ
Hmmm- Wish I had thought of that!
M
Sailed fewer on Carnival

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Joanne (cruizingduo) is on Explorer right now and has emailed this to me. She said the CL said this was a change 'fleetwide'....

Michele...thanks for your support!!!

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Joanne (cruizingduo) is on Explorer right now and has emailed this to me. She said the CL said this was a change 'fleetwide'....
Yeah, I understand that, but we've heard lots of stories from ships that never really turned out to be the truth.

-germ

-=-=-=-

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have no reason to think she is not telling me the truth......

I am only relaying what I've been told from a reputable person.

I guess if you want it from the horse's mouth, I would suggest emailing a concierge and asking them.

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM
10,000+ Club

It's true. And if D+ complain, I think they are history. Of course some may complain about unfriendly subject matter for children being discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruised on -
Royal Caribbean International: Navigator, Serenade, Majesty, Enchantment, Radiance, Monarch, Freedom, Mariner, Adventure, Jewel, Brilliance, Rhapsody, Oasis, Vision.
Carnival: Fascination, Fantasy, Spirit
Celebrity: Infinity

My Fantasy cruise photos

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have no reason to think she is not telling me the truth......
I don't think anyone here would have a reason to think she wasn't telling the truth, nor was that what I implied, in any way shape or form.

What I was saying is, there is a constant flow of "I heard this on the ship...." and it turns out not to be the case.

How many threads have we seen about crew members telling guests about ships moving to new ports and it turns out to be hogwash, yet we still get 10+ pages of people who are excited/pissed/melancholy all over hogwash.

With that said, if they'd made that change, no problems by me - I only ever cruise in GS's and above and pop in and out of the concierge lounge as needed. Doesn't bother me if folks bring their kids in.

-germ

-=-=-=-

Last edited by MyNameIsGermy; August 30th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

You're sooo right!

I'm just amazed that people would WANT to take their kids into a cocktail lounge!!! I would never think to take my kids/grandkids into a 'bar' atmosphere....

I have seen people drink too much....I have heard inappropriate discussions...it's just not the kind of place for children under 18....

Not that people shouldn't be able to come have their 'drinks' but leave the kids to get ready for dinner or whatever and go have one.......that's what we've done in the past.

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'm just amazed that people would WANT to take their kids into a cocktail lounge!!! I would never think to take my kids/grandkids into a 'bar' atmosphere....
While I don't have a problem if they do, I have to agree with this statement.

-germ

-=-=-=-

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You're sooo right!

I have seen people drink too much....I have heard inappropriate discussions...it's just not the kind of place for children under 18....

Not that people shouldn't be able to come have their 'drinks' but leave the kids to get ready for dinner or whatever and go have one.......that's what we've done in the past.
My experience with the CL is limited to one cruise vacation, ten years ago on the Explorer .... but my "recollection" was that the lounge was not a "bar atmosphere" but rather a quiet, sort of nice place set aside for GS and above to "escape the unwashed masses" for breakfast, coffee and pre-dinner libations & appetizers. Haven't really thought about it too much, but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to kids being allowed during cocktail time.

A "bar atmosphere" in my mind would be Carlos & Charlies in Cozumel ...

Then again, I'm probably wrong and would chalk it up to vodka brain cells on my part.

Michael

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Have to wonder if this isn't a move to a Diamond Lounge for Diamond and up and a CL strictly for suite guests (and from the sounds of things, their children). It has always bothered me a little that Royal Caribbean doesn't separate the perks for loyal, repeat customers from the perks for suite guests. It's just my opinion that the two types of guests should have unique and special perks.

We're just Diamonds but we were able to use the CL a few times before we were kicked out and even back then, there were lots of children in the lounge during the cocktail hour. Lately, we've seen an increase in the number of children in the Diamond Lounge during the cocktail hour. This will just make us more inclined to cruise Celebrity. They're pretty strict on dress and children in the Elite lounge during the cocktail hour.

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNJ1109 View Post
My experience with the CL is limited to one cruise vacation, ten years ago on the Explorer .... but my "recollection" was that the lounge was not a "bar atmosphere" but rather a quiet, sort of nice place set aside for GS and above to "escape the unwashed masses" for breakfast, coffee and pre-dinner libations & appetizers. Haven't really thought about it too much, but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to kids being allowed during cocktail time.
I see your point and agree with what you are saying. However, it is my opinion kids are not banned because it's a bar atmosphere. Otherwise, kids wouldn't be allowed anywhere on board the ship. They are banned during the cocktail hours because during that time, not only is there alcohol served, but the lounge is a grown-up atmosphere and the presence of kids would only cheapen it. Speaking for myself, the last thing I want is to have someone else's little angels who can do no wrong in the eyes of their parents, or a screaming baby in this particular venue.
Sunward II 11/89, Seaward 8/93, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, Monarch of the Seas 10/02, Enchantment of the Seas 10/03, Majesty of the Seas 5/04, Adventure of the Seas 10/04, Explorer of the Seas 10/05, Majesty of the Seas 5/06,Freedom of the Seas 9/06, Explorer of the Seas 5/07, Adventure of the Seas 10/07,Navigator of the Seas 2/08, Navigator of the Seas 8/08 (Med.), Majesty of the Seas 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, Enchantment of the Seas 7/09, Radiance of the Seas 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, Majesty of the Seas 6/10, Majesty of the Seas 8/10, Oasis of the Seas 10/10, Radiance of the Seas 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, Allure of the Seas 4/11, Norwegian Sky 6/11, Majesty of the Seas 9/11, Norwegian Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, Liberty of the Seas 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), Majesty of the Seas 8/12, Oasis of the Seas 10/12, Majesty of the Seas 11/12, Norwegian Dawn 12/12,Liberty of the Seas 2/13, Majesty of the Seas 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), Enchantment of the Seas 9/13, Allure of the Seas 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, Liberty of the Seas 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not directly related to this, but we just got off the Oasis and there were kids in bars all over the ship. I know the Rising Tide Bar is something to be marveled at, but we saw kids between the ages of 5-16. They were always with parents and never drinking alcoholic drinks that I saw, but it's still not an atmosphere that children should be in and I'm surprised Royal Caribbean allowed it.

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
  • 07/2013 - Norwegian Breakaway
  • 05/2012 - Allure of the Seas
  • 08/2011 - Oasis of the Seas
  • 03/2011 - Norwegian Jewel
  • 06/2010 - Explorer of the Seas
  • 08/2009 - Carnival Triumph
  • 05/2009 - Caribbean Princess
  • 05/2008 - Caribbean Princess
  • 05/2007 - Carnival Miracle
  • 08/2003 - Grand Princess

"Sea-ing is Believing"

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNole View Post
This will just make us more inclined to cruise Celebrity. They're pretty strict on dress and children in the Elite lounge during the cocktail hour.
Adios!

-germ

-=-=-=-