Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old September 9th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg66 View Post
Love MFP! And so happy to find this blog. It will be nice to talk with others that have the same love of cruising as I do. I too am wanting to lose weight & feel better before my annual Christmas cruise this December. Tired of getting tired so easy & not wanting to walk as far when we are in those beautiful ports. With the help of my cousin who runs marathons, when I logged in to MFP this morning, I was at day 90 and have lost 14lbs. She is helpful in helping me to input the correct portions with things like chicken & pasta. I haven't started really exercising yet, but am looking at purchasing some type of exercise equipment, as the area where we live really is not a good place for running/ walking outside. I would love to have some friends on MFP. Please feel free to add me. The more encouragement, the better! You can find me as genevieve66.

Happy Cruising!
Instead of purchasing expensive exercise equipment if you have an iPad/phone/pod you can try the Nike training club app. It's free and uses mainly body weight exercises. It's aimed at all fitness levels

Liberty of the Seas TA 27th October 2013
P&O Oriana 7th July 2013
Norwegian Epic 21st October 2012 - 1st TA
Norwegian Epic 16th October 2011
Independence of the seas 5th June 2010 - 1st cruise

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhane's mum View Post
Instead of purchasing expensive exercise equipment if you have an iPad/phone/pod you can try the Nike training club app. It's free and uses mainly body weight exercises. It's aimed at all fitness levels
None of the above, but I just found a bike for under $200. I'm using a little bit of inheritance money & I think my Nana would be proud of my purchase. However, I do have a smartphone & may check it. Thanks for the advice!
URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com]

Past Cruises:
CCL Fascination - 7/13 Freeport, Nassau (4 days)
CCL Paradise - 5/13 Cozumel, Grand Cayman (5 days)
CCL Valor - 12/12 Nassau, Dominican Republic, San Juan & Grand Turk - PLATINUM CRUISE (7 days)
CCL
Fascination - 5/12 Half Moon Cay & Nassau

CCL Fascination - 12/11 (B2B) Freeport, Nassau & Key West, Nassau
CCL Legend - 9/11 - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan,& Grand Cayman

CCL Fascination- 12/10 - Key West (NOT!), Nassau (5 days)
CCL Fascination- 09/10 - Half Moon Cay, Nassau (5 days)
CCL Dream - 12/09 - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten (7 days),
CCL Fascination - 04/09 - Nassau, Half Moon Cay (5 days)

CCL Celebration - 04/05 - Nassau, Key West (5 days),
SS Monterey - Fall/71 -Pacific Far East Lines - Honolulu to Los Angeles (5 days)

Last edited by gadawg66; September 9th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Old September 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just love MFP!
My best cruising friend has been trying to get me on the MFP bandwagon for a very long time but I kept trying things my own way (and failing miserably!)

I'm a Weight Watchers dropout multiple times and so far all that's working for me is now is the gentle nudge I get from fellow MFP people and a low carb diet. I don't have a whole lot to lose, but I do want to look a lot better on these cruises!!!

ANYONE trying to find the way to do this whole weight loss thing needs to really take a serious look at MFP. Best of all, it's FREE!!! I use the iPhone app to log my food/activity faithfully. The scanning of barcodes makes it all easy-peasy. This is the only "program" I've been able to stick with for more than a week and believe me, I didn't stick to a weight loss regimen for very long before this came along.

If you and I can help each other in any way, look me up. Jayfo1994

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

For those of us who are strategizing to stay within our limits on our next cruise (who on this board isnt!?), someone posted this as a free e-book available today on Amazon. Check it out!

Healthy Cruising: Leave Your Elastic Pants At Home

http://amzn.com/B0098TZU5E

Past Cruises
06/04/05 - (7day) Navigator of the Seas (Miami) - San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau
08/17/09 - (5day) Carnival Fantasy (New Orleans) - Progreso, Cozumel
01/29/11 - (5day) Carnival Destiny (Miami) - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
04/28/13 - (7day) Carnival Valor (San Juan) - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Unofficial VP of Port Inspection

Old September 29th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the book link! I'll have to wait until I can borrow again for my Prime Membership.

I love MFP... well, when I can remember to log in! I'm trying again and have logged in for the past week - go me! If you're intersted in more MFP friends, my screen name is Liz827

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey fellow MFP users. Im dcrummie on MFP. Little about me I have until April 7th, 2013 to reach some sort of goal. I started my weight loss journey Feb 22, 2011. Didnt have a real goal in mind except to see how far I could get by my then September cruise. I did manage to come down from a size 24 to a 18 but for some reason dont remember how much weight I had accually lost. Anywho Im now a size 14 lost roughly 85lbs and have been here for awhile. I would love to come down @ least 2 sizes by cruise time. I am re dedicating myself to myself the same as I didnt back then. You think I can pull it off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weightloss.jpg (15.5 KB, 15 views)

Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danashay30 View Post
Hey fellow MFP users. Im dcrummie on MFP. Little about me I have until April 7th, 2013 to reach some sort of goal. I started my weight loss journey Feb 22, 2011. Didnt have a real goal in mind except to see how far I could get by my then September cruise. I did manage to come down from a size 24 to a 18 but for some reason dont remember how much weight I had accually lost. Anywho Im now a size 14 lost roughly 85lbs and have been here for awhile. I would love to come down @ least 2 sizes by cruise time. I am re dedicating myself to myself the same as I didnt back then. You think I can pull it off?

YOU GO GIRL! You can do it! You look so much happier in your later photo!

I am maintaining at 20lbs down, but these last 10lbs are KILLING me! I cant quite seem to jump the hurdle. The more I exercise, the hungrier I am, and Im actually bobbing up and down 3lbs now. Booooo

Past Cruises
06/04/05 - (7day) Navigator of the Seas (Miami) - San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau
08/17/09 - (5day) Carnival Fantasy (New Orleans) - Progreso, Cozumel
01/29/11 - (5day) Carnival Destiny (Miami) - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
04/28/13 - (7day) Carnival Valor (San Juan) - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Unofficial VP of Port Inspection

Old October 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 2 months daily MFP, 2 months no check in & sill lost weight!

Hi to all the my fitness plan users. I'm happy to say after tracking my food for months I got a pretty good idea of what I could eat. Went on a cruise and came home peeked at scale 2 days normal amounts of food and salt and my weight was back at pre cruise weight. With that said my food is all recorded for today on MFP

Think MFP gives people great feed back based on what they eat. I added a multivitiamin & one with iron, etc based on days of tracking info. I will be leaving for big trip ~ 32 days cruise that I added a week in Paris plus a few days in Rome. I plan to buddy up with the gym scale & guess ingredients to stay in my range for calories. Since I do not speak, read French, Italian etc each meal will be an adventure.

I went to a weekly class in my area done for free by dad/ son that were on the biggest looser. Some things I agree on, some not. But I do agree you can not exercise off bad eating. (3000 calories 4 times a week, etc). I found out the lady next to me was a nutritionist at the class and would run by her some of my food choices (1avacado per day) etc. and we would discuss that. I found the frozen fajita chicken (strip of breast) a nice backup plan for a quick base to a meal. Fast zap in microwave and added them to a ton of stuff.

Wishing everyone great success on getting a bit more fit. What a great gift to our selfs for the holidays coming up. I'm off to walk my dog, and prepare my poor feet for all the walking in Italy.

Old October 27th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't really get the food diary stuff... I'd rather get a nutritionist to plan out my meals for me so I don't have to figure all of it out myself and can just eat by plan or whatever.

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default MFP or eat only what instructed to eat

The nice thing about how MFP is its versitility. When I went to a birthday party, I ate what food they had adjusting portions as I went and had an idea of what I ate. Same with meals out, you can look up meals before you go or once you come home. Success in loosing weight has been studied and keeping a journal by pen/ paper or apps like MFP have a much better % of success! If you set it up on your computer there are lots of things you can monitor on it. Very nice for those diabetics, renal patients, etc. I wish you every success in weight loss goal.

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've been using MFP for about three months now. I've only lost 5 lbs and have about 15 more to go before a feb cruise. I have managed to get my cholesterol in line tho and that is a plus. I've stepped up my excercises and try to be honest when I post even when I go over. It is a slow process but does help when it comes to portions.

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi..I've not posted on this thread before but have had computer problems all summer at my 2nd home in NC..now I'm back in FL and have discovered that everyone else that followed the old threads kind of dropped out too!
Anyway..I just want to chime in and say congrats to all who have had diet success.
Isn't MFP the best?! It's so easy to keep track of food, exercise, etc..
I've been using it since last April..never missed a day.
I started out April 1st at around 165lb..(I'm a 59 yr old female..5'4")..Am now down to 145 and have never felt better in my life! I do daily workouts and try to vary them..but always weights for toning, situps and other floor exercises along with a daily walk..I also throw in bike rides, treadmill, ski machine, stepper or something else everyday for variety. I considered this more of a lifestyle change than a diet cause I eat anything I want to..just not much of it.
We cruise about 25 days from now and although I doubt I'll be below 140 (my goal) I'm so happy to be wearing clothes that have been stashed in the back of my closet and the bottom of my dresser for almost ten years!
I intend to continue this program FOREVER and will not let myself gain on the cruise. I know I can do my daily workouts onboard ship..(I am a VERY EARLY riser)..and I've found from past cruises that if I don't overdo it I don't usually gain. I attribute it to more walking and activity than I'm used to (old, retired )
Congrats to all and stick with it..It's SO worth it!
X: Mercury (4x)
RCCL: Mariner
Princess: Sun/Coral

Old November 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been a very bad mfp'er lately!
I need you all to keep me on track my username is JBNL if anyone is interested in being weight loss pals!

Old November 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Next cruise 3/2/13.
Looking to LOSE before my next CRUISE!
Anyone looking for accountability??

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I love my fittness pal!

My husband and I joined back in June right after booking our cruise. I wanted to look better in my swim suit come January. I have to admit, I kept on track for the first month and a half, then stopped. But I am back at it and have lost a total of 19 pounds (8 of that twice, lol). I still have a ways to go, but it took 5 years and three kids to put it all on, so I am keeping it realistic and just hoping to be another 20 pounds down in January, but if not it is no big deal. I will still be snorkeling and having a blast in the Bahamas!

My username is renakay05 if you would like to add me! The more support we have the better!

Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I 'm only one week away from my cruise now..so excited..!!
I've been like a kid at Xmas..laying out clothes and discovering outfits that I had 'outgrown' years ago now fit!
MFP is such a help..really kept me motivated.
I'm down 22lbs since April..wanted to lose 25 but I'm pleased.
I plan to continue my good habits on my cruise and for the rest of my life.
I've never felt better!
Keep it up everyone..It's so worth it!
X: Mercury (4x)
RCCL: Mariner
Princess: Sun/Coral

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just synced mfp with my fitbit. Love it! both apps now work together. When I enter my meals in mfp it also shows up on my fitbit app. My calories burned. Also shows activity calories from fitbit. Very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Carnival Triumph 5/30/2009
Carnival Glory 5//31/2010

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennM View Post
Next cruise 3/2/13.
Looking to LOSE before my next CRUISE!
Anyone looking for accountability??
My next cruise is 5/14/13 and I'm looking for accountability!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Carnival Triumph 5/30/2009
Carnival Glory 5//31/2010

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm cruising at the end of February and I'm looking for accountability on mfp, I want to start logging again, but I always lose interest when I don't see the quick results. My user name is the same one I have here. Friend me over on mfp, let me know how you found me and we can support each other.

Old December 31st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default My Fitness Pal

Hello! I am on My Fitness Pal as SkinnyinItaly - I am trying to lose 27 pounds by April 27, 2013 for a European Cruise that leaves from Venice, Italy. My entire office is dieting with me and we all start TOMORROW. We are eating pumpkin rolls and chocolate candy today.

Regardless, I am going to REALLY stick with this and I REALLY want to enjoy my vacation as a healthier, happier individual. I need all the motivation and support I can get so please add me as a friend on My Fitness Pal and talk away!!
*Carnival ~ Spirit ~ B2B 12 nights ~ Vancouver, BC all the way to the Mexican Riviera (Ensenada, Manzanillo, PV, Cabo) ~2011
*Carnival ~ Triumph ~ Galveston ~ Progreso/Cozumel ~ 2012
*Carnival ~ Legend ~ Greek Isles (Italy/Croatia/Greece/Turkey/Spain) ~ 2013
My European Cruise Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850814

Up Next ~ China Yangzte River Cruise ~ Victoria Cruises