Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 4th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Punta Arenas DIY walk from ship?

I think we want to visit the penguins in Punta Arenas and if we do the shorter excursion can we see sights in the city on our own? (7 AM to 6 PM ) Jan 31 2012. The other tour is about 3 hours and can be done early. What should I see in Punta Arenas?

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM
50,000+ Club

If I understand your question you are going to go to Ottway Bay to see the Penguins. I would highly recommend that. Then are you asking when you arrive back can walk around the town of Punta Arenas and the answer is yes. We just walked around and took pictures of building and some of the local scenery and it is very doable. Is that your question?

Keith

Old September 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks Keith That was the question. It does not look like Punta Arenas is big enough to need the city tour.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Punta Arenas is tiny...

It is a small city - you can easily walk around, there are really only 2 main streets.

The cemetery is walking distance (if you like walking), and worth visiting for the architecture and the Irish/Scottish graves from the early settlers. Some interesting inscriptions where the translation into English hasn't quite worked!

Travel images:

http://www.travelimages.com.au/blog/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/parischris
Twitter: http://twitter.com/parischris

Expeditions:

2004 Hurtigruten on M/S Nordkapp Bergen - Kirkenes return
2006-7 M/S Nordkapp to Antarctica and Chilean Fjords
Dec 2008 Mare Australis - Punta Arenas to Ushuaia
Dec 2008 Minerva - Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia
Oct-Nov 2010 NG Explorer - South Georgia & The Falklands
Dec 2010 Galapagos on M/S Beagle
March 2012 NG Explorer - Cape Horn to Cape of Good Hope
July 2013 Le Boreal - Oslo to Reykjavik via Svalbard and East Greenland

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
Thanks Keith That was the question. It does not look like Punta Arenas is big enough to need the city tour.
Bowie MeMe, that is correct. You can just walk around the town on your own.

Keith

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,
can you walk to the city center/old town from the port? Or is it only walkable once you get there and must take a cab from the port to get to town?

thank you.
mila

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:49 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagarcia View Post
Hi,
can you walk to the city center/old town from the port? Or is it only walkable once you get there and must take a cab from the port to get to town?

thank you.
mila
You can walk right into the town. It's basically right there.

Keith

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
You can walk right into the town. It's basically right there.

Keith

thank you very much!

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Very quaint town
HAL(22) Rotterdam V - Caribbean, Rotterdam VI (3)- Panama, South America, Black Sea/Egypt, Noordam III(6) - Caribbean(4), Baltic, Mediterranean, Noordam IV-Caribbean, Statendam(3) - Alaska, NZ/Oz, Panama Canal Westerdam(3) - Caribbean, Zuiderdam(2)- Caribbean, Maasdam - North Atlantic (Voyage of the Vikings), Eurodam - Canada/NE, Prinsendam - British Isles
Celebrity(2) Constellation - Caribbean, Horizon - Bermuda
Sun Cruises(2) Carousel - Mediterranean, Sunbird - Caribbean
Windstar(1) Wind Surf - Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean(2) Splendour(2) Eastern Mediterranean
Disney(4) Magic(3) - Caribbean(2), Mediterranean
Wonder - Caribbean
Princess(1) Golden Princess - Caribbean
NCL(1) Norwegian Sun - Hawaii
Azamara (3) - Quest(3) - Caribbean(2), SE Asia
Orient Royal (1) - East King - Yangtze
CroisiEurope (1) MS Monet-Rhlne
AMA(2) AMADaggio-Rhone, AMASonata-Amsterdam-Budapest
G Adventures(1) Daphne - Galapagos

Next up Eurodam Dec. 28

"If a man is talking in the woods and no woman is around, is he still wrong?"

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Easy to do. After you leave the cruise termerial(note your hand carries will be xrayed for food) there are usually vans outside before leaving the port. The cost in January per person was 10 usd. to the Pegiuns. Then a 1 dollar charge for a road entrance and the fee for the park. 6usd. We got the starter of the van to add in a city tour, cemetery ( to see the grave of the Lost Indian) which gives you a good tour. Also went up on a small hill overlooking the port and then downtown for shopping Crafts set up in the main square. Good cheap shopping on the overlook and at the square. Some items were from Peru. If you are not going there it is an okay price. My little pegiun with real pegiun noise (though made in China) was a hit for everyone young children and even the adults.The only place we saw it. We ended out tour here, though could have continued on to the port. Following the crowds, it was a short walk back to the cruise termial. There is a supper market on the left about a half block form the c.t. You will see alot of ship personal here. Good place to get good, but cheap Chilean wines. I think the cemetery is a bit to far to walk to, cheap taxi a couple of dollars ride and taxis outside back. We were there two times this January and went back to the cemetary. Also there are good places to get King Crab legs( trip advisor) or guides.

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Small town. Not a lot there. Ushuaia more picturesque IMHO, though a little more difficult to navigate on foot with some steep streets/sidewalks that remind me a bit of San Francisco. I saw penguins near Ushuaia. In P.A. we walked around a bit, had lunch, and returned to the ship. Roughest seas of our B.A.-Valparaiso trip were after Punta Arenas.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattony View Post
Small town. Not a lot there. Ushuaia more picturesque IMHO, though a little more difficult to navigate on foot with some steep streets/sidewalks that remind me a bit of San Francisco. I saw penguins near Ushuaia. In P.A. we walked around a bit, had lunch, and returned to the ship. Roughest seas of our B.A.-Valparaiso trip were after Punta Arenas.
Hi Fattony,

Ushuaia is the only other port I dont have a guide or anything scheduled. what do you suggest I do. Is it not good to walk to town from the port? I wanted to possibly take the train, which says you can catch that from outside the port or take a cab to the southern most end of panamerica hwy. I would appreciate anything you could share, my husband wont be happy about walking steep streets. can I hire an english speaking taxi driver from outside the port?

thanks.
Mila

Old October 21st, 2011, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all my husband and I will travel a two or three days early on the Rio to Santiago cruise .We plan to see that area before the cruise. Any advice on the Intercontinental Rio regarding safety and also transportation from hotel to the ship?

Old October 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
I think we want to visit the penguins in Punta Arenas and if we do the shorter excursion can we see sights in the city on our own? (7 AM to 6 PM ) Jan 31 2012. The other tour is about 3 hours and can be done early. What should I see in Punta Arenas?

We took one private excursion to see the Penguins and I highly recommend it. It was an unbelievable day and you get very close to hundreds upon hundreds of penguin in a beautiful setting. And, once you arrive you can walk around either in small groups or by yourself so you don't have the type of distractions you sometimes get on organized tours. We have seen penguins in other areas but to us this is a must see.

Old October 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Penguins - Punta Arenas

Celebrity has an excursion for $189 pp to visit the penguins on Magdalena Island. Apparently, you take a 2 hour ferry ride to the island. Is Ottway Bay better than Magdalena Island. It sounds so much easier to get to.
Thank you for any help.

Old October 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here are my notes on this day: Punta Arenas - we got a taxi to take us out to the Otway penguin colony first thing in the morning. I think we paid about $60 for the 3 of us. The guy stopped several places along the way so we could take pictures of sheep, condors, interesting trees, ranches, and beautiful flowers. For the photos alone, I was glad we took a taxi rather than shuttle or bus. We had him drop us at the local cemetary... do stop here...it's more interesting than the one in Buenos Aires. From there we walked about 8 blocks into town, stopped at supermarket for lunch snacks. The main square in town has a market with local crafts. It's possible to walk about 6 blocks up a hill from the main square for a very nice view of the city and the beagle channel.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
5,000+ Club

The penguin colonies are much better and larger at Volunteer Point, but as there's not much else to do in Puntas, we also went to the Seno Otway colony on a tour.

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

EMAIL

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmliller View Post
We took one private excursion to see the Penguins and I highly recommend it. It was an unbelievable day and you get very close to hundreds upon hundreds of penguin in a beautiful setting. And, once you arrive you can walk around either in small groups or by yourself so you don't have the type of distractions you sometimes get on organized tours. We have seen penguins in other areas but to us this is a must see.
Hi Mmliller,

Can you tell us where you saw the Penguins, Otway or somewhere else?

Thank you.

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now I am really confused. Is this the best port to see the penquins? If so Otway or Mangdelena.
Apparently these are different types of penguins than in the Falklands?
I starting to think that in every port, I'm taking an excursion to see penguins! Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Depends on the ports you're going to1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansterre View Post
Now I am really confused. Is this the best port to see the penquins? If so Otway or Mangdelena.
Apparently these are different types of penguins than in the Falklands?
I starting to think that in every port, I'm taking an excursion to see penguins! Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
If you are going to the Falklands, it is the only place you MAY see a pair of lost King Penguins trying to breed amongst the gentoo penguins. If you go to Bluff Cove on the Falklands, you'll also see Magellanic penguins.

The penguins that you can see at Otway or Magdalena are mostly Magellanic. There will be the occasional itinerant (ie lost) gentoo, but the large colonies are Magellanics. If you go on to Ushuaia, you may see some more magellanic penguins (the colony is a long trip away) and the same chance of itinerant 'others', but more plentiful are seals and cormorants, and the occasional whale and dolphin.

Travel images:

http://www.travelimages.com.au/blog/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/parischris
Twitter: http://twitter.com/parischris

Expeditions:

2004 Hurtigruten on M/S Nordkapp Bergen - Kirkenes return
2006-7 M/S Nordkapp to Antarctica and Chilean Fjords
Dec 2008 Mare Australis - Punta Arenas to Ushuaia
Dec 2008 Minerva - Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia
Oct-Nov 2010 NG Explorer - South Georgia & The Falklands
Dec 2010 Galapagos on M/S Beagle
March 2012 NG Explorer - Cape Horn to Cape of Good Hope