Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old September 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Transexual cruising

Hi,

I have a male friend who likes to cross dress and would love to experience a cruise as his female alter ego. Any advice on this?
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - B2B - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old September 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
5,000+ Club

No direct experience, but have read on here that there are group cruises for cross dressers. I would check out the search function to get some leads. As I understand the cruises I 've read about, they were primarily for heterosexual cross dressers, and often with their supportive wives. I'm not sure about any cruises specifically for those who are in transition, or those who more identify with the gay community. Hopefully, there is a cruise that matches your uncle's situation.

AndrAndrew

Old September 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
5,000+ Club

I do not mean this in a negative sense but if he goes on a standard cruise, his experience may depend upon how "flamboyant" he is. I would also guess that a cruise that caters to younger people might be better as younger people are probably less judgmental than older folk.

DON

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:16 AM
10,000+ Club

Thanks guys. Not my uncle, just a friend.

He's not flamboyant but really enjoys going out dressed as a woman; he wears age appropriate clothing etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

It makes perfect sense, and I agree that it's an excellent opportunity. There would be no one there who knows him. I do caution though that he would would have to do excursions as his male self though, because they check your picture going on and off the ship. To avoid this, he could either work with the crew so they understood the situation, or just stay on board for port days.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile View Post
It makes perfect sense, and I agree that it's an excellent opportunity. There would be no one there who knows him. I do caution though that he would would have to do excursions as his male self though, because they check your picture going on and off the ship. To avoid this, he could either work with the crew so they understood the situation, or just stay on board for port days.
Great advice. Thank you so much.

Where I'm Going :

Old September 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbertsNiece View Post
Thanks guys. Not my uncle, just a friend.

He's not flamboyant but really enjoys going out dressed as a woman; he wears age appropriate clothing etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.
Might give her a whirl on the dance floor

USS Stoddard (DD566), USS Dale (DLG 19), USS Coronado (LPD11)

Disney Wonder (4 day) Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Disney Magic Western Caribbean Nov/Dec 2009, Alaska Inside Passage RCL Rhapsody of the Seas May 2010, Star Princess Mar/Apr 2011 Southern Caribbean Medley, January 2012 Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Voyager, February 2013 Coral Princess Panama Canal, January 2014 Grand Princess Hawaii

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post
I would also guess that a cruise that caters to younger people might be better as younger people are probably less judgmental than older folk.

DON
I think the opposite may be true. Younger people in groups who are drinking a lot are a lot more likely to be disrespectful than seniors.
Costa Magica E Med Nov 2013
NCL Pearl W Carib Dec 2012
Costa Serena W Med Nov 2012
Carnival Liberty W Carib Sept 2012
Carnival Destiny W Carib Sept 2011
RC Serenade S Carib March 2011 (Atlantis)
Celebrity Solstice E Carib May 2010
Celebrity Summit S Carib March 2010
Celebrity Century W Carib Feb 2009
HAL Westerdam E Carib Oct 2008
RC Enchantment W Carib Dec 2006

Old September 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Searching for transexual cruise and cross-dressing cruise turned up several hits. It seems like most of them are small groups on larger ships. Sort of like Pied Piper cruises.

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.[/quote]
Hi Linda, try a google search that contains the words dignity and cruise, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but it may give an idea of what is out there. Normally when groups like this travel together the cruise lines are told what to expect as to minimize any misunderstandings with the crew. The normal popular cruise lines are familiar with these passengers even though I don't believe they represent a huge portion of the cruise market. In short I don't believe you (or him) would encounter any problems if he wished to take a cruise privately. I know of instances where they boarded as herself, but I'm sure it would be much easier boarding as him.

Yes, it does make sense.

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our Dignity cruises are listed at www.pmpub.com.

Old October 10th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Acworth Georgia (NW of Atlanta, Marietta and Kennasaw)

I get bad remarks from younger types when Im wearing my Kilts. And im not trying to look female.. I just ignore others. There was a "transgender" type on the Miracle cruise I took Nov 2009. There was conversation going around talking about this person. I didnt see "it or her" till the last couple days of trip in one of the last ports sitting out by the pool.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm sure the younger types are a bit less secure in their feelings and resort to ridicule as a defense mechanism. Hopefully as they grow older they will become a bit more tolerant to those who don't conform to their "normal."

Old October 16th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I get bad remarks from younger types when Im wearing my Kilts. And im not trying to look female.. I just ignore others. There was a "transgender" type on the Miracle cruise I took Nov 2009. There was conversation going around talking about this person. I didnt see "it or her" till the last couple days of trip in one of the last ports sitting out by the pool.

"It or her"? And YOU complain about "bad remarks?" Jeez.

I know it might seem stereotyping, but my take on it is to aim for cruises from the West Coast, especially San Francisco. The Bay Area has a large and visible trans community; one ex-president of our Police Commission is male-to-female, and honestly, she never got flack for it. (Not to mention all the cute female-to-male guys running around out here. )

Or try something out of NYC. My personal experience is that FL cruises tend to attract, um, demographic groups who might be less respectful of transpeople, referring to them as "it" and the like. And Galveston? Ask Rick Perry.

Edit- Nomenclature nit-pick: cross-dressers are generally regarded as transgendered, not transsexual.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 12/14 Coral Princess - Panama partial transit * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Last edited by shepp; October 16th, 2011 at 04:55 AM.

Old October 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepp View Post
"It or her"? And YOU complain about "bad remarks?" Jeez.

I know it might seem stereotyping, but my take on it is to aim for cruises from the West Coast, especially San Francisco. The Bay Area has a large and visible trans community; one ex-president of our Police Commission is male-to-female, and honestly, she never got flack for it. (Not to mention all the cute female-to-male guys running around out here. )

Or try something out of NYC. My personal experience is that FL cruises tend to attract, um, demographic groups who might be less respectful of transpeople, referring to them as "it" and the like. And Galveston? Ask Rick Perry.

Edit- Nomenclature nit-pick: cross-dressers are generally regarded as transgendered, not transsexual.

You were probably thinking I was making fun of this person. I wasnt. I can care less what others do or dress. I just couldnt tell if this person had a sex change or just cross dressing. that is why I sayed "It".. "She" was wearing a 2 peice bikini, and it didnt show much of the "male" parts like say me wearing a Speedo. As far I im conserned, this person had a sex change. The arms, hands, and upper torso were to muscular to be of a women. But there are some women body builders around also. This could of been one of them which made others thinking she was a cross dresser.

Old October 18th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBe View Post
I'm sure the younger types are a bit less secure in their feelings and resort to ridicule as a defense mechanism. Hopefully as they grow older they will become a bit more tolerant to those who don't conform to their "normal."
Actually, on that same cruise on the Miracle, A group of younger teens (13-16) give or take acually gave me a very positive comment about my Kilt and wished other guys wore them. There are about 5 of them stopped me in the hallway next to elevator to make the comment.

Old October 20th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
You were probably thinking I was making fun of this person. I wasnt. I can care less what others do or dress. I just couldnt tell if this person had a sex change or just cross dressing. that is why I sayed "It"..
While I can appreciate that some male transvestites might prefer to think of themselves as men in dresses, there's a noteworthy difference between "him or her" and "it or her." Just sayin'.

Also, transpeople are not "transgender," they're transgender. The quotes seem kinda snarky, like rightwing websites putting quotes around "gay marriage," as though it were a dubious fiction.

And not all transsexuals have had sex change operations.

Like I said, just sayin'.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 12/14 Coral Princess - Panama partial transit * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Last edited by shepp; October 20th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.