LIVE from the Ocean Princess - 28 days from Rome to Singapore 10/15 - 11/12/2011

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:46 AM.
Greenville, SC, USA
51,192 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Pia,

You mentioned that Luke is the lead male singer. Is Ruth the dance captain? We spent 96 days with them in 2009.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
trinity park. Cairns
1,791 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Hi, I have also spent many nights with Luke and Ruth, when they were "down under" on contract with P&O, a lovely couple.

kind regards, Lorraine
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
countries visited...New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Papua/New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji, American Samoa, Western Samoa, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti,( Hawaii, Alaska, California in United States), Canada. Singapore, Malaysia,
Indonesia.
Waimea, Big Island, Hawaii
3,265 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I'll add a couple of quick notes about this and that. Cochin - VERY hot and humid and this is the 'cool season' - wouldn't want to try it in August! One of our trivia team, Keith, and his wife Judith picked the 'good tour' of the day - the Kerala Cruise - Keith said it was relatively cool (at least until their lunch stop) and his pictures were fascinating. It is also the tour that Petra, the port lecturer, said was the best. It was an all day one, though and we weren't really up for another long day at the time we picked the shorter old city one. Looked like it would have been interesting to cross the river over to the newer part of Cochin, and it also appeared that there was some kind of ferry service, leaving from somewhere close to our berth and calling at both the other sections of the city - the old one where our bus tour went, and the new city across the river. Might be worth looking into if you are calling here.

We were all awakened last night around 12:45 or so with a broadcast announcement calling for an assessment team. Nothing else came over the PA system so settled back in to go to sleep, since we didn't hear any Sierra Papa code - but as you can imagine, rumors of all kinds ran rampant until the Captain made an extensive announcement at 9AM today explaining that there had been a small fire in one of the generators, quickly noted, responded to, contained without serious damage. He gave a lot more detail than that, but the upshot is that all is well, damage is minimal, and repairs are being done and the generator (one of four, we can get by on two) should be back online sometime during the day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna
www.fromhawaiitotheworld.com

Past Cruises: Sea Princess - Alaska, 2002, Dawn Princess - Honolulu-Tahiti-Honolulu, 2003, Coral Princess - Panama Canal, 2004, Star Princess - Eastern & Western Caribbean, 2004, Grand Princess - Grand Mediterranean, 2005, Golden Princess - British Isles, 2005, Pacific Princess - Islands of the Pacific Theater, 2006, Star Princess-Baltic and Transatlantic, 2006, Golden Princess - Buenos Aires to San Francisco, spring 2007, Sapphire Princess - Bangkok to Beijing to Bangkok, fall 2007, Sea Princess Med and Iberian, spring 2008; Royal Princess Canada and Colonial America, Ruby Princess Western Caribbean, fall 2008, Pacific Princess Fort Lauderdale to Manaus and back, Spring 2009, Coral Princess Alaska to FLL Fall 2009, Diamond Princess Sydney to Auckland, Jan 2010, Ocean Princess June/July 2010 - Norwegian Fjords and Northern Transatlantic, Westerdam Oct/Nov 2010 - Med and Southern Transatlantic, Feb/Mar/Apr 2011 Sun Princess around New Zealand, Dawn Princess around Australia, Oct/Nov 2011 Ocean Princess Rome to Singapore, Apr/May 2012 Diamond Princess Singapore to Vancouver, Nov 2012 Grand Princess Transatlantic, May 2014 Rotterdam Norway, March 2015 Singpore to Singapore with Myanmar, Volendam, Aug 2015 Amsterdam to Basel, Viking Eir, Sept 2015 Transatlantic, Caribbean Princess

41,654 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Yes, Ruth is dance captain. She's very nice. Have cruised with them previously. Just celebrated her 30th B-day a few days ago.

To add to Donna's post, we can now sleep with our drapes open and even with our balcony lights on.

And to Seabourn: Mike doesn't eat cookies anymore; his choice. The treadmills are fine. Nobody hardly uses them. We go up at a little past 7 and sometimes the only people there. Not everyone is as disciplined.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pia

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by Pia1913
Yes, Ruth is dance captain. She's very nice. Have cruised with them previously. Just celebrated her 30th B-day a few days ago.

To add to Donna's post, we can now sleep with our drapes open and even with our balcony lights on.

And to Seabourn: Mike doesn't eat cookies anymore; his choice. The treadmills are fine. Nobody hardly uses them. We go up at a little past 7 and sometimes the only people there. Not everyone is as disciplined.
Poor Mike....I remember the good old days when he and I would run up to the Horizon Court and bring back a bowl of cookies! DO you think the "Internet Hogs" are slowing down the bandwith with using skype etc?
Sartell MN
38 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Donna, Sounds like quite the adventure and something I would really enjoy, my wife and I have been on four cruises now and have our fifth one planned for 2013, all in the Caribbean. I have enjoyed reading your thread along with pia's since my wife and I are thinking we would like to try something other then the Caribbean on future cruises. One last thing, I know I am a little off the subject here but could you tell me how you got the illustrations of the ships you sailed on and when your sailed on them to appear in your posts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Majesty of the Seas 1999
Sea Princess 2002
Caribbean Princess 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Caribbean Princess 2013
Disney Dream 2014

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes!
Kansas
2,246 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Donna, I really enjoyed reading your overland reports. I would love to see the Taj along with everything else. You did a great job organizing that side trip. Lots of details to tend to. Amazing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:
Pacific Princess - April 24, 2016 - 17 day Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale to San Pedro

Past Cruises:
2/23/2013 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/2011 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
1/2/2011 HAL Zaandam - 10 Day Sea of Cortez
12/15/2010 Coral Princess - 15 Day - Panama Canal
12/21/09 HAL Statendam - 18 Day - Panama Canal
09/14/09 Coral Princess - 11 Day Alaska Cruise Tour
12/20/08 Emerald Princess - 10 Day Caribbean - FL
12/18/07 Diamond Princess - 15 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/06 Celebrity Millennium - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/14/05 Coral Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/18/04 Caribbean Princess - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/16/03 Island Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/12/02 Sea Princess - 7 Day Caribbean out of San Juan
12/14/01 Celebrity Galaxy - 7 Day Caribbean - San Juan
Greenville, SC, USA
51,192 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Pia,
If you get a chance, ask Ruth if she will be on in April for the cruise from Singapore to Cape Town.
Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Waimea, Big Island, Hawaii
3,265 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Minnesota Pickle
I know I am a little off the subject here but could you tell me how you got the illustrations of the ships you sailed on and when your sailed on them to appear in your posts.
Those come from Nauticalcities - I think that's right anyway - you can click on one of them and it will go to the website and you should be able to create easily.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna
www.fromhawaiitotheworld.com

Past Cruises: Sea Princess - Alaska, 2002, Dawn Princess - Honolulu-Tahiti-Honolulu, 2003, Coral Princess - Panama Canal, 2004, Star Princess - Eastern & Western Caribbean, 2004, Grand Princess - Grand Mediterranean, 2005, Golden Princess - British Isles, 2005, Pacific Princess - Islands of the Pacific Theater, 2006, Star Princess-Baltic and Transatlantic, 2006, Golden Princess - Buenos Aires to San Francisco, spring 2007, Sapphire Princess - Bangkok to Beijing to Bangkok, fall 2007, Sea Princess Med and Iberian, spring 2008; Royal Princess Canada and Colonial America, Ruby Princess Western Caribbean, fall 2008, Pacific Princess Fort Lauderdale to Manaus and back, Spring 2009, Coral Princess Alaska to FLL Fall 2009, Diamond Princess Sydney to Auckland, Jan 2010, Ocean Princess June/July 2010 - Norwegian Fjords and Northern Transatlantic, Westerdam Oct/Nov 2010 - Med and Southern Transatlantic, Feb/Mar/Apr 2011 Sun Princess around New Zealand, Dawn Princess around Australia, Oct/Nov 2011 Ocean Princess Rome to Singapore, Apr/May 2012 Diamond Princess Singapore to Vancouver, Nov 2012 Grand Princess Transatlantic, May 2014 Rotterdam Norway, March 2015 Singpore to Singapore with Myanmar, Volendam, Aug 2015 Amsterdam to Basel, Viking Eir, Sept 2015 Transatlantic, Caribbean Princess

Toronto
1,454 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Yesterday in Cochin we did another CC arranged tour (Cochin Magic). Due to the immigration checks that we had to go through, the tour started a half hour late and ended up being quite rushed. Our guide was not as good as we had in Mumbai with Mumbai Magic. We went to the oldest Christian church (where Vasco de Gama was originally buried) and the oldest Synagogue in the Jewish quarter, an area were fishing is done in the old Chinese cantilever method. We then did a drive of about 70 km to an area that has a lot of rice paddies. Part of the ride was semi highway and part through busy streets. We passed an elephant walking along the road and did a quick photo stop from the bus. The area has canals that lead to a large lake. We took a nice ride in an Indian version of a house boat for about an hour and half and then back to the ship. The drive back was another 1.5 hours which got us to the ship just in time for final boarding. (Several Princess tours were later but we did not know that before). I thought the driving in other ports was crazy but in Cochin the driving is a white knuckle experience for passengers not used to it. Our driver spent half the time it seemed honking the horn. He would pass just about anytime expecting the on coming traffic to move onto the shoulder so he could keep going. At one red light traffic lined up 4 across to see who would get into the single lane first. When one vehicle is being passed and another driver thinks they are not passing fast enough the second passer will go 3 wide to complete a double pass. The amazing thing is there is very little sign of any thing like road rage.
It mystifies me way the staff chose last night for the champagne waterfall party. Most passengers were up early for the tours and the 134 that took the Princess tour to the Taj Mahl were up before 4 AM. (Reports are that trip was very worthwhile despite the long days and missed time in other ports). Most people were way too tired to attend a party like that. With today being the first of 4 sea days it would have made a lot more sense to have it on one of those days. The party was moved indoors due to rain that started just as we started sailing. It was basically a dancing party with a small fruit and desert buffet and a chance to get your photo taken pouring champagne into a pyramid of glasses. Fun for those that like dancing and first timers but not a big deal to most others.
Today was a mix of sun and cloud. I only caught part of the ‘Lairs All’ show which was very well attended and funny. During dinner as the sun set there was a large rain cloud just beside it making for a wonderful view with the contrast. Once the sun was down there was a great lightening show that we had a front row view from our table.
41,654 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Tuesday,November 8th, and I cannot keep track of the time. We moved ahead an hour last night and I thought it was 11 hours ahead of EST. However, looking at Fox this morning, it may actually be 12. No matter. I'll gain them back eventually. We watched the movie (forgot the title) with Sean Penn last night. The one about Valerie Plame the CIA operative who get exposed in the press.

On tap this morning is the lecture "The Battle of Midway", another last chance $10 sale and a Back Stage tour. The afternoon has a lecture on Kuala Lumpur, Princess Pyramid and the passenger talent show. Tonight is the "going to be on the ship's forever" production show Motor City.

Answer: No. No Taj offered from Mumbai.

Time for breakfast here. Your dinner yesterday, there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pia

Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
18,448 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by need2travel
I really appreciate everyone's reporting of their experiences. Thank you all.Did Princess offer "Taj Mahal in a day" out of Mumbai as well as the overland excursion?
Taj Mahal in a day has been offerred in the past.....
however ....I believe it is a very difficult and expensive tour to organise.
It has to be done by a charter flight with the nearest airport to Agra being a Military one ,
for which special permission needs to be obtained in order to land.
In 2005 the cost for the tour was just on One Thousand dollars,($US) per person ,
so I shudder to think what they would have to charge today.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
SF Bay Area
2,267 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Dear Pia and Donna - I must really be a cruise junkie. Got home from the Ruby late last night and here I am today reading about all of your adventures at sea! This thread makes for a great read.

Sailing on the Ruby really made us appreciate the little ships.

It sounds like you are getting great lectures...are you enjoying them? Are they well presented?

Donna - did you end up using Chaman Thakur's tour company? It's a shame that you lost money on the exchange rate.

The last night on the Ruby they had a Mega Trivia...80+ questions! Every member of the cruise staff participated and it was lots of fun. We didn't win but came close. Bet you would have enjoyed it!

Happy sailing!

Dee & John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1953~ MV Britannic - NY-Liverpool-NY ~1961~ RMS Loch Avon - Southampton, RMS Darro - San Francisco ~1979~ Sun Princess - Panama Canal ~1980~ Norway - Caribbean ~1993~ Fair Princess - Hawaii/Tahiti ~1998~ Island Princess - World Cruise ~1999~ Sky Princess - Alaska/Asia ~2000~ Pacific Princess - Africa ~2001~ R8 - South America ~2002~ Regal Princess - Asia & Pacific ~2003~ Caronia - W. Africa + Royal Princess - Europe/Africa/Antarctica/South America ~2004~ Royal Princess - Amazon/Europe + Sun Princess - Panama + Pacific Princess - Pacific/South America/Africa/Australia ~2005 ~ Mercury - Mexico + Star Princes - Baltic/Transatlantic/Caribbean + Diamond Princess - Asia/Australia/NZ ~2006~ Dawn Princess - Mexico + Archipell - Galapagos + Regal Princess - Alaska + Pacific Princess - India/Asia/Africa/Australia ~2007~ Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Marquesas/Cook Islands + Seabourn Pride - Transatlantic + Sapphire Princess - Alaska/Asia + Golden Princess - Christmas in Mexico ~2008~ Royal Princess - Amazon/Baltic/Med + Sea Princess - Med/No. Europe + Royal Princess - Eastern Seaboard/So. America + Coral Princess - Panama Canal ~2009~ Seabourn Spirit - Asia/Middle East/Med + Segundo Amor - circumnavigation of Catalina Island + Sun Princess - circumnavigation of Oz ~2010~ Ocean Princess - Asia/India/Middle East/Africa/Europe/Atlantic crossing + Sea Princess - Alaska + Costa Atlantica - Quebec to FL + Sapphire Princess - Mexico ~2011~ Queen Victoria - Hawaii + SeaDream I - Transatlantic + Pacific Princess - Black Sea/Israel/Egypt + Ruby Princess - Med/Transatlantic ~2012~ Star Princess - Around Cape Horn ~2013~ Sun Princess - Around Japan + Grand Princess - California and Mexico + Grand Princess - holiday Hawaii family cruise ~2014~ Grand Princess - BC Canada + Grand Princess - Sea of Cortez + Celebrity Silhouette - Caribbean ~2015~ Ocean Princess - Europe/Africa + Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary cruise ~2016~ Pacific Princess - World cruise - no more room!
Kansas
2,246 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Kiwi Kruzer
Taj Mahal in a day has been offerred in the past.....
however ....I believe it is a very difficult and expensive tour to organise.
It has to be done by a charter flight with the nearest airport to Agra being a Military one ,
for which special permission needs to be obtained in order to land.
In 2005 the cost for the tour was just on One Thousand dollars,($US) per person ,
so I shudder to think what they would have to charge today.
For sure not in my budget anytime soon. So glad Donna shared the details of her side trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:
Pacific Princess - April 24, 2016 - 17 day Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale to San Pedro

Past Cruises:
2/23/2013 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/2011 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
1/2/2011 HAL Zaandam - 10 Day Sea of Cortez
12/15/2010 Coral Princess - 15 Day - Panama Canal
12/21/09 HAL Statendam - 18 Day - Panama Canal
09/14/09 Coral Princess - 11 Day Alaska Cruise Tour
12/20/08 Emerald Princess - 10 Day Caribbean - FL
12/18/07 Diamond Princess - 15 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/06 Celebrity Millennium - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/14/05 Coral Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/18/04 Caribbean Princess - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/16/03 Island Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/12/02 Sea Princess - 7 Day Caribbean out of San Juan
12/14/01 Celebrity Galaxy - 7 Day Caribbean - San Juan
Sydney, Australia
176 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Hi Pia and Donna,
Thank you so very much for all the information you are sharing. We are doing the same cruise next year so we are following your progress closely.
Heather and Peter
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

41,654 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
To those doing this itinerary in the future, I can only wish upon you the same wonderful weather we have had all the way.

Dee, I'm sure Tina will tell me all about the mega trivia. As for the lectures, one guy us excellent, the other presenter is good for napping. Hey.......can't win em' all. Also, hi from Leah and Jim.

I have finally figured out the time. It's 12 hours later than EST. Time for some wine and dinner to follow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pia

kentucky
255 Posts
Joined May 2009
Pia and Donna--this itinerary is on my bucket list--and I have certainly enjoyed reading of your travels! Thanks for letting me share the joys of your trip
New Orleans
136 Posts
Joined May 2000
Thanks, Pia, Donah, Wayne,,and David for your wonderfully informative posts and pictures!
We are thinking of booking the Ocean for April's Singapore- Capetown. Although we're veterans of many cruises, the longest we've done was 16 days on the Golden from New Orleans-Rio a few years back.
I've really enjoyed the detailed accounts of the shore excursions, as well as daily life on the ship. Looking forward to following along until the end of your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anne