NCL Customer Service

ncl12345

I am posting this as this story unfolds but my immediate question why NCL can dump a nearly 80 year old couple of U.S. citizens in Colombia without funds or assistance to get home. My parents embarked on the 2 week Panama canal cruise that left Los Angeles on 10/1. Apparently along the way my father fell ill. Because of his health (he has an implanted defibulator) he purchased NCL’s trip insurance so he would be evacuated to the U.S. should he become ill. It would seem that on Wednesday 10/12, NCL unceremoniously dumped my parents in Cartagena, Columbia for treatment. As their son, I am listed as their emergency contact. NCL did not have the common courtesy to call me and let me know that they had been put off of the ship. I did not find out until my mother called me at 10 pm on 10/14 to tell me where they were and that they had maxed out their credit cards paying for treatment, using the phone of a kind “missionary” as she put it. My wife immediately contacted NCL who claimed they did not have any information that they were not on the ship. It is presently 2 pm on 10/15 and after numerous calls to NCL they are claiming they are unable to get anyone on their ship to respond so they have no information. They have repeatedly ignored my request to at minimum return my calls with information. They have failed to call me even once. The ship is due to arrive back in Tampa tomorrow morning at 6 am and is today in its last port of call, Key West, FL. I find it unfathomable that they cannot reach a ship that is currently docked in the U.S. They also failed to call the agent of the insurance company Berkely Care and their provider called “On Call Assistance” which I am told is standard procedure in circumstances such as this and that they take over from there. A call from us to Berkely Care this afternoon at 1 pm revealed that NCL had failed to notify them and open a claim file on my parent’s behalf. We opened that file ourselves but at this point there is little they can do. I have also contacted the State Department to see what assistance they can provide. As elderly Florida residents I feel that NCL’s treatment is less than humane and something I would be interested in knowing their excuse for.

Follow-up: NCL representative Harmony finally called. She claimed she had information about my parents. That information was that Tom Mulligan from the consulate had contacted her about my parents. That is solely because I had already spoken to Tom Mulligan (the State Department patched me through to him) who said he had called NCL and was going to be calling them again. I had told him that when he spoke to them again that he should advise them that they should return my call. She also began denying that NCL had said that they couldn’t confirm that my parents were not on the boat which she and the other agent both said was the reason they were supposedly emailing the ship in the first place. BTW – they communicate in an emergency with their ship by EMAIL. REALLY…

Also, a wonderful representative from Berkely Care was able to contact their on the ground people and they patched a call through to me so I've spoken to my Mom today. She is beside herself and very weepy but so far only worse for wear.

And can you believe NCL held my parents up for $70 cash (no credit card accepted) to return THEIR passports to them to get off the ship!!!

Follow-up: NCL representative Harmony finally called. She claimed she had information about my parents. That information was that Tom Mulligan from the consulate had contacted her about my parents. That is solely because I had already spoken to Tom Mulligan (the State Department patched me through to him) who said he had called NCL and was going to be calling them again. I had told him that when he spoke to them again that he should advise them that they should return my call. She also began denying that NCL had said that they couldn’t confirm that my parents were not on the boat which she and the other agent both said was the reason they were supposedly emailing the ship in the first place. BTW – they communicate in an emergency with their ship by EMAIL. REALLY…

Also, a wonderful representative from Berkely Care was able to contact their on the ground people and they patched a call through to me so I've spoken to my Mom today. She is beside herself and very weepy but so far only worse for wear.

And can you believe NCL held my parents up for $70 cash (no credit card accepted) to return THEIR passports to them to get off the ship!!!

Wow. I don't even know what to say. Its like a bad dream I'm reading. Is this REALLY happening??? How awful!

I really hope this is not true. NCL, please tell me this part is not true.

I'm shocked. When my husband ended up in the hospital in Roatan, the ship contaced the port rep. She sent a taxi to the pier to collect me and my sister-in-law. The port rep took care of everything and babysat us.

The NCL desk agent did ask me if I wanted my bill, though, as I was leaving the ship. Since we didn't know if my husband was alive or dead, thought that was just a little callous! Keep us informed. Good wishes to your parents.

I'm a little confused here. I'm going to talk to myself to see if I can uncover something or other. Where did your dad fall ill, while ON the ship, and in her infirmary? If so I would think the doctor would have notified the captain that he was recommending immediate treatment on shore, no air lift. Perhaps the question of having travel insurance did not come up? But if he was in the ship's infirmary, I imagine the ship was expecting payment for seeing the doctor and your mother would have told the doctor or nurse that he had Berkley Care travel insurance. but since nothing happened to inform Berkley, I'd guess he did not fall ill and go to the infirmary, right?

But if he fell ill in his cabin, and your mother got him off the ship, then I wonder where the ball was dropped. Could she have physically removed him herself? If not, then there was some assistance required from some ship personnel, or if a call was made to a facility on land, then surely the Captain knew since he'd have had to give permission for those medical people to board. Again, perhaps no one asked if he had travel insurance, so no one contacted Berkley Care.

Someone has to contact Berkley care in order for them to take over, and start a file. If the passenger himself cannot do it, then I hope your mother asked someone on the ship to do so while she was tending your father.

I know you are distraught and may not know the answer to my questions above, but please let us know some more details as you find them out.

I, too, buy travel insurance for the sole purpose of being air lifted out should I become ill or have an accident on board. But for that to happen, I or my traveling companion have to notify the insurance company, I'd think.

I have just turned 71 and do not have the brain I had even 10 years ago, so I sympathize with your parents who are older than I, and wonder how I'd feel at that age when something along those lines happened to me. It's easy for me to say, "I or my traveling companion must contact the insurance provider" but in reality, with the confusion that must have surrounded them, I can see that that possibly did not happen.

Regardless of whose fault it is that Berkley Care was not notified, now that they have been notified, I hope that they will provide the transportation necessary to reunite your family and get your father the proper medical treatment he needs.

Sounds like a good job for your Senator. Hope he is able to do some substantial butt kicking which sounds decidedly in order.

I don't usually jump on the "sue 'em" bandwagon, but I sure hope you can get hold of a good junkyard dog lawyer asap.

We're missing some info here. If he was unloaded (kicked off) they would have emptied the cabin, including passports etc. Some of these facts don't make sense. I'm sure we need to get more info. Hope all works out.

Now, if he fell ill while they were ashore and missed the ship sailing, this would all make more sense. If the ship sailed without them, not having first hand info and the insurance company not knowing would make sense. Let us know what you find out.

We're missing some info here. If he was unloaded (kicked off) they would have emptied the cabin, including passports etc. Some of these facts don't make sense. I'm sure we need to get more info. Hope all works out.

Now, if he fell ill while they were ashore and missed the ship sailing, this would all make more sense. If the ship sailed without them, not having first hand info and the insurance company not knowing would make sense. Let us know what you find out.

I have to agree with rvsullivan that more info is needed but I find it very strange that 2 people in this post have "found" CC today only to post complaints.....

I could be wrong, but I think the trip insurance medical coverage is usually secondary to the primary medical coverage, which in this case is Medicare (an assumption based on their ages). I think Medicare covers you while on land in a foreign country like most health insurance, and even on the high seas (while many medical insurance plans do not cover you while on the high seas). But depending on the remote location's policies, you may have to pay and get reimbursed.

I could be wrong, but I think the trip insurance medical coverage is usually secondary to the primary medical coverage, which in this case is Medicare (an assumption based on their ages). I think Medicare covers you while on land in a foreign country like most health insurance, and even on the high seas (while many medical insurance plans do not cover you while on the high seas). But depending on the remote location's policies, you may have to pay and get reimbursed.

Medicare doesn't cover anything outside of the US as I understand it. As far as the travel insurance goes that depends on how the policy is written. I always make sure that I purchase a policy that is primary and one that will guarentee payment to the provider so the provider will provide treatment without upfront payment.

No basic Medicare(parts A B and D) does not cover anything outside the US period. (as usual there is one exception that has no implication here-if you permanently live in the US closer to a hospital that is located in Mexico or Canada that is covered) Some supplemental policies do. So if Medicare is their primary, the cruise coverage will be prime although they might want a rejection anyway....

Theres so many gaps in this story.. I hope the parents are safe and sound.. but did NCL fly them out.. Did they call for a rescue boat to meet them 1/2 way? Or was the parents in port when the father became ill and never made it back to the ship? I dont wanna call this a fake post but Im sure NCL has policys once they evac someone off the boat they have to notify Corporate who would inturn notify the son and file the insurace.. Never heard of cruise line just dumping a sick person off and saying good day.. Maybe if it was a younger guy and he was kicked off the boat for (drugs) they may say f off but not for a sick older man

Another follow-up:

I just received a call from Tom Mulligan at the consulate in Colombia who advised that he had spoken with the clinic and my Dad. The clinic tells him that Dad will be released tomorrow and that arrangements have been made for regular transportation by air. There are not enough thanks for everything he has done through the day to bring this to a conclusion. With God’s help they should be home by late tomorrow evening. I can only advise if you ever find yourself stranded in Colombia, know that name.

As far as the missing details, what I have learned today is he became ill after Costa Rica and spent some time with severe vomiting and diarrhea in his cabin. At some point was taken by wheelchair to the infirmary where he continued to experience severe vomiting and diarrhea and became dehydrated and did not respond to treatment. Upon reaching Cartagena he was removed by NCL crew who also assisted in packing their belongings and was taken by ambulance to a nearby clinic. I have not been able to confirm an exact diagnosis but am told the doctor is saying some sort of virus. That’s all I know right now and have no issues to that point in the story. People get sick. But, regardless of any other facts or perceived facts, my issues with their handling of the situation are this:

1) They didn’t notify the emergency contact so U.S. based assistance could be provided.

2) They did not contact or assist in contacting the trip insurance carrier or its local agent which would have provided them the emergency transport to which they were entitled by virtue of paying the premium. A premium that NCL was all too happy to collect however so is obviously in their records. Given the ages of the cruisers some assistance would seem appropriate. The insurance company today confirmed that they would have received this service had they have been notified. But for purposes of clarity they do say that prepayment and reimbursement is how it works.

3) Due to 1 and 2 above this left them to feel they were abandoned and alone in a country where they don’t speak the language. Yeah boo-hoo. Say that if it were your nearly 80 year old parents experiencing that.

4) Until they were notified by the State Department representative I contacted, NCL was unable to even confirm they were not on the ship due to a claimed inability to make contact with the ship other than by email. Mind you, this is 3 ½ days after they have been disembarked.

5) And thus, because they claimed to have no information, they were unable to provide me any information whatsoever that would have been oh so helpful in providing assistance to my parents.

And this I feel shows a lack of humanity. For those that expressed their kind thoughts, I thank you and hope your cruises are happy and that you don’t experience anything like this yourselves. For the rest only Karma.

I have to agree with rvsullivan that more info is needed but I find it very strange that 2 people in this post have "found" CC today only to post complaints.....

I agree that the poster who is on the Sun and had his liquor confiscated is clueless/false but I believe that NCL12345 is truthful with everything he is sharing.

1.) He has given us a name of a US Consulate employee (Tom Mulligan) and a person from Berkley Care as well. Someone can easily check these names out if they really doubt this story.

2.) NCL12345 has come back several times to update the information and what is taking place. He has answered most people's questions that have been asked on this thread.

Do I believe NCL is capable of this act.... you bet I do, especially after the last post by the OP. His father is suffering from some sort of "virus." If word of that gets out, then the ship has to go through certain procedures and probably a ton of reports. (could even delay the next cruise while the ship is cleaned.) If other cruisers suffer similar symptoms, they could come back on NCL for refunds or credits. Just an expensive mess for NCL.

So, put the guy off in Colombia with as little fanfare as possible. Help them pack and get them off the ship as quitely as possible before word of a "virus" spreads around the ship. I am not sure why NCL didn't help the couple by at least notifying Berkely Care as that is quite wrong by NCL not to do. (the passport is another question that looms large.) The other question for NCL is why were they not able to contact one of their ships for at least a day or more? That is ridiculous and probably a lie by the Customer Service rep. If it is true that NCL cannot communicate with their ships while at sea in this era, then I have serious reservations about sailing on their fleet!

I hope things turn out well for the elderly couple and I can imagine what the OP is going through. My parents are also in their 80's and when they travel alone, it makes me extremely nervous.

I hope that NCL makes amends to this couple about this situation. People on here know me as someone who doesn't like it when people whine that NCL owes them something for something that wasn't right... but in this case, I stand with the OP....NCL owes an apology, an explanation and a refund/credit of some kind. I think NCL also needs to launch an investigation into what happened here and take possible disciplinary action against those who dropped the ball in this case.

But I have two really serious questions that need Answered by NCL

1.) Is it true that NCL cannot communicate with their ships for a day or more???

2.) Was there some sort of virus on the Star Panama Canal crossing and shouldn't the ship have to be inspected and possibly cleaned once she reaches Tampa?

Sounds like he was not whisked away under cover to prevent word from getting out. He was transferred to an ambulance for proper medical care. Pretty hard to cover that up. He was assisted by the ships crew.

He appears to be well enough that he is coming home by regular air, not medical transport, not too contagious. I don't think there is a huge conspiracy here.

Is there a communication breakdown, maybe. Getting and receiving information from the ship, may be a bit cloudy. After they offloaded, they have no further info. It appears that dad is doing well. They can now straighten out any communication issues that occurred.

With my insurance for my next two cruises, it is up to me to contact the insurance company not the cruise line. I'm not even sure the cruise line can initiate the contact even if they want to. I'm sure some would wish that NCL left a cruise member with the family, but thats not likely to happen. Mom probably should have called home and contacted the insurance company. And before you attack, I understand the reasons that she probably could not.

One of the downsides of elderly folks traveling alone. My mom was the same way, she thought she could do it all, even when she couldn't.

Another follow-up:As far as the missing details, what I have learned today is he became ill after Costa Rica and spent some time with severe vomiting and diarrhea in his cabin. At some point was taken by wheelchair to the infirmary where he continued to experience severe vomiting and diarrhea and became dehydrated and did not respond to treatment. Upon reaching Cartagena he was removed by NCL crew who also assisted in packing their belongings and was taken by ambulance to a nearby clinic. I have not been able to confirm an exact diagnosis but am told the doctor is saying some sort of virus.

Thank you for these further details. I have read elsewhere from people who are on this sailing that the ship has gone to Code Red from the "virus." It can be very troublesome for those who have other health issues. We had a similar but not as bad situation during a cruise last year when DH got sick.

I hope your father will have a complete recovery.

1) They didn’t notify the emergency contact so U.S. based assistance could be provided.

2) They did not contact or assist in contacting the trip insurance carrier or its local agent which would have provided them the emergency transport to which they were entitled by virtue of paying the premium. A premium that NCL was all too happy to collect however so is obviously in their records. Given the ages of the cruisers some assistance would seem appropriate. The insurance company today confirmed that they would have received this service had they have been notified. But for purposes of clarity they do say that prepayment and reimbursement is how it works.

3) Due to 1 and 2 above this left them to feel they were abandoned and alone in a country where they don’t speak the language. Yeah boo-hoo. Say that if it were your nearly 80 year old parents experiencing that.

4) Until they were notified by the State Department representative I contacted, NCL was unable to even confirm they were not on the ship due to a claimed inability to make contact with the ship other than by email. Mind you, this is 3 ½ days after they have been disembarked.

5) And thus, because they claimed to have no information, they were unable to provide me any information whatsoever that would have been oh so helpful in providing assistance to my parents.

Thanks for the clarification; this makes a lot more sense now, and it shows exactly where NCL blew it in terms of providing customer service.

As to #1, the emergency contact, check to make sure they didn't have each other as their first emergency contact. That's usually what couples do (my wife and I do, and everyone we know does, anyway). The second emergency contact is someone on shore, and you may be that second contact on your parent's info cards. If both were unable to contact you after being taken to the clinic, NCL may not have known about that, but could be expected to think the issue is resolved as his emergency contact was with him.

For #2, I don't buy trip insurance, or airfare, through the cruise line, as there is no special advantage to do so, and it usually costs more. I think people reasonably expect NCL to handle all the details. That's a reasonable expectation. But the reality is that NCL isn't obligated to do anything for you in obtaining help in insurance matters, or with the airlines if you buy airfare through NCL. They act as the brokers only.

On the policies I have bought, it is my responsibility to contact the carrier immediately when there is a problem, there is a toll free and collect number to use, etc. The policy paperwork has clear details on how to handle the call, etc. Check it out when your parents come home.

As to NCL not cooperating with you, I don't understand it, unless there's some kind of weird privacy policy interfering. If you mother was OK, and she was the responsible person for your father, they may not have wanted to release information regarding two of their passengers. I know that medical emergencies work that way stateside; you simply cannot give out medical information to anyone without a signed release. Still, you were not treated well, and they need to correct how this is handled in the future.

I'll have to re-read your post to find out why you were calling NCL in the first place. I assume your parents contacted you, so you knew they weren't on the ship. Maybe you thought NCL was responsible for the insurance matters (a thing I think is reasonable, but they should have just told you that up front).

The consulate or embassy is always the first place to check with, but most Americans don't realize this. They also don't realize that you can register your trip, and your port days, with the State Department, and in case of a natural disaster or insurrection, the State Department will forward the names of Americans in the area for relief efforts. And yes, they really do put out the list, and try to make sure all the Americans are taken care of.

Archived