Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Faroe Islands = Tours with 62N and Greengate.fo

Has anyone used either of these tour operators? What was your experience?

One is actually quoting me a much higher price than the other for essentially the same tour, trying to decide.....thanks for your help.

10/85 NCL Southward
10/86 NCL Norway
10/88 Carnival Holiday
10/94 Carnival Fantasy
10/97 Carnival Fantasy
12/99 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Voyageur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
11/02 Carnival Legend
10/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
11/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
06/04 Carnival Victory
11/04 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
05/05 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
09/05 RCCL Empress of the Seas
11/05 RCCL Jewel of the Seas
05/06 RCCL Radiance of the Seas Hawaii
11/06 RCCL Explorer of the Seas Repo to Miami
05/07 Celebrity Galaxy TA
12/07 RCCL Legend of the Seas 15 Day TA
04/08 RCCL Voyager of the Seas 13 Day TA
10/08 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 11 Day Repo
05/09 RCCL Serenade of the Seas 14 Day Alaska
10/09 RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5 Day Caribbean
11/09 RCCL Independence of the Seas 13 Day TA
04/10 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 11 Day Panama
08/10 RCCL Liberty of the Seas 7 Day Western Carib
10/10 RCCL Oasis of the Seas 7 Day Eastern
09/11 Carnival Freedom 6 Day Western
12/11 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 12 Day Carib
04/12 Celebrity Solstice Western 7 Day
08/12 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 16 Day TA
12/12 RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10 Day Caribbean
04/13 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 9 Day Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7 Day S. Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 5 Day Bahamas
03/14 RCCL Rhasody of the Seas 11 Day Queensland
04/14 Celebrity Solstice 18 Day Australia to Hawaii

Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have been in touch with both companies. 62N were very prompt to reply.

They offered a generic tour for 45 at DKK650pp (£75/$117pp); or a bus for 30 at DKK 800pp (£92/$144pp) or finally a private tour for 10 at DKK1200pp £138pp/$216pp).
I then also asked about hiring a car and they would not deliver a car from Torshavn to the dockside at Klaksvik, so I gave up.

Greengate have offered us a van with driver/guide for DKK8090 - the van will take up to 19 pax (£935/$1458)

I think the country is new to cruising therefore there is not a lot of competition so I personally find the prices too high. So I am still researching what to do.

RCI x 15.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
Nord Deutsche Lloyd Hessenstein x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Last edited by little britain; December 3rd, 2011 at 07:12 AM.

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have you found a solution on what to do in the Faroe Islands?
I will be there Sept. 6th on Jewel of Seas and understand your pain.

Ken

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by little britain View Post
I have been in touch with both companies. 62N were very prompt to reply.

They offered a generic tour for 45 at DKK650pp (£75/$117pp); or a bus for 30 at DKK 800pp (£92/$144pp) or finally a private tour for 10 at DKK1200pp £138pp/$216pp).
I then also asked about hiring a car and they would not deliver a car from Torshavn to the dockside at Klaksvik, so I gave up.

Greengate have offered us a van with driver/guide for DKK8090 - the van will take up to 19 pax (£935/$1458)

I think the country is new to cruising therefore there is not a lot of competition so I personally find the prices too high. So I am still researching what to do.
Little Britain, we are also on the Eclipse, which tour have you decided on? I was looking at 62N, don't know if we can round up enough people for the Greengate tour you talk about. I know that many from our roll call are taking the local bus into Torshavn.

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

We will be there in Sept also. I also think that the tours are expensive. Still looking into what to do.
Constellation, 2005
Connie on 1/07
Century, Nov 07
Azamara, Mar 08
Majesty of the Seas, Nov 08
Century Dec 2008
MSC Poesia Nov 09
Equinox Jan 2011
Oasis May 2011
Jewel of the Seas July 2011 - Baltic
Liberty of the Seas Oct 2011 - TA
Millenium Apr. 2012
Jewel of the Seas- TA 2012
Reflection Dec 2012
Eclipse Feb 2013
Infinity repo March 2014
Jewel to Bermuda, June 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjj111 View Post
We will be there in Sept also. I also think that the tours are expensive. Still looking into what to do.
Yes the tours are expensive but we've booked the full day tour with 62N, would like to see as much of the place as possible since we'll most certainly never go there again.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Klaksvik

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has been on a tour with either of these companies?

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old May 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi MMDownunder, we did the full day tour with 62N and loved it, thought it was well worth the cost. There's a thread about it from sometime last month I think, you can go back and check it out. I'd told that poster too to go ahead with this tour. I know quite a few from our cruise took the bus into Torshavn, but we felt this longer tour gave us more time on the islands, places we'd most certainly never go back to again. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Old May 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prish View Post
Hi MMDownunder, we did the full day tour with 62N and loved it, thought it was well worth the cost. There's a thread about it from sometime last month I think, you can go back and check it out. I'd told that poster too to go ahead with this tour. I know quite a few from our cruise took the bus into Torshavn, but we felt this longer tour gave us more time on the islands, places we'd most certainly never go back to again. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!
Thank you so much for your response.

Did you go on a small bus or a large one?

When I enquired with 62N they advised they use a large bus (I usually avoid).

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDown Under View Post
I would appreciate comments from anyone who has been on a tour with either of these companies?

We went for the full day tour with 62n in Sept. 2012. It was really worth the cost, as we did a complete tour of a place we probably will not get back to. A gentleman on our cruise organized this, so I am not privy to the ease of making the arrangements or why he picked this company. Going on the 'big' bus was not a problem. By the way, the people who just went into town were quite disappointed with this port, as there was really not much to see or do.

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by williegirlcat View Post
We went for the full day tour with 62n in Sept. 2012. It was really worth the cost, as we did a complete tour of a place we probably will not get back to. A gentleman on our cruise organized this, so I am not privy to the ease of making the arrangements or why he picked this company. Going on the 'big' bus was not a problem. By the way, the people who just went into town were quite disappointed with this port, as there was really not much to see or do.

I was aware that there is little on offer in this port, except getting a bus across the island to the more interesting small Capital.

Why did you think travelling on a big bus wasn't a problem? Was it the style of the bus trip, eg not rushed or something? We've always avoided big bus trips in the past.

Old May 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I was aware that there is little on offer in this port, except getting a bus across the island to the more interesting small Capital.

Why did you think travelling on a big bus wasn't a problem? Was it the style of the bus trip, eg not rushed or something? We've always avoided big bus trips in the past.
Hi Marion,
1. I'm an easy traveler.
2. Didn't make the arrangements.
3. All participants were congenial and on-time.
4. And not much else to do that day.

Old May 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Marion,
1. I'm an easy traveler.
2. Didn't make the arrangements.
3. All participants were congenial and on-time.
4. And not much else to do that day.
Looks like the best way to go. Thanks.

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Marion,
See if you can find the thread for Aug. 30, 2012 Jewel of the Sea transatlantic - London to Boston. We did many of the same ports as you on Princess and tons of information would be on there about all the private tours we did. It would be in the Royal Caribbean roll calls.

Old May 29th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Did you go on a small bus or a large one?

When I enquired with 62N they advised they use a large bus (I usually avoid).
It was a big bus but we were just 18-20 of us, so that wasn't a problem. The guide was very good too, a high school teacher, who was so very proud of his small country and wanted to tell us all about the place and its history!

Old May 29th, 2013, 01:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Marion,
See if you can find the thread for Aug. 30, 2012 Jewel of the Sea transatlantic - London to Boston. We did many of the same ports as you on Princess and tons of information would be on there about all the private tours we did. It would be in the Royal Caribbean roll calls.
Thanks for that. I found the thread. Sounds like you had a very active roll call and a great CC group.

Old May 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prish View Post
It was a big bus but we were just 18-20 of us, so that wasn't a problem. The guide was very good too, a high school teacher, who was so very proud of his small country and wanted to tell us all about the place and its history!
Thank you for your response.

As we will be on a small ship, I thought we might be luckier enough to have a smaller group also.