Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Oceania Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Oceania Cruises
Go to the Oceania Roll Call Forums

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Evening Wear on Oceania?

Hi there,

DH and I leave for our cruise on Insignia in 2 weeks time and I am starting to organise our clothes. I believe the dresscode onboard is "Country Casual" - does DH need to wear a jacket a night or would an open necked long-sleeved shirt and "suit" trousers suffice? We are trying to avoid lugging a suit jacket if it is not really going to be worn.
Thanks so much all

Past Cruises (most recent listed first):
Azamara Quest(2);Cunard Queen Victoria(2);Celebrity Eclipse(2); Norwegian Jade;P & O Azura; Star Clipper;Uniworld SS Antoinette; Oceania Insignia;AMA MS La Marguerite(Mekong);MSC Magnifica;Queen Elizabeth;Celebrity Summit;Diamond Princess;Queen Mary 2;Oberoi Philae(Nile);
Royal Princess;Marco Polo; QE2; Canberra; Carnival Celebration; Disney.....
*Sailed on various "Bucket" ships out of South Africa and to Indian Ocean islands during the 1980's

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

No jacket will be needed.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

And thankfully no tie
Bill
Noordam Feb 1996
Westerdam Feb 1998
Ryndam Sep 2007
Regatta Mar 2010 (09-21)
Regatta Mar 2010 (21-Apr 04)
Regatta Jun 2011
Marina Nov. 2011
Riviera Nov. 2012
Marina Aug. 2013

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Country Club Casual" is a phrase that leads to some confusion - actually the "Dress Code" on Oceania really doesn't exist insofar as dictating what you MUST and MUST NOT wear. What everyone seems to prefer - and mostly all do - is to wear casual clothes that are in good taste and look good on you.

There are a few things, that you can read about elsewhere, that are clearly excluded - such as jeans with holes, thong-type footwear, and other such things as may cause eyebrows to go up!

Jackets are certainly "not required", but some do wear them at night, as that is their personal preference. Others do not - and everyone seems to do well at choosing their daytime and evening wear and keep everything in good taste.

Enjoy your cruise!

Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't lug the jacket. My DH always wears one. We lugged it our first cruise, he never wore it and on the follwing 4 cruises it did not come with us and was not missed. A nice collared shirt and perhaps a pair of Dockers will suffice. It is your choice!

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi All,

Thanks so much to you all for the prompt replies - the jacket will stay!!
That certainly saves a trip to the dry cleaners!!
Happy Cruising All

Past Cruises (most recent listed first):
Azamara Quest(2);Cunard Queen Victoria(2);Celebrity Eclipse(2); Norwegian Jade;P & O Azura; Star Clipper;Uniworld SS Antoinette; Oceania Insignia;AMA MS La Marguerite(Mekong);MSC Magnifica;Queen Elizabeth;Celebrity Summit;Diamond Princess;Queen Mary 2;Oberoi Philae(Nile);
Royal Princess;Marco Polo; QE2; Canberra; Carnival Celebration; Disney.....
*Sailed on various "Bucket" ships out of South Africa and to Indian Ocean islands during the 1980's

Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Leaving the jacket at home also leaves space in the suitcase. We packed a jacket for the first cruise, no way are we packing it for the upcoming cruise.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
10,000+ Club

This is one of Oceania's great appeals.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like to travel in a RL sport jacket.I feel when I check into a hotel before our cruise it looks better, and inturn i feel better. And I like to wear it when we go to the speacialty restaurants makes for a more elegent dinning out. NO TIE.The other times I wear abutton down shirt and slacks for dinner.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We live in rural Okeechobee, Florida and tend to eat out at Golden Corral and Cowboy's BBQ. So, when we get aboard ship, I like to dress up just a little. I strongly dislike wearing a tie, so formal nights have no appeal. I love the fact that Oceania treats me like an adult and does not tell me what to wear on any specific evening. That said, I like to wear a jacket -- it makes me feel good. Betsy says I wear one to try to hide my pot belly -- I won't comment .

When traveling to Europe, I usually wear one on the plane, and that's it. When I'm cruising out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, where we drive to the port, I may bring 3 or 4 for a longer cruise.

But, that's purely my personal choice. There is no rule, official or unwritten, that says I should under any circumstances.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Sometimes in Melbourne, Australia. Sometimes in Penang, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
This is one of Oceania's great appeals.
Oh isn't it. I just love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digby View Post
No jacket will be needed.
Hi Digby, how are you guys and the puppies....long time. We are off on the HK to Europe next year on Nautica again. Hope that you are both well and happy.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

"I like to travel in a RL sport jacket.I feel when I check into a hotel before our cruise it looks better, and inturn i feel better. And I like to wear it when we go to the speacialty restaurants makes for a more elegent dinning out. NO TIE.The other times I wear abutton down shirt and slacks for dinner".

Acrusa...you and I dress alike with the same reasoning. In my 5 Oceania trips I must say I have not seen anyone dress in a fashion unbecoming to what I believe is the Oceania's "Country Club Casual" intent.....smart and relaxed.

Last edited by globevest; October 23rd, 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

.....smart and relaxed.

We should all be so lucky!!

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

The title of this thread is an oxymoron!
Dolphin SeaBreeze 1993
Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 07/10/05
Oceania Regatta 1/28/07 LA > Miami
Celebrity Century 4/26/07 Miami>Amsterdam
HAL Volendam 9/01/07 Alaska Cruise Tour
HAL Zaandam 03/04/08 Circle Hawaii
Oceania Regatta 11/25/08 Amazon Adventure
Norwegian Sun 10/04/2010 London (Dover) > Port Canaveral b2b Western Caribbean

Next up:
Oceania Marina 12/10-22/2011 Sapphire Seas

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Casual is wonderful

I love casual. Women usually wear pants and nice tops. I bring 2 pairs of dark pants( sometimes a skirt) and 3-4 nice tops. I also bring a scarf and sweater for the cooler nights. My spouse wears dark pants and colored shirts. He loves not wearing ties. I have seen some guys in ties and sports jackets....not many. When I first tried this type of cruise, I was also confused as to what to bring. The best response I got was...."think Chicos" It was right. I love Chicos traveler clothes...never wrinkle and expand if you do gain a pound or two.

Old October 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm one of those that personally wishes that O would have one formal night per cruise. I like to dress up every once in a while. We're about to do our first O cruise, an 18 day TA. I'm going to bring a sports jacket for occasional use--haven't decided yet if I'll also bring a tie or not.

Wish I knew what Chicos was!

cjdotur (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblue View Post
I'm one of those that personally wishes that O would have one formal night per cruise. I like to dress up every once in a while. We're about to do our first O cruise, an 18 day TA. I'm going to bring a sports jacket for occasional use--haven't decided yet if I'll also bring a tie or not.

Wish I knew what Chicos was!
Chico' s is a fairly low priced woman's wear catalog and store chain.
Bring your tux and I'm sure they will find som work for you on O.

Old October 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblue View Post
You can dress formally if you choose
I have seen some people on our cruises with jacket & TIE, suits, formal gowns etc
Just not many of them

Your choice

Lyn

http://www.chicos.com/store/home.jsp
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Last edited by LHT28; October 25th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Old October 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Evening Wear

I almost always bring a sport coat and wear it occasionally to the specialty dining venues as well as the MDR, but, one of the reasons many people choose Oceania is because of the "business casual" dress code and no formal nights. I know that is one of the things that was a major factor in drawing me to try my first Oceanis cruise (with more already scheduled that will bring us to a total of 13 on Oceania).

Wiks

Old October 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Digby, how are you guys and the puppies....long time. We are off on the HK to Europe next year on Nautica again. Hope that you are both well and happy.[/quote]

We're fine, but only Max is still with us and he has lost the use of his back legs. We are running a geriatric doggie hospital and have been for a long time.