Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

View Poll Results: Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?
Yes they deserve it and they should get 541 80.87%
Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy 83 12.41%
No 35 5.23%
No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters. 10 1.49%
Voters: 669. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.
I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.
If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.
If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Carnival had one of the lowest tip rates. All the other lines raised their's years ago.

Fantasy 04/1999
Fantasy 04/2000
Disney Wonder 03/2002
Star Princess 10/2004
Carnival Glory 11/2005
Carnival Miracle 03/2007
Celebration 08/2007
Carnival Glory 03/2008
Carnival Sensation 08/2008
Carnival Legend 04/2009
NCLA Pride of America 04/2010
Monarch of the Seas 07/2010
Carnival Legend 01/2011
Golden Princess 09/2011
Carnival Paradise 01/2012 - Platium, AT LAST!
Disney Dream 12/2012
NCL Dawn 03/2013

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecruisecruise2011 View Post
I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.
If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.
If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.
Not trying to skew the possible results of the poll are you?

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Yes, they deserve every penny....
Carnival Triumph 07/00 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Pride (3) 07/01 (Western Carib.) 07/05 (Mex. Riviera) 04/12 (Eastern Carib.)
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 04/02 (Bahamas)
Carnival Spirit (2) 07/04 (Alaska) 07/08 (Alaska)
Carnival Valor 08/05 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Ecstasy 04/06 (Cozumel, Progresso) Platinum Cruise
Carnival Liberty (4) 07/06 (Med cruise) 02/07 (Panama Canal) 07/08 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Liberty 02/07 (Panama Canal) 02/11 (Exotic Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Inspiration 8/07 (Western Carib.)
MSC Orchestra 2/09 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Splendor 08/09 (Mexican Riviera)
Carnival Dream 8/10 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Magic 02/12 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Victory 08/12 (Southern Carib.)
Carnival Legend 02/13 (Western Carib.)
Carnival Breeze 04/13 (Eastern Carib.)
Carnival Splendor 08/13 (Eastern out of NYC) Milestone Cruise
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 03/14 (Western Carib.)

Upcoming Cruises:
Carnival Splendor 08/14 (Eastern out of NYC)
Carnival Breeze 12/14 (6 day Western - after Christmas)
Carnival Breeze 04/15 (6 day Western Carib. )

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.

Comin' up

Past Cruises

Norwegian Epic - November 16-23, 2013 (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau) **Review**
Carnival Liberty - December 15-22, 2012 (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman) **Second family cruise**
Carnival Liberty - March 3-10, 2012 (Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) *First family cruise*
Carnival Liberty - November 6-13, 2010 (Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
Carnival Valor - November 2-9, 2008 (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccersharon View Post
I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.

Ditto on your post.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

The room steward makes 20 cents more pp now, far from 15% (it seems most of the raise is going to the miscellaneous staff, i.e. the buffet workers and I doubt when it's all divided out that it equals 15%, either).

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Email sparks1093

Roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1798583

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

If the average cruise price is $100 per day, $11.50 for tips is only 11.5%. We tip around 20% in a restaurant or for our hairdresser, so I don't see how anyone can complain about tipping 11.5%.
Emerald Seas 1982 ~ Emerald Seas 1992 ~ Majesty of the Seas 1993 ~ Big Red Boat 1996 ~ Carnival Fascination 2006 ~ Carnival Inspiration 2006 ~ Carnival Valor 2008 ~ Disney Wonder 2009 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Freedom 2010 ~ Carnival Imagination 2011 ~ Carnival Sensation 2011 ~ Carnival Imagination 2012 ~ Carnival Paradise 2012 ~ Carnival Victory 2013 ~ Carnival Breeze 2014

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

IMHO all of our teachers, policemen, firefighters and municipal employees have been way overpaid for decades. Of course, my municipality may be very different from yours.

I don't believe that an increase in the suggested tip constitutes a raise. Your poll doesn't have any option for me.

Keith

Coming up - Carnival Conquest 2/14

Carnival Glory 2/12

Carnival Dream 1/11

Carnival Triumph 11/06

Carnival Triumph 2/05

Bermuda Star Lines - S.S. Veracruz 4/89

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm happy to pay the extra $1.50 per day ($10.50 for a 7-day cruise). As others have said, the workers put in long hours and do their best to serve us well. I nearly always give extra $$$ at the end of a cruise anyway. I just wish Carnival had been more open about it rather than just sneaking it in like this. Nancy

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccersharon View Post
My first cruise was in 1995. I'm quite confident it was $10 per person per day then.

Previous Cruises
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 4/6/13
Celebrity Summit - 7 Day Southern Caribbean 12/1/12
Carnival Liberty - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 5/12/12
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 12/31/11
Carnival Legend - 7 Day Western Caribbean 9/4/11
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 4/9/11
Carnival Glory - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 5/9/10
Mariner of the Seas - 7 Day Mexican Riviera 11/1/09
Carnival Freedom - 6 Day Western Caribbean 4/19/09 - Platinum!
Carnival Inspiration - 5 Day Western Caribbean 11/3/08
Carnival Inspiration - 4 Day Western Caribbean 10/30/08
Carnival Valor - 7 Day Western Caribbean 4/13/08
Carnival Valor - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 10/21/07
Carnival Imagination - 4 Day Western Caribbean 5/3/07
Carnival Miracle - 7 Day Western Caribbean 12/3/06
Carnival Fantasy - 4 Day Bahamas 9/22/02
Celebration - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 3/9/96
Carnival Imagination - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 7/1/95

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikkek View Post
IMHO all of our teachers, policemen, firefighters and municipal employees have been way overpaid for decades. Of course, my municipality may be very different from yours.

Keith
Are you serious? I am guessing when they are stopping someone from robbing your home or putting out a fire that is burning your home to the ground, you may think differently.
And as far as the teachers(and no, I am not a teacher), how do you put a price on those that educate the young when the administrators(who last I checked aren't teaching anyone) are raking in the money.
RCCL Adventurer of the Seas-2004
Carnival Imagination-2002
Carnival Imagination-2000
RCCL Majesty of the Seas-1999
Carnival Ecstasy-1994

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I don't understand how is it difficult to adjust the tips? If you truly feel that it is something the staff does not deserve, is it that difficult to go to Guest Services to have the tip amount adjusted? Or is it just embarrassing?

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Am I missing something. You are asking us if the crew deserved a raise, but then asking for us to vote as it relates to our town workers?

Big Red Boat 1999 (Jon) - Nassau
Carnival Triumph March 2002 - San Juan, St. Thomas, St Croix
Carnival Triumph Jan 2005 - San Juan, St Thomas, St Marteen
RCCL Navigator of the Seas Jan 2006 - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Elation Feb 2007 - Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Nov 2007 - Nassau, CocoCay
Carnival Valor Sept 2008 - St Thomas, St Marteen (missed Nassau due to Hurricane Ike)
Carnival Destiny B2B Feb 2009 - Key West, Cozumel/Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
Carnival Liberty Oct 2009 - San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay
Carnival Destiny B2B2B Sept/Oct 2010 (Platinum) - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman/Key West, Cozumel/Grand Turk, Nassau (missed Half Moon Cay due to TS Otto)
Carnival Dream - 8/27/11 Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin
Carnival Pride - 4/29/12 Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Freeport
RCCL Oasis of the Seas - 10/20/12 Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin (Bouncing with Sandy)
Carnival Pride - 5/5/12 - Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Freeport
RCCL Oasis of the Seas - 9/21/13 Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

yes! they do deserve a raise. i have never even been on a cruise, but before i had the 'job' i have now, i waited tables, ect... its hard to humble yourself to serve others. its not as easy as people make it look. some people have no choice but to work these types of jobs, and they deserve respect, and enough money to live on.

now... another opinion... why dont carnival just increase the fare rate and pay them out of that? that way its no ones business what they make and they wont have to depend on selfish people who may retract the tips? yes, it may look cheaper by doing it the way they do it, but in reality its not any cheaper, and i think people would rather just know what they are paying up front. And should tip also because its just the right thing to do.
i would never go have a meal and not tip, so why in the world would you not tip on a cruise. never have cruised, but i just dont get why people are sooo upset. if you cant afford to tip, you really shouldnt go-in my opinion.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

They absolutely deserve this measly increase IMO; I think it's long overdue. They haven't increased the (suggested) gratuities in years. I don't even know the last time they did, actually.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafam4 View Post
I don't understand how is it difficult to adjust the tips? If you truly feel that it is something the staff does not deserve, is it that difficult to go to Guest Services to have the tip amount adjusted? Or is it just embarrassing?
Neither. I remove them and tip in cash always. But the question of "Why" should not be asked.
When you eat out and leave a 15% tip,you do not have to explain why,so why when boarding,before noon on the first day,do they even have to ask why? You have not even eaten,or have been to your cabin yet so there is no reason to ask why.
Why before noon or as soon as boarding? Because they can't question anyone because you have not interacted with no one.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

In my opinion, you're confusing 2 unrelated issues. Comparing their rates of pay to teachers, police officers, etc in our "home town"? Way too many variables for that comparison. Not sure which argument you want fought here because that's what it seems your post is prompting.

Since this is a website pertaining to cruising, I'll stick to the question about that and not get heated about rates of pay for other hard working folks. I think Carnival crew deserve every single nickel (or is it penny?!) and then some, that they earn. They are hardworking under difficult conditions -- can't imagine having to live that way to support my family. 9 times out of 10 I end up wishing I could tip them even more than we already do.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Neither. I remove them and tip in cash always. But the question of "Why" should not be asked.
When you eat out and leave a 15% tip,you do not have to explain why,so why when boarding,before noon on the first day,do they even have to ask why? You have not even eaten,or have been to your cabin yet so there is no reason to ask why.
Why before noon or as soon as boarding? Because they can't question anyone because you have not interacted with no one.
You stated in your original post that it is difficult for the "average" person to have them removed. Its not difficult at all. Just go to Guest Services. However, does Guest Services ask you "why" when you request to have them adjusted or removed? If so, you are correct, they shouldn't ask you to defend that choice.

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestapels View Post
Am I missing something. You are asking us if the crew deserved a raise, but then asking for us to vote as it relates to our town workers?
Do your teachers,police and firefighters deserve a raise?

Everyone gets upset at tax increases,overides get shot down real bad to the tune of 90+% agaist a tax increase (locally), yet CCL takes it upon themselves to raise the tax,I mean tips. Yet here on this BB its the other way around.90+% are in favor of the tax,I mean tips being raised.
Whats wrong with that? As long as its for vacation, who cares if our teachers are underpaid and our classrooms are overcrowded right?