Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default soft side rolling cooler

Will they allow us to bring soft drinks in a 12X12X27 inch soft sided rolling bag that has fabric on the outside and looks like a regular carryon but has the silver insulated liner on the inside? If not, will they allow us to use it as a carryon with our towels and bathing suits and just hand carry on the soft drinks? Our family of 23 has several children and 2 seniors so we want to make embarking as easy as possible. Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter06 View Post
Will they allow us to bring soft drinks in a 12X12X27 inch soft sided rolling bag that has fabric on the outside and looks like a regular carryon but has the silver insulated liner on the inside? If not, will they allow us to use it as a carryon with our towels and bathing suits and just hand carry on the soft drinks? Our family of 23 has several children and 2 seniors so we want to make embarking as easy as possible. Thanks!

Nope... sorry, they won't. They're quite strict about the 12X12X12 rule. In fact, just recently, we had a report that a bag, that the poster said was not a cooler but had a plastic liner, was confiscated as it was larger than the permitted size cooler.

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

I read in a post a couple of weeks ago that it was not allowed, even as a carry on. The silver lining in the bag technically makes it a cooler. Since the size was too large Carnival made the passenger throw it away. Another poster said they ripped out the lining in order to take it on as a carry on.

Do a search and you might find the thread.

Fantasy 04/1999
Fantasy 04/2000
Disney Wonder 03/2002
Star Princess 10/2004
Carnival Glory 11/2005
Carnival Miracle 03/2007
Celebration 08/2007
Carnival Glory 03/2008
Carnival Sensation 08/2008
Carnival Legend 04/2009
NCLA Pride of America 04/2010
Monarch of the Seas 07/2010
Carnival Legend 01/2011
Golden Princess 09/2011
Carnival Paradise 01/2012 - Platium, AT LAST!
Disney Dream 12/2012
NCL Dawn 03/2013

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
What Mach says. Plus, if your group is that large, you can bring several smaller 12x12x12 coolers. For larger coolers, I suggest you look at collaspible coolers that can be packed flat in your checked luggage. Then use a rollerbag or luggage cart/dolly to carry on the sodas and waters.
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012

Last edited by crewsweeper; November 10th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Good suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsweeper View Post
What Mach says. Plus, if your group is that large, you can bring several smaller 12x12x12 coolers. For larger coolers, I suggest you look at collaspible coolers that can be packed flat in your checked luggage. Then use a rollerbag or luggage cart/dolly to carry on the sodas and waters.
If we pack the rolling bag in check on luggage could we use it as we exit and enter the ship on shore excursion days for towels, etc.?

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM
5,000+ Club

You can sneak in the larger cooler if you fold it up and sneeze it inside your luggage or another carryon bag..Then all you gotta do is just carry the drinks passed security. After security, take out your larger cooler

Norwegian Breakaway - 2014; Carnival Splendor - 2014;Carnival Splendor - 2013; Norwegian Gem - 2012; Carnival Glory - 2010; Carnival Miracle - 2009

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
If we pack the rolling bag in check on luggage could we use it as we exit and enter the ship on shore excursion days for towels, etc.?
Yes as long as it fits through the scanner getting back on board the ship.

Since before exiting the ship going into the ports you pass the scanners you could simply ask the security folks if it will fit through there.
They will advise you yes or no.

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I would not suggest it...

We have a rolling cooler that looks like carry on luggage that we have packed with towels and shoes every cruise and checked it with our other luggage, with absolutely no problems.

Our last cruise we had a private tour in Roatan for the day.
It was a group of four and hot as heck that day, so I did not even think about the cooler full of waters.

When we arrived back at the pier, I dumped out the remaining ice and again, thought nothing about reboarding.

When we were going through security, I just threw the now empty cooler on the conveyor.
But even though I had dumped the ice, there was still some moisture and it left a bit of water on the conveyor.
The security guys gave me a cockeyed look and started to say something, when the lady behind us in line spilled the contents of her huge purse all into the x-ray machine.
In the confusion, I grabbed the cooler and headed to the elevator.

So I would say, pack your cooler and check it with the rest of your luggage, but do not try to bring it off the ship in ports, unless you are willing to possibly lose it.

Bill

Carnival Dream - Dec. 15, 2012 - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin

Carnival Paradise - Sept. 8, 2012 - Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Carnival Legend - Sept. 18, 2011 - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

Carnival Fascination - Nov. 13, 2010-Half Moon Cay, Nassau

Carnival Fascination - Sept. 18, 2010 -Half Moon Cay, Nassau

Carnival Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Carnival Fascination - Sept. 19, 2009 -Half Moon Cay, Nassau

Carnival Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica

Carnival Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau

Carnival Sensation - Jan. 28th, 2007 - Freeport, Nassau

Carnival Sensation - Sept. 10th, 2006 - Freeport, Nassau