Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old November 14th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How do you know if you'll become sea sick?

DH and I will be taking our first cruise in April. How do you know if you'll get sick at sea?

Old November 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Its not that bad. I have never gotten sea sick. Nor has anyone I have ever cruised with. Bring some patches just in case.

Previous Cruises
Grand Princess 2002
Carnival Inspiration 9/12-9/19/04
Carnival Valor 6/5-6/12/05
Caribbean Princess 2006
Carnival Legend 9/20-9/27/09
Emerald Princess 8/29-9/5/10
Carnival Dream 5/5-5/12/2012

Old November 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Where can we get these patches?

Old November 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

In the states you can get them from Walmart or anywhere like that. They aren't hard to get. Cheaper then buying them on the ship.

Previous Cruises
Grand Princess 2002
Carnival Inspiration 9/12-9/19/04
Carnival Valor 6/5-6/12/05
Caribbean Princess 2006
Carnival Legend 9/20-9/27/09
Emerald Princess 8/29-9/5/10
Carnival Dream 5/5-5/12/2012

Old November 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have experienced no problems thus far with ship sway. I actually think it's kind of fun. My theory is if you get car sick, you certainly should expect sea sick.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrg11 View Post
DH and I will be taking our first cruise in April. How do you know if you'll get sick at sea?
If you get car sick or feel nauseous on a small boat or an amusement ride, you MIGHT get sea sick. The ship is pretty stable and you'll be busy with lots of distractions. The vast majority of passengers don't have any problems. A lot also depends on your cabin location; if you're not sure, book a cabin on the lowest deck mid-ship that you can and stay away from cabins on upper decks and any towards the front of the ship. Do not book a GTY because you could wind up anywhere on the ship.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sea Sick

You can also eat ginger pills, green apples, wrist/pulse bands prevent sea sickness as well as bonine or dramamine.

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrg11 View Post

You usually throw up?

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhitson88 View Post
In the states you can get them from Walmart or anywhere like that. They aren't hard to get. Cheaper then buying them on the ship.

If you are referring to the Scopalmine patch(the only drug I know of that comes in patch form)..it is by prescription only in the US...tho prices may vary..you will need a script..

Personally I think they can cause weird symptoms..

I prefer OTC things like Meclizine or Dramamine which now comes in a non drowsy formulation...tho if I am seasick sleep is a better option..

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
5,000+ Club

If you can read a book in the back seat of a car, you won't get seasick (unless there are some really high seas... then maybe ).

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
If you get car sick or feel nauseous on a small boat or an amusement ride, you MIGHT get sea sick. The ship is pretty stable and you'll be busy with lots of distractions. The vast majority of passengers don't have any problems. A lot also depends on your cabin location; if you're not sure, book a cabin on the lowest deck mid-ship that you can and stay away from cabins on upper decks and any towards the front of the ship. Do not book a GTY because you could wind up anywhere on the ship.
You describe my wife & she has sailed dozens of times following such things

As 'nurserosie' said, the patches had more side affects than other medication & meclizine (generic for the much more expensive Bonine) works best for my wife.

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Flyer View Post
You describe my wife & she has sailed dozens of times following such things

As 'nurserosie' said, the patches had more side affects than other medication & meclizine (generic for the much more expensive Bonine) works best for my wife.
I always take my bonine with me. We were told sometimes the medical crew onboard prefer if you don't use the patch as in some people it can mimic symptoms of a stroke. As well as location of your cabin certain itineraries you may want to avoid until you know for sure. Caribbean seems to be the smoothest, and Pacific is generally a little choppier. Better to take something with you and not need it then be sick and not enjoy your trip.

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Its not that bad. I have never gotten sea sick. Nor has anyone I have ever cruised with. Bring some patches just in case.
A good indication for me was that I suffer from nausea/vomiting in the back seat of a car.
I was sick on my first cruise and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Take a preventative if you are worried. Holidays are too short to lose one being sick.
Good luck.

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

EMAIL

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheila View Post
I always take my bonine with me. We were told sometimes the medical crew onboard prefer if you don't use the patch as in some people it can mimic symptoms of a stroke. As well as location of your cabin certain itineraries you may want to avoid until you know for sure. Caribbean seems to be the smoothest, and Pacific is generally a little choppier. Better to take something with you and not need it then be sick and not enjoy your trip.
Symptoms of a stroke...that's not good!

The only symptoms she gets from meclizine is once in awhile slight sleepiness but not nearly as much as with Dramamine or the patch. Obviously any of these things may affect others differently & they need to ask their doctors if it's okay with medications they take regularly.

If you're comfortable with a generic, meclizine is much, much less expensive.

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I tend to get seasick so I take a Bonine (meclizine) every morning along with a natural ginger pill and then go on my way! I try to prevent it and have learned not to wait until I gets seasick. Most people do not get seasick. The patch gave me unwanted side effects although you will notice many patches behind cruisers ears! Oh - I always book a room on Emerald Deck mid ship!! I pass up the guarantees and book my room with a "do not upgrade". This way I am safe, although I am sure that I must have passed up opportunities for the upgrade fairy!

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm generally fine on the ship. I always pack meds, however, for the excursions that include some kind of small boat!

2001 Crown Princess (the old one!), Panama Canal, partial transit
2001 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2003 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Celebrity Century, Western Caribbean
2005 Sun Princess, Southern Caribbean
2006 Benin and Egypt, 3 weeks, land vacation
2008 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera
2010 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean
2011 Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean
2011 Italy, 2.5 weeks, land vacation
2012 Island Princess, Panama Canal, partial transit
2012 Viking Emerald, China Cultural Delights
2013 Crown Princess, Western Caribbean
2013 Viking Rurik, Waterways of the Czars, Russia
2014 Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph045 View Post
You can also eat ginger pills, green apples, wrist/pulse bands prevent sea sickness as well as bonine or dramamine.

I also suggest trying coffee enemas. Ask for them in the ships store. That works pretty good too.

Old November 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I tend to get sick easily on amusement park rides, but don't have any difficulty on cruises. Its a different type of motion.

I always carry Meclizine with me because of some of the small boat excursions that we enjoy such as some of the excursions on a catamaran. If it gets wavy on a small boat and we are not moving quickly I will take a meclizine pill to avoid motion sickness.

We traveled with friends last year. The lady was so fearful of getting motion sick that she fretted for quite a while before the cruise. She was pleasantly surprised at how little motion she felt. However as a precaution, for the first couple of days she took Meclizine since she felt it was easier to prevent feeling ill than deal with it later.

Anyway, bring some Meclizine with you. You can ask the pharmacist about it or buy it from Amazon.

Also, for the least amount of motion, its best to book a cabin on a lower deck and midship. If you are prone to motion sickness, avoid the cabins on the higher decks and cabins in the front.

Last edited by vmom; November 14th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

Old November 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I never got sick in cars or amusment parks or even boats on lakes but the first time we went fishing in Mexico I got sick. The smaller the boat the more likely i will get sick. I now always bring Meclizine but rarely need it on a big ship. It's those excursions that are problem.

Holland America, Noordam Collect0r Cruise, Caribbean
Grand Princess, Mexican West Coast, 9-17-13
Holland America, Veendam, Santiago to Buenos Aires, Antarctic, 1-10-13
Holland America, Ryndam, Barcelona, 10-4-12
Holland America, Westerdam, Alaska, 5-12-12
Island Princess, Panama Canal, 3-18-12
Ocean Princess, North Atlantic, 8-7-11 Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, 4-3-11 Star Flyer, Panama Canal 10-31-10
Holland America, Zaandam, Mexican Riviera 03-02-10 Crown Princess, Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, 10-23-09 Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean, 3-20-09 Holland America, Ryndam, Mexican Riviera 02/09 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean (supposed to be Eastern, thanks Ike) 09/08 Dawn Princess, Mexican West Coast, 03/08 Star Flyer, Mediterranean, 10/07 Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera, 01/07 Empress of Canada, St Lawrence Seaway, 09/06 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 12/05 Dawn Princess, Alaska 06/04 Cruise West, Spirit of '98, Columbia River, 10/03 Cruise West, Temptress Explorer, Panama Canal 12/01 Cruise West, Sea of Cortez 12/00 Glacier Bay, Wilderness Discoverer, Alaska 06/00

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

What patches can you get with out a prescription?

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]