Sleeping 5

We were on Allure this past spring and had five people in a non-suite. We had our 7 year old twins and 3 year old with us. We got a standard balcony with a pull-out sofa (that slept two of the three) and the room had a pullman bed that came down from the ceiling and was above the sofa. The other child slept in the pullman. It was definitely tight but we were hardly ever in the room since there is so much to do on the ship. It wasn't bad and we saved a lot of money versus getting two rooms or a suite (plus the suites were all booked up except for Crown Loft suites, which were crazy expensive).

If you are traveling with young children, this is not a bad option. If they are older or everyone is an adult, this wouldn't be too good.

Do any RCI rooms sleep 5, I have 2 very small children and didnt really want to get 2 rooms, since truly we wont use a second but, it seems none of the rooms sleep 5..... Any input?

What ship would you be sailing on or thinking about? That would help to give you some suggestions.

OP...Consider 2 connecting cabins. It will be more like one big cabin but you'll have 2 bathrooms and be much more comfortable. Connecting cabins have an inside door that can be opened by the cabin steward (permanently for your cruise) so you can go between the cabins without going into the hallway. Note that in your case at least one of the cabins has to sleep 3 -- and not all do. My wife's son has 3 daughters, and they love 2 inside connecting cabins with the upper pullman beds (instead of the sleeper sofa). With 2 small kids though you will probably want the sleeper sofa instead. OK, we have husband, wife, and 2 kids. I've got to know -- who's the 5th person?

I guess I am confused why you need a cabin for 5 if you have 2 children. Regarless...

"Family" cabins sleep up to 6. I know someone who was recently on the Allure in a Family Oceanview. She said the cabin was large and great for her 4 kids!!

They have them on Freedom Class ships as well. Not sure about Voyager Class.

We are a family of 5 and we always get two cabins (connecting if possible). I find it cheaper than getting a family suite plus you have the bonus of the extra bathroom.

YES YES YES!!

Cruising is the only time I regret having a family of five (that was a joke!!).

Unless you have to have a suite, two connecting rooms is definitely the way to go. Generally much cheaper, more room, two bathrooms, and of course two bathrooms. And also I think two bathrooms is a plus. :)

We actually are going on Oasis (12-17-11), have our oldest in a room with a friend, and our two youngest (8 and 5) in an adjoining room to us, where the door connecting the rooms will remain open all the time. It will be just like they are sleeping down the hall at home.

We'll be on the FoS and 5 of us are staying in the promenade family stateroom. If anyone has ever stayed in one of these I'd love to know what you thought of them.

We stayed in a Family Promenade stateroom on the Freedom of the Seas last year and loved it! It was great to watch the parades and parties without the crowds.

It was a very nice sized room (about 300 sq ft.) with a queen bed, double pullout couch and a small little room with bunk beds. It also had a walk-in closet, standard stateroom closet and a smaller closet in the room with the bunk beds.

The bathroom had a shower/tub combo which was great for our small kids. We had two windows to watch the promenade from (so of course two window seats).

It worked out to be cheaper than getting two rooms. Next year we'll be staying in a Family Oceanview on the Oasis.

We'll be on the FoS and 5 of us are staying in the promenade family stateroom. If anyone has ever stayed in one of these I'd love to know what you thought of them.

They are gorgeous. Search on webshots.com - there are some beautiful photos there.

• 3 months later...
Do any RCI rooms sleep 5, I have 2 very small children and didnt really want to get 2 rooms, since truly we wont use a second but, it seems none of the rooms sleep 5..... Any input?
You can't book a cabin for 5 online you have to call in order to do it. You can get an idea of pricing by looking for cabins for 4 which will give you close pricing to guest 1&2 then the addition of 3&4 which is cheaper, 5th would should be about the same as 3&4. Example were in the Royal Family Suite on the Monarch (not suggesting this ship, it's not really a kid friendly ship) Guest 1&2 is $859 with every additional passenger in the cabin $199 (base rate). That is a 3 day cruise so don't get that excited about pricing :D It's a way to get some idea of cost though. There are also some cabins you can not book online period because they have a minimum required amount of passengers like ours which is 5.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We stayed in one of these cabins on freedom of the sea. It has bathroom with a tub. Across from the bathroom you have a room with bunk beds and a little closet. you have a sofa bed nice size closet on size of the sofa bed, on the other side shelves and draws. across from the sofa bed you have the bed nice size walk in closet and safe. you have two nice windows both with nice size setting . The tv is between the windows. Also there is a curtain that you can pull between the bed and sofa..... Really a nice room and big enough for your family :) Oh across from the windows and tv your mirror etc.. Have no pictures.

we have a Family Promenade Stateroom booked for our December cruise on Independence of the Seas and it looks great..! We have 3 kids, and it should be ideal for us..2 connecting rooms priced us out for RCI

Just "suites" of various types! Considering the small size of RCI's standard cabins, it would be mighty tight to fit 5 in one room!

I think that's true on nearly all mainstream cruise lines. That's why it's so great the RCI has multiple family cabins, not just family suites. Depending on the ship (the larger and newer, the more "family cabin" options), there are Family Inside, Family Oceanview, Family Promenade, and Family Balcony cabins. Not suites, so no suite perks. No fully separate bedroom, but a kid's sleeping alcove/bunk "roomette" and a sleeping area for the adults. Only one bathroom, but still a much larger cabin than the standard inside/oceanview/promenade/balcony categories. And since they are not suites, they are generally extremely affordable. They are also prized and often book up well in advance.

beachchick

• 1 year later...

We've stayed in a family promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas and my three kids ask for it each time we cruise. Tons of space, storage and a much larger bathroom with a tub. Kids love the the bunk beds in their own room. They also have the best view( two window seats) to watch the parades and adults can enjoy if kids are in bed. I have priced connecting cabins and suite options for a family of 5 and cannot get a price better than the family promenade cabins. Book early and they are generally not discounted because they sell out quickly.

Archived