Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Willsot's Avatar
Willsot Willsot is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,168
Default HAL ending Bermuda Cruises after 2012

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...muda-/566821/1
__________________
Terry






Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
jtl513's Avatar
jtl513 jtl513 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Space Coast FL
Posts: 22,069
Default

Yeah - that's what most of the rumors have been saying. Guess it's now official.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
WNcruiser's Avatar
WNcruiser WNcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Las Vegas (Henderson)
Posts: 1,633
Default

Yes, this is old news. Was posted back in October:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=bermuda
__________________
Previous Cruises:
RCI - Song of America (X2), Empress of the seas, Viking Serenade, Sovereign (X2), Monarch (X2), Majesty, Rhapsody, Brilliance, Mariner (X2), Freedom, Allure
Celebrity - Horizon, Century, Millennium, Equinox, Eclipse
Carnival - Jubilee (X3), Celebration, Ecstasy, Sensation, Imagination, Elation (inaugural), Destiny (X2), Conquest, Dream.
Cunard QE2 08/2001 (EB T/A) QM2 11/2009 (WB T/A Hurricane Ida)
HAL- Oosterdam, Eurodam
Paul Gauguin - Tahiti, Oceania - Marina (Rome-Venice)
Crown Princess (Canada/New England), Admiral Cruises Stardancer, Sitmar Fairwind

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
HamOp's Avatar
HamOp HamOp is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,238
Default News to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNcruiser View Post
Yes, this is old news. Was posted back in October:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=bermuda
It's only old news if you were aware of it. Not everyone reads the boards every day.

Thanks for posting the link, Willsot.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
innlady1's Avatar
innlady1 innlady1 is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 15,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl513 View Post
Yeah - that's what most of the rumors have been saying. Guess it's now official.
Glad we have one booked for May....
__________________

Sheila
"innlady1"
innlady1@gmail.com

Upcoming Cruises:
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 06/15
MS Ryndam - Western Caribbean - 02/15
MS Ryndam - Southern Caribbean - 02/15
MS Noordam - Westbound TA - 10/14 - cancelled
Past Cruises:
MS Noordam - Southern Caribbean - 02/14
MS Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - 01/14
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Med/westbound TA B2B- 10/13
MS Ryndam - Southern & Western Caribbean B2B- 02/13
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/11
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/10
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/09
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/08
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 02/06
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Langoustine's Avatar
Langoustine Langoustine is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 640
Default

That's too bad. My wife and I loved being able to walk off the ship in downtown Hamilton. Went over to the RN Dockyard one day and thought it was a little out of the way for the things in Bermuda that interested us---your mileage may vary.
__________________
__________________________________________


Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami


Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale


New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
scamper's Avatar
scamper scamper is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 673
Default

This won't bother me at all. I think the Bermuda itineraries are overpriced for what you get. My opinion, of course.
__________________
Scamper
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
HamOp's Avatar
HamOp HamOp is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamper View Post
This won't bother me at all. I think the Bermuda itineraries are overpriced for what you get. My opinion, of course.
Have you checked the prices for a land vacation to Bermuda? Air, Hotel, meals? I found HAL to Bermuda to be a good deal on our trip this summer.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:03 PM
WNcruiser's Avatar
WNcruiser WNcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Las Vegas (Henderson)
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamOp View Post
It's only old news if you were aware of it. Not everyone reads the boards every day.

Thanks for posting the link, Willsot.
Sorry, my mistake. I thought that is why there was a search feature. No big deal...
__________________
Previous Cruises:
RCI - Song of America (X2), Empress of the seas, Viking Serenade, Sovereign (X2), Monarch (X2), Majesty, Rhapsody, Brilliance, Mariner (X2), Freedom, Allure
Celebrity - Horizon, Century, Millennium, Equinox, Eclipse
Carnival - Jubilee (X3), Celebration, Ecstasy, Sensation, Imagination, Elation (inaugural), Destiny (X2), Conquest, Dream.
Cunard QE2 08/2001 (EB T/A) QM2 11/2009 (WB T/A Hurricane Ida)
HAL- Oosterdam, Eurodam
Paul Gauguin - Tahiti, Oceania - Marina (Rome-Venice)
Crown Princess (Canada/New England), Admiral Cruises Stardancer, Sitmar Fairwind

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM
FIRELT5's Avatar
FIRELT5 FIRELT5 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Coastal Ocean County-Jersey Shore "Jersey Strong !!!"
Posts: 6,291
Default Another link

http://bernews.com/2011/11/no-veenda...isits-in-2013/
__________________
RCCL-Diamond Plus
X-Elite +
NCL-Platinum
Princess-Platinum
Carnival-Platinum
Cunard-Diamond
HAL-***













Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Willsot's Avatar
Willsot Willsot is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNcruiser View Post
Sorry, my mistake. I thought that is why there was a search feature. No big deal...
and I apologize. I did do a search but apparently not thorough enough. I was traveling the month of October.
__________________
Terry






Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsot View Post
and I apologize. I did do a search but apparently not thorough enough. I was traveling the month of October.

No reason to apologize IMO

Most of us do not do a thorough search before we begin a new thread. It was a reasonable thing to post and probably of interest to many.

Welcome Back. Hope your October travels were wonderful.
__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
gte937k gte937k is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamOp View Post
Have you checked the prices for a land vacation to Bermuda? Air, Hotel, meals? I found HAL to Bermuda to be a good deal on our trip this summer.
I agree. Veendam was a great deal, especially if you cruise in Sept when the rates hit rock bottom and the gangway is line with upgrades.
__________________



May 17, 2014 -- Alaska


December 16, 2012 -- Western Caribbean


November 27, 2011 -- Eastern Caribbean


September 11, 2011 -- Bermuda
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Rotterdam Rotterdam is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,019
Default Is there a line / ship to replace HAL / Veendam?????

After many many years of taking this cruises on Hoem Lines & HAL - it remains one of my all time favorites......

The last 2 years we have taken the Veendam & it certainly left a lot to be desired all around except for the ease of docking along Front Street for 4 days & the ease of boarding a ship 40 blocks nort of our home.

I long for home lines & wish a decent line took the spot of Veendam...
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:44 PM
bunnyman's Avatar
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 65
Default

It's a shame that the Island will lack a major line ship being able to dock in St. George or Hamilton. Many years ago my wife and I sat outside having lunch at the White Horse Tavern in St. George on a plane/hotel trip and watch various ships from NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity docked in St. George and said that would be the way to come to Bermuda next time. Fast forward a couple of years and we were there, this time with kids in tow, via the Celebrity Zenith. Once most of the lines pulled out the smaller ships we came back several years later on the RC Explorer of the Seas, which due to its size was restricted to the Dockyard. You really don’t get the same experience only stopping at the Dockyard, as being on Front Street in Hamilton or in St. George can’t be beat. We’ve had other family members travel on the Veendam the past two seasons, which both times skipped the anchorage at St. George and sailed directly to Hamilton. Bermuda is never going to foot the bill to widen the two passes needed to enter either Hamilton or St. George, so they’re forever be limited to using the Dockyard. And getting around the Island from the Dockyard can be quite adventurous given their recent difficulties with public transportation.
__________________
Disney Dream - 2014
Disney Magic - 2012
Carnival Miracle - 2010
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - 2008
Celebrity Zenith - 2006
Carnival Triumph - 2005
Carnival Triumph - 1999
Carnival Ecstasy - 1992
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Mary Ellen Mary Ellen is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,171
Default

The article I read said "Holland America did not say why it planned to shift the Veendam away from Bermuda, but it’s no secret that the line has struggled a bit with the itinerary". If that's the case, I'm glad to see HAL move to a more viable itinerary.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
HamOp's Avatar
HamOp HamOp is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,238
Default Is it a bluff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
The article I read said "Holland America did not say why it planned to shift the Veendam away from Bermuda, but it’s no secret that the line has struggled a bit with the itinerary". If that's the case, I'm glad to see HAL move to a more viable itinerary.
Just might be that HAL is playing hardball with Bermuda. "Let us open the casino while in port and make some money, or we're outta here."

With three or four days in port and most people off the ship much of the time, not much money to be made.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Langoustine's Avatar
Langoustine Langoustine is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte937k View Post
Veendam was a great deal, especially if you cruise in Sept when the rates hit rock bottom and the gangway is line with upgrades.
I just noticed that we were on the same 9/11 cruise. That's exactly what my wife and I did: we booked after major price drop, got an upgrade, and it was much cheaper than flying and staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants for four days.
__________________
__________________________________________


Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami


Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale


New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
bobpatj bobpatj is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cleveland Hts., OH USA
Posts: 1,460
Default

I'm so glad we were able to take this cruise, this past summer. It was wonderful. Too bad HAL won't continue it after 2012.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Susie51's Avatar
Susie51 Susie51 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: California
Posts: 5,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
It's a shame that the Island will lack a major line ship being able to dock in St. George or Hamilton. Many years ago my wife and I sat outside having lunch at the White Horse Tavern in St. George on a plane/hotel trip and watch various ships from NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity docked in St. George and said that would be the way to come to Bermuda next time. Fast forward a couple of years and we were there, this time with kids in tow, via the Celebrity Zenith. Once most of the lines pulled out the smaller ships we came back several years later on the RC Explorer of the Seas, which due to its size was restricted to the Dockyard. You really don’t get the same experience only stopping at the Dockyard, as being on Front Street in Hamilton or in St. George can’t be beat. We’ve had other family members travel on the Veendam the past two seasons, which both times skipped the anchorage at St. George and sailed directly to Hamilton. Bermuda is never going to foot the bill to widen the two passes needed to enter either Hamilton or St. George, so they’re forever be limited to using the Dockyard. And getting around the Island from the Dockyard can be quite adventurous given their recent difficulties with public transportation.
What are some of the transportation problems at the dockyard?
__________________
1993 - NCL - Southward - Baja
1997 - NCL - Crown - British Isles
1998 - RCI - Rhapsody - Alaska
1998 - RCI - Song of America - Mex. Riv.
1999 - RCI - Grandeur of the Seas - E. Carb
2000 - RCI - Vision of the Seas - Panama Canal
2000 - NCL - Sky - Pacific Coast
2001 - Celebrity - Infinity - Hawaii
2001 - Princess - Grand - W. Carib.
2002 - RCI - Vision of the Seas - Alaska
2004 - HAL - Maasdam - Canada/New England
2005 - Disney - Wonder - Bahamas
2005 - NCL - Sun - Pacific Coastal
2007 - Princess - Diamond - Mex. Riv
2007 - HAL - Zuiderdam - E. Carb
2008 - NCL - Majesty - W. Carib
2008 - Carnival - Victory - Canada/New England
2008 - HAL - Oosterdam - Mex. Riv.
2009 - HAL - Westerdam - Alaska
2010 - Celebrity Century - W. Carib.
2010 - NCL - Spirit - Canada/New England
2011 - NCL - Jewel - Bahamas from NYC
2012 - RCL - Explorer - Bermuda
2012 - NCL - Pearl - Pacific Coastal
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.