Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Packing question: jeans/sneakers in the Med in Oct/Nov?

Hello, all!

My DH and I pretty much live in jeans and sneakers all the time, especially during casual weekend days, hiking, walking, etc. However, jeans and sneakers are bulky to pack. Jeans are impossible to rinse out in the bathtub (trust me, I've tried! ) Sneakers can just look sloppy Also, I just don't know if they are appropriate in the Med: will we stand out like a sore thumb? I am just wondering.

Thanks,
Emmie

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've traveled throughout the world for several years and always take our jeans and "white" tennis shoes to wear during the day while touring... and we don't stand out. You'll see jeans worn everywhere, by tourists and locals, and over time, we've seen more and more white tennis shoes worn by locals. At night, Europeans tend to dress up but you can certainly get away with upscale casual in bistros and cafes. Jeans can be warm so in summer months we tend toward lighter weight clothing but always pack a pair of jeans just in case. By the way, husband only flies in jeans... he thinks they're the most comfortable and he doesn't come off a plane after 11 hours looking disheveled.

Old March 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

It depends on your age and what you are doing. Jeans and sneakers are fine for hiking and similiar. In the cities there might be many teenagers wearing them, too, yet someone in his thirties or older in jeans and sneakers/tennis shoes is easily to identify as (often American) tourist.
In many Mediterranean countries people tend to make a clear difference between beach, sport etc. clothing and those for the city, restaurants, nice shopping etc. Just more dressed up.

Old March 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

You will not be out of place with jeans and sneakers (or shorts if it is warm enough) while on shore excursions. Wear clothes and shoes that are COMFORTABLE. On our Mediterranean cruise last year (in April) shorts and jeans were the norm for most people. Also, in most ports you won't have to worry about 'standing out' in the crowd because the ship will have just disgorged 2000 other passengers dressed just like you....and in most places there will be one or two other ships in port also.

On our shore excursions we did A LOT of walking (particularly Mykonos, Santorini and Athens) so dress comfortably, wear good, broken-in shoes and carry a water bottle......you'll have a great vacation.....the Mediterranean is my favorite cruise so far.

Photo slide shows at:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=34001
(when show starts: right-click and select 'full screen' for best viewing. Note: people behind corporate firewalls may not be able to view)

Travel Website at:
http://www.ricklongbrake.com

Grand Princess - TransAtlantic - Sept/Oct 2010
Grand Princess - Europe - Sept 2010
AMA Waterways - Europe's Heartland River Cruise - Sept 2010
Ruby Princess - TransAtlantic - April 2010
Star Princess - Baltic - May 2007
Star Princess - TransAtlantic - May 2007
Diamond Princess - Australia/New Zealand - Mar 2006
Star Princess - TransAtlantic - Sept 2005
Star Princess - Caribbean - Jan 2005
Star Princess - Mediterranean - Apr 2004
Statendam (HAL) - Alaska - July 1995

Old March 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I second the concept of dressing for COMFORT, especially on days when you will be doing a lot of walking. The fact is, I AM a tourist, and an American, and I don't think there's much I can do to disguise that. My main concern is not so much to "blend in" (not a very likely possibility anyway) as to simply be dressed comfortably and appropriately.

I agree you don't see too many locals over thirty in jeans...but you do see jeans all over the place, and as others have pointed out, you will not be the only tourists around anyway. So wear what works for you. (Keeping in mind essential decorum, of course, such as having shoulders covered for entry to churches, or dressing up a bit for nicer restaurants.)

LeeAnne

Old March 19th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

There was a good thread about chosing your clothing for European travel in this forum recently. I'm not sure about posting this link as I've never tried it before, but here goes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=sandals

If that didn't work, search for "Sandals in Europe".

Susan.

Old March 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

There always seems to be a big concern about how to dress in Europe. Has anyone looked at Rick Steves videos? People are dressed the same as anywhere else. casual, long pants, shorts ,sneakers,comfortable shoes etc.