Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is the Differences Between Interior Rooms?

I was studying the deck plan of the STAR and I notice some interior rooms are labeled II, I, J, or K. What is the difference other than the decks they are on?

Also, when doing my pricing my TA didn't offer me anything but a "K" interior room, "EE" ocean view, or "BD" Balcony.

The Mr. & I aren't really picky about where we sleep and shower, but I am curious and it might be helpful to know for future bookings. ...Yes, I'm pretty sure we'll be doing future books and we haven't even sailed yet!

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM
5,000+ Club

The interior rooms are all the same - just categorized by different locations. Kind of strange that your TA only offered you three prices. Do you ask for any other pricing?

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM
40,000+ Club

Like real estate, the difference is location. Most people feel that cabin toward midship and on higher decks are better.

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher_91 View Post
I was studying the deck plan of the STAR and I notice some interior rooms are labeled II, I, J, or K. What is the difference other than the decks they are on?

Also, when doing my pricing my TA didn't offer me anything but a "K" interior room, "EE" ocean view, or "BD" Balcony.

The Mr. & I aren't really picky about where we sleep and shower, but I am curious and it might be helpful to know for future bookings. ...Yes, I'm pretty sure we'll be doing future books and we haven't even sailed yet!

It's possible that your TA has promotional rates on those cabin categories. However, it's professional for your TA to tell you that up front so you don't wonder why.

Celebrity S-Class cabin spreadsheet

Videos
Liberty of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Feb 2013
Freedom of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Sept 2008
Does the cruise ship wait for you? Passengers missing ship - Feb 2009

Upcoming
HAL Ryndam, February 8, 2015 roll call
Celebrity Equinox, July 4, 2015 roll call
RCCL Majesty of the Seas, August 21, 2015

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

No matter which category cabin you book, an inside cabin on the Star should look exactly like this:

Star Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Star Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) -4/05 ... Photos
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) 3/94
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your TA could very well be offering you a "Gty" in each of those categories. Which means, you have no specific cabin assignment and will be guaranteed a cabin in at least that category. Does that make sense?

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Be careful of triple (black triangle) or quad (red circle) occupancy cabins shown on deck maps which have the extra berths partially sticking out of the wall based on the photos I've seen on this board.

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Looks like some of the cabin doors on Aloha deck are configured differently. But pretty much the same layout.

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:00 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

There are several non accessible inside cabins that are larger than the rest. On the Star I believe they are Cat II cabins A507, A508, A514 and A515 and Cat J cabin C106. I don't have photos but you can do a search.
01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina, 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic, 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal, 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal, 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm), 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal, 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers, 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise), 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise), 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera, 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston, 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL, 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan, 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)

Old November 21st, 2011, 04:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
Like real estate, the difference is location. Most people feel that cabin toward midship and on higher decks are better.
With that in mind, this pricing is based on what the cruise lines feel is most desireable. It may be most passenger's priority, but not all of them. You should decide for yourself what is more important to you: i.e. a lower deck near an elevator...or a top deck down a long hallway; a deck that is all cabins or one that is not.

Some also think that a higher priced "inside" cabin automatically means a better cabin, but really they are mostly all the same, with few exceptions.

Old November 21st, 2011, 04:27 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post
There are several non accessible inside cabins that are larger than the rest. On the Star I believe they are Cat II cabins A507, A508, A514 and A515 and Cat J cabin C106. I don't have photos but you can do a search.
Here are some pictures of that type cabin

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Thanks everybody for all the great information & pictures!

I guess I should have asked more questions when I booked. I was just so "gung ho" about getting the booking done. I was also working with a TA I'd known personally (but not used professionally) for many years, so I guess I was just going with what she told me. I'm sure whatever cabin the Mr. & I end up in will be fine. We don't expect to spend much time there.

When I book our next cruise (and yes, even though we haven't even sailed yet, we are thinking about our next cruise ), I'll ask more questions!

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post

Wow, are these updated pictures? This interior looks so different from the other interior pics I've seen. We have an interior on the Caribbean Princess and I really hope it looks like this in particular. It seems like so much more room!

------------------------------------------------
Up next: Just had our first baby! (No $$ or time for cruising for awhile!)
-NCL Pearl ~ Pacific Coastal ~ 5/5/13 ~ San Francisco | Astoria | Victoria, B.C. | Nanaimo, B.C. | Vancouver
-Carnival Destiny ~ Bahamas ~ 1/21/13 ~ Key West | Freeport | Nassau (Trip Report)
-Caribbean Princess ~ British Isles! ~ 5/26/12 ~ London | Guernsey | Cork | Dublin | Liverpool | Belfast | Greenock | Loch Ness | Edinburgh | France (Trip Report - BEST CRUISE EVER!)
-RCCL Freedom ~ Western Caribbean ~ 1/18/09 Ocho Rios | Grand Cayman | Haiti | Cozumel (Trip Report)
-RCCL Monarch ~ West Coast ~ 2/18/08 San Diego | Catalina Island | Ensenada
-Disney Magic ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 4/28/07 St. Maarten | St. Thomas | Castaway Cay (Trip Report)
-RCCL Vision ~ Alaska ~ 5/19/06 Juneau | Skagway | Hoonah | Victoria
-Star Princess ~ Mexican Riviera ~ 1/13/03 Puerto Vallarta | Mazatlan | Cabo San Lucas

Last edited by DeloreanGirl; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The JJ inside cabins do have a slightly different configuration in as much as they appear to be longer than the J cabins and you get a bit more standing space. We always opt for the JJ and visitors often comment on the difference between ours and theirs Also SOME cabins will not have the ability to have a double bed in the CENTRE of the cabin but attached to one wall and this is awkward for some people. Your TA should have explained this to you I would ensure with your next conversation with her that you are not penalized with one of the wall attached cabins if that would makes difficulties.

Most suicides are caused with a knife and fork!

Sun Dream - Baltic Capitals 5*; Sun Dream - Jamaica Caribbean 4*; Sun Bird - Mediteranean 4*; Sun Dream - Jamaica-Teneriffe 4*; M V Isabella Nile 5*; Thompsons Topaz - Mediteranean 5*; Sun Dream - Teneriffe - Dubrovnic(with 91 year old MIL) 4*; Oriana - Norwegian Fjords 2003 3*; Aurora - Iceland and Fiords 2003 4*; Adonia - Brisbane - Hong Kong 2004 4*; M V Victoria - Yangtze 2002 5*; Pacific Sun - Vanuatu and Islands 2005 2*; Pacific Sky Pacific Islands 2*; M V Royal Star - Kenya - Seychelles 2006 6*; Legend/Seas - S'ton -Tampa 2006 4*; Legend/Seas - Tampa - Mexico 2006 4*; Infinity - Alaska Sep 2007 5*; Murray Princess - Murray River Xmas 2007 4*; Sun Princess Pacific Circle (76 days) July 2008 4*; Rhapsody/Seas 6/1/2009 Tasmania 4*; Dawn Princess 9/2/2009 New Zealand 3*; Dawn Princess Brisbane-Sydney 20/6/2009 1*; Rhapsody/Seas Sydney to Perth Oct 2009 5*; Royal Princess Amazon B2B 27th Feb &13th Mar 2010 5*; Sun Princess Africa & India 3rd May 2011 4*; Sun Princess Fijian Jewels March 2012 4* Diamond Princess Bangkok - Sydney 26/11/2012 4*; Grand Princess South America 26th Jan 2013 4*;Sun Princess Christmas 2013 New Zealand 4*; Island princess Panama Canal 5* 1st May 2014; Island Princess LAX-Vancouver 4* 16th May 2014; Sea Princess 17th Aug 2014 Fremantle to Singapore 3*, Sea Princess 1st Sep 2014 Singapore to Fremantle 3*

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post

Thanks for posting these. I booked one of these for the 28 day R/T South Pacific cruise!!!!!! I couldn't swing a balcony going solo so I went for this. It looks much more comfortable than the regular inside and a great location.
Roger Devigne

Completed Cruise
Regal Princess-1 Island Princess x 3
Golden Princess x 3 Crown Princess-1
Diamond Princess-1
Sapphire Princess X 3 -Star Princess-1
Carnival Jubilee -1st cruise 1995 I was hooked
Carnival Holiday X 3-Carnival Triumph-Carnival Elation
Carnival Exctasy x 2-Carnival Conquest-Carnival Paradise X 2-Carnival Spirit-Carnival Splendor
Carnival Miracle X 2-Carnival Inspiration
Royal Caribbean Song of America - Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade-Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
Royal Caribbean Radiance

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks everybody for all the great information & pictures!

I guess I should have asked more questions when I booked. I was just so "gung ho" about getting the booking done. I was also working with a TA I'd known personally (but not used professionally) for many years, so I guess I was just going with what she told me. I'm sure whatever cabin the Mr. & I end up in will be fine. We don't expect to spend much time there.

When I book our next cruise (and yes, even though we haven't even sailed yet, we are thinking about our next cruise ), I'll ask more questions!
Don't beat yourself to roughly over this. As a beginning cruiser you won't even know what questions to ask, but your TA should have been more upfront with the whys & whatfores to a virgin cruiser.

Grand Princess - 04.17.16 California Coastal
Golden Princess - 07.21.15 Back to Alaska
Grand Princess - 04.13.14 Hawaii (b2b)
Grand Princess - 04.06.14 Calif Coastal (b2b)
Sea Princess - 06.02.12 Alaska
Sea Princess - 05.07.10 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - 04.19.09 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 03.02.08 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - 10.21.06 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Star - 06.04.05 Hawaiian Isls, Fanning Island

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Flyer View Post
Be careful of triple (black triangle) or quad (red circle) occupancy cabins shown on deck maps which have the extra berths partially sticking out of the wall based on the photos I've seen on this board.
yes, those cabins are for bookings of three to four persons for that cabin. Hopefully you won't get one of them if there's just two of you, but there's always the possibility especially if you're going while school is normally in session and there's less families.

The beds would be configured differently (split up), with the extra beds that come out of the ceiling or the wall when needed. If you do get one of the extra capability cabins, you can request the beds be moved together.

As others said, location may determine the subcategories (and price). Make sure your TA tells you where the cabins are, and then look at the deck plans (you can look online at Princess.com) and look to see what's on the deck below and above in the same location. Be sure to tell the TA not to accept an upgrade unless you can find out where the new cabin is before agreeing to the change. Not all upgrades are good ones.

It could be that the TA may not want to have overwhelmed you with lots of choices, but could have explained that.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:14 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloreanGirl View Post
Wow, are these updated pictures? This interior looks so different from the other interior pics I've seen. We have an interior on the Caribbean Princess and I really hope it looks like this in particular. It seems like so much more room!
These pictures only apply to the very few cabins (5) such as R515 which are shown on the ship map as horizontal to the hallway.

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post
You disclosed the super secret cabins!

In all seriosity, they are somewhat larger, but I prefer them for their superior layout. The center "island" offers separation of the dressing and "bedroom" areas. And the closets have real "DOORS"!

BTW: Other "Grand/Crown" class ships have six of these cabins on Aloha or Riviera deck. They're easily identified on the deck plans.

Here a few more more photos from Crown Princess:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy
2000 Mercury W. Caribbean
2000 Volendam S. Caribbean
2001 Viking Star Danube River
2001 Veendam E. Caribbean
2002 Veendam B2B Alaska
2003 Zuiderdam B2B W/E Caribbean
2004 Maasdam E. Caribbean
2005 Grand Princess W. Caribbean,
2005 RVI Europe
2005 Veendam S. Caribbean
2006 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2007 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2008 Crown Princess S. Caribbean
2008 Sea Princess Canada/New England
2009 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2009 Crown Princess British Isles
2010 Grand Princess S. Caribbean
2010 Carnival Conquest W. Caribbean
2010 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2011 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2011 Emerald Princess B2B E/S Caribbean
2012 Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
2013 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean January 11
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean April 19

Last edited by Stevesan; February 4th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.