Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel

Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Information re Guadaloupe & Martinique

Just discovered freighters and wish I'd found it years ago, however I'm hoping to go from Dunkerque to French West Indies next year; on CMA CGM with some new ships. This is all completely new so can anyone tell me what access I am likely to have on board, is there access to the decks, thinking of walking around, is there sunbathing space? Do I need really old clothes for deck wear, sort of thing to leave behind. Just any info from more seasoned sailors / travellers much appreciated.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Cogload, Welcome to the freighter forum! There is a nautical saying "different ships, different long-splices" meaning that it is hard to predict any restrictions on access to the ship, it is pretty much up to the captain to decide. On most freighters that carry passengers you will have access to the "house" and its decks, and depending on the loading condition and weather you may be able to walk from one end to the other. Usually you are welcome in the wheelhouse and chart room, but with the permission of the captain and watch officer. The engine room is usually off limits unless specifically invited and with the company of an engineer. Normal street clothes, whatever you are comfortable wearing should be fine, but in the dining room old salts like myself prefer you to use a collared shirt, not t-shirts and flip-flops but that is just my preference.

Old December 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Captainmcd, appreciate the info especially re shirts in dining room. Did a "conventional" cruise last year with 2000 other souls and hated it, nowhere to escape piped "musik" so really looking forward to this experience, have heard that mattresses tend to be on the firm side, have you found this?

Old December 10th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've not noticed any trend in matresses aboard ship, Since motion of the ship on rough days can cause you to roll around in your bed, some people stuff a life jacket under their matress to form a trough to sleep in. After a while you can get a matress that is uneven, but the steward should be willing to change your matress with no problem.