Australia Immigration

blondie1234

I was wondering why all of the Princess excursions start later than 10AM even though we get to Melbourne at 8AM and figure it must be because of immigration.

What is the process for immigration when you first get to Australia on the cruise ship from New Zealand? I read somewhere that Princess gives out numbers and you have to go down to immigration, though this was some time ago. How does the immigration process on Princess for your first Australia stop, which for many is Melbourne? Does it take awhile? I have been to other countries, where it is as simple as showing your passport, and that's it.

If you are not on a Princess tour, does it take forever to get off? Do the shore excursions get priority for immigration?

Immigration (I guess you mean customs) is done onboard during the crossing of the ditch (Tasman Sea). On the SeaP a couple of weeks ago they just chose a small percentage, by memory 2% of passengers or crew,to front up to the customs officials, on the day before entry to NZ. In your case it would be the day before entry to Oz.

Previously it was also done on the crossing of the ditch, but for all passengers.

Jen

Oh, so I guess then when we get to Melbourne, one can just walk off the ship without any fuss. The way I understand what you are saying is that Australian officials board in New Zealand and do the customs/immigration during the crossing, so that when the ship arrives in Melbourne (its first Australian stop), everyone can just get off the ship right away without having to wait in lines outside the terminal for customs/immigration?

For round trip cruises ex Melbourne to New Zealand your Passports will be returned to you prior to arrival in Melbourne, plus a Yellow Australian ENTRY Card which needs to be completed .

On arrival at Melbourne pax disembark in Ships Order by Deck (the more you pay $ the earlier you get off !!!) . The Immigration people on the Pier basically collect the yellow cards and thats it for Aussies, bit more of a check for other Nationalities as are re-entering Australia .

Archived