Brest, France

PH

There is not a great deal of sightseeing in the town itself - a typical French town with a normal shopping centre which isn't particularly attractive. There is however a very good aquarium. You may wish to have a look at the excursions on offer as these would probably offer something more interesting.

Brest isn't even a typical French town since it was almost entirely destroyed during WWII and rebuild with practicality in mind, but not beauty. You have to stay here for a long time (and with the help of a native preferably) to find its hidden charms! ;)

Indeed the aquarium (Oceanopolis) is worth a visit.

The whole area around Brest, however, is very nice. Brest is located in a very wide bay (Rade de Brest) which is beautiful on both sides. You can take a ferry to the other side (Presqu'ile de Crozon) and walk around there, it is very wild. It's France "end of the world" (this part of France is called "Finistère" which means just that). Then, you have the coast at the north-west of town (from Pointe Saint Matthieu to L'Aber Wrach) which is truly beautiful, with rugged cliffs, typical small harbours, and the "abers" (Aber Ildut, Aber Benoit, Aber Wrac'h) which are like small fjords. It's one of the part of France that I like the most, and in May you will have all the trees in bloom.

If you have time for it, you can take a ferry for Ouessant Island or Molène Island which are full of beauty and wilderness but it takes about 2 hours from Brest (1h30 for Molene). But maybe there is a ship excursion that would go there? How long are you staying? If you don't have a ship excursion that appeals to you, would you consider hiring a car and driving around?

We stopped in Brest on or Prinsendam cruise last spring. Since it was a national holiday we were unable to rent a car (all the rental car places were closed) which is or normal form of touring in places like Brest. But another CC member (his name is Fritz and his CC nick is Peacham) agreed to arrange a small tour (we had a large van with about 10) through a large French tour company. We spent the day driving through the countryside and went to Pointe du Raz, Douarnez and Quimper and had a very nice lunch at a seafood restaurant.

As has been mentioned, Brest is not a typical cruise port and there is little to do and see near the port other then going to the Aquarium. Otherwise, you need to rent a car or go on some type of excursion.

Hank

A tour sounds good. Can you tell me the name of the tour company or email it to me? purpleph@hotmail.com Pamela

Since we did not deal with the tour company I do not have their web site (If Fritz shows up here he has all the info). But Fritz did mention (in an e-mail) it was called National Tours. I tried to find that company on the internet with no luck and suspect that Fritz was translating their name from French (Fritz is fluent in French). We probably would not recommend this company since it was a strange set-up. Fritz contracted through them but they subcontracted to somebody else who provided the van and driver. Since Fritz knew the area very well, he did not care if the driver spoke English (our driver was not very fluent in English) and Fritz (he was a fellow cruise passenger) actually became our tour guide for much of the day. When we got to Quimper, we were met by a local professional guide (who spoke perfect English) who gave us a nice walking tour of that city.

Hank

P.S. I was able to locate Fritz elsewhere on CC and left him a message to come to this thread :)

Last June I contacted National Tours to hire a bus and driver when the Prinsendam called in Brest. The pictures from the tour are here:

http://www.peacham.com/prinsendam/brest.htm

The flyer that they put together for me is here:

http://www.peacham.com/prinsendam/BrestTourEnglish.pdf

I will be glad to answer any questions.

Fritz

Fritz

I think I met you on my first HAL cruise in July 2008 to Greenland, Iceland, Norway does this ring a bell, I was traveling with another lady. I believe you helped me with my camera and made a CD of the first pictures I took as I was in experienced with the digital, you recommended I use Picassa as a photo program, which I have done. I've gotten better with my pictures too thanks to you and the computer programs on HAL, I will be doing a TA in April 2012 and one of the stops is Brest, thanks for the heads up on what to do. By the way how is the grand baby.

• 4 weeks later...
Last June I contacted National Tours to hire a bus and driver when the Prinsendam called in Brest. The pictures from the tour are here:

http://www.peacham.com/prinsendam/brest.htm

The flyer that they put together for me is here:

http://www.peacham.com/prinsendam/BrestTourEnglish.pdf

I will be glad to answer any questions.

Fritz

Fritz - I have read the info re your tour out of Brest and have tried to locate National Tours online with no luck. Can you assist me. We dock in Brest in May. Thank you.

Marilyn

Fritz - I have read the info re your tour out of Brest and have tried to locate National Tours online with no luck. Can you assist me. We dock in Brest in May. Thank you.

Marilyn

National Tours seems to be a brand. The company you want is Jouanno-Evasion. Did you try the e-mail address at the bottom of the flyers I posted? Here is the contact information from their web site:

15, place des Canneurs

Tél : 02 98 33 97 97

brest@jouanno-evasion.com

Fritz

National Tours seems to be a brand. The company you want is Jouanno-Evasion. Did you try the e-mail address at the bottom of the flyers I posted? Here is the contact information from their web site:

15, place des Canneurs

Fritz

I guess I messed up and didn't email the proper company. Thanks for your assistance, I appreciate your help.

Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

15, place des Canneurs

Fritz

Fritz - still no luck in contacting Jouanno-Evasion. We have emailed the above address on several occasions with no response. Of course, I do not speak French. Do you have any other suggestions? Other than the ship's tours out of Brest, we have been unable to find a single tour out of Brest. We will be in Brest on a Sunday - do you think that will deter our sightseeing? Thanks for any assistance you can give to us.

Marilyn

Fritz - still no luck in contacting Jouanno-Evasion. We have emailed the above address on several occasions with no response. Of course, I do not speak French. Do you have any other suggestions? Other than the ship's tours out of Brest, we have been unable to find a single tour out of Brest. We will be in Brest on a Sunday - do you think that will deter our sightseeing? Thanks for any assistance you can give to us.

Marilyn

I just telephoned them and she said that she has received your email and is putting together an offer that she will send you within a few days. Please let me know what happens next.

Fritz

I just telephoned them and she said that she has received your email and is putting together an offer that she will send you within a few days. Please let me know what happens next.

Fritz

You are wonderful - thank you. When we didn't hear anything on several occasions, I wasn't sure what to think. I will let you know.

Marilyn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oceanopolis is a superb aquarium and it's only a short taxi ride from the pier. The penguin exhibit is phenomenal; so unless you're planning another cruise to Antarctica, don't miss it.

Archived