Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

May, I see you are going to be on the Century soon. We are too, sailing from Sydney, but not till March....What a pity, we could have enjoyed the Sabbath services together

Sue

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

While on a southern cruise out of San Juan on Adventure of the Seas, I visited the shuls in Aruba, Curacao and St. Thomas. Our tour guide made a special stop for us in Aruba, only to find the shul closed. We were able to go into the shuls in Curacao and St. Thomas and they are truly magnificant. We were in St. Thomas on a Saturday and actually were invited to sit in on a Bat Mitzvah service of a girl from Atlanta. We were invited to join in their kiddish afterward. It was my Mom's yartzheit as well and we were able to observe. We are not particularly observant Jews but we do appreciate the traditional practices.

Happy sailing to all and to all a healthy new year.

RCCL-Liberty of the Seas, October 2012 - W. Med.
CCL-Millenium, January 2011 - W. Carib.
MSC-Poesia, January 2010 - W. Carib.
MSC-Poesia, January 2009 - E. Carib
RCCL-Adventure of the Seas, January 2008 - S. Carib.
CCL-Imagination, June 1999 - W. Carib.
Sitmar Cruises-Fairsky, a long, long time ago. - E. Carib.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on the Summit this past Oct 28th, Celebrity provided us with a room, challah, prayer books, kosher wine and battery operated candles for Shabbos. It was around 5-5:30pm and it was posted in the dailies. It was a nice surprise. There were 10 of us (!) and we had a lovely service.

For the High Holy Days this year we will be attending a 100-yr old synagogue in Jamaica with traditional sand floor and candle light. Looking forward to it!

Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Being Good Guests

We attended Friday night services at the Libertad Synagogue in Buenos Aires. The services were very lively, with a young female cantor and a singing young male keyboard player. The music was very modern, but the words were, of course, familiar.

They services last an hour, but there were 3 couples (who were told the services lasted an hour) who will also be sailing with us who attended and decided, after 15 minutes, that they didn't like the services and got up and left.

I thought this was kind of rude. Please folks, remember that we are "orchim" "guests" at these congregations. The people there are fulfilling a great mitzvah of "hachnasat orchim" and we should be gracious about it.

We've attended services in many places and have noted that "Adon Olam" is almost exactly the same tune in every Ashke**** shul in the world.

We leave in one hour for the port. It has been such fun sharing with fellow MOT here. I hope the thread keeps going.

Until then, L'hit'ra'ot.

Shalom U'vracha
Loyalty program status: Does it really matter?

Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default what a wonderful series of posts!

I feel such a sense of community, here; isn't it great? One of my most unusual visits was to the shul in Florence. I had checked dates but evidently I was sure I'd be able to visit on my Tuesday visit; when that didn't work it, lo and behold, Thursday was Shavuot! No worries. Mr. B. and I attended part of the service. The employee who allowed us through the security checkpoint made only one request (other than that we observe the gender-specific seating): that we remain until the end of the service.

I must confess that I once left a Scottsdale, Ariz., Yizkor service with my cousin and a friend, right after Yizkor, b/c we were on a tight time frame; I agree, though, that it's not a pretty practice, and I was truly embarrassed.

My biggest disappointment in an effort to visit a shul was in Siena. I believed what the web site said about the days and times, but when we arrived, the shul was buttoned up tight. We had to "make do" with the street signs pointing to the sinagogia (my Italian's not great, but I think that's close). I should've emailed or called ahead!

In Rome, there was a wedding going on, wow, neat. In fact, there were two weddings that a.m. All the male guests were in black suits.

The hazzan (recently retired) from my shul used a wonderful Adon Olam one Rosh Hashanah, to the tune of, I'd Rather Be a Hammer than a Nail (Peruvian folk song, El Condor Pasa). Nobody believes me, b/c it was tricky, getting it to fit; but when I was the ONLY congregant who told him how much I loved it, he made a CD for me -- so I have the proof! I actually think he is from Buenos Aires, now that I think about it.

Sue, I don't often get to shabbat services on board, actually. I've been to Hanukah a few times, and in fact I think my more recent one, in Dec. of 2009, was either directly or indirectly responsible for Celebrity's cutting back on clergy on board. That's a whole 'nother story.

I second the motion to keep this thread going with stories of synagogue visits around the world. My next planned visit will be to the Jewish area of a cemetery in Sydney to visit the grave of a dear friend I was hoping to meet in person on my upcoming cruise on the Century. I'm heart broken that she didn't live long enough; but I'll give her an earful of my disappointment, when I visit her grave. I hope it doesn't disturb her final rest!!! When I was in Sydney in 2007, my first sightseeing was to the Jewish Museum. The history of the Jews in Australia and of the Holocaust survivors were wonderful. They have a room there where one could memorialize their lost loved ones from the Shoah, with stone walls and engraved blocks of stone for families or singles -- a place you could visit since you couldn't visit their burial place (such as it might have been) back in Europe. I found it very moving, an effort to bring a small sense of normalcy to the most awful of memories.

I hope the OP has a wonderful cruise, and comes back to report to us! Sue, let's compare notes after we both get back (or inbetween!). I'm at msa1289 at yahoo dot com if you'd like to email me.

--May
1 Azamara (amazing! to Antarctica)
3 HAL
4 Royal Caribbean
9 Celebrity (including the Xpedition, also amazing!)

Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Curacao 5 years ago on Shabbat Chanuka. I had made arrangements by email in advance and had the honor of chanting the Haftara in the synagogue there.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sabbath services

We just came back from Millenium 12/26-12/31. There was a Sabbath service led by a lay person. Not sure if he was compensated by the Cruise line. There was a challah, candles and wine glasses without wine. Not many other guests. Our family was saying kaddish for my father, so we already 8, maybe 5 other guests were in attendance.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie Poodle View Post
We attended Friday night services at the Libertad Synagogue in Buenos Aires. The services were very lively, with a young female cantor and a singing young male keyboard player. The music was very modern, but the words were, of course, familiar.

They services last an hour, but there were 3 couples (who were told the services lasted an hour) who will also be sailing with us who attended and decided, after 15 minutes, that they didn't like the services and got up and left.

I thought this was kind of rude. Please folks, remember that we are "orchim" "guests" at these congregations. The people there are fulfilling a great mitzvah of "hachnasat orchim" and we should be gracious about it.

We've attended services in many places and have noted that "Adon Olam" is almost exactly the same tune in every Ashke**** shul in the world.

We leave in one hour for the port. It has been such fun sharing with fellow MOT here. I hope the thread keeps going.

Until then, L'hit'ra'ot.

Shalom U'vracha
Hi Kellie,

We attended a Shabbat service on Saturday morning at the Libertad synagogue no music or Chazan but a wonderful service and I had an Aliyah Torah after the Kiddush we were invited to the home of a congregant for lunch. It was after the cruise so we were able to return to our hotel afterwards.

Adon Olam is one of the few songs that can be sung to almost any tune, try it out.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lets keep this board going

Millennium - Hong Kong-Vietnam-Thailand-Singapore 2013
Brilliance of the Seas - Dubai to India 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - Sydney to Perth 2010
Azamara Quest - China-Korea-Japan-Hong Kong 2009
Mercury - New Zealand to Sydney 2008
Infinity - Chile-Falklands-Uruguay-Argentina 2007
Summit - Hawaii circle -2006
Infinity - Argentina-Uruguay-Brazil (Rio Carnival) 2005
Infinity - Chile to Fort Lauderdale 2004
Vision of the Seas - Caribbean 2003
Voyager of the Seas - Caribbean 2001

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post

Adon Olam is one of the few songs that can be sung to almost any tune, try it out.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lets keep this board going

One of my all time favourites was Adon Olam to the theme from the film "Exodus".....and we all laughed when it was sung to "Yellow submarine" at a friend's son's Bar Mitzvah

May, it will be fun to compare notes.

Sue

Last edited by Sue'n'Steve; January 3rd, 2012 at 04:05 AM.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sabbath services

There are always services on board...every Friday night. I've attended and enjoyed meeting other MOTs. We also did a Passover sedar conducted by the security staff. It was excellent. Just ask for challah for your table on Friday night. You will enjoy it.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now I am not the most religious person in fact I am probably near the least, however on the 18th Dec 2011 Solstice sailing, I was taken a back on 2 occasions with just how many of us there were on one ship.

Firstly the first night Channuka service not only filled every seat in celebrity central but there were a lot of people standing. If it seats 250 then I would say there were at least 300 in there for the first night service.

Secondly someone organized a Champaign reception near the end of the cruise again in celebrity central and again it was a full house.

Just goes to show you, if you promise donuts and latkas, we will come.

However I did think, there we were, on a ship, in the middle of the Atlantic, 300 Jewish people from around the distant corners world, coming together, to freely practicing a belief, laughing and joking as if everyone already knew each other, was something thing that I was glad to experience and probably unlikely to experience again. I certainly felt a sense of unity those nights.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default nice!

All posters, I must say how much I have appreciated hearing all of your comments. Fixit kind of summed it up. Without ever having met each other before, here we are, chatting away like old friends.

CC.com tends to do that -- but there was Fixit on his Solstice cruise, finding the same experience.

Btw, Fixit, you're probably not the least religious. That person wouldn't have been enticed by donuts and latkes.

Well ... probably not!
3 HAL
4 Royal Caribbean

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great to see so many posting... Just an FYI there is a Cruising Jewish thread in the Floataway lounge where we all can share...

CC

Last edited by curiouscat; January 3rd, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default lol, go know

What's the Floataway Lounge?
3 HAL
4 Royal Caribbean

Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by May B View Post
What's the Floataway Lounge?
It's under the Cruise conversations message boards....

CC

Old January 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

If im not the least then I am fairly low down the list of practicing my beliefs. However even I recognize that even I need an identity and that in this day and age, we need to stand together and its nice when it just happens without motivation too.

Old January 5th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default alas, some people have totally forgotten

Some totally disavow their roots. Luckily the rest of us are around so there's still Jewish survival. Yes, Fixit, you included! Thank you for being counted with us.
3 HAL
4 Royal Caribbean

Old January 5th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default and also ...

Thx for helping to eat the donuts and latkas!
3 HAL
4 Royal Caribbean

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Yes, fellow cc members, celebrity is supportive

I WANT TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY QUESTION.
Celebrity listed the time and place of Friday services in the daily. They had plenty of books, We had a large group and a crew member ran to bring them to us.; however, Kippot were in short supply. We were on a 12 day cruise, 2 sabbath services and we brought extra kippot with us to the next service. Hey, what can I say? I pack everything! Celebrity is a 5 star experience because the crew is actively interested in knowing their passengers..
Again thank you to my fellow cruise critic team for helping with this experience.
the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something"
Sandra Day O'Connor

Old February 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

was on the solstice over 25 Dec.
There was a Channuka service in celeb central and it was packed with about
300 of us in there.