Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Oceania Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Oceania Cruises
Go to the Oceania Roll Call Forums

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default more than 200 Regata guests stranded on Christmas Island

Today more than 200 Regatta guests were stuck on Christmas Island as the dock was too shallow for the tenders to get in to pick up guests and return them to the ship. Oceania had local outriggers bring sandwhiches, water and umbrellas to stranded guests but did not bring any sunscreen. Guests who were in the sun for up to 5 hours waiting for the tide to rise to a level that would allow tender pick up. My husband and I were some of the guests waiting for pick up. What Oceania could have done better was:
1) There was one tender at the dock. Officers congregated in the tender out of the sun and would not allow guests to have shade on the tender as the weight would ground the tender in the sand.
2) Sunscreen should have been brought from the ship. Many of us were on the island since 9:00 this morning and since we could not get back were there until 5:00 pm. Although we had put sun screen on in the morning - we planned on going back earlier in the day. My husband who had been a burn victim years ago has no pigment on parts of his legs and arms. He has very bad sun burn on him and will not be going outside for a while.

The workers in blue not officers went above and beyond and should be recognized by the company for their efforts for consoling those who were upset. I saw one young man who walked arm in arm with an elderly woman who was upset and crying telling her it would be ok. She was at least in him mid to late 80's. Her husband was very burnt and did not have a hat and did not get one of the umbrellas that was passed out.

It is hard to believe that the cruise line did not have tide tables and could not have predicted this situation. Will write more when I return. My internet minutes are running out. Oceania is one of the few cruise lines where you can not use word so you can type before going on the internet without signing in and using minutes.

6/15/2014 Carnival Legend
8/10/2012 Seabourn Quest
12/16/2011 Oceania Regatta - Society Islands
12/17/2010 Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean
12/19/2009 Windstar – Costa Rica
8/5/2007 Ryndam - Alaska
3/31/2007 Wind Surf - Barbados
12/28/2006 RSSC Navigator - Caribbean
12/24/05 Celebrity Millennium South America
08/17/05 Oceania Regatta Baltic’s
12/17/01 NCL B2B Exotic & Southern Caribbean
11/1999 NCL Istanbul/Egypt/Greece
12/1996 Carnival Mexican Riviera
4/1987 Carnival Eastern Caribbean
2/1985 Premiere Disney Cruise
8/1979 Honeymoon Cruise Carnival Western Caribbean

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:51 PM
5,000+ Club

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. I expect this is Oceania's first trip to Christmas Island and hopefully they have learned their lesson.
I know I have - thanks to you - as we will visit this island on the Marina in 2013.

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Very sorry to hear about this and how O responded. Sorry for your husband's issues. We will be at that port later this year in May, I'll have to make a mental note to bear this in mind at this port.

The best lesson here is to always remember if you are in a tropical location to take a tote sack with some essentials including a hat & sunscreen. I always try to do this although I am far from fair skinned. I just hate to get too much sun exposure.

Hopefully they'll figure all these things out as the South Pacific tours progress.

Oceania Insignia San Juan Caribbean Delights; Nov 30 2014,7 Night
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean; Jan 2, 2015 10 night
Oceania Marina Sydney-Papeete Grand Voyage; Feb 23 2016 32 night

Been There Done That Celebrity Summit Canada/New England; Oct 5, 2014 14 Night// Oceania Riviera Venice-Rome Aug 15, 2014 7 Night w/B2B Rome-Rome Aug 22, 2014 10 Night// Oceania Regatta Bermuda/Charleston; Apr 19, 2014 12 Night// RCCL Independence of The Seas Feb 9th, 2014 Western Caribbean 6 Night// Oceania Riviera Istanbul-Barcelona; Nov 6 2013 12 Night w/B2B Barcelona- Miami TA Nov 18th 14 Night// Celebrity Solstice Alaska; May 31, 2013 7 Night// 2/4/2013 Celebrity Constellation-- B2B Caribbean; 5 Night + 2/09/2013 Constellation 5 Night// 11/26/2012 Celebrity Equinox--Transatlantic 14 night// 5/3/12 Oceania Regatta--Tahiti/Hawaii 21 night// 10/28/11 Celebrity Infinity--Panama Canal 15 night// 11/12/10 Celebrity Millennium--E Caribbean 10 night// 10/12/09 Oceania Insignia--Med 10 night// 08/16/08 Regent Paul Gauguin--Tahiti 11 night// 01/26/08 Golden Princess--Mex Riviera 7 night// 01/07/07 Costa Magica--E Carib 7 night// 12/6/04 Silversea Whisper--S Carib 7 night// 6/04 Carnival Jubilee--Carib 4 night// 2/02 Carnival Imagination--Carib 5 night// 3/31/97 Carnival Ecstasy--W Carib 4 night

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Why would O go to Xmas Island. ???

An absolute dump by all reports and has a huge Australian Immigration Center
to lock all the illegal refugees from Indonesia trying to sneak into Australia.

Last edited by joysav; December 30th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysav View Post
Why would O go to Xmas Island. ???

An absolute dump by all reports and has a huge Australian Immigration Center
to lock all the illegal refugees from Indonesia trying to sneak into Australia.
Different Xmas Island. The one Oceania visited is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean not the Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean. It is also known as

Kiritimati, Christmas Island
Oceania Riviera – B2B Miami to Miami, Southern Caribbean, March 4, 2013 & Western Caribbean, March 18, 2013
Oceania Riviera – B2B Barcelona to Lisbon, June 5, 2012 & Lisbon to Rome, June 17, 2012
Oceania Marina – B2B Venice to Athens, May 6, 2011 & Athens to Barcelona, May 16, 2011
Oceania Insignia - B2B Amsterdam to Dover, July 11, 2010 & Dover to Copenhagen (Norway), July 23, 2010
Oceania Regatta – Dover to Dover (Norway & UK), July 10, 2009
Oceania Regatta - Rome-Stockholm, May 14, 2009
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska, May 7, 2001

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Very sad to hear about the sun burns.

I suffer from migrains and allergies. I always have both meds with me at all times. Even if I do not have a bag to put them in, I but a few pills in a plastic baggie and tuck them somewhere on my person. I know that noone will take responsibility for them except me. Perhaps sunscreen needs to be treated likewise in your husbands case.

Hope he feels better soon.

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old December 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Paul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulchili View Post
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. I expect this is Oceania's first trip to Christmas Island and hopefully they have learned their lesson.
I know I have - thanks to you - as we will visit this island on the Marina in 2013.
What cruise are you on? LuAnn

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn View Post
What cruise are you on? LuAnn
LuAnn,
We are on the Dec 27th, 2012 Marina out of Valpo.
After I posted and looked at our itinerary and I realized that we will visit Robinson Crusoe, Easter, Pitcairn and Fakarawa but not Christmas Island.
My bad - maybe wishful thinking?
Paul

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

My first thought: With 200 people, there was no sunscreen to share?

Old December 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

After I posted and looked at our itinerary and I realized that we will visit Robinson Crusoe, Easter, Pitcairn and Fakarawa but not Christmas Island.

We are on that cruise as well. Now less that 1 year away. LOL
Barry and Connie

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by globevest View Post
We are on that cruise as well. Now less that 1 year away. LOL
Barry and Connie
One of these days we should start a roll call
I will be looking for an award flights to Santiago in a month.
Happy New Year and hope to see you on the cruise.

Old December 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Default What a...

Quote:
LuAnn,
Paul
great sounding cruise!! Enjoy!! LuAnn

Old December 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
One of these days we should start a roll call
I will be looking for an award flights to Santiago in a month.
Happy New Year and hope to see you on the cruise.
I was thinking the same about flights. A few years ago I flew AA to Santiago. I will be looking at them again maybe....BK. LOL
Best New Year Wishes to you.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Marina 27 Dec 2012

There is already a Rollcall started for this cruise.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylander View Post
There is already a Rollcall started for this cruise.
Thanks - I signed up.
I am not sure how I missed it (maybe it was on page 2?)

Old January 8th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Stranded on Christmas Island

Hi All:

We are back home now. The issue with Kirbati Island (Christmas because t's are pronounced s's there) was that approx 206 people were stuck on the island as Oceania did not research the tides correctly. There were several diabetics who had brought their own small snacks but we were stuck for more than 5 hours. When Oceania realized they could not get tenders out to pick up guests at first they sent out some fruit trays via local outrigger. This caused some of the diabetic guests’ sugar to soar. On a luxury line, you would think they would have researched the tide tables. Additionally, when officers came out they did not provide leadership with regard to the situation. An example of the disorganization is that people were waiting in line. There was no sun protection so they were told to leave the line and seek out "shade". Later when it was decided tendering would resume, tender tickets were passed out. There was a commotion because those who had been in the front and left the line as directed by staff to do were not given a ticket. I actually saw a man swing at another man.

Officers who were in uniform waited in a tender out of the sun drinking water and laughing while workers in blue shirts and shorts walked around trying to help some of the elderly. The officers could have helped organized the people better and helped find a specific location or grouped people for the tenders. Accurate information was not given to the passengers regarding the situation which was problematic for individuals who had health problems to know what time frame they would be there. At first we were told there would be a one hour delay. Then we were told that it would just be another hour. No one knew how to pace themselves or when we were actually going back. Oceania provided about 15 umbrellas but it was not enough for all the people. There are some buildings on Christmas Island and if we were going to be there all day it would have been nice for the officers to arrange some type of place for us to go. They just did not have a plan. There was no clear leadership. Diabetics and elderly or those who were having a health related concerns should have been tendered back first but were not. I am a sailor as is my husband and we were very disappointed in the officers who were on the scene.

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky123 View Post
Accurate information was not given to the passengers regarding the situation which was problematic for individuals who had health problems to know what time frame they would be there. At first we were told there would be a one hour delay. Then we were told that it would just be another hour. No one knew how to pace themselves or when we were actually going back. Oceania provided about 15 umbrellas but it was not enough for all the people. There are some buildings on Christmas Island and if we were going to be there all day it would have been nice for the officers to arrange some type of place for us to go. They just did not have a plan. There was no clear leadership. Diabetics and elderly or those who were having a health related concerns should have been tendered back first but were not. I am a sailor as is my husband and we were very disappointed in the officers who were on the scene.
Sorry to hear of the incident. We had a similar but not anywhere near as drastic an issue with tender operations on our previous cruise with O. Ours was unreliability of the information the tender attendants gave that made us lose basically an hour of on-shore time in an already short port day.

It is something they can improve upon. Because of our past issue, we try to avoid tender ports as much as possible, and in particular with O.

I do wonder how one would prioritize because the majority of O's passengers are elderly.

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopperfiendTO View Post

I do wonder how one would prioritize because the majority of O's passengers are elderly.
I am wondering how you define elderly.
Lindblad Polaris - Galapagos - 5/06, Lindblad Sea Bird - Alaska - 5/07, Oceania Regatta - Barcelona to Rome - 4/08, NCL [never again] Dawn- New England and Canada 9/08, Lindblad - Costa Rica & Panama Canal- 12/08, Oceania Insignia - Buenos Aires to Rio - 2/09, Oceania Nautica - Istanbul to Athens - 5/09, Oceania Regatta - Stockholm to Dover 9/09, Oceania Insignia - Dover to Copenhagen 7/10, Oceania Nautica - Athens to Rome 10/10, Oceania Nautica - Singapore to Hong Kong 1/11, Oceania Marina - Barcelona to Copenhagen 5/11, Lindblad Delfin - Upper Amazon & Machu Picchu 9/11; Oceania Regatta - Splendors of Down Under 2/12, Oceania Marina - British Isles Legends - Dover to Dover - 6/12; Oceania Regatta - Black Sea Serenade - 8/12; Oceania Riviera - Mayan Mystique - Miami to Miami - 1/13; Oceania Riviera - Aegean Gems - 5/13, Scenic Cruises - Gems of the Danube, Nuremburg to Budapest, 8/13; Oceania Nautica - Pearls of the Orient - Hong Kong to Beijing - 2/14; Oceania Nautica - Viking Odyssey - 7/14. Oceania Marina - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso - 12/14. Oceania Marina - Montreal to London 5/15; Oceania Marina -Lisbon to Cape Town Nov. 2015. Oceania Regatta - Rio to Miami March 2016.

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM
20,000+ Club

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAexNY View Post
I am wondering how you define elderly.
ME TOO
I am getting older but do not think I am elderly yet & you are much more fit than I am

Lyn

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Stranded

I, too, was stuck on Christmas Island. I overheard the captain trying to reach the shore agent for 2 hours and he was nowhere around. My feeling is that once the captain realized the distress the shore-bound travelers were in, there was an immediate surge of water, juice, sandwiches and other food items sent to shore. It was very hot and miserable, but I do feel like the ship did what they could to help us out. I was told they will NOT be stopping on Christmas Island on the return to San Francisco.
Not so bad, as there was nothing there to see or do.