Unbeliveable Aboard Westerdam

charliewesley

This is not by any means my review of the Westerdam cruise, b2b 3/6 thru 3/20

that will come soon but I thought I would get some blood flowing in everyones veins!:D

How about someone TALKING ON A WALKIE TALKIE IN THE PINNACLE GRILL!!:eek:

How about someone WITH AN INFANT IN A FLOATIE IN THE AFT POOL!:eek:

yes mommie took him out and changed his crappy swim suit right in front of me!

yes i reported it to the front desk on two different occasions.

yes they were back!

Thank you Front Office for calling me to tell me that it will be handled!

But. There was a 70+ YO man on last summer's transatlantic who removed his bathing suit after getting out of the whirlpool on the Lido deck, rinsed it in the pool, and trotted off to the aft shower with nothing left to the imagination. "Honey, Iron that thing!"

GN

But. There was a 70+ YO man on last summer's transatlantic... GN

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a YO man?

Two gross stories of people who just think they can do what they like, when they like and who cares about anyone else? Too bad there are people like that in the world and not just on cruise ships. No thought for anyone else. Thankfully they are in a minority.

It's a "charting" designation for "year old".

I'll have to watch my abbreviations.

Also, don't puke, but there was an elderly woman on the Zanndam in the whirlpool with many large open sores on her upper body.... you're right, there are people who totally lack common sense, courtesy and consideration....UGH!

GN

On my last cruise, there were two couples (mid 60's) using the walkie talkies to keep tabs on each other. One couple would be by the pool carrying on long conversations with the other couple who were somewhere else on the ship. the quality of the walkie talkies wasn't very good, so they kept shouting at each other. I can understand keeping tabs on your kids, but this was ridiculous. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when, in the near future apparently, people will be able to use their cellphones while at sea? Working in an office and listening to phones ring all day is enough for me. I go on a cruise to get away from all that!!!

...there was an elderly woman on the Zanndam in the whirlpool with many large open sores on her upper body...
Just one more good reason to stay out of the hot tubs! Makes you wonder sometimes if people even have brains. :rolleyes:

Is the aft pool an adults-only pool? If not, why would an infant in a floatie be a problem? I can see changing the diaper out in public as a problem. But having a baby in a pool isn't shocking to me.

On a cruise about a year ago, a friend and I saw a woman clipping her father's toenails, and putting the clippings in a dessert bowl! We were hesitant to eat anything in those little bowls after that :)

Melissa

Is the aft pool an adults-only pool? If not, why would an infant in a floatie be a problem? I can see changing the diaper out in public as a problem. But having a baby in a pool isn't shocking to me.

On a cruise about a year ago, a friend and I saw a woman clipping her father's toenails, and putting the clippings in a dessert bowl! We were hesitant to eat anything in those little bowls after that :)

Melissa

Well when the infant goes, poopy or peepee, the rest of the pool patrons get to share. O and BTW it is generally against the rules for infants to be in any of the pools, hmmm wonder why, O yeah, poopy diapers.....:rolleyes: PS I really hope you are joking.:eek:

jc

Yesterday I saw the cutest bumper sticker on a car "The more I deal with people the more I like my dog". How appropriate is this when you deal with people with no consideration for others.

I always stay out of the hot tubs and the pools when I cruise because of the above issues.

Sorry about the strange occurences you highlighted. It was nice meeting you on the first leg of your b2b and I couldn't help thinking about you the first week we were back , wishing we were still on the ship like you!

We went to the aft pool in the morning when we were in Nassau (didn't get off the ship) with my 10 yr old son. There was no notice about it being an adult only pool. It did say kids under 14 must be supervised. There was almost no one there anyway-- everybody went to Nassau. My son had fun diving in the pool retrieving lime wedges and plastic champagne glasses from the bottom. I figured if they'd been in the chlorine overnight, they'd been sanitized. Thank goodness he didn't find anything else!

Welcome back home!

.............. "Honey, Iron that thing!"

GN

:D ROTFLOL!!!

I generally make it a rule never to go in any public pools or hot tubs for all the reasons stated above. And I am the least germophobic person I know.

That said, the points by the OP can be true in almost any place we go in society.

Although cruising is, in a way, "getting away from it all", we're never really and truly "away from it all":o

We were cruising with another carrier in February. One of the pools had to be drained and cleaned twice in one week because of fecal contamination. Each time. the pool was out of service for 24 hours.

We love to cruise, but no more hot tubs or shipboard pools for us.

We went to the aft pool in the morning when we were in Nassau (didn't get off the ship) with my 10 yr old son. There was no notice about it being an adult only pool. It did say kids under 14 must be supervised. There was almost no one there anyway-- everybody went to Nassau. My son had fun diving in the pool retrieving lime wedges and plastic champagne glasses from the bottom. I figured if they'd been in the chlorine overnight, they'd been sanitized. Thank goodness he didn't find anything else!

Welcome back home!

:) Hmmmm....Diving???

Oh great!:eek: One of my priorities on cruises is a swim in the pool EVERY day. After reading all this I may have to reconsider the daily swim if, or when, we cruise again. The cruises we take are usually the longer ones, and children are few and far between, so maybe there was no problem. As I have posted on other threads, I am new to this Board and I wish I had known about it years ago as I have become aware of so many issues that hadn't even entered my head before. Maybe it's best not to know? I don't use the hot tubs, I kind of knew about the problems those create, but I hadn't considered the pools. So much for my exercise program.

Just a question about the man that took his suit off - is it possible that he was from another country where this was perfectly acceptable? Having lived in Germany, nudity was not a problem, people went to the river park in street clothes and changed in the park right in front of you. No one but the Americans thought it was strange. Granted it is a shock but maybe he didn't realize he was being a jerk by our standards.

Now some of the other items - well all I can say is GROSS!!!! Think I will bypass the pools and whirlpools.

Don't worry too much about swimming in the pools. IF the chemicals are maintained correctly, there should be plenty of chlorine to kill off any harmful bacteria. Sure, we all hope there isn't any in there in the first place, but just in case, that's what heavy doses of chlorine are there for.

You can usually tell whether the chemicals are balanced just by looking at the pool. If you can't see the bottom of the pool or the water appears cloudy or hazy, then don't get in. If it appears crystal-bright, it usually means the chemicals are balanced well and you're safe to swim.

BTW - "The more I deal with people the more I like my dog". LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Go to www.cdc.gov and read about crypto--chlorine will not kill it (oocysts). It only takes one or two oocysts to make a baby, elderly person or one with immune problems deathly ill--a contamination of a pool will have millions of them:mad: Oh, don't forget about E-coli or N-virus, too.

Be sure to read the part about never putting your face in the water or accidentally drinking it.

I won't swim in a public pool or get in a public hot tub. If you do decide to get in, at least know what is swimming with you.

How many folks do you think die each year from Swimming in the pool on a HAL ship... I am thinking of a number between 0 and 0. Let's leave the the fear mongering at home, ok kids?:D

Anyone else read the new Micheal Chrichton book "State of Fear". A great read.

jc

Archived