2013 European Cruises

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

SeaDream Yacht Club

Read SeaDream Yacht Club Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:49 PM.
#22
Along the Hudson River in NY
3,403 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by ganttc
Just booked May 11 - Rome-Athens!
Congrats ganttc! DJ's DH has me convinced to wait until spring '14 to do the Med since it will be our 30th wedding anniversary that June!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#24
Germany
1,049 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Jim Avery
What cabin did you get me?
We're in 212!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature













Our first cruise- Vision of the Seas- June 4, 2009 Baltics
#25
1,247 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Has anyone figured why Seadream is so expensive in the Med, compared to their Caribbean fares, and compared to other lux lines? Supply/demand, high port charges, expensive booze (and a clientele that drinks them out of house and home )?

We booked our upcoming Seabourn cruise on one of their bigger ships (450 pax), in a 300 sqft (plus veranda) cabin, for about 2/3 what the similar SD itinerary cost (at the SD GTY rate). But the choice was due to schedule contraints rather than cost. Am I missing something about finding the lowest SD fares?

Maybe its a 110 pax vs 450 pax thing.
#26
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
6,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Ragnar Danneskjold
Has anyone figured why Seadream is so expensive in the Med, compared to their Caribbean fares, and compared to other lux lines? Supply/demand, high port charges, expensive booze (and a clientele that drinks them out of house and home )?

We booked our upcoming Seabourn cruise on one of their bigger ships (450 pax), in a 300 sqft (plus veranda) cabin, for about 2/3 what the similar SD itinerary cost (at the SD GTY rate). But the choice was due to schedule contraints rather than cost. Am I missing something about finding the lowest SD fares?

Maybe its a 110 pax vs 450 pax thing.
Have wondered the same thing Ragnar. Our Seabourn Spirit trip was significantly less expensive for a similar product. Curious minds want to know.
#27
Along the Hudson River in NY
3,403 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I don't know the reason but I would venture to guess that it is simple math. SD has two ships and SB has 5 ships, two of which carry 4 times more passengers than SD.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#28
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
6,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by DisneyJen
I don't know the reason but I would venture to guess that it is simple math. SD has two ships and SB has 5 ships, two of which carry 4 times more passengers than SD.
But they also had Myself and Ragnar to contend with.
#30
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
6,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Ragnar Danneskjold
Are docking fees based on vessel length, tonnage, or pax load? Or does any ship taking up a berth pay the same fee? That could put SD at a disadvantage compared to larger vessels.

(Sorry about the thread hijack...)
Based on past experience on freight and tank ships, all of the above (except pax load) play a part. Short version, the smaller ship pays less dockage. I do not know if that is still valid but I suspect it is.
#31
Wake Forest, NC
1,013 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Thanks Jim for that explanation. Makes sense to me! Guess we still don't know why the prices seem higher. I still think on some voyages SD goes to some more exotic ports and docks in places some of the other ships don't.

But to get this thread back on subject, we just canceled the Sept 2012 Black Sea cruise and made someone very happy! That cruise has a waiting list so someone gets our spot. Then we booked the May 2013 Black Sea Cruise. Our friends who could not go in Sept have also booked the May 2013 cruise so we will have a group of six on that cruise. Actually saved some money even with the $50 cancellation fee because the 2013 cruise was less than the 2012 cruise. We're really looking forward to that cruise! But it does seem sooo far away!
#32
Along the Hudson River in NY
3,403 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by whatnot
Thanks Jim for that explanation. Makes sense to me! Guess we still don't know why the prices seem higher. I still think on some voyages SD goes to some more exotic ports and docks in places some of the other ships don't.

But to get this thread back on subject, we just canceled the Sept 2012 Black Sea cruise and made someone very happy! That cruise has a waiting list so someone gets our spot. Then we booked the May 2013 Black Sea Cruise. Our friends who could not go in Sept have also booked the May 2013 cruise so we will have a group of six on that cruise. Actually saved some money even with the $50 cancellation fee because the 2013 cruise was less than the 2012 cruise. We're really looking forward to that cruise! But it does seem sooo far away!
Which May '13 cruise did you book whatnot?

We are looking at the May 11 to 18, 2013 ... as a matter of fact I think DJ's DH will be sold on it by Sunday
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#33
Germany
1,049 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by DisneyJen
Which May '13 cruise did you book whatnot?

We are looking at the May 11 to 18, 2013 ... as a matter of fact I think DJ's DH will be sold on it by Sunday
Really?? Then I'll finally get to cruise with DisneyJen!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature













Our first cruise- Vision of the Seas- June 4, 2009 Baltics
#34
Along the Hudson River in NY
3,403 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by knotheadusc
Really?? Then I'll finally get to cruise with DisneyJen!
Yep ... Some will tell you sailing with me isn't all that exciting
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#36
Orchard Lake, Mi
33 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by DisneyJen
Yep ... Some will tell you sailing with me isn't all that exciting
Club Director Daniel had only nice things to say about you while onboard SD1 last week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2007 RCCL Navigator
2008 Carnival Victory
2009 NCL Jewel, Disney Magic, Disney Wonder
2010 RCCL Independence, RCCL Radiance, RCCL Oasis, RCCL Mariner, Crystal Symphony, Seadream I
2011 NCL Dawn, RCCL Oasis, RCCL Allure, Crystal Serenity, Seadream I
2012 RCCL Serenade, Seadream I, RCCL Majesty, Azamara Journey

#37
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
6,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by JasonandEllorie
Club Director Daniel had only nice things to say about you while onboard SD1 last week.
It was that really nice donation to the crew fund.
#38
Along the Hudson River in NY
3,403 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by ctbjr1309
I know nothing.......
Okay Schultzie!

Originally posted by JasonandEllorie
Club Director Daniel had only nice things to say about you while onboard SD1 last week.
Thanks for sharing Jason and Ellorie ...

Originally posted by Jim Avery
It was that really nice donation to the crew fund.
Too funny Jim! DJ's DH and I didn't make our donation to the crew fund until we were back on land. I thought he made it and he thought I made it ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#39
Germany
1,049 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
DisneyJen, I think it was your posts that helped me convince my husband to try SD in the first place! So, in a way, you're kind of responsible for our SD addiction! I figure that's worth at least one toast with a bottomless glass of champagne in the TOY Bar!

Of course, I'm also dying to meet the great Jim Avery, who shares my fascination with SeaDream passengers who clip tiny portable fans to their bosoms.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature













Our first cruise- Vision of the Seas- June 4, 2009 Baltics
#40
Wake Forest, NC
1,013 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
OK, you all will beat me getting back on board. Our cruise is May 25- June 5, 2013. Glad DJ and Knot get to sail together. Maybe we can all sail together one day!