Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice Offer up your advice for saving money on cruises...from booking tips to info on shore excursions.

Old January 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Overseas Airfare

I'm at a loss of how to make a European cruise affordable. While I can find cruise prices I consider well within my budget, the astronomical cost of flying overseas is making me think this is a luxury I cannot afford.

Boggles my mind that the cost of airfare would be two-three times the cost of the cruise.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Airfare

We are in the same shape..would love to do a Med/Greece cuise, but I can do 2 or 3 cruises from Galveston, just for the price of the airfare. I would like to hear good info from anyone who has been also.

Old January 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
10,000+ Club

We have done European cruises the last three years and yes, airfare is expensive. One thing we do is take longer cruises so we get to see as much as possible with only one flight. Another thing is to check surrounding airports that you are willing to go to for a flight. An example, we are 3 hours from Dulles but drove there to fly to Paris because we saved $600 / pp (and there are three of us). It is not ideal but $1,800 goes a long way. My rule of thumb is if I can get close to $1,000 / pp, I book the flight.

Old January 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Certain cities are much more expensive to fly into, so make sure you check other cruise ports. Often Rome, Venice and Athens offer similar itineraries but Rome is MUCH cheaper to fly into. Being flexible with airports in the states and dates can save you $600-1000. I flew to Venice and back though from Orlando never for more than $1300 (included high season of summer and Christmas and other times of the year, my DH lived near there for two years). Athens is SUPER expensive to fly into even from Europe so I'd definitely try an Italian port if you're trying to go there.
Celebrity Summit 1/25/2014 (St Johns, St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados) 7 night Southern
Carnival Glory- 2/2/2014 (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan) 7 night Western- kids first cruise

I cruise for ports!

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
10,000+ Club

Agree, cities such as Barcelona and Venice are always priced higher. Rome usually a much cheaper city to fly into and out of.

If you can cruise before summer vacation starts or in the early fall, you are going to find cheaper airfare. You cannot compare the cost of the cruise with the airfare to get there; they are two different things.
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Cruising Europe

I know your situation very well but time and patients can pay off. The wife and I have done four Medditterean cruises over the past ten years and I think the most we ever paid for airfare was $850 per person. Timing is everything. Try to pick a 12 day cruise sometime in May before the summer hike in airfares. It is common knowlegde that summer airfares in Europe (June through August) are very pricy. We have cruised out of Barcelona twice and Rome twice. Barcelona is probably the best place for a first European cruise. I say this because Hotels in Barcelona are reasonbly priced when compared to Rome. Also it is easy going getting to the Port in Barcelona compared to Rome. Note: Romes port is 60 miles from the city and can be inexpensive if you use the train system ($20 Euros). The ships transportation will fun about $80 to $90 Euros per person. Private transportation will run a minimum of 160 Euros or more. Don't take a taxi unless you are prepared to hand out more than 280 Euros. Barcelona from the Airport to the cruise port is 30 Euros for two people excluding tip. If you do fly into Barcelona and it is May make sure it is not during the week of the Spainish Grand Prix when getting a hotel can be expensive. I think you can get a reasonably priced hotel four star Hotel in Barcelona for around $100 Euros. Don't give up go to "Kayak" and run airfares for the month of May and see what you can come up with. With persistance you can get an airfare under that $1000 mark. My rule of thumb is if the airfare exceeds the price of the cruise its a no go. For a first time cruiser to Europe alway plan to stay at least two days before the cruise. I hope this informatinl helps. Tim

Old January 24th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How to make airfare to Europe affordable

I have been able to see some wonderful cities in Europe, and kept the airfare affordable, by going on transatlantic cruises. You can purchase one way fare to London and cruise out of Southhampton or Dover. Pick a cruise with some good European stops before it heads across the Atlantic back to the USA. One year I got a $500 one-way flight to London, took a transatlantic cruise with stops in France, Spain, Portugal, and ended in Houston. The domestic flight from Houston to home was very affordable. Best of luck to you.

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivian02 View Post
I know your situation very well but time and patients can pay off. The wife and I have done four Medditterean cruises over the past ten years and I think the most we ever paid for airfare was $850 per person. Timing is everything. Try to pick a 12 day cruise sometime in May before the summer hike in airfares. It is common knowlegde that summer airfares in Europe (June through August) are very pricy. We have cruised out of Barcelona twice and Rome twice. Barcelona is probably the best place for a first European cruise. I say this because Hotels in Barcelona are reasonbly priced when compared to Rome. Also it is easy going getting to the Port in Barcelona compared to Rome. Note: Romes port is 60 miles from the city and can be inexpensive if you use the train system ($20 Euros). The ships transportation will fun about $80 to $90 Euros per person. Private transportation will run a minimum of 160 Euros or more. Don't take a taxi unless you are prepared to hand out more than 280 Euros. Barcelona from the Airport to the cruise port is 30 Euros for two people excluding tip. If you do fly into Barcelona and it is May make sure it is not during the week of the Spainish Grand Prix when getting a hotel can be expensive. I think you can get a reasonably priced hotel four star Hotel in Barcelona for around $100 Euros. Don't give up go to "Kayak" and run airfares for the month of May and see what you can come up with. With persistance you can get an airfare under that $1000 mark. My rule of thumb is if the airfare exceeds the price of the cruise its a no go. For a first time cruiser to Europe alway plan to stay at least two days before the cruise. I hope this informatinl helps. Tim

Thanks for the great information. Appreciate you taking the time.

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a GREAT thread. The Mr. & I would love to do a cruise to Europe next summer. (It really doesn't matter where, since we've not traveled in Europe at all!) I have been pricing it out like we were going this year and like the OPs have said, have found airfare quite steep! Sadly, going in the 'cheaper' season is not an option. As a teacher, I really need to vacation in the summer months. (Another good reason to look forward to retirement! )

This summer we are doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. I booked our airfare in October and already it has doubled in price! I'm wondering if I booked our summer 2013 cruise this summer if I'd be able to find some good prices on airfare. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for letting me 'chime in' with my question on this thread. I love CC!

Old January 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher_91 View Post
This is a GREAT thread. The Mr. & I would love to do a cruise to Europe next summer. (It really doesn't matter where, since we've not traveled in Europe at all!) I have been pricing it out like we were going this year and like the OPs have said, have found airfare quite steep! Sadly, going in the 'cheaper' season is not an option. As a teacher, I really need to vacation in the summer months. (Another good reason to look forward to retirement! )

This summer we are doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. I booked our airfare in October and already it has doubled in price! I'm wondering if I booked our summer 2013 cruise this summer if I'd be able to find some good prices on airfare. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for letting me 'chime in' with my question on this thread. I love CC!
I doubt you'll find cheap airfare to Europe in the summer, regardless of how far out you book. I've been searching for years and it's always high in the summer. As you say, wait for retirement

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomwithaview View Post
I have been able to see some wonderful cities in Europe, and kept the airfare affordable, by going on transatlantic cruises. You can purchase one way fare to London and cruise out of Southhampton or Dover. Pick a cruise with some good European stops before it heads across the Atlantic back to the USA. One year I got a $500 one-way flight to London, took a transatlantic cruise with stops in France, Spain, Portugal, and ended in Houston. The domestic flight from Houston to home was very affordable. Best of luck to you.
If you are flying one way, most of the airlines will charge you for a round trip. One exception to this is Aer Lingus, the Irish airline. You can book a true one way flight to Europe. The only catch is that you will have to fly into Ireland and spend a delightful time in either Dublin or Shanon airport. Then catch a connecter to Heathrow or other English stop.
marveagle at verizon dot net

January 11, 2014 Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean
March 2, 2014 Allure OTS Eastern Caribbean
May 16, 2014 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic Seas
May 31, 2014 Independence OTS Western Med
April 12, 2015 Quantum OTS Eastern Caribbean

RCCL Diamond PLUS
Princess Platinum (almost Elite)
Celebrity Elite PLUS

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been to Europe six times the last 5 years on cruises and land vacations and airfare has always been expensive even though we vacation in the spring and the fall. Will be going again on a cruise in October RT Venice /Greek Isles and post cruise to Milan. The airfare is still around $1250 per person when I checked earlier today. I doubt it will go lower than that. But I want to go on this cruise/vacation so will have to bite the bullet...

* Working on my bucket list one port at a time and spending my kids inheritance one cruise at a time *

Carnival Splendor Oct 2015 - 7 days Bermuda -Norfolk RT
Carnival Splendor May 2015 - 5 days Bahamas -Norfolk RT
Celebrity Millennium Feb 2014 - 14 days S.E. Asia ; Hong Kong- Singapore
RCL Splendour of the Seas Oct 2012 - 7 days E. Med / Greek Isles -Venice RT
Celebrity Constellation Nov 2011- 14 days Holy Land ; Istanbul -Barcelona
Star Princess Aug 2010 -11 days Scandinavia /Baltics -Copenhagen RT
RCL Enchantment of the Seas May 2010 - 6 days Bermuda -Norfolk RT
HAL Eurodam March 2010 - 7 days Eastern Caribbean -FLL RT
Carnival Imagination Nov 2009 - 3 days Bahamas -Miami RT
RCL Voyager of the Seas Oct 2007 -7 days Western Mediterranean -Barcelona RT
HAL Masdaam Dec 2006 - 11 days Southern Caribbean -Norfolk RT
HAL Zuiderdam Aug 2006 - 11 days Alaska Cruisetour /Yukon tour from Anchorage; cruise Skagway- Vancouver

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by celyvabeach View Post
We have been to Europe six times the last 5 years on cruises and land vacations and airfare has always been expensive even though we vacation in the spring and the fall. Will be going again on a cruise in October RT Venice /Greek Isles and post cruise to Milan. The airfare is still around $1250 per person when I checked earlier today. I doubt it will go lower than that. But I want to go on this cruise/vacation so will have to bite the bullet...
Try checking the price via the cruise line as this might be cheaper (i.e., Cruiseair for Royal or Celebrity). You will need your booking number to access the site. Ask your TA for the exact instructions.
marveagle at verizon dot net

January 11, 2014 Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean
March 2, 2014 Allure OTS Eastern Caribbean
May 16, 2014 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic Seas
May 31, 2014 Independence OTS Western Med
April 12, 2015 Quantum OTS Eastern Caribbean

RCCL Diamond PLUS
Princess Platinum (almost Elite)
Celebrity Elite PLUS

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marveagle View Post
Try checking the price via the cruise line as this might be cheaper (i.e., Cruiseair for Royal or Celebrity). You will need your booking number to access the site. Ask your TA for the exact instructions.
Last cruise in November on Celebrity we booked thru Cruise Air. It was about $900.00 (Istanbul / Barcelona) including bus transfer to airport. At this point it is not available for our RCL sailing yet. Will continue monitoring prices.

* Working on my bucket list one port at a time and spending my kids inheritance one cruise at a time *

Carnival Splendor Oct 2015 - 7 days Bermuda -Norfolk RT
Carnival Splendor May 2015 - 5 days Bahamas -Norfolk RT
Celebrity Millennium Feb 2014 - 14 days S.E. Asia ; Hong Kong- Singapore
RCL Splendour of the Seas Oct 2012 - 7 days E. Med / Greek Isles -Venice RT
Celebrity Constellation Nov 2011- 14 days Holy Land ; Istanbul -Barcelona
Star Princess Aug 2010 -11 days Scandinavia /Baltics -Copenhagen RT
RCL Enchantment of the Seas May 2010 - 6 days Bermuda -Norfolk RT
HAL Eurodam March 2010 - 7 days Eastern Caribbean -FLL RT
Carnival Imagination Nov 2009 - 3 days Bahamas -Miami RT
RCL Voyager of the Seas Oct 2007 -7 days Western Mediterranean -Barcelona RT
HAL Masdaam Dec 2006 - 11 days Southern Caribbean -Norfolk RT
HAL Zuiderdam Aug 2006 - 11 days Alaska Cruisetour /Yukon tour from Anchorage; cruise Skagway- Vancouver

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I second the suggestion of looking at the air options provided by the cruiseline, even though there are downsides to buying their group tickets (lack of flexibility, no ability to reserve seats ahead of time, etc.). For me it made my Western Med cruise possible as I was able to get fares under $1000/pp to Barcelona through Madrid on Iberia (def. no frills, but we made it!).

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Aer Lingus

I second the idea of using Aer Lingus. Two years ago we did a TA ending in Rome. Aer Lingus was the only cheap tickets I could find. We flew out of Rome in early April to Dublin. Stayed there a couple of days, then had a second ticket from Dublin to Boston. Probably could have just set the tickets up for a couple of hours apart and stayed at the airport but I tend to worry about missing flights and I saw staying in Dublin as a plus.

Total cost was about $1400 for two people which was about half the cost of other airlines.

3-10-2014 Noordam 11-day So. Caribbean cruise
3-21-2014 Noordam 14-day TA to Barcelona

4-1-2012 Nieuw Amsterdam 29 day TA/Med Cruise
3-4-2011 Rotterdam 30 day Hawaii and South Seas Cruise

3-8-2010 Statendam 18 day Panama Canal Cruise

3-14-2009 Oosterdam 18 day TA /European Cruise

9-15-2007 Oosterdam 7 day Alaska Submarine Veteran Convention Cruise

Old February 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is the only thing that cruising solo has it's advantages. I may pay double for the cruise but at least have only 1 airfare. I took a TA in 2007 and only had to pay the airfare back from London. I will be looking for bargains next year for my Europe cruise.
04/14/2007 NCL Dream- Transatlantic
02/2004 Carnival Elation -"Leap Day" cruise

Upcoming cruises

04/13/13 Crown Princess TA from Galveston
04/30/13 NCL Breakaway Inaugeral TA cruise

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by april47 View Post
This is the only thing that cruising solo has it's advantages. I may pay double for the cruise but at least have only 1 airfare. I took a TA in 2007 and only had to pay the airfare back from London. I will be looking for bargains next year for my Europe cruise.
If cruising solo was and option for me, financially I'd do it in a heartbeat. But having a SO means paying for two people, so we've been reading over Traveling on a Budget and we've learned a few good tips and compared overseas flights using the fare compare option. There are so many resources out there, honestly, it's made our budgeting a lot less stressful than it used to be.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberR108 View Post
If cruising solo was and option for me, financially I'd do it in a heartbeat. But having a SO means paying for two people, so we've been reading over
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberR108 View Post
Traveling on a Budget and we've learned a few good tips and compared overseas flights using the fare compare option. There are so many resources out there, honestly, it's made our budgeting a lot less stressful than it used to be.

I've added this link to my favorites. I'm always looking for another research tool! Thanks!

Old March 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

search thru different sites like vayama, expedia, then the airline directly. i book from nyc to barcelona and back from venice to nyc for $1100 per person making a stop.