Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Juneau?

For Juneau, we will be in port from 8a-9p. I would love to do the Adventure Bound excursion and they say we would probably have enough time to make it to the boat by 8:30, but I'd hate to push it and then be left scrambling. So, I am thinking Mendanhall and Captain Larry. My wife and like to break up long port days by taking a couple of shorter excursions with a visit back to the ship for lunch (ahhh, the peace and quiet.) We would probably just do the ships tour to Mendanhall from 8:30-11:30 and then Captain Larry at 3:30. If we did this, we would probably miss going into Juneau. Is there any "must do" in downtown Juneau? I've read about the Red Dog but it seems sort of touristy. Is it worthwhile? Thanks once again.

Last edited by stlrod; January 23rd, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Our Juneau agenda is:
8:30 am Alaska State Museum
10/10:30 Orca Enterprises whale watch
1:30/2 Mendenhall Glacier
6:00 Salmon Bake --maybe

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Really no reason for the ship tour to Mendenhall. Just buy the +-$18 round trip bus ticket there. Then you can be on your own schedule.

The only "problem" with your plans is that you basically waste an hour or more in transit. The glacier is more than 1/2 way to the whale watching. But if you prefer it that way, fine - just so you know.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Adventure bound to Tracy Arm? That is one very long out and back, its beautiful but IMHO not worth skipping Juneau if you've never been there.

I only had a 1/2 day in port, never got time to explore the city.

One thought do Mt Roberts and the town in AM do whale watching and Mendenhall in the PM. The stop at Mendenhall is on the way to most of the docks that do whale watching so you savetime no double back and forth.

Happy planning

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Downtown has plenty to see, Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, Historic Cemetery, State Capital, Governor's House, Last Chance Mine (farther walk).

As for the Red Dog, yes, it is too touristy. I instead recommend the historic Alaskan Hotel. on Franklin, down and across the street from the Red Dog.

As alternative suggestion would be to rent a car. I would drive to the whale watch and Mendenhall, and add several other of the areas attractions on the north end.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm taking the Tracy Arm excursion in the morning. After late lunch/early dinner on the ship (I think - I am doing the excursion alone, my boys may eat on the ship without me...) I want to go up Mt. Robert Tram (if the weather is nice enough) & I want to go to Mendenhall Glacier for 2 or 3 hours. Anything else for us would be a bonus in Juneau.

Old January 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

My top 4 for Juneau = Mendenhall, Mt. Roberts, Alaska State Museum and the Hangar bar and restaurant. Good shopping for local goods in the Museum and in the "mall" where the Hangar is located.

Old February 12th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shore Excursion in Juneau

Hey!
When our family went to Alaska, we took a floatplane trip to the Taku Lodge. Expensive, but so worth it. We rode in a floatplane over several different glaciers, saw lots of wildlife, and had an absolutely wonderful salmon dinner. If it is available I highly recommend it.

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:50 PM
5,000+ Club

We're going to be in port from 8am until 1:30pm this summer on the Jewel. I am renting a car first thing in the morning and we're going to spend 3 hours out and about, then drop off the car and spend an hour downtown before getting to our Tracy Arm excursion at 1pm. We'll drive out the Mendenhall while visiting the fish hatchery out on the way (interesting, but not worth dedicating more than 30 minutes to), then drive up north to the shrine and eagle beach before heading back. Red Dog is just a tourist place anymore. What I'm trying to remember is the name of the dive fish-n-chip place I used to eat at downtown. They breaded fresh halibut! Yum!
Carnival Paradise 2011: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468875

Epic Info:
From the Deck Chair trip Review - Epic: http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/...-report-day-0/
Malcolm Oliver's Cruise Blog - Epic: http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/n...iew-june-2010/
Epic "hull" cabin info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522322
Epic uncovered balcony info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523109
Dragable deck plans: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Ma...rwegian%20Epic

Other NCL Info:
NCL Dining Guide: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/fil...e-06202014.pdf
Helpful NCL documents http://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs
NCL ship Virtual Tours http://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancru...85302731539795
Shop NCL: http://www.nclgiftshop.com/

HOW TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.p...arch#faq_basic

NCL Jewel - Alaska 2012; CCL Paradise - Mexico 2011; NCL Epic - Inaugural Western Caribbean 2010; RCI Vision of the Seas - Mexico 2008; Disney Magic - W Caribbean 2005; RCI Viking Serenade - Mexico 1996; RCI Sovereign of the Seas - E Caribbean 1994

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

How close are the rental cars to the cruise terminal?
My wife and I are having a tough time with Juneau
and deciding what to do.
We have been to Mt.Roberts, The Bake and Ice cube.
Sometimes wandering is the best option.
I'm going to keep watching this thread for ideas and locations.

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frediver View Post
and deciding what to do.
There isn't a cruise terminal. The docks stretch for about a mile along the waterfront of Juneau. It's wise to find out where your vessel is docking when making plans.

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Since you live in Juneau do you know of anyone who rents motorcycles/scooters/ bicycles or who might be the closest car rental to the "port" area?
I would like to go back to the top of Mt.Roberts but my wife says No Hiking,
she has a bad knee.

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_harbor View Post
There isn't a cruise terminal. The docks stretch for about a mile along the waterfront of Juneau. It's wise to find out where your vessel is docking when making plans.
Hello Tea harbor
June will be my third trip to Juneau. Could you arrange to have good viewing weather so I can get to the Mt.Roberts Tram
What do you do in Juneau?

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Since you live in Juneau do you know of anyone who rents motorcycles/scooters/ bicycles or who might be the closest car rental to the "port" area?
I would like to go back to the top of Mt.Roberts but my wife says No Hiking,
she has a bad knee.
A bike rental place opened last year. It could be a bit of a walk from your ship; it's by the bridge to Douglas.

Last year, Rent-a-Wreck and I believe National, were in the general downtown area. As you'll see in other threads, some people find the walk not bad to the pickup location and others take a cab. With a bad knee, a cab would be in order unless you were at the dock nearest to the pickup location.

Quote:
Could you arrange to have good viewing weather so I can get to the Mt.Roberts Tram
What do you do in Juneau?
HAH at the weather! I do a lot of strolling on trails or on the beach; our natural beauty is up there with the great museums of Europe in its own way.

But if it's going to be raining hard, I'd definitely always have a plan B, C, and maybe even D. I enjoy both our museums, State and City, as well as DIPAC, the fish hatchery. I think the glacier's visitors center is worth some time even with poor weather.

Old February 19th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

tee_harbor,
Does a ticket allow you to go up the Mt. Roberts Tramway more than once in a day?

Old February 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Mt. Roberts Tramway was awesome and there is a good restaurant at the top as I recall. It was neat to walk through downtown Juneau, but honestly Mendenhall and hiking on Mt. Roberts were most memorable to me. Have a good time! Juneau was an awesome port.
December 2013 - Caribbean Princess, West Caribbean (Next)

Last edited by bobs145; February 19th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Old February 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yes, the ticket for Mt. Roberts is good all day - ride up and down as often as you like! Great well-marked trails up there, go up to the cross and look at that view - stunning!

Old February 19th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
and deciding what to do.
National is close to the AJ dock.

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
National is close to the AJ dock.
I have a car reserved with them for when we are there in May. Do you know if we walk, they pick us up or we have to take a taxi to get the car from National?

plus
Lynn (& Jim)

Coming up: Solstice 4/15(H) Sailed: Solstice 9/14(A),Summit 4/14(B),Carnival Dream 1/14(W),Freedom 11/13(W),Fascination 8/13(B),Radiance 5/13(A),Oasis 2/13(W),Oasis 10/12(W),Radiance 05/12(A),Jewel 02/12(W),Monarch 12/11(B),Allure 10/11(E),Infinity 05/11(A),Navigator 02/11(W),Radiance 10/10(W),Serenade 04/10(S),Navigator B2B 02/10(W),Freedom 09/09(W),Enchantment 09/09(W),Monarch 07/09(B),Radiance 05/09(A),Navigator 02/09 (W),Mariner 09/08(E),Mariner 03/08(E),Mariner 12/07(E),Spirit 04/07(H),Miracle 10/06(W),Radiance 03/06(W),Caribbean Princess 09/05(E),Mariner 02/05(W),Constellation 03/04(E),Spirit 04/03(H),Spirit 02/02 (S),Explorer 10/01(E),Victory 01/01(W),Rhapsody 04/00(H)(wedding & honeymoon),Enchantment 05/99(W),Vision 12/98(PC),Legend 05/98(H),Fascination 01/98(S),Imagination 01/96(W),Sensation 01/94(W)43/246(28)/359(4)

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMZinSC View Post
I have a car reserved with them for when we are there in May. Do you know if we walk, they pick us up or we have to take a taxi to get the car from National?
You can walk if your ship docks there. Otherwise it is a mile from the other docks. Shuttle buses do run between the two, but they are cruiseline contracted by the AJ dock ship. Walkable along a sidewalk, if no mobility concerns.