Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
natemp21 natemp21 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Smile Sail and Sign with Cash and Gratuities

I want to set up my sail and sign card with cash. I know they "recommend" $200 but do I really have to put that much on it.

Let me say that we do NOT drink and we won't be buying anything on the boat. (so we won't even spend a cent)

We would like to pay our tips in cash throughout the week as it is more personal to us. Therefore, how do we avoid Carnival from sending us an invoice at the end of the week with the gratuities amount?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Crazy4Koko's Avatar
Crazy4Koko Crazy4Koko is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 4,012
Default

you should be able to go to Guest services and ask to have the gratuities removed..I believe that should take care of it. No, there is no minimum to the best of my knowledge..but I never really thought about it, either.


We usually put cash down on our card ( based on our budget of what we plan to spend) and then use a CC as a back up in case we go over....
__________________
Nothing to see here
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
CCLNCLRCICRUISER's Avatar
CCLNCLRCICRUISER CCLNCLRCICRUISER is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,481
Default

If you dont spend a cent and plan to pay your tips in cash, you dont have to put down anything. Just go down and let them know to remove the tips.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
natemp21 natemp21 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you for your responses! I wasn't sure if it'd be a big hassle or if I'd have to fight them for me not to put any cash on my sail and sign card. I just want this cruise to be easy breezy.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
kcroxyoursox's Avatar
kcroxyoursox kcroxyoursox is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 698
Default

It's not that your way is a "hassle," they just have a way they do it because it's more convenient that way. Many people who say they'll tip in cash are really going to stiff on tips, and there are many behind the scenes people who split tips that otherwise may not get them if you only tip those you actually see face to face.
__________________
My friends call me K.C.

Bob's 75th birthday bash - Carnival Victory, June 2004
A Few Good Friends - Carnival Conquest, October 2007
Legacy Boxer Rescue's Rescuers Unleashed - Carnival Ecstasy, November 2009
Rescuers Unleashed, the sequel - Carnival Conquest, November 2010
Rescuer's Here We Go Again - RCCL Navigator of the Seas, November 2014

For every life there is a legacy. Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
nutcasefam's Avatar
nutcasefam nutcasefam is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever my travels take me.
Posts: 313
Default You can prepay your gratuities

I always have my PVP add the gratuities to my bill before we go so I can have everything prepaid. It makes me feel better and keeps me more caught up with my spending budget. BTW I always bring extra cash to tip for RS and excellent service where needed.

We didn't put any $$ on our sail and sign for the first cruise. When we checked in the lady kept saying you need to add money. I kept saying but were not buying anything so do I have to? Eventually, she said no, but that I would not be allowed to purchase anything unless there was some $$ on the account. (We had $75 of OBC so I knew we'd be good.) We aren't big drinkers and we even got a check at the end of the cruise for $$ not spent! I felt like I got paid to cruise!
__________________
Ali
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
CCLNCLRCICRUISER's Avatar
CCLNCLRCICRUISER CCLNCLRCICRUISER is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcasefam View Post
We didn't put any $$ on our sail and sign for the first cruise. When we checked in the lady kept saying you need to add money. I kept saying but were not buying anything so do I have to? Eventually, she said no, but that I would not be allowed to purchase anything unless there was some $$ on the account. (We had $75 of OBC so I knew we'd be good.) We aren't big drinkers and we even got a check at the end of the cruise for $$ not spent! I felt like I got paid to cruise!
Thats actually not true, Carnival reps want you to put money on your account to entice you to spend money. You can put nothing on your account and still buy drinks, I believe you can spend $50 before they cut you off.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
CHERRYBRANCH CHERRYBRANCH is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 78
Default

I have seen what the reccommended amount is for gratuities, however I keep reading where you can tip more. Do you give cash to the employees at the time of service, for instance, when you are in the dining room, do you tip just like in a resturant? I have read so many reviews, I am starting to get confused.
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
CCLNCLRCICRUISER's Avatar
CCLNCLRCICRUISER CCLNCLRCICRUISER is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERRYBRANCH View Post
I have seen what the reccommended amount is for gratuities, however I keep reading where you can tip more. Do you give cash to the employees at the time of service, for instance, when you are in the dining room, do you tip just like in a resturant? I have read so many reviews, I am starting to get confused.
If you want to tip more, you can give it to the person or go to guest services and have the amount increased for the room steward or dining room waiter.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
nutcasefam's Avatar
nutcasefam nutcasefam is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever my travels take me.
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberDestiny View Post
Thats actually not true, Carnival reps want you to put money on your account to entice you to spend money. You can put nothing on your account and still buy drinks, I believe you can spend $50 before they cut you off.

I thought that is what I read somewhere....I just didn't want to be the one to put the $$ amount and be incorrect. Thanks for the info!
__________________
Ali
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
bzpilot bzpilot is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 654
Default

http://www.***********/Carnival/info.html

Sail & Sign Card
  • You will receive your Sail & Sign Card when you first check-in at your port of departure.
  • "Sail & Sign" is Carnival's onboard cashless credit program, which allows you to charge all your services, gratuities and purchases during your cruise to your cabin. Your Sail & Sign Card is also your cabin key.
  • All locations on board will accept your Sail & Sign Card for payment; the casino will also accept cash.
  • A credit card or cash deposit is needed to establish your Sail & Sign account. The initial credit card hold is: $100 for a 2-4 day cruise, $200 for a 5-8 day cruise, and $350 for a 9 day or longer cruise. These amounts are also recommended, but not required, for those doing a cash deposit. You have 24 hours to place cash on your account once you are checked in. You can still use your Sail & Sign card for purchases during those 24 hours (up to $50 total). The line at the Purser's Desk to place cash on your account can be quite long immediately after boarding, it may be worth waiting till later since you can still use your card for 24 hours - the Purser's Desk is open 24 hours a day too. You can set spending limits and check the status of your account at any time.
  • Your Sail & Sign Card also serves as your Boarding Card. This card identifies you as a Carnival guest and must be carried with you along with your picture ID when you go ashore. Because the ship is closed to the public while docked at the various ports-of-call, you’ll have to show your Sail & Sign Card and picture ID to the officer on duty in order to reboard the ship.
********************************

It is true that removing automatic gratuities is looked down upon by the crew. It is assumed by many staff you are just going to stiff them. In a way it is true because some people being tipped by current automatic tips you will not have any personal interaction with and you will not be able to tip them unless you go waaaay out of your way to find them all:

1) Waiter
2) Assistant waiter
3) Head Waiter
4) Room Steward
5) Hotel Staff
6) Kitchen Staff
7) Entertainment Services
8) Guest Staff


If you really question whether the crew cares or will know about you removing automatic tips take a look at this article from Carnival a couple years ago. It was an email posted on the wall in a crew area and it was sent to all the head staff (and probably seen by all staff) listing everyone who had removed automatic tips! Why else would this letter exist if they didn't believe all these people were trying to stiff them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...led-staff.html


I recommend leaving the automatic tips. Pay for them before hand if you want. Tip EXTRA if you want, but leave automatic tips.


Is it right that this done? No
Does Carnival say it isn't anymore? Yes
Do I think it still is? Yes
Do I think everyone that is removing tips is stiffing the crew? No
Do I think that many of the staff still believes you are stiffing them? Yes

Last edited by bzpilot; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
1948buddy 1948buddy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilot View Post
http://www.***********/Carnival/info.html

Sail & Sign Card
  • You will receive your Sail & Sign Card when you first check-in at your port of departure.
  • "Sail & Sign" is Carnival's onboard cashless credit program, which allows you to charge all your services, gratuities and purchases during your cruise to your cabin. Your Sail & Sign Card is also your cabin key.
  • All locations on board will accept your Sail & Sign Card for payment; the casino will also accept cash.
  • A credit card or cash deposit is needed to establish your Sail & Sign account. The initial credit card hold is: $100 for a 2-4 day cruise, $200 for a 5-8 day cruise, and $350 for a 9 day or longer cruise. These amounts are also recommended, but not required, for those doing a cash deposit. You have 24 hours to place cash on your account once you are checked in. You can still use your Sail & Sign card for purchases during those 24 hours (up to $50 total). The line at the Purser's Desk to place cash on your account can be quite long immediately after boarding, it may be worth waiting till later since you can still use your card for 24 hours - the Purser's Desk is open 24 hours a day too. You can set spending limits and check the status of your account at any time.
  • Your Sail & Sign Card also serves as your Boarding Card. This card identifies you as a Carnival guest and must be carried with you along with your picture ID when you go ashore. Because the ship is closed to the public while docked at the various ports-of-call, you’ll have to show your Sail & Sign Card and picture ID to the officer on duty in order to reboard the ship.
********************************

It is true that removing automatic gratuities is looked down upon by the crew. It is assumed by many staff you are just going to stiff them. In a way it is true because some people being tipped by current automatic tips you will not have any personal interaction with and you will not be able to tip them unless you go waaaay out of your way to find them all:

1) Waiter
2) Assistant waiter
3) Head Waiter
4) Room Steward
5) Hotel Staff
6) Kitchen Staff
7) Entertainment Services
8) Guest Staff


If you really question whether the crew cares or will know about you removing automatic tips take a look at this article from Carnival a couple years ago. It was an email posted on the wall in a crew area and it was sent to all the head staff (and probably seen by all staff) listing everyone who had removed automatic tips! Why else would this letter exist if they didn't believe all these people were trying to stiff them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...led-staff.html


I recommend leaving the automatic tips. Pay for them before hand if you want. Tip EXTRA if you want, but leave automatic tips.


Is it right that this done? No
Does Carnival say it isn't anymore? Yes
Do I think it still is? Yes
Do I think everyone that is removing tips is stiffing the crew? No
Do I think that many of the staff still believes you are stiffing them? Yes
This was an excellent post, so ,thank you..In my opinion you should always pre-pay the gratuities, or let them add them to your S&S, then if someone really does give you service that is better than average, by all means, give them some extra. We have had some of the crew members on our cruises that pleased us so much , so we want them to know how much they are appreciated. I also contact the cruise line later and give them names and positions of those that made our cruise such a great experience...
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
CHERRYBRANCH CHERRYBRANCH is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilot View Post
http://www.***********/Carnival/info.html

Sail & Sign Card
  • You will receive your Sail & Sign Card when you first check-in at your port of departure.
  • "Sail & Sign" is Carnival's onboard cashless credit program, which allows you to charge all your services, gratuities and purchases during your cruise to your cabin. Your Sail & Sign Card is also your cabin key.
  • All locations on board will accept your Sail & Sign Card for payment; the casino will also accept cash.
  • A credit card or cash deposit is needed to establish your Sail & Sign account. The initial credit card hold is: $100 for a 2-4 day cruise, $200 for a 5-8 day cruise, and $350 for a 9 day or longer cruise. These amounts are also recommended, but not required, for those doing a cash deposit. You have 24 hours to place cash on your account once you are checked in. You can still use your Sail & Sign card for purchases during those 24 hours (up to $50 total). The line at the Purser's Desk to place cash on your account can be quite long immediately after boarding, it may be worth waiting till later since you can still use your card for 24 hours - the Purser's Desk is open 24 hours a day too. You can set spending limits and check the status of your account at any time.
  • Your Sail & Sign Card also serves as your Boarding Card. This card identifies you as a Carnival guest and must be carried with you along with your picture ID when you go ashore. Because the ship is closed to the public while docked at the various ports-of-call, you’ll have to show your Sail & Sign Card and picture ID to the officer on duty in order to reboard the ship.
********************************

It is true that removing automatic gratuities is looked down upon by the crew. It is assumed by many staff you are just going to stiff them. In a way it is true because some people being tipped by current automatic tips you will not have any personal interaction with and you will not be able to tip them unless you go waaaay out of your way to find them all:

1) Waiter
2) Assistant waiter
3) Head Waiter
4) Room Steward
5) Hotel Staff
6) Kitchen Staff
7) Entertainment Services
8) Guest Staff

If you really question whether the crew cares or will know about you removing automatic tips take a look at this article from Carnival a couple years ago. It was an email posted on the wall in a crew area and it was sent to all the head staff (and probably seen by all staff) listing everyone who had removed automatic tips! Why else would this letter exist if they didn't believe all these people were trying to stiff them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...led-staff.html


I recommend leaving the automatic tips. Pay for them before hand if you want. Tip EXTRA if you want, but leave automatic tips.

Is it right that this done? No
Does Carnival say it isn't anymore? Yes
Do I think it still is? Yes
Do I think everyone that is removing tips is stiffing the crew? No
Do I think that many of the staff still believes you are stiffing them? Yes
Thank you so much for clearing this up for me! As you can tell, I will be a first time cruiser! It is all new to me and I so look forward to learning the "in's" and "out's" so to speak! Thanks again!
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:28 PM
ladybug1s's Avatar
ladybug1s ladybug1s is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 368
Default

so we can put cash on it instead of handing out a credit card to them? That is what I'd like to do also.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
rle1982 rle1982 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 116
Default

I am sure not ALL people who have the tips removed are not going to stiff the staff...but a lot of them do I am sure. it's like 11.50pp/pd that is not that much when you consider ALL the services it includes. Extra cash for GREAT service is a good idea, but IMHO....don't be a cheap ass....leave the automated tipping on there so EVERYONE on the ship gets their fair share.

I worked in the service industry for about 10 years and I know that tips canbe the lifeblood of a lot of these people and I would never dream of trying to short them.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.