Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old March 27th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Is there a difference between Dramamine and Bonine?

A K-Mart pharmacist told me there is NO difference but I thought I'd ask the experts here on this board!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:54 PM
10,000+ Club

I think it depends on the person. All our body chemistries react differently. but with me-Bonine does not make me drowsy. Dramine does. Plus if you notice on ship Dramine is free at the purser's desk- where as Bonine is sold in the usually in the ship's shop.

Now I am a cheapskape. I go for "free" first but I can tell you this I would rather buy the bonine and use that then take the free dramine-I take the dramine and then I am too sleepy to enjoy the shows and entertainment in the lounges etc. and end up "going to bed with the chickens" I don't want to do that on a cruise. Why spend all that money on a cruise and then go to bed at 9 p.m.? I can do that at home for free.
It took me a couple of cruises to figure that out but once I did -I have not taken dramine again.
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

I have cruised the Caribbean, east, west and southern; Alaska, Bermuda, a transatlantic which included North west Europe and East coast Canada, the Med., and a California coastal/Baja. I loved them all!

What's booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014

Old March 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with the previous post... Dramamine makes me drowsy where Bonine does not. Bonine was prescription for many years before it came over the counter. I've done many cruises using Bonine and have never had a problem so I figure why mess with success

Old March 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Dramamine - bonine

I agree with the other posts.
Dramamine makes me drowsy where Bonine does not. My son has been a pharmacy person for years and there is a difference.
I also like the fact that bonine - I can take one our two pills for the whole day.
Disney Wonder 11/2002
HAL Zaandam 4/2003
HAL Ryndam - Alaska 8/2003
Disney Wonder - 10/2003
Rotterdam - 4/2/2004
Horizon - 11/19/2004
Zaandam - 4/2/2005
Westerdam - 11/20/2005
Disney Wonder - 3/2/2006
Noordam - 6/30/2006
Westerdam - 11/19/2006

Old March 27th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bonine and Anti-vert are the brand names for meclizine.

Dramamine is the brand name for dimenhydrinate.

Old March 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee
Bonine and Anti-vert are the brand names for meclizine.

Dramamine is the brand name for dimenhydrinate.
I thought so and this pharmacist told me that Bonine and Dramamine have the same ingredient (meclizine) in it. What does a pharmacist know!!

Old March 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are 2 types of Dramamine: Original Dramamine and Dramamine II Less Drowsy Formula. Original is dimenhydrinate, a close cousin to Benadryl, while Dramamine II is meclizine, the excat same as Bonine, which the KMart pharmacist may have been referring to. In my area, Dramamine II is alot cheaper than the Bonine.

Signed, another KMart Pharmacist.

Old March 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDawg
There are 2 types of Dramamine: Original Dramamine and Dramamine II Less Drowsy Formula. Original is dimenhydrinate, a close cousin to Benadryl, while Dramamine II is meclizine, the excat same as Bonine, which the KMart pharmacist may have been referring to. In my area, Dramamine II is alot cheaper than the Bonine.

Signed, another KMart Pharmacist.
Thanks for the explanation KMart Pharmacist!

Old March 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Meclizine, the generic, is a lot cheaper than either Bonine or Dramamine. I just bought a bottle of Meclizine.........100 tablets, just under $10.00. Last time I bought Bonine, it was something like $ 7.00 for 8 tablets. Just ask the pharmacist for it, it does not require a prescription.

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bonine has been the best med for me. My druggist did offer to sell me the generic Meclizine, but I declined. Bonine has always worked, so I have been afraid to switch, even though he says it is the same. I tried Dramamine once, but it made me drowsy.
Valor....11/11

Old March 28th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Walmart sells meclazine in 100 tablet bottles for about $9.50. Works every bit as well as the Bonine. I echo previous posters. Dramamine (at least the original) definitely makes me snooze. Never had the problem with Bonine.

Carnival Conquest May 2005

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

One other difference re kids...

Perhaps the K-Mart Pharmacists can add more expertise, but in my research on this, both Bonine and the non-drowsy (new) Dramamine (which has the exact same ingredient) indicate they should not be given to kids under 12, where the original formula of dramamine indicates a lower dosage can be given to kids as young as six.

I don't like the drowsiness issue with the original formula, but we are sailing with a 9 & 11 year old.

Old March 31st, 2005, 03:10 PM
10,000+ Club

Bonine and Meclizine HCL are the same thing. Meclizine is a chemical name, Bonine is a trade name. They are identical in formulation. The only difference is that Bonine costs $7 for 8 pills and Meclizine costs $5 for 100. Again, they are the same pill...

Future Cruises: Star Princess September 2013 & January 2014, Golden Princess August 2014
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (5), Regal Princess (old) (5), Golden Princess (4), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Grand Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)