Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Princess' Wine Bottle Package

Many of you have asked for information about the new Wine Bottle Package that is being test-marketed on select Princess ships. DH and I purchased a 7-Bottle Gold Tier package last week onboard the Crown and also got a copy of the full description of the program from a lovely restaurant hostess. We have additional information based on conversations with waitstaff and Maitre d' and will answer questions as we are able.

Princess' Wine Bottle Package
Crown Princess, January 28-February 4, 2012

The wine bottle package is a two-tiered wine by the bottle promotion whereby passengers can prepay for bottles of wine of varying quantities at a discounted rate.

Silver Tier Wine Bottle Program (Tier 1): Any bottle of wine up to and including $29 in retail value. Bottle packs of 5/7/10/12 will be available.

Gold Tier Wine Bottle Program (Tier 2): Any bottle of wine up to and including $45 in retail value. Bottle packs of 5/7/10/12 bottles will be available.

In the instance that passengers wish to buy a bottle of wine in excess of either the Silver or Gold Tier, an onboard credit can be made for either $29 or $45 which can be applied to the higher-end bottle of wine.

Passengers choose (in the future, pre-orders via Special Services) the package they prefer and receive the relevant punch card. As passengers order bottles, servers bring the punch card to the bar to have it processed and punched.

Following packages are available:

Silver Tier Bottle Program (Tier 1) - any bottle up to $29
5 Bottle Pack: $120/av$24/bottle
7 Bottle Pack: $161/av$23/bottle
10 Bottle Pack: $210/av$21/bottle
12 Bottle Pack: $240/av$20/bottle

Gold Tier Bottle Program (Tier 2) - any bottle up to $45
5 Bottle Pack: $160/av$32/bottle
7 Bottle Pack: $217/av$31/bottle
10 Bottle Pack: $290/av$29/bottle
12 Bottle Pack: $336/av$28/bottle

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad to hear Princess is doing that. We always but a wine package when we sail on Royal Caribbean. We feel it's a good deal as we get an opportunity to save while drinking the higher end wines.

Tahitian Princess- Tahiti Honeymoon Jan 03
NCL Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Oct 04
Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 05
Celebrity Millenium Mediterranean Oct 06
RCI Radiance of the Seas Caribbean Jan 08
Star Princess Alaska May 08
Ruby Princess Caribbean Jan 09
Ruby Princess Caribbean Jan 10
Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda May 10
Crown Princess -The Bravehearts - British Isles Aug 10
Majesty of the Seas - Feb 11 - Warm up to Oasis!
Oasis of the Seas - Feb 11
Crown Princess - Caribbean Nov 11
Allure - Caribbean Apr 12
Emerald Princess - Baltic -Aug 12
Star Princess - Cape Horn Jan 13
Emerald Princess - Dec 13 New Years Cruise

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting that. Good to know.

Old February 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM
40,000+ Club

Thanks for the info.

Two questions: Any idea of the roll out schedule? We are on the Ocean Princess for 30 days in April & May. These packages would be great.

How about a 2b2? can you get one package and use it over the two cruises?

Thanks

Old February 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Two questions: Any idea of the roll out schedule? We are on the Ocean Princess for 30 days in April & May. These packages would be great.

How about a 2b2? can you get one package and use it over the two cruises?

Thanks
No idea about when the program will be available fleetwide.

Once you prepay for the wine package, it is yours to use when and how you wish. Since I didn't stay at dinner on Thursday night to finish that bottle, it was saved for Friday night. We brought the last bottle home with us after having it delivered to our stateroom.

Not sure about a B2B, but if you purchase a large package on the first leg of your voyage and don't drink all of it, you can have the remaining bottles delivered to your stateroom to enjoy during the second leg

Cheers!
Chris

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the information.

Punch Card, smunch card. Why bother? I like this policy better: Buy a wine package at any bar, room service, wine cellar, sommelier or wine steward. Take delivery in your room, MDR, bar etc. Drink it anywhere. Even better, for wines that are your favorites, bring them on board. Corkage fee? of course. And if you love wine, you know which line/s have this policy

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Thanks for the info & in another current wine package thread they say these prices do not include the 15% tip which is added to the package's total cost.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1565332

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Flyer View Post
Thanks for the info & in another current wine package thread they say these prices do not include the 15% tip which is added to the package's total cost.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1565332
Correct. The "official" information that I posted does not include any the 15% gratuity that is automatically added to any onboard beverage purchase.

Cheers!
Chris

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:43 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinchris View Post
Correct. The "official" information that I posted does not include any the 15% gratuity that is automatically added to any onboard beverage purchase.

Cheers!
Chris
Thanks Chris for confirming the prices are plus 15% tip.

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM
20,000+ Club

It will be interesting to learn what Princess includes in these packages, on the surface it looks good. We just purchased a couple of packages on Celebrity last month and found the packages rather restrictive, had mainly lower end European wines and frankly of the 10 different wines we tried there was only one that we would likely purchase outside of the package.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old February 6th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am curious to know if you pre-order and pre-pay for a wine package (as if it was a gift) will you still pay the 15% onboard? It seems to me that in the past when we pre-ordered the beer package we did not have to pay the 15%. When we boarded the ship, there was a card in our room informing us to contact room service when we would like the beer to be delivered. Our credit card had already been zapped when we ordered it about 2 weeks before the cruise.

Any thoughts?
GOLDEN PRINCESS September 2012 3 Days Vancouver to LA 3 day cruise to Elite!
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS August 2012 Alaska CruiseTour -- Denali Explorer
Land tour: June 2012 London and Bavaria, Germany
STAR PRINCESS March 2012 South America to San Francisco
EMERALD PRINCESS August 2011 Baltic
GOLDEN PRINCESS April 2011 Hawaii
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS January 2011 Mexican Riviera
CROWN PRINCESS September 2010 New Eng/Canada
CORAL PRINCESS April 2010 Panama Canal
STAR PRINCESS January 2010 Antarctica Wedding at Sea!
RUBY PRINCESS September 2009 Mediterranean Engaged in Venice!
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS April 2009 Mexican Rivera
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS April 2007 NZ/Australia
TAHITIAN PRINCESS August 2006 Tahiti
SUN PRINCESS August 2005 Alaska

Future:
DIAMOND PRINCESS April 2013 Southeast Asia / Best of China Cruisetour
ROYAL PRINCESS October/November 2013 Maiden Caribbean B2B
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS April 2014 California Coastal

Old February 6th, 2012, 12:40 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late View Post
I am curious to know if you pre-order and pre-pay for a wine package (as if it was a gift) will you still pay the 15% onboard? It seems to me that in the past when we pre-ordered the beer package we did not have to pay the 15%. When we boarded the ship, there was a card in our room informing us to contact room service when we would like the beer to be delivered. Our credit card had already been zapped when we ordered it about 2 weeks before the cruise.

Any thoughts?
My experience has been that when pre-ordering any drinks the tip is included in the price. The price onboard will appear to be less but after adding the 15% tip it's the same as the pre-ordered price.

Old February 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
It will be interesting to learn what Princess includes in these packages, on the surface it looks good. We just purchased a couple of packages on Celebrity last month and found the packages rather restrictive, had mainly lower end European wines and frankly of the 10 different wines we tried there was only one that we would likely purchase outside of the package.
The wine packages are not pre-selected: Passengers choose their wine bottles from the full Princess wine list. If you want a higher-priced wine than those offered in the price range for which you paid, you will be credited that amount and pay the full price for the more expensive bottle of your choice. To the best of my knowledge of the program, no wines are off-limits as long as you want to pay the difference in price.

Cheers!
Chris

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinchris View Post
The wine packages are not pre-selected: Passengers choose their wine bottles from the full Princess wine list. If you want a higher-priced wine than those offered in the price range for which you paid, you will be credited that amount and pay the full price for the more expensive bottle of your choice. To the best of my knowledge of the program, no wines are off-limits as long as you want to pay the difference in price.

Cheers!
Chris
I certainly hope this is true. As I recall, a few of the wines I like most are between $45 and $50. I'm much more inclined to get the package if I can still buy those wines--and pay the additional amount. Prior posts on CC have indicated that you can't use the package on wines above the price limit.

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff50 View Post
I certainly hope this is true. As I recall, a few of the wines I like most are between $45 and $50. I'm much more inclined to get the package if I can still buy those wines--and pay the additional amount. Prior posts on CC have indicated that you can't use the package on wines above the price limit.
From the document that I posted at the beginning of this thread:

In the instance that passengers wish to buy a bottle of wine in excess of either the Silver or Gold Tier, an onboard credit can be made for either $29 or $45 which can be applied to the higher-end bottle of wine.

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Princess Wines

Wine is one of our pleasures, and we are fairly pleased with the quality of selections as various price points. I look forward to this developing package.

In the last two years I met the "first" Sommelier in the Princess fleet, or that is how he described himself. He told us the goal as to hire several more for select ships to increase wine knowledge. By making wine less intimidating folks can enjoy the joys of the fruit and increase sales.

In 2008 my wife and I were introduced to Don Maxaminio Founder's Reserve, an incredible wine from Chile. Our waiter, Rene, was from Chile and wanted to share this wine with pride. While hard to find in the U.S., it has been available on every Princess cruise we've taken since. We always take home a few extra bottles; the prices are on par with land based purchases, if you can find the wine.

But I digress ... Experiment with wines and I suspect the packages described should do well!

Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean 7-Days 2012
Disney Magic Caribbean 4-Days 2011
Ruby Princess Mediterranean 12-Days 2010
Celebrity Century Mexico 4-Days 2010
Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera 7-Days 2009
Ruby Princess Western Caribbean 7-Days 2008
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 7-Days 2007
Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean 7-Days 2006
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 7-Days 2005
Caribbean Princess Caribbean 7-Days 2005
Star Princess Mexico 7-Days 2002
Grand Princess Caribbean 7-Days 2001

Living Life
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ryoung60@columbus.rr.com

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
20,000+ Club

As people who purchase a bottle of wine each evening with dinner....this is sounding almost too good to be true....gosh, we may have to take a cruise to just try it.

It's not April Fool's day, is it.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old February 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
As people who purchase a bottle of wine each evening with dinner....this is sounding almost too good to be true....gosh, we may have to take a cruise to just try it.

It's not April Fool's day, is it.
LOL. We are similar. We enjoy a bottle with dinner and have found some "'ole friends" on the Princess wine list.

We also take advantage of bringing a few bottles as we embark. Some of our fondest memories include sipping wine on our balcony while playing a spirited game of Yahtzee as the miles float by. To that, I thank Princess for not being as restrictive as other lines with respect to our cabin wine.

Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean 7-Days 2012
Disney Magic Caribbean 4-Days 2011
Ruby Princess Mediterranean 12-Days 2010
Celebrity Century Mexico 4-Days 2010
Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera 7-Days 2009
Ruby Princess Western Caribbean 7-Days 2008
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 7-Days 2007
Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean 7-Days 2006
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 7-Days 2005
Caribbean Princess Caribbean 7-Days 2005
Star Princess Mexico 7-Days 2002
Grand Princess Caribbean 7-Days 2001

Living Life
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ryoung60@columbus.rr.com

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi everyone. I was searching for info on whether the wine package was available on the Crown as we are sailing on this ship next month. Glad to have found this thread on the subject. We sailed on the Coral last Nov and bought the 14 bottle Gold pkg and never regretted doing so. The wine list offered many good selections in the $30 -$45 range, one of the best being a Barolo listed at about $43. One limitation we did hear about is that you can only use the card in a restaurant. That didn't bother us but some on board friends did like to have the occasional bottle of champagne in their cabin. They got around this limitation by getting the bottle at the bar in the buffet restaurant and taking it back to their room. Just thought I would add this tidbit.

Previous cruises
1989 - QE2 - Transatlantic crossing
2008 - Viking Neptune - Danube River
2010 - RCI Serenade - Caribbean; QV - Eastern Mediterrean
2011 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2012 - Crown Princess - Caribbean; Grand Princess - Mediterranean
2013 - Star Princess - Hawaii
2014 - Emerald Princess - Caribbean

Future Cruises
2014 - Emerald Princess - Canary Islands/Transatlantic
2015 - Regal Princess - Caribbean/Transatlantic; Queen Mary 2 - Transatlantic

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lupin View Post
Hi everyone. I was searching for info on whether the wine package was available on the Crown as we are sailing on this ship next month. Glad to have found this thread on the subject. We sailed on the Coral last Nov and bought the 14 bottle Gold pkg and never regretted doing so. The wine list offered many good selections in the $30 -$45 range, one of the best being a Barolo listed at about $43. One limitation we did hear about is that you can only use the card in a restaurant. That didn't bother us but some on board friends did like to have the occasional bottle of champagne in their cabin. They got around this limitation by getting the bottle at the bar in the buffet restaurant and taking it back to their room. Just thought I would add this tidbit.
DH and I had a brief conversation with Crown Maitre d' Neville Saldanha at which time we told him how glad we were that Princess has instituted the Wine Bottle Package. We asked him about use of the card onboard, and he said that any transaction using the wine bottle card must be initiated in a dining room. Since diners at HC can enjoy beer/wine with their meals, it would seem that this is considered a "dining venue". One cannot use the card at an onboard bar like Crooner's, Explorer's, or even Vines.

Also, once you've purchased the wine bottle card, the wine is yours to use as you wish. If you don't finish a bottle at dinner but want to have it in your stateroom, waitstaff will arrange to have it delivered. Same with an unopened bottle: Just tell your waiter that you'd like to have one of your bottles sent to your stateroom. The Wine Bottle Package is a grand plan that gives Princess passengers the opportunity to savor different wines and save money.

Cheers!