Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?



 
Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senga Senga is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 637
Default Hello from the Summit....

Having a wonderful trip in spite of the havoc being caused throughout the ship by groups of Spanish speaking passengers. The adults sit at one table in the dining room with the children far enough away to be ignored. This is our first trip in 16 Celebrity cruises (20 total cruises) that we have asked to be moved. The children throw food, play games, run around knocking into tables carrying their burgers and chocolate milk. These same groups arrive in the Celebrity theatre with the children in wet swimsuits, wrapped in towels with no tops on. They let the children run around the Waterfall Cafe shaking the salt and pepper all over the floor. One of them soiled the pool and it had to be closed for two full days. Management is well aware of the situation but other than acknowledging "inappropriate behaviour" is taking place this cruise these horrors continue unabated. Otherwise, all is well!!!!! The Cirque experience is wonderful and we go each night it is on in The Bar at the Edge of the Earth. I wouldn't say you'd be missing anything if you skipped the White Night but the bar experience is not to be missed. We bought two nice masks at home for $12. but made the mistake of lending them to a "nice" elderly Scottish couple and we haven't seen hide nor hair of them or our masks since. Contrary to rumour the bar is open EVERY day for your viewing pleasure. They have really neat cabans, complete with huge comfy pillows, all along the front of the ship. The highlight of the trip has been our tour with Oscar Brown in Costa Rica where we got to hold a tiny baby monkey, toucans, parrots, macaws. We got to pet sloths and we saw caimen, herons, egrets, bats and howler monkeys. We also toured a banana plantation. We ate at El Faro and the meals were wonderful. The total cost for 5 of us was $41. U.S. A fabulous seven hour tour for $45 p.p. In Panama four of us took a taxi ($40 total!) to the Gatun Locks and our timing was perfect. We saw a ship complete the full transit which was very interesting. We really enjoyed Key West, we had forgotten what a pretty place it is. Today we're at the beach in Aruba and planning a beach day in Grand Cayman. Food and service on the Summit are excellent and you'll be happy to know the pool has been retiled and the ship is in perfect shape! Well, back to the sun!

Last edited by Senga; March 28th, 2005 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Host Andy's Avatar
Host Andy Host Andy is offline
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 15,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senga
Food and service on the Summit are excellent and you'll be happy to know the pool has been retiled and the ship is in perfect shape! Well, back to the sun!
Hi Senga !

Glad you are having a great time on Summit. We will be embarking on Summit, as your Cruise comes to an end. I hope that family will be getting off with you as well

Enjoy your Cruise !
__________________
To E-Mail Me : Click On This Link











Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM
uktog's Avatar
uktog uktog is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 7,214
Default

I am also on Andy's trip - do hope they evict the troublemakers aaagh

Who is the Captains Club hostess just now, do you know?
__________________
298 days onboard Celebrity and Azamara 2000-2014 and 56 more days booked, 42 on Azamara and 14 on Celebrity

2014 - Barcelona-Lisbon on 27 May, Quest to Croatia on 5th July, Summit on 21 Sept
2015 - Southampton - Barcelona 25 August and Christmas/NY in OZ
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM
rjack22's Avatar
rjack22 rjack22 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Holland, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,662
Default next sailing

Us too! You will be getting off as we get on! I was really glad to read your post about the Cirque du Soleil experience and glad to know it is open during the day.

I am sure that you have been having a wonderful time!
__________________
Robin
rjack22

Royal Princess, Eastern 2/27/15
Coral Princess, Panama Canal 2/5/10
Caribbean Princess, Eastern 2/4/07
Celebrity Summit, Ultimate Southern 4/1/05
Carnival Jubilee, Western 8/1/01

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senga Senga is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 637
Default

Jennifer Prince is the Captain's Club hostess. I didn't realize they had done away with the Social Hostess position. We had dinner at the Captain's Table and it really made a difference without the hostess - not as organized. Just think of the Cirque experience as an interactive nightclub and you'll have a great time. Yes, the Spanish families with either be leaving with (or before if they get thrown overboard) us so it should be smooth sailing for you folks. I must admit though that there are many Americans on board who forgot to pack their manners for the trip. The way they say "gimme" without a please or thank you is extremely annoying! We have fabulous wait staff and all the rest of the crew/staff are also wonderful. Weather has been fantastic and now we can look forward to a land vacation in Greece in September followed by Hawaii on Summit next March.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Host Andy's Avatar
Host Andy Host Andy is offline
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 15,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senga
Jennifer Prince is the Captain's Club hostess. I didn't realize they had done away with the Social Hostess position. We had dinner at the Captain's Table and it really made a difference without the hostess - not as organized. Just think of the Cirque experience as an interactive nightclub and you'll have a great time. Yes, the Spanish families with either be leaving with (or before if they get thrown overboard) us so it should be smooth sailing for you folks. I must admit though that there are many Americans on board who forgot to pack their manners for the trip. The way they say "gimme" without a please or thank you is extremely annoying! We have fabulous wait staff and all the rest of the crew/staff are also wonderful. Weather has been fantastic and now we can look forward to a land vacation in Greece in September followed by Hawaii on Summit next March.
Hi Senga !

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are having a great time, and that family is getting off the ship ! Enjoy the rest of your cruise !
__________________
To E-Mail Me : Click On This Link











Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
SoCalGal's Avatar
SoCalGal SoCalGal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 263
Thumbs up Summit/Cirque du Soleil

Hi Senga,

So glad to hear that Cirque du Soleil does not interfere with the daytime views from that wonderful lounge. We spent so many wonderful hours last year viewing Hubbard Glacier and Alaskan scenery from the Revelations Lounge. I'm already packing for our Summit cruise to Alaska this May 6th!!!

Thanks for your post!

SoCalGal
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Robeab Robeab is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mass
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senga
Having a wonderful trip in spite of the havoc being caused throughout the ship by groups of Spanish speaking passengers. The adults sit at one table in the dining room with the children far enough away to be ignored. This is our first trip in 16 Celebrity cruises (20 total cruises) that we have asked to be moved. The children throw food, play games, run around knocking into tables carrying their burgers and chocolate milk. These same groups arrive in the Celebrity theatre with the children in wet swimsuits, wrapped in towels with no tops on. They let the children run around the Waterfall Cafe shaking the salt and pepper all over the floor. One of them soiled the pool and it had to be closed for two full days. Management is well aware of the situation but other than acknowledging "inappropriate behaviour" is taking place this cruise these horrors continue unabated. Otherwise, all is well!!!!! The Cirque experience is wonderful and we go each night it is on in The Bar at the Edge of the Earth. I wouldn't say you'd be missing anything if you skipped the White Night but the bar experience is not to be missed. We bought two nice masks at home for $12. but made the mistake of lending them to a "nice" elderly Scottish couple and we haven't seen hide nor hair of them or our masks since. Contrary to rumour the bar is open EVERY day for your viewing pleasure. They have really neat cabans, complete with huge comfy pillows, all along the front of the ship. The highlight of the trip has been our tour with Oscar Brown in Costa Rica where we got to hold a tiny baby monkey, toucans, parrots, macaws. We got to pet sloths and we saw caimen, herons, egrets, bats and howler monkeys. We also toured a banana plantation. We ate at El Faro and the meals were wonderful. The total cost for 5 of us was $41. U.S. A fabulous seven hour tour for $45 p.p. In Panama four of us took a taxi ($40 total!) to the Gatun Locks and our timing was perfect. We saw a ship complete the full transit which was very interesting. We really enjoyed Key West, we had forgotten what a pretty place it is. Today we're at the beach in Aruba and planning a beach day in Grand Cayman. Food and service on the Summit are excellent and you'll be happy to know the pool has been retiled and the ship is in perfect shape! Well, back to the sun!
In Costa Rica how did you find Oscar Brown, was he at the pier and you booked the tour with him?
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:36 PM
divadiverfl's Avatar
divadiverfl divadiverfl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Beautiful Gulf Coast Fl
Posts: 481
Default

Was on the same cruise in 2002 on the same tours. My friends are on there right now. we wanted to go but coudn't go we already had a cruise planned with my mother-in-law for her 80th. They are having a blast.
I love the ship, we have already talked about going again . When we went we went on the train ride in Panama also to the Locks.
we drove in the Caymans, Shopped in Aruba, Stayed on the ship in the Keys(raining and to much security there after 9-11). We are from Florida so we can see it anytime.

Glad you are having a great time. My friends are first sitting. They lucked out somehow this time and received a suite. I have to ask more later about that.
__________________
2-13--------Carnival Ecstasy
3-11--------Celebruty Equinox--S. Caribbean
2-09--------Carnival Freedom---Panama Canal
1-08--------Carnival Sensation--Bahamas
9-06--------Carnival Sensation--Bahamas
2-06--------Princess Coral--Panama
4-05--------Carnival Holiday-Western Caribbean
2-04--------Princess Sun---S. America
7-03--------RCCL Sovereign Of The Sea-Bahamas
2-03--------HAL Noordam----S. America
2-02--------Celebrity Summit-Panama
5-99--------Carnival Imagination-W. Caribbean

11-19-07 GRAND CAYMAN--THANKSGIVING WEEK--SUNSET HOUSE--LIFE IS SHORT--DIVE MORE






Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:09 PM
ebtmsw ebtmsw is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 48
Default oscar brown?

Senga- I am not sure if you went with the same oscar brown we did - wow what a disappointment-it was the most poorly organized tour of our entire cruise! We were promised things by carol brown- specific questions asked that did not follow through-our van was not airconditioned and it was a miserably uncomfortable drive to almonds and coral to zipline.(1 1/2 hours) Ziplining was fabulous and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested- they were very professional at almonds and coral- Oscar, however, was checked out mentally on holiday-what was particularrly annoying is they would never give you a straight answer. How long- down the road a bit
where are we going to next? over here we have something special.
seemed to me no one knew what the other was doing- very frustrating! his wife came to the rescue at the end of the day and took us to the canals which were beautiful- If I were to do it again, I would do the canal with oscars company(preferrably Carol) and almonds and coral independently.
By the way, I would have to agree about a few of the families- there was also a french familywho were unbelievably rude and oblivious to those around them
The summit youth staff- wow , really exceptional- my two loved the fun factory.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
patnjohn's Avatar
patnjohn patnjohn is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,718
Default

We did the tour with Oscar Brown. Booked it on the internet. He met us at the pier as planned. It was fabulous. He was very much a gentleman & very helpful. The whole day was fabulous. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
i-m-ed's Avatar
i-m-ed i-m-ed is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Default

I wondered if anyone else experienced these guys, and I too can confirm the group of families from Mexico City far exceeded annoying and bordered dangerous. Some of my experiences with them are as follows, (3/21/05 Summit Cruise)

- Left a present in one of the pools causing it to be closed for two days.

- An ~ 6 y/o was readying to throw a beer bottle in the pool when I intervened.

- According to a crewmember members of the family "broke" one of the glass elevators, I don't know the details though.

- When the second pool was opened I took my children into it to escape these a$$e$, the security gaurd told me that if I wasn't in the pool with my children they would have to go to the other pool, both of my children are proficient swimmers and have been taking swim lessons weekly since age 4 and I was sitting at the edge of the pool with my feet in the water. Anyway I moved over to the insane pool where the group of families were terrorizing each other. Within ten minutes an older, approx 17, male began throwing an approx 9 y/o male into the pool, same security gaurd that ejected us from the other pool watching and not saying a thing, by the third throw the kid almost hit my daughter, again I intervened, however it was too late for the kid being thown into the pool, he was clutching his neck gasping for air, at this point the sec gaurd was laughing and talking on her phone / walkie talkie. My wife had to yell to get her over to the pool to check on this child. When all was said and done the offender was still in the pool and the child left the pool area clutching his neck and crying. At that point we left the pool and decided not to return for the remainder of the cruise.

- On the sea day prior to Grand Caymen two members of the same group of families threw stink bombs into the teen disco at the tower during a teen dance. A crewmember said an unsuccessfull attempt to remove the family from the ship was made on Grand Caymen. The whole thing made me wonder just what it would take to get thrown off of the ship.

- On the last night of the cruise the kids were swimming in the Thalassotherapy Pool while security stood and watched.

They did not ruin my cruise but they certainly put a cramp in my swimming fun. FWIW, they were mainly in the pool area from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, my favorite, shady time, to swim.

Needless to say I wrote a really nasty note about this group on my survey card. I have also offered up video and images of some of the antics of these guys to Celebrity, but for some reason I'm sure they are very well aware of how poorly these people acted on the cruise.

Last edited by i-m-ed; April 2nd, 2005 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
i-m-ed's Avatar
i-m-ed i-m-ed is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtmsw
The summit youth staff- wow , really exceptional- my two loved the fun factory.
100% agreed they were awesome my kids had the best time with them. My daughter actually spent time filling out the survey card for the youth program, including an additional page detailing how much fun she had at the fun factory!!

Also, the kids video is hoot and is far better than the "official" Cruise in Review offering. I'm actually converting it to DVD format as I type this.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Bisous3 Bisous3 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lighthouse Point Florida
Posts: 582
Default

I agree those kids were pretty rowdy...I had NO IDEA that the pool was closed because of THAT!! Eeeww!! They were extremely annoying at the last bingo too....
I wonder why their "attempt" to get them off the ship was unsuccessful?
Suzanne
__________________
Suzanne
Oceanic '82, Oceanic '83, Century '01, Century '03, Millennium '03, Island Princess '04,Century 8/'04,Millennium '04, Century 12/'04, Summit '05,Caribbean Princess '05, Zenith '06, Constellation '06, NCL Pearl '07, Grand Princess '11, Ruby Princess '12,Royal Princess '13, Silhouette '14
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
i-m-ed's Avatar
i-m-ed i-m-ed is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Default

My understanding is that it was a family reunion consisting of around 40 people, all from Mexico City. All of the crewmembers I spoke with were aware of them and all seemed quite unhappy with them. I wonder how bad there waiter and assistant waiter got stiffed this cruise, especially if they were responsible for all 40 of them.

This was our fourth cruise and I have never seen anything like what I saw on this one. After watching these clowns for the last 11 days I'm convinced that it would be next to impossible to be thrown off of a Celebrity ship.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
ebtmsw ebtmsw is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 48
Default unbelievable!

ed-wow- I guess I am glad I had the early seating for dinner and missed this family the whole cruise! Happy to say there were also a lot of really nice families and nice polite kids on board too!

We stayed in the family suite and we loved it! what a great veranda and awesome view off the aft. I am glad to be home, but I wish I was still cruising- my kids talked a lot today about the counselors and how they miss them! If you remember, my 7 yr old was the one who "wasnt going to any stupid daycare"- I couldnt get her out of the fun factory!
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:36 PM
brigittetom's Avatar
brigittetom brigittetom is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-m-ed

After watching these clowns for the last 11 days I'm convinced that it would be next to impossible to be thrown off of a Celebrity ship.
I'm guessing there would be hell to pay if they disembarked any part of this lovely group.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:53 PM
i-m-ed's Avatar
i-m-ed i-m-ed is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtmsw
ed-wow- I guess I am glad I had the early seating for dinner and missed this family the whole cruise! Happy to say there were also a lot of really nice families and nice polite kids on board too!

We stayed in the family suite and we loved it! what a great veranda and awesome view off the aft. I am glad to be home, but I wish I was still cruising- my kids talked a lot today about the counselors and how they miss them! If you remember, my 7 yr old was the one who "wasnt going to any stupid daycare"- I couldnt get her out of the fun factory!
We too had early seating but on days when I didn't like the menu I would take the kiddies to the pool instead. Feel fortunate that you never crossed paths with these guys as I'm sure you would remember them. Every crewmember I spoke with knew who they were and were unhappy with them. One of the Fun Factory staff told me about the stink bomb at the teen disco incident.

As for the Fun Factory, they were excellent!! I had to drag my 6 y/o out daily, we would be on the beach and he'd ask if the Fun Factory was open yet.

I too am glad to be home and in clean clothes but am already starting to think about the next vacation.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
kitty9 kitty9 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moon Township, Pa
Posts: 21,895
Default

I was on this cruise also, and I can tell you it was a real pain in the behind. I found one little boy (maybe 4 or 5) wandering the hall on deck 6 at just before midnight wearing nothing but a swimsuit---no parent in sight. He was just running the halls and yelling. They had to announce in the casino on more than a couple of nights that children aren't allowed in the casino because they would bring the young ones and have them sit on their laps while they played machines. And it wasn't just the final bingo where the kids were out of control. Every day the group of young ones and about 6 teens tried to buy bingo cards, even though they were all under 18. Marc Brown, one of the guys who sells the cards, refused to sell them to the kids. The oldest boy, who was 16, started with the most foul language, in English, (interesting how they can speak swear words in English, but no other words) demanding that Marc sell him the cards. I mean, this kid used the "F" word and and every other swear word you can imagine. Marc said that you had to be 18 or have a parent buy the cards and since the kid had the minor card, it proved he wasn't of age. You would not believe how out of control the kids got after that and they really gave Marc a lot of trouble. The next day, the kid again tried to buy cards and Marc got really smart---he checked the records and found out that the kid really was only 16 even though he insisted he was 18. Their behavior got to be a real problem all over the ship. But heck, we still had a great cruise.
__________________
Darcie

Last edited by kitty9; April 3rd, 2005 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:16 AM
i-m-ed's Avatar
i-m-ed i-m-ed is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Default

The parents of these kids were rarely in sight and when they were they were too busy BS'ing or doing something else to watch their children. They certainly didn't ruin my cruise either but I'd be willing to bet they did ruin at least one persons cruise. Imagine having a cabin next door to or worse yet, in between them.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Ad Sponsored By


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Check Cruise Prices
Cruise Line:
Destination:
Month:
Compare deals from top travel sites
Loading vendors ... please wait.
No vendors are available. Try selecting options