Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old February 8th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Taxi from Amsterdam Airport to Grand Circle Boat

We are taking a GC river cruise in March and will probably take a taxi from the Amsterdam airport to the GC boat dock. How much will a taxi cost for 2 persons? Thank you.
Jane

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:47 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico

Make sure you know the exact place where the ship will be docked as there are a few options.
A cab from the airport to the area around Centraal station will be E. 50.- more or less.

1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam", after that various cruises to different destinations on H.A.L, Celebrity and Orient Lines.

1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you!

Old February 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Depending on the amount of luggage you have and your budget, you may want to take the train direct from Schiphol to Centraal. The train station is underneath the shopping plaza - there is frequent service and the price is significantly less than a taxi.

One more option for you to consider.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old February 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. We considered the train since it is so much cheaper---but we are 75 yo and will each have a medium-sized suitcase---so we probably need to take a taxi.

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
20,000+ Club

Question

I thought GCC was all inclusive ?
do they not provide transfers to the dock?
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Old February 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My best recollection is that GCT provides the meet and transport service only to those using GCT's flight arrangements.

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Trips View Post
My best recollection is that GCT provides the meet and transport service only to those using GCT's flight arrangements.
That is true; only if you use their air.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old February 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Before you take a taxi or train check with the Grand Circle person in the airport that is coordinating those with transfers. It is quite possible that they will take you on their bus only costing you a nice tip.

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN31VA View Post
Before you take a taxi or train check with the Grand Circle person in the airport that is coordinating those with transfers. It is quite possible that they will take you on their bus only costing you a nice tip.
Ken31VA, you are absolutely right...good advice. We did just that two years ago with Scenic Cruise at the Amsterdam Airport and got a free bus transfer to the ship. When you exit, after customs and immigration, into the meeting passengers area, just look for GC sign, and if they are there to pick up other passengers, ask if you can join them to go to the ship. If they have the space in the van or the bus, they will take you. Good luck!

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

I recently received an email from GC saying that transfers would be provided to the ship for $100 per person per transfer.
So I don't think free transfers are likely to be available at the airport....

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane361 View Post
I recently received an email from GC saying that transfers would be provided to the ship for $100 per person per transfer.
So I don't think free transfers are likely to be available at the airport....
But then I think GC's charge of $100 per person is to pay for a local agent to drive out to the airport to meet you even if you are travelling alone and for arrival anytime of the day or night. They would have to stay there waiting for you even if your plane is late. But, if they are there already meeting some other paid passengers, they may accommodate you as well, and like Ken31VA suggested, maybe a good tip would do the trick...also they know exactly where is the ship is! In our case, we consider that as a very impressive PR touch for the Scenic Cruise.

No harm giving it a try if you see their sign. If they are there, you will see them before the taxis stand anyway!

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll give it a try--nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would you recommend a grand circle riverboat cruise? Looking into our first riverboat cruise. Thanks!

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Appreciate the information

Appreciate the information.

Will certainly look for a more consumer frendly river cruise operator. Luckly we have not used your cruise line operator yet.

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphappy View Post
Would you recommend a grand circle riverboat cruise? Looking into our first riverboat cruise. Thanks!
Yes, we have just returned and had a wonderful time. This was our second GCT river cruise. Do you have any specific questions?

BTW, There were no GCT reps at the Amsterdam airport so we took a taxi to the boat for 65 Euros.

Old December 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane361 View Post
We are taking a GC river cruise in March and will probably take a taxi from the Amsterdam airport to the GC boat dock. How much will a taxi cost for 2 persons? Thank you.
Jane

We too would like this information but our trip ends in Amsterdam on August 7, the MS River Adagio.

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yikes! Those taxi rates are steep. We recently returned from an AMA river cruise, and upon arrival at Schiphol, we purchased two one-way train tickets to take us to Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Converting EU's to US$, the prices was less than $10 for the two of us. From the station, we walked to the waterfront, handed off our luggage to the crew and boarded the AMACello.

On prior trips to Amsterdam, we used the train to and from the airport.

When we got to Basel, we shared a cab [AMA will arrange cabs] with another couple - total price was 37 EU's for the 4 of us to the main train station.

Darcy

Old December 12th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we took the GCT tulips tour last year, we checked on transfers w/GCT, and they told us that if we arrived at their usual pick-up time window, they would provide the transfers at no charge (same for return flights), on a space available basis. This worked out fine w/us, as the buses they use are quite large. I would call them and verify if this policy is still followed.

Old December 12th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default GCT airport transfers

I have taken 6 GCT river cruises in Europe. On each of them I used GCT air arrangements from LAX to arrival cities of Amsterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich. Transfers from airport to ship were always included and that was much easier than trying to find taxi or train arrangements. The GCT representative was always there to meet the plane and collect the luggage after we got out of customs.

I found that GCT always gave me the best, most direct routing from Los Angeles to Europe and usually would use the airlines that I requested. I was always happy with their arrangements.