Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash vball View Post
Now that's a comprehensive list!

We opted not to get any of the packages since we don't do sodas and won't be drinking enough alcohol to make it worthwhile.

It would be helpful if you posted the drinks that are complimentary? Regular water, ice tea?

I also have a teenager who will need his milk - any chance that is free?

Thanks for all your work putting that post together!
Just an fyi on the milk. I usually have milk with lunch. On several cruises I've had to ask someone to get it from the cooler. After a couple days, they would see me and just go get it. On the Eclipse in December they had large urns with milk by the coffee/tea dispensers. Only problem was it was lukewarm. I tried more than one and same issue. I did ask and was given cold milk from the cooler and they removed the warm milk in a flash.
Royal Carribbean, Navigator of the Seas, Dec. 2007
Celebrity Constellation, Feb. 2008
Celebrity Solstice, Feb. 2009
Celebrity Mercury, Oct. 2009
Celebrity Century, Nov. 2010
Celebrity Equinox, Feb. 2011
Celebrity Eclipse, Dec. 2011
Celebrity Millenium, June 2012
Celebrity Eclipse, Feb. 2013
Celebrity Eclipse, Sept. 2014

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

We congratulate and thank you, Sara, for your outstanding work. We are glad to see this terrific update to the similar effort that we made in mid-2010. Our information and beverage lists were so popular then that CruiseCruitic made our thread into a "Sticky" that still gets many views and has over 1,000 posts (including some new ones every week).

Our old thread contains much of the same information as yours -- some in its post #1, and some substantial data that was added in subsequent posts in 2010. [We even see that you have used copy-and-paste for a bit of what we listed, and we are not at all offended by this.] But our old thread lacks the full-wine-bottle prices and information about the new wine packages that you have kindly provided.

We now consider our thread to be partially obsolete (due to 2010 prices, etc.) and difficult for people to deal with (because it is so long).
THEREFORE ...
We make the following recommendation/request/plea to the "powers that be" at CruiseCritic (administrators/hosts/etc.) who control things here at the forum ...

(1) Please REMOVE the "sticky" status from our old thread
(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495) ... AND ...

(2) Please PROMOTE this new thread by "sarafinadh" to "sticky" status (at least for calendar year 2012).

Now, having taken care of that important matter, Sara, we have a comment and a question for you, evoked by the following information that you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
Classic package $44 per day unlimited ... all Alcoholic beverages up to $8.
*Note if you order an alcoholic beverage over the $5 or $8 price then you are charged the ENTIRE cost of your drink. NOT just the difference. ... It is often possible to order cocktails that are over the $8 price limit and request a “small” and have it count under your Classic package."
QUESTION: Can you (or anyone else here) give examples of [over-$8] cocktails that can be obtained in "small" versions by folks with Classic Packages?

COMMENT: We are very happy to read about these, but we are also very surprised that "X" would offer "small" cocktails. Why? Because someone with a Classic Package could drink two or more of them, consecutively, without incurring any extra charge -- thereby having consumed more than what is contained in one full-size drink ... and having caused a bartender to perform twice the labor. If that's what "X" wants to do, however, we will certainly not complain!

Again, thanks for this excellent new thread.

Last edited by jg51; February 14th, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

DH and I are planning our first Celebrity cruise and I mentioned the beverage packages and we are trying to puzzle them out. I shall copy, paste and print your post and be able to make sense of it.

Thanks again!!

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Another new beverage-related offer from Celebrity -- something that was not mentioned in our 2010 thread and is not yet mentioned in your new thread, Sara -- is the "Wine and Dine" packages that are available for people who want to dine in specialty restaurants.

To see an official advertisement of these packages from a December, 2011, Silhouette cruise, please look at page 3 of the PDF that was kindly created and linked for us by CruiseCritic member "FM." Here is a link to the PDF:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attac...3&d=1326825118

At the bottom of page 3, there are lists of red and white wines, three or five bottles of which can be chosen when purchasing any of the three Wine and Dine packages. These packages (which are for multiple dinners for couples) result in significant to major saving$. [We have not checked to determine whether or not any of the wines in these packages is missing from your "master list" in the opening post.]

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

One last item, for someone who may have a bit of an obsession with details and comparative analysis of prices ...

Here are links to the posts, in our 2010 thread, in which one can see lists of beverages and their old prices (which could now be compared to prices in Sara's list at the top of this new thread):

Original post, from July, 2010:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...46&postcount=1
Five additional posts from August to October, 2010, in which further information was added:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=160
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=161
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=184
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=189
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=321

Old February 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Sara for your terrific work.

I will miss the Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc, but I shall find another favorite

Old February 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderellen View Post
Just an fyi on the milk. I usually have milk with lunch. On several cruises I've had to ask someone to get it from the cooler. After a couple days, they would see me and just go get it. On the Eclipse in December they had large urns with milk by the coffee/tea dispensers. Only problem was it was lukewarm. I tried more than one and same issue. I did ask and was given cold milk from the cooler and they removed the warm milk in a flash.
Thanks for the hint on the cold milk - DS loves his cold chocolate milk!

Dennbr9 & bestmom1 - you've made my day with the free list! Decided we couldn't drink our way through a package with two full days at port and tea, water and juice will do just fine...with our coveted bottles of carried on wine, of course

Thanks for all your help!

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg51 View Post
QUESTION: Can you (or anyone else here) give examples of [over-$8] cocktails that can be obtained in "small" versions by folks with Classic Packages?

COMMENT: We are very happy to read about these, but we are also very surprised that "X" would offer "small" cocktails. Why? Because someone with a Classic Package could drink two or more of them, consecutively, without incurring any extra charge -- thereby having consumed more than what is contained in one full-size drink ... and having caused a bartender to perform twice the labor. If that's what "X" wants to do, however, we will certainly not complain!

Again, thanks for this excellent new thread.
Thanks for the kind words. As I noted early on, the data comes from a lot of people, including you and your benchmark thread on the subject. Much of it was posted here on CC or in photo galleries. All I did was try to compile it and put it into some sort of order in one place. I DO get credit for turning the new Michael's menu into text ; -)

As for the *small cocktails* staying in the Classic Package price point, it is from anecdotal evidence, personal reports and reviews, and advice given from cruisers here at the forum. In a similar vein, paying the difference for the additional cost of drinks that are more than the Premium package is common practice, but not X policy. I have read reports of people being charged the full price of anything over the $12 cut off. I don't get the impression that this has happened often, and it may not have been a recent event.

The *small cocktails* seem to be in the same realm of *usually is but not always* and I would certainly say that my take on it is that while the *pay the difference* practice is very wide spread and common, the small drink deal is less so.

...ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, 7/13/12
Mexico, Carnival Inspiration, 1/20/14
Crossing, Cunard QM2, 8/27/14

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the clarification, Sara.

We hope that the CruiseCritic officials will not overlook what we wrote at 11:57 AM yesterday (about flipflopping our and your threads in "sticky" status). Otherwise, we may have to try to figure out how to communicate with them privately to urge them to make the move. This thread of yours must NOT be allowed to fade away into the dustbin of time.

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
As for the *small cocktails* staying in the Classic Package price point, it is from anecdotal evidence, personal reports and reviews, and advice given from cruisers here at the forum. In a similar vein, paying the difference for the additional cost of drinks that are more than the Premium package is common practice, but not X policy. I have read reports of people being charged the full price of anything over the $12 cut off. I don't get the impression that this has happened often, and it may not have been a recent event.

The *small cocktails* seem to be in the same realm of *usually is but not always* and I would certainly say that my take on it is that while the *pay the difference* practice is very wide spread and common, the small drink deal is less so.
I certainly appreciate the effort put into compiling this information!

As someone looking at these packages myself for an upcoming cruise, the question that arises, and it would be directed not to you but to X, would be: if I still have to worry about whether something is over or under a certain price, or whether I can pay the difference or must be charged full price, or be served a "small" --- what kind of all-included, no worries beverage package is that? Especially considering the premium per-diem, so-to-speak.

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenstormy View Post
I certainly appreciate the effort put into compiling this information!

As someone looking at these packages myself for an upcoming cruise, the question that arises, and it would be directed not to you but to X, would be: if I still have to worry about whether something is over or under a certain price, or whether I can pay the difference or must be charged full price, or be served a "small" --- what kind of all-included, no worries beverage package is that? Especially considering the premium per-diem, so-to-speak.
TO DARKENSTORMY,

The issue that you raise, is more of a concern for those who opt for the Classic Package vs the Premium.

As straight-forward as can be stated, Classic covers glasses or pours up to $ 8... Premium covers glasses or pours up to $ 12.

Expect, that if something is BEYOND those price points that you are in "no man's land"... and Celebrity will set / apply THE RULES / Pricing as they see fit.

So anotherwords, "no guarantees" that the Martini you see listed at the Martini Bar for $ 10 is going to be made available to you on the Classic Package in way shape or form at $ 8 (or less).

A kind and generous inclusion, if your Bartender chooses to make you a "small"

Likewise, "no guarantees" that the glass of REAL Champagne that you see listed at Murano's for $ 15 is going to be made available to you on the Premium Package for just $ 3 extra (vs the whole $ 15)

BUT as with all things in life, having the right "attitude" and asking can't hurt.

In our case we had the Premium Package, and when in Murano's for a special dinner, we asked about the champagne "Do you know if this is covered by the package?" (lol, of course we already knew the answer... it is over $ 12... therefore it isn't covered).... to which the Sommelier, appropriately replied "No unfortunately it isn't at $ 15, but you will only pay the difference" (thereby volunteering the info that we needed). If he had said a flat out NO... I would have assumed, then that I would be paying the whole $ 15 to enjoy such an offering from the wine menu.

And so it goes.

To be fair, Celebrity doesn't market these as "All Inclusive Packages"... so to use that term is incorrect (although certainly being on "the Program" one does give one the "feeling" that you are having a more all-inclusive / one-price experience). And something can certainly be said for the convenience of not having to sign chit after chit (that alone for some folks is reason enough to sign up whether their "math" adds up to the $ 44 or $ 54 per diem or not)

In truth though... if you look at the LONG LONG LISTS of varying items that Celebrity sells aboard (alcohol or other) ... there are many choices at a wide span of price points (or as I say, often in regards to how Celebrity markets themselves "something for everyone").

The Beverage Packages are just another sample, of how Celebrity "groups" some items together as a money saver, that reflects an "average" price point for most folks... they are not All-Inclusive.

Celebrity does the same thing with... Shore Excursion Packages (3 Islands Sightseeing Tours) - Photos (Family Packages) - Specialty Restaurant Meals (Discounts for buying 3 or more) - Wine Packages (such as Taste of the Vineyards) etc.

Hope this info is helpful,

Cheers!

First Ocean Cruise...
Celebrity Solstice - Concierge Class (C2 - Midship) Oversized Balcony
* Amazing Ship, Wonderful Service... we are sold *

"Honey, We're Over the Moon Cruise"

Celebrity Summit - Concierge Class (C1 - Aft) Oversized Sunset Balcony
* Something about The Summit... we fell in love *

Cruises in the works...
* Celebrity - Caribbean - Winter 2014
* Celebrity - Mediterranean - Late Summer 2014

Last edited by Sloop-JohnB; February 15th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Old February 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop-JohnB View Post
Hope this info is helpful,

Cheers!
Did you think I didn't understand how these packages work?

I was offering my opinion as to their value, for me. YMMV.

Old February 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenstormy View Post
Did you think I didn't understand how these packages work?

I was offering my opinion as to their value, for me. YMMV.
TO DARKENSTORMY,

I "got" that you were posing a Question (statement) to Celebrity... the gist of which was... "How is this All-Inclusive ?"

It isn't.

It never has been presented that way...

It is a "term" that has been adopted / adapted by those on the Ships who use / enroll in the packages, and those who post about these packages here on CC.

It does indeed "feel" all-inclusive... it just isn't.

I was making that clarification for you.

Cheers!

First Ocean Cruise...
Celebrity Solstice - Concierge Class (C2 - Midship) Oversized Balcony
* Amazing Ship, Wonderful Service... we are sold *

"Honey, We're Over the Moon Cruise"

Celebrity Summit - Concierge Class (C1 - Aft) Oversized Sunset Balcony
* Something about The Summit... we fell in love *

Cruises in the works...
* Celebrity - Caribbean - Winter 2014
* Celebrity - Mediterranean - Late Summer 2014

Last edited by Sloop-JohnB; February 15th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Old February 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg51 View Post
Another new beverage-related offer from Celebrity -- something that was not mentioned in our 2010 thread and is not yet mentioned in your new thread, Sara -- is the "Wine and Dine" packages that are available for people who want to dine in specialty restaurants.

To see an official advertisement of these packages from a December, 2011, Silhouette cruise, please look at page 3 of the PDF that was kindly created and linked for us by CruiseCritic member "FM." Here is a link to the PDF:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attac...3&d=1326825118
And I have a link to the same information from our Solstice December 2011 cruise in my signature (INFORMATION PACKET), which is slightly different than the one posted for Silhouette. Hope that is helpful!

Grandeur of the Seas - June 2005
Liberty of the Seas - December 2008 -
PHOTO ALBUM
Explorer of the Seas - June 2010 - VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Serenade of the Seas - December 2010 - PHOTO REVIEW VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Celebrity Solstice - December 2011 - PHOTO REVIEW INFO PACKET CELEBRITY TODAYS PHOTO ALBUM
Radiance of the Seas - June 2013 -
PHOTO ALBUM ALASKA CRUISE BLOG - SUMMER SOLSTICE IN THE LAST FRONTIER CRUISE COMPASSES
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise - January 2014 - PHOTO ALBUM

Last edited by subtchr; February 15th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dear CruiseCritic hosts:

Please read post #1, and then read what we wrote in post #22, above.

Thank you.

Last edited by jg51; February 16th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

This was very helpful - all the information that everyone supplied! We're doing our first Celebrity in June, so this will help us make an education decision!
Carnival Legend 8/2008 (Caribbean)
RCC Monarch of the Seas 8/2009 (Caribbean)
Uniworld River Tosca 6/2010 (Egypt)
Celebrity Millennium 6/2012 (Alaska)

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

This was very helpful. Thank you Sarah! We had decided to go with the Classic Package (and purchased one of the two we plan to buy during the sale on packages in January). But looking at the wines by the glass now, I'm realizing that we may wish to upgrade to Premium as many of the wines that we might prefer are in the $8.50 range....and I don't want to have to pay for them twice.

Will probably wait until we are onboard to decide and upgrade. But this info helps a great deal.

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you to all of you who gathered together so much comprehensive information about drink packages and prices -- the big listing; the spreadsheet which has additional information; the quick summary. Looking forward to the Equinox in early April and this is definitely going to help in planning.

Um, someone mentioned Elite Cocktail hours -- is this for multi-cruisers on Celebrity?

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

My friend got the soda package on our recent cruise, $49. She loves diet Coke and hates Coke Zero. Everywhere she went they brought her cans. I don't drink enough to make it worth the price. My friend probably drank more than usual just to get her money's worth, lol.

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am not much of an alcohol drinker, so I am considering the non-alc packages. I am intrigued by the frozen drinks. Could someone explain what this is on Celebrity? Can I get a virgin Pina Colada for example? Or do they just mean a frozen juice?
Thanks,
Linda