Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wheelchair Accessable Rooms

I have cruised on NCL twice and use a WC fulltime and I am looking for my next cruise (FEB 2010)
I am looking at differnent lines to find the cruise I want and I am looking for any comments good or bad on say RCCL,Celebrity & Princess.

Room Size, Bathrooms,Balcony access??

Thanks

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
20,000+ Club

Our experience has been mainly with Princess whose cabins are about 50% larger that a standard cabin. We are about 3 weeks off Celebrity's Constellation where we found our "2B" cabin not quite a large as Princess but very adequate, extremely well fitted out, however the shower while roll-in was just a tad on the small size. HAL's "VD" on the Oosterdam over Christmas was a joke, you could not get a 20" chair around the foot of the bed and the scars on the wall proved it.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default RCCL Explorer

I am A full time WC user and have been on the Explorer and the balcony HC room was great, bathroom worked and the balcony was great no lips or ramps

Song of Norway - Southern Carribean - Feb 17 1991
Dawn - Eastern Carribean -March 16 2006
NCL GEM Feb 2008
Explorer of the Seas April 2010
NCL GEM Feb 2013
NCL GEM Feb 2015

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

The accessible cabins on Celebrity's newest ships (S-Class) are very well designed. Push-button doors, bedside light controls, extra outlet by bed to plug in scooter/chair, ramp to balcony, and more. We couldn't recommend those ships more.
Pictures from Infinity Alaska June 19, 2009
Century July 16, 2008 Roll Call Website
Quest Maiden Voyage October 24, 2007 Roll Call Website and pictures

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRBlizz View Post
The accessible cabins on Celebrity's newest ships (S-Class) are very well designed. Push-button doors, bedside light controls, extra outlet by bed to plug in scooter/chair, ramp to balcony, and more. We couldn't recommend those ships more.
I totally agree. I cannot believe how wonderful the S Class ships of Celebrity are for us in wheelchairs and scooters. The public bathrooms are incredible. You can access every outside space because their doorways are all automatic with no bump doorways. Their HC cabins are great and well appointed.;

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

DH is a fulltime electric wheelchair user and we went on our first cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas in 2010. We had an accessible Junior Suite as we needed to sleep 3 and it was brilliant. Our daughter slept on the sofabed and the cabin was large enough to leave the sofa bed pulled out all the time and still leave room for DH to move around. The bathroom was also fine. Balcony wasnt accessible though as it had a step.

The ship itself was also fantastic, really wasnt anywhere he couldnt access and the staff were brilliant especially in the MDR. We are booked on Radiance in November and it was a tough decision whether to stick with Rhapsody or try a different ship - fingers crossed Radiance is just as lovely

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
5,000+ Club

My mom is a full-time manual wheechair user - unable to walk at all. Her favorite ships are RC's Radiance class (Brilliance, Serenade, Jewel, Radiance). If she & my dad are together, they book an outside on deck 4. If she & I are together (I'm a balcony snob ), we get a balcony on deck 7. Both the outside and balcony cabins are spacious enough for full cabin access (no dead zones where the WC can't get). There isn't a lip (bump) to get onto the balcony so my mom is able to get to the balcony and back into the cabin without assistance.

The bathroom has a roll-in shower with a seat, grab bars in the shower and around the toilet, raised toilet seat, and space for a WC to access the sink area. The bathroom storage is a little lacking. To allow WC users to get to the sink, they don't have cabinets under the sink so no storage there. The shower drainage can be a problem sometimes, particularly if the ship is rocking. We've had problems with water running past the drain and under the bathroom door into the cabin. A towel placed at the base of the door solves the problem.

The Radiance ships have an automatic door opener for the HC cabins to make it easier for WC users to get in and out. That makes it easy for Mom to get in/out when someone isn't around to hold the door for her. Occasionally the door opener doesn't work (always had it stick open not closed) but maintenance was able to fix it in a couple minutes. Just to be safe, I always watch for the door to fully close before leaving the cabin area.

Almost all the doors leading from the interior to the exterior decks on Radiance ships have automatic doors. The only exception that I can remember is on deck 12 leading to the Sea View Cafe. That was a manual door.

ADDED FOR MATTANDKELLY: My mom has been on both Radiance & Rhapsody. Rhapsody was her very first cruise which she really enjoyed. I think you will find Radiance even easier for wheelchair users than Rhapsody.

COMPLETED
Silversea Silver Explorer - Feb '14 - 10 nt. Antarctica (Ushuaia to the Antarctic Peninsula)
=X= Xpedition - Apr, '13 - 13 nt. Galapagos "B"/Machu Picchu (Quito, Baltra, Santiago, Rabida, Bartolome, N. Seymour, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Lima)
=X= Silhouette - Sep '12 - 12 nt. Holy Land (Rome, Santorini, Nazareth, Jerusalem, Alexandria/Cairo, Naples)
RC Adventure - Feb '12 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados)
RC Liberty - Dec '11 - 4 nt. Bahamas (Fort Lauderdale, Coco Cay, Nassau)
HAL Zuiderdam - Apr '11 - 10 nt. Partial Panama Canal (Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Aruba, Curacao, Panama Canal, Costa Rica)
RC Serenade - Jan '10 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada)
HAL Maasdam - Apr '09 - 14 nt. Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, Tortola, Half Moon Cay)
RC Legend - May '08 - 13 nt. Italy/Croatia (Rome, Portofino, Florence/Pisa, Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples)
RC Sovereign - Jan '08 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Coco Cay cancelled)
=X= Xpedition - Sept '07 - 10 nt. Galapagos (Baltra, N. Seymour, San Cristobal, Espanola, Santa Cruz, Bartolome, Floreana, Isabela, Fernandina, & Quito, Ecuador)
RC Rhapsody - Jan '07 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean (Galveston, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
RC Radiance - Sept '06 - 7 nt. NB Alaska (Vancouver, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait, Seward)
RC Brilliance - Oct '05 - 12 nt. Med Greek Isles (Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Naples, Mykonos, Athens, Ephasus, Santorini, Rome)
RC Majesty - Jan '05 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau)
RC Rhapsody - Oct '04 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean
RC Monarch - Jun '00 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean

Last edited by kyriecat; February 15th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandkelly View Post
DH is a fulltime electric wheelchair user and we went on our first cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas in 2010. We had an accessible Junior Suite as we needed to sleep 3 and it was brilliant. Our daughter slept on the sofabed and the cabin was large enough to leave the sofa bed pulled out all the time and still leave room for DH to move around. The bathroom was also fine. Balcony wasnt accessible though as it had a step.

The ship itself was also fantastic, really wasnt anywhere he couldnt access and the staff were brilliant especially in the MDR. We are booked on Radiance in November and it was a tough decision whether to stick with Rhapsody or try a different ship - fingers crossed Radiance is just as lovely
This is my problem with most cruise lines. If an able bodied family of 3 wants to book a regular cabin, no problem. If someone in a wheelchair wants to book a cabin for 3, in most cases they have to bump up to a Junior Suite. This is so wrong. Aren't people in wheelchairs supposed to travel with more than one person?
OK...rant over.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sapphire Princess has some balcony cabins which sleep three. Not many, but there are a few. You have to book early to get them, but what's new about that?

M.

To email me, click here.

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:00 AM
20,000+ Club

Princess has a number of ships including the Sapphire and the Diamond that have cabins where 2 bunks that drop from the ceiling and sleep 4 persons.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Don't discount inside accessible cabins. We have had these on the Sapphire Princess which sleep 3 (with a sofa bed) and a bunk bed. Large cabins which were very comfortable for 3. Also the same on the Grand Princess and Star Princess.

Also, if you pick the right cabin, HAL has accommodated us for 3 with a roll-in in their very lowest deck forward accessible cabins on some ships. On Celebrity and RCCL we have had both sofa beds and bunk options for 3.

We always opt for the cheapest accessible cabin we can get that will accommodate us. We spend very little time in the cabin except for sleeping, dressing, and bathing.

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day

Last edited by Splinter; February 20th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

we has an accessible cabin inside on oasis of the seas and it was wonderful for 2 adults and one 16 yr old. we had a scooter and a regular wheelchair in the room and still had plenty of movability. There was an extra outlet to plug the scooter in to. Also the teen had a pull out sleep chair- not a sofa but it was plenty big enough for him and he said it was more comfortable than a pull down bed. You are right that they dont have many for 3 but if you look early or check everyday you can find one. We booked an inside for 3 on explorer of the seas in august for a mid november cruise. Keep checking because someone may cancel due to a medical problem and you can get one. I also heard they sometimes keep lists in case of cancellations. We had to cancel the explorer one due to medical emergency so i hope someone else got it. good luck
11/15/2012 thanksgiving on explorer of the seas
01/03/2014 Granduer of the seas
01/31/2014 granduer of the seas

Old February 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRBlizz View Post
My first cruise was a few weeks ago on the Eclipse. I was blown away by the space and layout of our Oceanview veranda stateroom. I've stayed in accessible hotel rooms that were smaller and more cramped than our stateroom.

Here's a few snaps of our room. In hindsight I should have taken more detailed photos. Next time.

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wheel Chair response

My mother uses a scooter on all of our cruises. She and my sister usually get a handicapped cabin which is plenty big enough for both scooter and wc to fit through the doorway. We prefer Royal Caribbean but have traveled Carnival as well. I have seen some Carnival handicapped accessible cabins for two to be so small, it would be difficult to get wc, luggage and people in the same cabin. My mother-in-law took us on a Christmas cruise on Jewel of the Seas RCCL and she was in a family cabin with other family members. Unfortunately, the hall was too narrow for the wc so we had to park it outside the door. My sister-in-law was in the same cabin and also needed a wc so it was tight in the hall. Had it fit in the hall, in the room, there would have room in the cabin to store it. We also had trouble getting past some of the carts in the hallways, they would have to get out of the wc and walk some so we could get past the carts and then get back in the chair. Sounds like that would be a problem for you. Check with a reservation person to see if some halls are wider than others. I haven't seen my mother have this problem with her scooter on ships and the scooter is wider than the wc in most cases. Most of the newer ships also have the button on the outside of the cabin or a card reader that will open your cabin door which is nice for more independence.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by cruzebound; February 29th, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words and forgot some info

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzebound View Post
I have seen some Carnival handicapped accessible cabins for two to be so small, it would be difficult to get wc, luggage and people in the same cabin. .
Carnival has two classifications of HC Cabins . Fully Accessible HC Cabins and Modified HC Cabins. The Modified HC cabins are just standard size cabins within the specific catagory that have had the entry door and the bathroom door widen. Thus the reason some are smaller than others.

Following copied directly from Carnival's website:

Wheelchair Users
Our ships have specially-designed cabins for guests using wheelchairs. We have two classifications of cabins:

Modified Cabins: these cabins have been modified from our standard cabins to include wider entry doorways. The cabin entry measures approximately 29". The cabin bathroom entry ranges from 22" to 29", with a lip ranging from 3.5" to 8" into the bathroom. These cabins are reserved for our guests who use a wheelchair for distance or guests with limited mobility.

Fully accessible cabins: these cabins have an approximately 32" entry doorway into the cabin and cabin’s bathroom. There are no lips into the bathroom. They have roll-in showers with fold-down shower seats. Additionally, there is a full turnaround space of approximately 60" x 60" in the cabin and as well as in cabin’s bathroom. These cabins are reserved for our guests who use a wheelchair, have limited or no mobility, or guests who use motorized scooters.

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have stayed in the HAL SS HC cabins on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam. See pictures for SS8068 on "Joanie's HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages" at http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/. Plenty of space. Ramp to balcony. Rollin shower. There is even a "911" button by the bed which gets a very quick response from the operator inquiring on the nature of the problem.

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banleno007 View Post
I have cruised on NCL twice and use a WC fulltime and I am looking for my next cruise (FEB 2010)
I am looking at differnent lines to find the cruise I want and I am looking for any comments good or bad on say RCCL,Celebrity & Princess.

Room Size, Bathrooms,Balcony access??

Thanks
My sister & I were on the Allure in Sept. & she used a scooter, we were in cabin 10172 a handicap room & it was almost suite size, so it was a pleasant surprise at how big it was. The bathroom was huge, shower area had a seat, hand held showerhead & access to balony was WC accessible. So any handicap cabin on this ship is great. Linda

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I saled on Celebrity Consellation last September. My husband is a full time manual wheelchair user and our cabin was a ocean verander cabin and was wonderful very spacious, bathroom was huge.

Will definetly book again.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by north49th View Post
My first cruise was a few weeks ago on the Eclipse. I was blown away by the space and layout of our Oceanview veranda stateroom. I've stayed in accessible hotel rooms that were smaller and more cramped than our stateroom.

Here's a few snaps of our room. In hindsight I should have taken more detailed photos. Next time.

We were recently on Celebrity's updated Summit in HC, aft cabin 7212. It looks very similar to the pictured cabin although there is a separate ramp for both sides of the huge balcony and the bathroom looks like it is a bit bigger, but was not updated. There is a door bell, but no automatic door opener. The cabin sleeps three, the third on a sofa bed. As mentioned, the balcony is huge with a table for two inaddition to two loungers with foot stools. (I'm sure that you could get more chairs if you had a third passenger booked.) This cabin also qualifies for the expanded room service breakfast menu which was one of the best things about the whole cruise. We booked this trip six weeks before sailling and there were several accessible cabins to choose from.

There is a list of all of the accessible cabins, their sizes and door dimensions on all of Celebrity's ships on their website.

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am a full time manual wheelchair user, and recently sailed on Freedom of the Seas in an accessible balcony stateroom. It was very roomy with a ramp out to the balcony. The bathroom was fully accessible, except for the fact that I found the sink to be very high. Workable, but a lower one would have been better. FOS accessible cabins do not have automatic doors, at least ours didn't.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're not good for much, but it makes you smile when you push them down the stairs.