Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightofninekev View Post
I am thinking of going on a cruise with royal caribbean .What are they like for solos? can anyone give me information on what kind of things they do ?
I did a TA solo on the Navigator a few years back and it was fine. I would agree with the other posters, join the roll call, and partake in the trivia and other events aboard ship to meet others. I enjoyed the trip. I would go with the traditional dining as it will give you some people to connect with aboard the ship. Sometimes you end up at a table that is not the most enjoyable but other times you end up with a great table. Our table connected very well and we participated in the trivia as a team and we were a very diverse group. Two of us were solo's, one couple was an older couple from the UK and another couple was from Alaska. I did not attend any of the single functions aboard the ship because as others stated, either no one was there at them or had other conflicts, Happy sailing and I hope you have a great trip.

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

My last cruise was solo on the Explorer and I had a great time; it was my 2nd solo cruise and although I did get lonely at times because it was 9 nights (plus 2 nights pre cruise in New Jersey), I'm so glad I opted to go by myself.

I joined my Roll Call early and I'm glad I did; met great people from there and even joined an excursion with a few of them; I also loved having my own room and being able to do my own thing and not have to worry about anyone else. I was at a 8 top table and after the first night, I was highly questioning who made the seating arrangements, but it got better and now I miss my table companions. We had quite a few singles' events that were planned in the cruise compass, but I didn't attend any of them; just wasn't that interested to do so.

I recommend trying it; I'm already looking into my 3rd solo cruise for April 2013 and I can't wait to start all the planning all over again.

Previous Cruises

Sept 2013 - 7 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise (3rd solo cruise - RCCL Jewel)
April 2013 - 4 Night Bahamas Cruise (RCCL Enchantment)
Sept 2012 - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise (RCCL Allure)
Jan 2012 - 9 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (2nd solo cruise - RCCL Explorer)
May 2011 - 4 Night Bahamas Cruise (NCL Sky)
Sept 2010 - 4 Night Bahamas Cruise (1st solo cruise - RCCL Majesty)
Sept 2009 - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise (RCCL Liberty)

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb415 View Post
Hey barbyj,

I see that we are on the same itinerary. See you onboard.
Hi Jack,
Will see you at the sailaway party. Are you on both legs?

Over 100 cruises, Princess, NCL, RCCL, Cunard & many cruise lines that no longer exist

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyj View Post
Hi Jack,
Will see you at the sailaway party. Are you on both legs?
Yes, both legs and looking for a possible reduction in price to Singapore.

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoasttech View Post
Just got back from travelling on the Radiance (14 day Aus/NZ) as a solo.
My recommendation - definitely sign on to the rollcall, go and check out any "singles" or solo get together listed in the Compass (you can always leave if you feel uncomfortable). Attend the trivia games - there's always room for one more in a trivia team, and you might win something (managed to win a T-shirt and a cruise wallet)! Go for breakfast/lunch at the main dining room and just chat to the other people at the table - you'll meet people from all over the world!
You could be my twin. I have just booked this for 2013. Solo. I can't actually believe I have done it. I am married but hubby isn't into cruising. I am really looking forward to doing this cruise where I can make my own decisions about what I want to do. Nap. Have a snack at midnight. Play bingo. Trivia. I have just been on QM2 for four nights with my mother and this opened my mind to possibilities. I have no desire to travel with mum again, it was nice but enough, but now I know I can do it on my own. I am doing mtd but will ask for a larger table. Or take my kindle!

Last edited by Pushka; April 29th, 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am an RCI newbee but have sailed solo before on DCL. Will the table assignments for Tradional dining be all solos? I have a fear of showing up and being the only person at a table.

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontok View Post
I am an RCI newbee but have sailed solo before on DCL. Will the table assignments for Tradional dining be all solos? I have a fear of showing up and being the only person at a table.
I don't think RCI does "solo" tables in the dining room. When I sail solo, I always put down that I want to be seated at bigger tables. I've never shown up to be the only diner at the table. I do remember one time that the whole table (including me) went to one of the specialty dining venues so that the whole table was empty. We did let the waiters know ahead of time though. I like set time dining because I like to get to know my table mates. I've also been included in port excursions by table mates. Just my opinion. :-)
Pamela
Tucson

Scheduled Cruises:
Aug 30, 2015: RCI - Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean (Cozamel, Roatan, Belize City)

Bucket list includes the Panama Canal, Alaska and round trip to Hawaii

Past Cruises:
Nov 24, 2013: Carnival - Magic - Mexican Riviera
Nov 18, 2012: Carnival - Splendor - Mexican Riviera
Jan 2, 2011: RCI - Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Nov 30, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Oct 14, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Baja
Sep 18, 2009: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Bahamas
Sep 14, 2009: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Bahamas
Apr 26, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Chile to San Diego
Dec 14, 2008: RCI - Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Oct 13, 2008: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Baja