Different Style of Passengers in Different Classes?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:56 PM.
#1
California
2,016 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
#2
Old York
5,646 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Smokeyham
For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?
No, it would be a false assumption. I really think that you would be very hard pressed indeed to work out, from appearances or casual conversation, whether someone was travelling Grills or Britannia (or anywhere in between). The only way you would know would be if you asked them.

J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
441 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Smokeyham
I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?
I would say you can find a fairly mixed demographic in all of them. There are passengers in QG and PG who are splurging as a one time thing, and there are those in Britannia who may be from all walks of life who don't want to spend enormous amounts of cash to cross, and/or who cross frequently and would find QG 2x a year every year to be too large a chunk from their income.

Cunard is attracting many, many more tourists to Britannia on QM2 now, just to keep her filled, and quite a few, as mentioned, book the Grills as well, as an occasional or one time thing. There used to be more, shall we say, "impoverished aristocrat" types on QE2, mostly in Caronia, and in Britannia the first couple of years of QM2's launch.

The kind of demographic you are talking about in the Grills might tend to be more prevalent on the World Cruises, and on QE and QV, although there are some on QM2 as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jane



http://www.cruiseresearch.org/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/
#4
California
2,016 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Leucothea
I would say you can find a fairly mixed demographic in all of them. There are passengers in QG and PG who are splurging as a one time thing, and there are those in Britannia who may be from all walks of life who don't want to spend enormous amounts of cash to cross, and/or who cross frequently and would find QG 2x a year every year to be too large a chunk from their income.

Cunard is attracting many, many more tourists to Britannia on QM2 now, just to keep her filled, and quite a few, as mentioned, book the Grills as well, as an occasional or one time thing. There used to be more, shall we say, "impoverished aristocrat" types on QE2, mostly in Caronia, and in Britannia the first couple of years of QM2's launch.

The kind of demographic you are talking about in the Grills might tend to be more prevalent on the World Cruises, and on QE and QV, although there are some on QM2 as well.

Thanks... The feedback is really helpful!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
#5
Connecticut
3,011 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Smokeyham
I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?
What class of accommodations do you think will make you happy? As far as I have seen, you will see no difference, the general population of a Cunard ship is older, well dressed and well mannered and I don't believe that accommodations are chosen by most passengers for any other reason than what those accommodations offer. I saw no snobbery by anyone in any class accommodation. Affluence never has been discussed, at least when I have been aboard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" bgcolor="#ffffff"><tr><td><a href="http://www.smilebox.com/play/4d7a45334d7a51784d673d3d0d0a&campaign=blog_playbac k_link" target="_blank"><img width="420" height="330" alt="Click to play " src="http://www.smilebox.com/snap/4d7a45334d7a51784d673d3d0d0a.jpg" style="border: medium none ;"/></a></td></tr><tr><td><a href="http://www.smilebox.com/?partner=google&campaign=blog_snapshot" target="_blank"><img width="420" height="46" alt="Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox" src="http://www.smilebox.com/globalImages/blogInstructions/blogLogoSmilebox.gif" style="border: medium none ;"/></a></td></tr><tr><td align="center"><a href="http://www.smilebox.com/slideshows" target="_blank">Make a slideshow - it's easy!</a></td></tr></table>233&d=1208958163
#6
Old York
5,646 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by The Real PM
...Affluence never has been discussed, at least when I have been aboard.
I thought I mentioned to you that I really really really wanted to win the Lottery!

J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#7
Cambridgeshire, UK
827 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by Leucothea
The kind of demographic you are talking about in the Grills might tend to be more prevalent on the World Cruises, and on QE and QV, although there are some on QM2 as well.
I have never found it on QV - we have never been able to tell Grills passengers from Britannia. I doubt if it is obvious on QE either.
#8
New Hampshire
5,403 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Smokeyham
I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?
As we've done Queens/Princess Grills & Britannia, I'm hard pressed to see any real difference. On trips with more British aboard, I've seen more of them in the Grills. On Our trip in 2006, many of the Brits got some kind of really reduced fare. there was a real difference in their "class" if you will. The "Cockney" were in Britannia, mainly inside staterooms. The more "formal" types definatly were in the Grills. We never quite saw anything like it. The 2 groups definatly didn't mix. It actually was kind of amusing.
#9
441 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Camgirl
I have never found it on QV - we have never been able to tell Grills passengers from Britannia. I doubt if it is obvious on QE either.
I've never traveled on either, just heard others speak about them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jane



http://www.cruiseresearch.org/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/
#10
Pt Charlotte,FL USA
4,318 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
I think you will find the same mix of "class" in The Grills and Britannia.

The choice is really, how much do you wish to pay for your cabin. Remember all passengers share the same public rooms, theatre etc.

Personally I have champagne taste, in everything but money, for that I am I regret to say D8/D7 grade of cabin. I have been fortunate to receive some free upgrades but only within Britannia not the Grills

Choose the type and style of cabin you will be happy with, and can afford. It is true you do receive more elegant service in the Grills, and I would love to travel that way again ( I did so in the past , but now it is impossible financially).

Have a wonderful cruise whichever cabin grade you choose.

As an type of postscript, a certain British Earl, was a taxi cab driver in a European city before he inherited the title, and all he received was the title, no money, no land,no house. I think in fact that he still drives the same cab in the same city as before.If he travelled on QV on the same cruise as myself , I think he would be in an inside cabin, just like myself!.


I never ask "which grade of cabin" and would not wish anyone to ask me that question either.
#11
Boston, MA
412 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We use our American Express points for a TA a few years back. We had enough points for PG but went with Britannia as we wanted an inside hull balcony and to be lower in the ship. For us the trip was free, and we still went Britannia.

Don't get me wrong - we like luxury. We stayed at Claridge's for four nights before the TA. (On my dime, not Amex.) But we bypassed PG for the stability of a B3 cabin.
#12
Old York
5,646 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by keithm
The "Cockney" were in Britannia, mainly inside staterooms. The more "formal" types definatly were in the Grills. We never quite saw anything like it. The 2 groups definatly didn't mix. It actually was kind of amusing.
Lor' luv us guv! You are a caution an' no mistake, aintcha? But you're right about us cheery Cockneys. We know our place, you won't find us up in the Chilterns - we'll all be dahn in the hereditary taking our turn on the barns, innit!

Well, gotta luv ya an' leave ya - I 'ave to sew some more buttons on me Pearly King suit. Gotta 'ave it ready for our next Howard - wouldn't want to mess up on the ole dress code would I now?



J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#13
Surrey UK
7,369 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Cruachan
Lor' luv us guv! You are a caution an' no mistake, aintcha? But you're right about us cheery Cockneys. We know our place, you won't find us up in the Chilterns - we'll all be dahn in the hereditary taking out turn on the barns, innit!

Well, gotta luv ya an' leave ya - I 'ave to sew some more buttons on me Pearly King suit. Gotta 'ave it ready for our next Howard - wouldn't want to mess up on the ole dress code would I now?



J
I will act as interpreter for Mr Cruachan:-
Chilterns = Chiltern Hills = Grills
Hereditary = Hereditary Peerage = Steerage
Barns = Barn Doors = Oars
Howard = Howard Hughes = Cruise.

This is rhyming scottish slang at its best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


E: [email protected]

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield


My blog can be found at http://thecapnpugwash.wordpress.com/

QE2 1 cruise 7 days
QM2 41 Transatlantics c263 days
QM2 5 cruises 38 days
QE 5 cruises 46 days
QV 6 cruises 74 days
P&O 8 cruises 135 days
Celebrity 1 cruise 12 days
RCIL 1 cruise 18 days
NCL 1 cruise 14 days
Fred Olsen 2 cruises 26 days
MSC 4 cruises 55 days
HAL 1 cruise 7 days

Future trips
#14
Old York
5,646 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by capnpugwash
I will act as interpreter for Mr Cruachan:-
Chilterns = Chiltern Hills = Grills
Hereditary = Hereditary Peerage = Steerage
Barns = Barn Doors = Oars
Howard = Howard Hughes = Cruise.

This is rhyming scottish slang at its best.
Oh I say - dash it all, Captain. You've given away my ethnic origins.

An 'ere ah foat ah sahnded pretty offentic, innit!



J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#15
Surrey UK
7,369 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Cruachan
Oh I say - dash it all, Captain. You've given away my ethnic origins.

An 'ere ah foat ah sahnded pretty offentic, innit!



J
Spot on old chap!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


E: [email protected]

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield


My blog can be found at http://thecapnpugwash.wordpress.com/

QE2 1 cruise 7 days
QM2 41 Transatlantics c263 days
QM2 5 cruises 38 days
QE 5 cruises 46 days
QV 6 cruises 74 days
P&O 8 cruises 135 days
Celebrity 1 cruise 12 days
RCIL 1 cruise 18 days
NCL 1 cruise 14 days
Fred Olsen 2 cruises 26 days
MSC 4 cruises 55 days
HAL 1 cruise 7 days

Future trips
#17
Norfolk
3,875 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by keithm
As we've done Queens/Princess Grills & Britannia, I'm hard pressed to see any real difference.
Would you not agree, Keef, that hoi polloi are, perhaps, more inclined towards threats of violence and thus easily identifiable?

Sir Martin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion" - Sir Martin
#18
291 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by Norfolk Brit
Would you not agree, Keef, that hoi polloi are, perhaps, more inclined towards threats of violence and thus easily identifiable?

Sir Martin
In which case ar Keef should fit right in. Did he not once brag about dragging somebody out of a lift by the nose?
SS
#19
Norfolk
3,875 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by shinyshoes
In which case ar Keef should fit right in. Did he not once brag about dragging somebody out of a lift by the nose?
SS
He did indeed, guv'. Cats never forget...

Sir Martin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion" - Sir Martin