Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hair Dryers and Shampoo on Princess..

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week. I need to save space in the suitcase. Are there hair dryers in the cabins? Also do they provide shampoo?

We have sailed before with Princess but it has been a few years, so I thought I would check. Thanks

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yes there is a blow dryer in your cabin and shampoo and conditioner are supplied.

Island Princess May 16-21, 2014 * Sapphire Princess March 31-April 3, 2014 * Sapphire Princess January 6-9, 2014 * Golden Princess Pacific Coast Thanksgiving November 27 - November 30, 2013 * Grand Princess Alaska August 8- August 18, 2013 * HAL Amsterdam Alaska July 27 - August 10, 2012 * Carinval Spirit Mexican Riviera March 30-April 8, 2012 * Caribbean Princess Canada/New England July 19 - July 28, 2011 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 22, 2010-January 5, 2011 * Sea Princess Alaska July 31-August 10, 2010 * Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera March 27-April 3, 2010 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 20, 2009 -January 3, 2010 * Diamond Princess B2B Alaska June 20 - July 4, 2009 *NCL Star Mexican Riviera April 11-18, 2009 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 24, 2008-January 7, 2009 * RCCL Monarch of the Seas Pacific July 28-31, 2008 * Golden Princess Mexico April 12-19, 2008 * Diamond Princess Hawaii Dec 18, 2007-Jan 2, 2008 * Dawn Princess Alaska July 20-30, 2007 * RCCL Vision of the Seas Mexico November 19-26,2006 * NCL Star Alaska August 13-20, 2006 * Carnival Cruise Baja April 14-17, 2006 * DCL Western Cruise February 11-18, 2006 * DCL Cruise West Coast July 23-30, 2005

Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlybelle2 View Post
We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week. I need to save space in the suitcase. Are there hair dryers in the cabins? Also do they provide shampoo?

We have sailed before with Princess but it has been a few years, so I thought I would check. Thanks
Yes, cabins on Princess have hair dryers and shampoo. No need to pack your own.

Princess Platinum

Cool Cruiser

They do provide both. However, that said, I have found that the hairdryer takes about 45 minutes - an hour to dry my shoulder length hair completely and, even then, I need to start with the straightening iron if I want my hair really straight. To save myself at least 40 minutes that could be better spent enjoying my cruise, as well as keep the temperature in the room cool, I would rather bring my own hairdryer and bring one less pair of shoes or make due with a few less "things" in my suitcase. My DH has asked why I can't live without drying my hair -- I just give him "the look". As for shampoo, again, personal preference. Princess provides the shampoos they use in the spa, but I prefer what I use at home, so I usually get trial sizes from my salon whenever I purchase shampoo & conditioner and put them away until I go on vacation.

Costa Classica - Mediterranean - October 2004
Golden Princess- Hawaii -March 2010
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean - March 2011
Star Princess - Hawaii - March 2012
Carnival Miracle - Bahamas - November 2012

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

The hairdryers are weak................the shampoo is a eucalyptus/rosemary kind of scent.....I love it........
STAR PRINCESS 2006
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2005
CELEBRITY MILLENIUM 2004
GRAND PRINCESS 2003
GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 1997

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
40,000+ Club

I can't talk to the hair dryer, the way to dry my hair is turn off the shower.

They do have shampoo, conditioner and body lotion in the bathroom. The cabin steward will replenish as necessary

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM
10,000+ Club

I have thick straight hair just above shoulder length and Princess (or any) blow dryer is fine with me.

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachsea&sail View Post
They do provide both. However, that said, I have found that the hairdryer takes about 45 minutes - an hour to dry my shoulder length hair completely and, even then, I need to start with the straightening iron if I want my hair really straight. To save myself at least 40 minutes that could be better spent enjoying my cruise, as well as keep the temperature in the room cool, I would rather bring my own hairdryer and bring one less pair of shoes or make due with a few less "things" in my suitcase. My DH has asked why I can't live without drying my hair -- I just give him "the look". As for shampoo, again, personal preference. Princess provides the shampoos they use in the spa, but I prefer what I use at home, so I usually get trial sizes from my salon whenever I purchase shampoo & conditioner and put them away until I go on vacation.

Your DH IMHAO makes a good point about the "live without drying" hair idea. Many women don't use a hair dryer and their hair looks great. Or maybe you could do your hair styling on the balcony with a nice styling brush and the great ocean breezes. You could also wear a wig. My point is that there are options.

If you can't live with what is provided, bring your own. Cruising should be enjoyable. Right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent using the Cruise Critic website on my Laptop.

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileyd577 View Post
The hairdryers are weak................the shampoo is a eucalyptus/rosemary kind of scent.....I love it........
Agree--weak, weak, weak. If I want to pull the curl out of my hair, I need a dryer with more wattage. So, I brink my own.

While I love the smell of the shampoo and conditioner, it's pretty harsh. If you use organic shampoos without sulfites, then bring your own. This stuff has an awful lot of detergent.

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have really short hair and I always bring my own dryer as well as my own shampoo and conditioner. My hair dryer goes in my carry on as well as my shampoo and conditioner in small TSA approved bottles. If needed I will pack extra in my checked luggage. I find the dryers on the ships useless. On Celebrity it was actually in the bathroom but looked more like a vacum hose. Worked great though to clear the steam from the mirror. Enjoy your cruise.

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I don't ever use a dryer so not sure of strength but can tell you it won't dry even nylon panties! or a spot cleaned. The shampoo makes my nose itch and I even ask my husband not to use it. Little bottles from home usually do me if I'm not gone over 4 weeks.

Also if you are doing laundry in the laundry room bring Purell 3-in1 sheets -- much better clean than the little boxes in the dispenser and MUCH cheaper.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I also find their hair dryers too weak and need to bring my own but at least the plug is in a decent locaton on Princess ships. On the HAL ships the outlet is right at the desktop which makes it impossible to plug in as most blow dryers have the oversided plugs with the thick cord going down (not straight out).

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileyd577 View Post
the shampoo is a eucalyptus/rosemary kind of scent.....I love it........
Me too...can't wait to smell it again & know I am on a ship!

Future:
Nov. 2014 Panama Canal w/family : Island Princess
April 2015 TA to Barcelona / May 2015 Barcelona - Istanbul : Emerald Princess

Past:
April 2014 : TA - FLL to Berlin : Royal Princess; Nov/Dec. 2013 : Southern Caribbean BTB: Crown Princess
June 2013 British Isles : Caribbean Princess; Feb. 2013 Eastern Caribbean : Emerald Princess; Nov. 4/11 2012 - BTB Eastern Caribbean : Ruby Princess; Feb/March 2012 : Tahiti - Sydney : Ocean Princess; Jan. 2012 - Eastern Caribbean : Ruby Princess; Nov. 2011 - Southern Caribean : Emerald Princess; Sept. 2011 - New England/Canada : Caribbean Princess; Feb. 2011 - Hawaii-Tahiti : Royal Princess; June 2010 - Alaska : Coral Princess; Denali on our own; April 2007 - Lindblad - Panama Canal/Costa Rica; April 2006 - Lindblad - Galapagos/Machu Picchu

Old February 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
I don't ever use a dryer so not sure of strength but can tell you it won't dry even nylon panties! or a spot cleaned. The shampoo makes my nose itch and I even ask my husband not to use it. Little bottles from home usually do me if I'm not gone over 4 weeks.

Also if you are doing laundry in the laundry room bring Purell 3-in1 sheets -- much better clean than the little boxes in the dispenser and MUCH cheaper.
Purell is the hand sanitizer and PUREX is the laundry sheet, and they are great and don't take up room in the luggage.

Old February 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

The HD / shampoo debate depends a lot on personal preference. DW had no problem with the HD in our mini-suite on the Crown, but she travels 50% of the time for business and refuses to drag a dryer with her to help keep her luggage weight down. She did bring her own shampoo.

I had no problem with the shampoo or soap provided but I've used dish detergent for shampoo when camping , so...

Last edited by pakarinen; February 16th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for the replies..

I am only bring one piece of luggage. I need the room, so I will use the hairdryer and shampoo from the ship. I need to sneak some shoes into my DH luggage, so I can make one suitcase work!

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Picayune View Post
Purell is the hand sanitizer and PUREX is the laundry sheet, and they are great and don't take up room in the luggage.
There is also the shampoo. I think it is Prell or something like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent using the Cruise Critic website on my Laptop.

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quick tip on his and hers luggage....be sure to split your clothes between the two. On the off chance one is lost or delayed, you'll each have clean clothes to wear.
SAILED:
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean - March, 2012
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean - April, 2011

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:22 PM
5,000+ Club

I take a very small travel hair dryer but usually use the one on-board. One formal night the ship hairdryer wouldn't work and they couldn't fix it till later, I was very happy to have my travel one with me.

Dianne

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I always bring my own hair dryer but on Carrribean Princess In January the dryer was a different style than the Usualflat dryer that is on the other Princess Ships I have been on. It worked way better and if I am on Carriben Princess again for me I will not bring my own dryer I will use theirs but it is a personal choice. I also have short hair. The shampoo and cream rinse provided also work for me.