Homemade Carnival Molten Cake

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:12 PM.
Arizona
2,055 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
As many of you know, the recipe is given out on the Behind the Fun tour, in addition to being readily available online. I used 8oz ramekins for this attempt and it came out good. The time given in the recipe wasn't that exact, and I think that they could have gone a little longer and still been molten. I also have no idea how the chefs manage to get them so perfect in the cup, instead of rising unevenly like mine.

It was still tasty, and here are some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0214.jpg (7.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0215.jpg (20.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0216.jpg (10.2 KB, 102 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Mike

Cruise Bucket List
✓ Alaska
✓ Panama Canal
✓ Egypt / Suez Canal
✓ Middle East
Baltic Sea
Trans-Pacific
Trans-Atlantic
Australia via a repositioning cruise
Grove, OK on Grand Lake
3,514 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Gig103
As many of you know, the recipe is given out on the Behind the Fun tour, in addition to being readily available online. I used 8oz ramekins for this attempt and it came out good. The time given in the recipe wasn't that exact, and I think that they could have gone a little longer and still been molten. I also have no idea how the chefs manage to get them so perfect in the cup, instead of rising unevenly like mine.

They look yummy, just the same
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic Western Caribbean - 02-02-14
Carnival Splendor 15 day Hawaiian Cruise - 01-19-13 (Kruzin' Kahunas)
Carnival Conquest Final Voyage-Galveston - 11-06-11
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - 10-31-10 (7 ports of call, if you count San Juan!!)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02-14-10
Carnival Conquest Inaugural Eastern Caribbean-02-15-09 (Parrot Head's Cruise)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02/10/08 (First Cruise)

We are off to the Exotic Western Caribbean!

<A" target="_blank">
Kentucky
270 Posts
Joined Jan 2011

You can try rotating your pan, sometimes that helps. (As someone with a super cheap oven in my rental I just get over the fact that many things never bake quite perfect because the heat is far from even.)

No matter how they look I bet they still tasted great!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NE of Toronto, Ontario
928 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Care to share the recipe?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last Mango

9. Diamond Princess -- September 2012 -- Alaskan Cruisetour
8. Norwegian Gem -- January 2012 -- Eastern Caribbean
7. Norwegian Jade -- May 2011 -- Greek Isles
6. Celebrity Millenium -- January 2011 -- Southern Caribbean
5. Westerdam (HAL) -- January 2009 -- Western & Southern Caribbean
4. Empress of the Sea (RCI) -- February 2008 -- Southern Caribbean
3. Regal Princess -- January 2007 -- Amazon
2. Norwegian Spirit -- February 2006 -- Southern Caribbean
1. Coral Princess -- January 2005 - Panama Canal
Dallas, TX
141 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Last Mango
Care to share the recipe?
Found this by googling

http://www.ehow.com/how_5205252_make...ting-cake.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas (Dec 1990) Carnival Inspiration (Feb 2002) Star Princess (Feb 2003) Grandeur of the Seas (Nov 2004) Carnival Conquest (Jan 2008) Carnival Conquest (July 2008) Carnival Liberty (May 2009) Carnival Glory (Feb 2010) Celebrity Eclipse (Jan 2011) Celebrity Eclipse (Jan 2012) Carnival Magic (Aug 2012) Caribbean Princess (Jan 2013) Carnival Conquest (July 2013) Royal Princes (Jan 2014) MSC Divina (Aug 2014) Carnival Freedom (Jan 2015) Navigator of the Seas (Aug 2015) Carnival Magic (Mar 2016) Celebrity Solstice (Jun 2017)
Dallas, TX
198 Posts
Joined Mar 2011

I wonder if they are using a water bath to heat everything evenly. This is common with creme brulee and cheesecake...makes sense...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Arizona
2,055 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Yeah I forgot I posted this!! Thanks JG-TX for answering the question of the recipe, and andr3a I may have to try a water bath next time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Mike

Cruise Bucket List
✓ Alaska
✓ Panama Canal
✓ Egypt / Suez Canal
✓ Middle East
Baltic Sea
Trans-Pacific
Trans-Atlantic
Australia via a repositioning cruise