Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old February 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sea Bands ???

Anyone tried these ? Do they work ?

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukyrin View Post
Anyone tried these ? Do they work ?
My DH (who get really seasick) used it once, just for a day on our transatlantic cruise. He usually uses the patch quite well, but on this particular cruise it was soooooo calm he was actually having some side effects from it and took it off.

One day (as we crossed out of the Mediterranean into the Atlantic) the transition had a little more motion. He put on the sea bands and they seemed to work. Whether it was just knowing that he was doing something that should help, or whether it really has an effect, who knows? It worked, that's all that counts.

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Near Crescent City, Del Norte County, California ... in the Redwood Forest

I swear by them! I've had motion-sickness problems all my life, with the usual over-the-counter products being useless, other than making me feel drugged. I did successfully use the Transderm-Scop patch when it first came out. Didn't get sick in the most challenging of conditions, but felt awful: drugged, tired, dried-out and blurred vision. I'd have been better off just ....well, never mind.

But the bands work for me now every time! Car, bus, air, sea. I give them to friends.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM
5,000+ Club

I have bought several pairs, and have one pr. in our camera bag, one pr. in my makeup bag. When I get on the ship, I put the one from my makeup bag in the bedside table. I know my husband will always have his camera bag even if we are on a tender or any other small boat(snorkeling). I have given a pair to our grandson for car travel sickness, and he said they worked for him, too. I never leave home without mine for any travel.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:17 AM
10,000+ Club

Yes, they absolutely work and the best benefit of all is that they are non-medicating and will not make you drowsy. I used them during my last pregnancy.

Up next:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Explorer of the Seas Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage
Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:25 AM
10,000+ Club

Although there is plenty of non-scientific statements that Seabands are effective, the science is not very supportive. On the other hand, if you think the things work they may well do the trick (Placebo effect). Here is a very interesting article about Seabands:
http://www.skeptics.org.nz/SK:VIEWAR...DeptTOC.1,A761

We have spent a little time on cruise ships (more then 2 years) and have our own anecdotal story. We once had some tablemates (4 of them) who swore by Seabands and wore them all the time while on a 10 day cruise. The first few days were relatively calm (seas less then 6 feet) and every night at dinner our tablemates would tell us about their wonderful Seabands. Then one evening we hit some rough weather right around dinner time. The seas were only about 15 feet (we have been on cruises where the seas topped 40 feet) and it got a bit rocky during our dinner. During diner 3 of the 4 Seaband users were gradually turning a funny shade of green during the meal. By the end of the meal we were down to only 1 of those 4 who felt perfectly fine (am sure she thought the Seabands helped).

Hank

Last edited by Hlitner; February 20th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:18 AM
5,000+ Club

I have gotten relief with them.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
5,000+ Club

They work great !!!!!

You can find them at Walmart in the asile with the Seasick meds. They come in adult and child sizes; a few different colors as well.

Carnival Legend
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Liberty

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I use them and they work. Walgreens, CVS, and other drugfstores too. Cost around $10.00.

And if a grocery story has a good pharmacy/medical area, they should have them too

USNS General Alexander M Patch Bremerhaven to New York City August 1955
Grand Circle Cruise River Harmony Frankfurt to Amsterdam December 2005
Celebrity Mercury Panama Canal Repo San Diego to Baltimore October 2010
Celebrity Century Hawaii to Ensenada March-April 2012
Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle May 2014

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have used them on all of our cruises and I do believe they help. In fact, just bought a second pair this week (different colour-pure vanity!!) ready for March! I don't wear them all the time just as the motion starts to feel a bit more than I am comfortable with! I also am happy to take one of the pills the cruise lines give you when necessary. I haven't had any bad side effects, so far, from these.

Sailed

2008 Blue Monarch - Monarch Classic - Greek Isles
2009 Navigator of the Seas - RCI - Mediterranean
2011 Century - Celebrity Cruises - Alaska
2011 Adventure of the Seas - RCI -Lisbon/Gib
2012 Jade - NCL - Canary Islands
2012 Jade - NCL - Med & The Holy Land
2013 Star - NCL - Baltic Capitals
2013 Gem - NCL - New York & Eastern Caribbean
2014 Sovereign - Pullmantur - Mediterranean

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well 2 years ago I used them and felt nauseas most of the time and come the second week was sick and felt pretty rotten for most of the last week...
Last year decided to not bother and didnt even feel the slightest bit queasy, not once!!

Work that one out...lol

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
5,000+ Club

They work for me BUT I have to give my hands a break every hour or so since they cut the circulation off to my hands and my hands swell and get tight.

I find my choice now is ginger pills and start taking them a couple of days before cruising and have never gone back to the seabands.

Upcoming Cruise(s):
None
Past Cruises:
CCL Fantasy, Bahamas - December 2010 Christmas Cruise
CCL Dream -W Carib - September 4, 2010
NCL Pearl, Eastern Carib - February 6, 2010
NCL Majesty, Bermuda - May 2009
CCL Sensation Bahamas - December 2008 Christmas Cruise
NCL Majesty Bermuda - June 2008
NCL Majesty Bermuda - November 2007
CCL Fantasy Bahamas - November 2002
CCL Victory Bahamas - May 2001
NCL Crown Bermuda - September 1998
NCL Dream Bermuda - September 1997
CCL Jubilee Mexican Riviera - April 1990
CP Empress of Canada - 1966 (prior to being Mardi Gras)

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hank great link people dont look at facts they belive what someone tells them. The mythbusters on tv. also proved sea bands do not work. There really is such a thing as the placebo effect so it makes real tests hard.

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If the SeaBands work only because of the placebo affect, guess what? They work! It doesn't matter why they work if they work. My DH used to get sea sick and now he doesn't so they work for him! My DS (16) knows they don't really work, so they don't work for him. I rarely get seasick so for me they aren't an issue. What does work and what all of us take in rough seas is ginger. Candied, or in gum form, works like a charm for us.

Last edited by mousey; February 20th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
10,000+ Club

The thing about Sea Bands is that if folks really think they work they may do a lot of good. A lot of seasickness is psychosamatic so if you believe in something it can really help. The only thing that is really important is that it works for you! That being said, we have always challenged believers in Sea Bands to steer us to a couple of truly scientific studies that demonstrate their effectiveness. After asking this question for over 20 years we have yet to see a valid study. But, there are quite a few scientific studies that show they do not work! Of course many folks really do not believe in science (there is still a Flat Earth Society) and if they are happy then so be it!

Hank

Last edited by Hlitner; February 21st, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza7 View Post
I have used them on all of our cruises and I do believe they help. In fact, just bought a second pair this week (different colour-pure vanity!!) ready for March! I don't wear them all the time just as the motion starts to feel a bit more than I am comfortable with! I also am happy to take one of the pills the cruise lines give you when necessary. I haven't had any bad side effects, so far, from these.

It's not pure vanity if selecting a different color for each family member. It keeps things tidy and organized.

In addition, they come in children's sizes and it is always nice for them to be able to select the colors that they want instead of the standard black.

Carnival Legend
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Liberty

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Maybe yes maybe no

As you can tell, many people swear by sea bands. For some people, they work very well. Whether it is the placebo effect, or whether the pressure is properly applied and works who knows? On the other hand, for some people they do not work at all.

There are many posts about seasickness and I won't repost my other postings here since you (the OP) did not ask. But if you have concerns, which you must have, then search for that topic and learn a bit more about the situation in general.

Previous cruises:
Uniworld RIVER AMBASSADOR - European Splendors, June, 2013
Disney DREAM - 4-Day Bahamas - January, 2013
Oceania RIVIERA - Accent on Italy - Oct. 24 - Nov. 3, 2012
MV ECLIPSE - 7 days in the Galapagos - June, 2012
HAL STATENDAM - 7 day Glacier excursion - June, 2010
Disney WONDER - 3-night Bahamas - Dec. 27-30, 2009
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendors - Aug 8-22, 2009
Carnival FANTASY - 3-day 1990 or '91
USS HANCOCK (CVA-19) Two WestPac cruises 1969-71 Oops those weren't pleasure cruises!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
20,000+ Club

My DW wears them all the time for cruising and flying. Frankly I think it is mind over matter....but who am I to argue with success.

One word of caution though, we bought some knock offs at a Kroger subsidiary (Smith's here in AZ) that had some type of latex in them that caused an allergic rash on DW's wrists.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes,Had to use it on the Elation when the ship was really rocky one night.It worked!

Last edited by havocfan; February 23rd, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your input. I did buy a pair and I do think they helped me. I also have a few boxes of Bonine to take with me.

Mt doctor gave me a script for the patch. I have read most people have bad side side affects of the patch so I have decided not to try the patch.

I will stick with the bands and the Bonine.

I cannot wait until April 2nd !!!!