European River Cruise with Young Children?

GoldenRose

We travel all the time with our children (2 or 3 real trips a year, plus long weekends.) We've flown, driven, and cruised to various destinations; both our kids are good travelers, even the baby. However, we have never done a river cruise, either with or without our kids.

We're looking seriously at doing a European River Cruise of some sort next summer, in 2013. Our group would be 5 adults and our 2 children, who would be 8 and 2.5. Our kids don't need kids' clubs or other children to play with to be happy on vacation.

From what I've seen, Tauck Bridges won't allow us to cruise with them yet because of the baby. They were our first choice before I realized that we couldn't use them yet. For various reasons, putting this particular trip off another year won't work, although if we really enjoy it, we're likely to try to book other river cruises down the road.

We're willing to do just about any route (all river cruising is new to us) and any at least moderately luxurious line. We would rather not have all the other passengers on board hate us from moment one for bringing kids along, and obviously, we need to find a line that accepts children.

Has anyone done a river cruise with children? Are we out of our minds for considering this?

Viking has been our cruise company and I have got to tell you that the youngest we had seen was late teens.

No children menus, nothing remotely even geared to childrens interest, no pools.

Just curious, what about river cruises has you interested instead of the big lines that are a bit more child friendly?

Through a childs eyes........it would be one boring trip!;)

Some cruise lines have a few "family" cruises in the summer. I can't remember which ones. We have been on 3 lines and on all of them the rooms only hold 2 people so you would have to book 2 cabins. I was an elementary teacher for 37 years and I wouldn't bring a child under 10 on any of these cruises, even family cruises. They involve a lot of walking ,touring cathedrals, historical sites that I don't think would in anyway benefit your children. The food is not geared toward children.( I doubt there is a high chair on board.)Maybe you've flown with your children to Europe, but I doubt they would really enjoy a 9+ hour plan ride plus the long security lines.

Most lines are totally geared safety-wise for adults. In the summer both Uniworld and Crosi Europe (french company) do trips geared for families. As previously said--nothing for small children, not even life preservers. There are no family cabins, so 2 cabins would be necessary. No kids programs, so they will be yours 24/7--also no children's menu. Wait a few years til youa all can enjoy the trip. We have been on 15 river cruises through out the world and have not seen one child. Pat

As far as the particulars go, our kids both already have some experience with customs and security lines.

Our son (who will be 8 when we are thinking about doing the trip) has been to Europe with us before. We did a two week Mediterranean cruise with him on the Celebrity Eclipse, and he absolutely loved it. He came back saying, "Europe is way cooler than Disney World!" He loved the trip and was good the entire time, except that he melted down in the customs line getting back into the US after about an hour and a half. (This was after a flight that ended up delayed several hours and had bad turbulence; honestly, I was ready to melt down myself.)

As far as international travel goes, the baby (our daughter) has done a cruise and just the customs/security line after it. She was fine, just napped in her stroller.

The only reason we are considering this is because it is the dream of a family member. Arguably two family members. One in particular gets seasick on traditional cruises, but would really like to try a river cruise. It would not be my first choice. I've basically been told that I can pick any river cruise in Europe on any line, if we can find one where the kids will be allowed and would even have a good time.

Honestly, I'm not that worried about our son (who will be the 8 year old). He's very mature for a child, he loves to read and draw quietly, and spend time with his family. Our daughter is more of an unknown quantity, simply because she is still so young. She's not quite a year and a half old at this point; so far, she's cheerful and easygoing, and she enjoys new places and new people (although she takes a little time to adjust to sleeping in new places.) She was the star of the cruise we took her on recently; she was good natured and smiled and waved at everyone, and handled even 8 hour long shore excursions well. But kids change a lot in a year and a half, particularly ones as young as she is, and she may not be as easy to travel with next year.

I know they aren't really a kid thing, but I wondered if anyone had ever successfully taken kids on one and had a good time.

Never seen a baby or toddler on a European River cruise. Frankly, after having paid so much, I would not enjoy a 2 year old at dinner next to me. By the way, dinner almost always last 2 to 2 and half hours. How about a cruise on the Mississippi?

Goldenrose, as I said before check Uniworld and Criosi Europe. They have family oriented trips in the summer. Even those might not allow a toddler on board. Maybe a family member could stay with your toddler while the rest of you cruise. Good luck. Pat

Uniworld lists the Young Travelers savings for their multigenerational cruises as age 4 to 18... so you are not quite there yet. But - you could call and confirm.

The youngest child I have ever seen on a river cruise looked to be about 8 - on our Tulip Time cruise (Scenic) last year.

GoldenRose,

I started out river cruising with my daughter when she was 1.5 years old. This has been in the US. Her first European river cruise was at the age of 5y. Although we´ve cruised with a German company we never came up with the idea that there might be a minimum age. BTW on that cruise there were two kids who were even younger than her.

Sure, the average age on a river cruise is more 60+. And of course there is no entertainment for kids. The main problem for us was to find a ship which has triple accomodations. The German cruise companies do not include the shore tours. Our daughter wouldn´t have loved them anyway. So we made up our own plans and integrated some fun stuff for her. Like in Vienna we climed up the steeple of St. Stephan´s cathedral and then took a horse carriage ride. We went to the Prater and rode the big ferris wheel. We went to see the horse training at the Spanish horse riding school. In Budapest we booked a Puszta excurision including a horse show.

It definitely is possible to do a river cruise with kids and from your description I´d say your kids are able to do it. The main problem might be that all US river cruise companies in Europe do include the shore tours and you know better if your kids do like a 3 hour walking tour with lots of historic facts... mine wouldn´t (at least not at that age, now she does have history classes at school).

The German cruise company A-Rosa is more focused on a younger crowd and they do have triple cabins. They do not include the tours so you can do them on your own. Of course this needs a bit more homework.

steamboats

In 4 river cruises (5 if you count back to back) we have had a total of two children. This was on a holiday cruise and they were about ten. They kept busy playing cards and board games in the back lounge.

I did see a Uniworld boat docked with us in Amsterdam that had a family with kids aboard. They looked to be about 5 and 8.

There is nowhere for a toddler to blow off steam and I personally would not want to be a river cruise with kids aboard. That is just personal preference and I cannot imagine them not being bored to death.

Uniworld is promoting some new family itineraries and I would say these are your best. You would be traveling with like minded people who expect there to be kids onboard. And they have special family excursions planned in port. We often find the included tours boring and head out on our own. I sincerely could not imagine trying to keep a child entertained.

Thanks for all the input. I do agree that it may be hard for a 2 year old to blow off steam on a boat mostly geared for adults, at least without annoying the adults! Although right now as long as she has room she can turn into her own private gym and a few toys she is pretty happy (climb onto the sofa, climb off the sofa. climb onto the coffee table, dance, climb off the coffee table.)

The kids are actually used to 2 and 2.5 hour meals occasionally. (The currently 6 year old is great at it, although I admit we will sometimes let him draw quietly or play with his ipod touch (with the sound off) when he is done eating.) The baby loves to eat, and doesn't eat quickly, and will be kept occupied for more than an hour eating. The only issue is when she has no food available, and she's hungry, but that is rare, since I keep food in the diaper bag at all times. We'd also have multiple adults present to supervise the kids and take them out of any space in which they were misbehaving.

Personally, I'd rather just do another (traditional) cruise while the kids are this young, but with 2 of the 5 adults in our party who get at least a little seasick, it just isn't an option. And we thought a river cruise sounded preferable to any sort of extended driving trip, for what is probably obvious reasons. I'm going to look more into some of the suggested options. I couldn't find a definite minimum age on the Uniworld website, so I'll give them a call next week.

I'll look more into the barges or private boats angle, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Totally concur with Granny DI. We took two grandsons age 8 and 5 to Mexico with Princess and when they were 11 and 8 to Alaska with Holland America. Both experiences were highly successful thanks to the great kids programs onboard. Steer clear of the river cruises until the kids are more age appropriate. I love children but I'd have issues with parents who disregard consideration of the comfort of fellow passengers with youngsters behaving inappropriately. That's exactly what would happen when they got bored on a river cruise. Take the rugrats on a cruise with a decent youth program and everyone will be happy.

Golden Rose---How do I sensitively phrase my response??????????????????????

Sorry, although the 8 yo might be OK and steal the show with his/her cuteness among the other passengers, taking a 2.5 yo on a cruise is begging for trouble. Wait another 2.5 years and then you'll get more help from the older sibling.

If you decide to go please, at the first sign of trouble, remove the youngster from the scene and put your good parenting skills to work. Your fellow passengers will admire, and thank, you.

In 4 river cruises (5 if you count back to back) we have had a total of two children. This was on a holiday cruise and they were about ten. They kept busy playing cards and board games in the back lounge.

I did see a Uniworld boat docked with us in Amsterdam that had a family with kids aboard. They looked to be about 5 and 8.

There is nowhere for a toddler to blow off steam and I personally would not want to be a river cruise with kids aboard. That is just personal preference and I cannot imagine them not being bored to death.

Uniworld is promoting some new family itineraries and I would say these are your best. You would be traveling with like minded people who expect there to be kids onboard. And they have special family excursions planned in port. We often find the included tours boring and head out on our own. I sincerely could not imagine trying to keep a child entertained.

cavairgal, I agree, there is no structure for children on river boats. I think it would be problematic for toddlers and small children. Perhaps a 10 year old could take in the history and culture.

I live children, but dragging a baby carriage around on excursions, sorry!

Archived