Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wheelchair Check In At Airport

We have decided to purchase a transport wheelchair for our cruise to Alaska.

It'll be brought along as a backup for my MIL. She has had numerous surgeries recently and we expect by the evening she will probably be too tired to navigate the big ship.

Going out we will have a short connection in Chicago (O'Hare), involving two terminals. Instead of risking the chair being the last item out of the gate check area, we would check the chair in at the beginning and pick it up at our final destination. As I have taken this same flight before, we are comfortable she will be able to navigate getting to the two terminals as long as we do not get delayed trying to get things out of the gate check area.

Secondly can anyone recommend a transport/tote bag for the wheelchair. I don't think they normally come with a wheelchair.

Thanks for your help

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wheelchair Check in at Airport

Realized I forgot to ask my first question in my previous post.

Is is a good idea/bad idea to check the wheelchair all the way through both flights and not gate check it?

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgran190 View Post
Realized I forgot to ask my first question in my previous post.

Is is a good idea/bad idea to check the wheelchair all the way through both flights and not gate check it?
With checking it all the way thorugh as luggage there's always the risk of it not arriving at the final destination given that it's not a direct flight. Also by doing so it's placed at greater risk for getting damage.

If it were me I would gate check it. I always gate check my walker and really don't have to wait all that long for it at the gate.

Last edited by xxoocruiser; February 21st, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have found gate check to be far better for us. Others may not agree and prefer check through. Chicago assistance has been inconsistent for us. Usually excellent, but sometimes none is available. The distance to and from the gates can be very long, and sometimes no seats are available at the gate. I guess we are somewhat control freaks.

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM
20,000+ Club

I totally agree with xxoo. I gate check my scooter and they're usually very quick with bringing it up to the jetway. But, how short a connection do you have at ORD? That airport is huge, crowded and can take forever if you have to change terminals. If you have less than an hour, you may have a problem.

One thing you can do is still gate check the wheelchair but take one of their golf carts to your next gate. They were able to hang my mom's wheelchair on the cart and we sped off to our next gate.

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

First off is it a transport chair or a wheelchair these are two different types of chairs!!! Transport chair is 4 smaller wheels wheelchair is 2 big wheels 2 little wheels.

Either way I'd say gate check it less chance of damages and might even come in handy carrying bags from one terminal to the other. Only issue is you'll be one of the last off.

Also
Not sure what type of planes you'll be on but if you have a wheelchair sometimes they allow it to be stowed in the closet onboard and not in the belly if its small enough - never hurts to ask I always do and 75% of the time its no problem.

As for bags I personally just use a standard backpack

Final Note:
Depending what ship you'll be on you might find a transport chair to be more of a pain to push than a wheelchair with hallways being rugs. - just a word of caution

Last edited by PBC29; February 21st, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: comment

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Another vote for gate checking. It really is no problem at all, and she will have the security of the chair in transit. If she doesn't want or need it, it's a good luggage cart that you can take all the way to the plane ;-)

Most transport chairs I've looked at do come with a bag, so check around on that. But if you just keep it in service, it won't really need a bag.
Pictures from Infinity Alaska June 19, 2009
Century July 16, 2008 Roll Call Website
Quest Maiden Voyage October 24, 2007 Roll Call Website and pictures

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
5,000+ Club

I agree with the gate checking. It will make your trek across O'Hare easier, plus you can wheel her to the door of the plane, and the chair will be put in the hold from there. It will be waiting just outside the plane on the jetway when you get off the plane.

We did that with my husband several times and found it the best way to go.

Also, I'm also not sure if you really want a transport chair that has limited useage or a full size wheelchair. Think about long term use as well as short term in making that decision.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have travelled with my mother in a wheel chair for over a decade. We always have to wait, almost until all onboard have left, before her chair is brought up from the hold; this is on almost every flight we have ever taken. Occasionally, the chair is there when we leave the aircraft. If you have to hurry to board the next plane, consider that you might need to wait for the chair. (Also, airlines prefer people using wheelchairs to wait until other have left the plane, so that you can take you time getting off and into the chair. Some push ahead anyway, without abiding by this request.)

As for the chair on a ship, the transport chair will be much more difficult to move about on carpets. It would be better to get a quality, light-weight wheel chair. The one my mother has can be pushed and turned with one hand (mine, of course).

Regardless, enjoy the trip and the travel.
Cunard QV, Trans. East (3/2012)
Seabourn Legend, Caribb. (4/2010)
Cunard QM2, Transatlantic, East (2009)
Cunard QM2, Norway (2009)
Cunard QM2, Transatlantic, West (2009)
Cunard QM2, Canadian Maritime (2006)
Cunard QE2, Transatlantic, East (2000)
Cunard QE2 Transatlantic, West (2001) paired with
Cunard Caronia, Transatlantic, East (north), 24 days(2001)
HAL Veendam, Alaska (2002)
HAL Zuiderdam, Alaska (2006)
ROC Voyager, Ft. Laud. to Amazon, R/T, 16 days (2003)
X Summit, Bermuda (2004)
NCL Dream, Baltic Sea (2004)
NCL Jade, Mediterranean, 14 days (2008)
NCL Wind, Hawaii (2005)
Princess, Crown Princess, Carrib. (2007)
Carnival Fantasy, Caribbean (1992)

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

We usually gate check my wheelchair when we have no plane changes but if we are changing planes we baggage check mine and use the airport wheelchairs in the airport. We fine that sometime changing plans entails a lot of manuvering, out of the way paths to get to elevators and long walks. With one of the airport people (who knows where to go and how to get there) pushing we safely make it to the next gate.

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Be sure to let your airline know that she is in a wheelchair so they can make arrangements to get her quickly to the next gate.

1/4/13 Soltice Australia/NewZealand
11/20/10-Summit to the Caribbean. We had a good time.
6/9/10-Constellation to Northern Europe and Russia. Very smooth seas. Saw history come to life.
2/14/10-Golden Princess to Hawaii - Ship rocked and rolled to & from.
11/28/09 - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean
7/19/09-Star Princess to Alaska - I enjoyed Victoria, BC and the evening whale watch excursion.
2/18/09-Emerald Princess-Southern Caribbean.Loved Bonaire
11/29/08-Summit - Transatalantic -Had a relaxing time. Loved the Canary Islands
8/1/08-Millennium, Seward to Vancouver. Had a wonderful cruise and a great family time.
1/28/08 - Constellation, 11 Day Ultimate Sputhern Caribbean - We rank this cruise as one of our best. Great Ship, Great Service and Great New Friends.
1026/07 - Summit, Hawaii Circle - Wonderful sea days and met great CC people
2/3/07 - Summit, Panama Canal - Fascinating, Interesting and a great time.
10/5/06 - Constellation, New England/Canada - Met great Cruise Critic people, have lots of new friends and it was an awesome cruise too.
2/25/06 - Constellation, Southern Caribbean - A wonderful cruise
2/18/06 - Constellation, Southern Caribbean - First week of our b2b. Great trip
10/10/05 - Summit, Mexican Riviera - Wow! What a Great Trip. Great New Friends from the CC Board.
7/22/05 - Summit, Alaska - I want to go again!
2/12/05 - Constellation, Another great Southern Caribbean cruise.
7/25/04 - Infinity, Alaska, a great place to cruise.
2/21/04 - Constellation, Southern Caribbean - Another incredibly wonderful cruise
2/22/03 - Constellation (Just a wonderful, wonderful cruise); 2/22/99 - Mercury: 2/99 Monarch of the Sea