Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Allure: MDR vs. Alternatives

I've been reading some reviews and it seems some people try to avoid the MDR while others don't want to miss out on a single meal.

I know I won't be missing the formal evenings for sure but I was wondering if there are any missable nights. Should I go to the alternative dining options during lunch? Are the lunch and dinner menus very different?

I guess I'm torn about paying extra for meals when I've already paid for them with the cruise. Any thoughts on this? I would like to hear about others experiences with their meal choices.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM
10,000+ Club

We eat in the MDR every night. We refuse to pay extra for food when so much food is included. We actually like the MDR food, and the MDR traditional dining experience, and even our kids say that gathering in the MDR for dinner is something they look forward to.

In my opinion, the weakest menu is the last night's, so if I felt inclined to dine elsewhere, this would be the night that I would choose.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim19 View Post
I've been reading some reviews and it seems some people try to avoid the MDR while others don't want to miss out on a single meal.

I know I won't be missing the formal evenings for sure but I was wondering if there are any missable nights. Should I go to the alternative dining options during lunch? Are the lunch and dinner menus very different?

I guess I'm torn about paying extra for meals when I've already paid for them with the cruise. Any thoughts on this? I would like to hear about others experiences with their meal choices.
Was on the Allure November 2012 and ate in the MDR every evening. Found it to be very enjoyable and always found something to my liking.

Re Lunch - Though the MDR lunch menu really doesn't change it's an excellent lunch option particularly the salad bar complete with all the shrimp you can eat ! There's way to many free options for lunch other than the paid alternatives.
  • The Central Park Cafe is a wondefull lunch option .
  • Also very much enjoyed having lunch in the Solarium Cafe... extremely relaxing and no kids running about.
  • The Promenade Cafe is another excellent lunch option
  • so is Sorento's for Pizza.
  • Oh don't forget the Cafe in the Spa for a lighter lunch option
  • Hot Dog Shop on the Boardwalk is also good.
All of the above are "FREE" options so really no need to dine at the alternatives that require an additional fee if you don't want to spend the money. If you want to deal with crowds there's also the Windjammer buffet and the there's hamburger, Hotdog, taco area right by the basketball court which is generally loaded with kids but it is another free option.

Last edited by xxoocruiser; February 27th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
5,000+ Club

We like the MDR food also, but on our last cruise we only ate in there 3 times for diner, it was SR's the other 4 nights. We also used the MDR for breakfast and lunch,several times. Never went near the WC the whole week.

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

The food in the MDR is subjective, but I find it, at best, adequate. We sometimes like a nice quiet, romantic dining experience with better food and an intimate atmosphere.Sometimes we don't feel like eating with 2000 other people.. The MDR has none of that. Chops is very nice and normally you would pay $125+ for a meal like that at Morton's, Ruth Chris,etc...while it may not be QUITE as good as those two mentioned,I think just the side dishes and the table for 2 by the window over-looking the sea is worth the extra $$ and my wife is worth it. Plus you have candle light dining to Sinatra, Elton,Streisand,etc....how can you not like that? BTW, I am the opposite from you, after 26 cruises, we don't attend the formal nights anymore- wearing a suit on my vacation is like the mailman taking a walk on his day off- not for me..we go to the alternative venues on formal nights now...FYI: You can get the dining menus at the front desk for all the nights you're on board and decide what nights you may want to skip in the MDR...just my opinion...

Big Al

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
10,000+ Club

My goal on my upcoming Allure cruise is to try to have a meal in every restaurant on the ship. This will not be easy to accomplish, but we will do our best to achieve it! While you have already "paid" for your MDR meals, you have also "paid" for the opportunity to dine in the specialty restaurants - for the most part a similar quality meal at a land based venue would cost more than what the specialty restaurant is charging. I am glad that RCI has started rolling out some dining packages where you can book multiple restaurants at a reduced cost versus booking them a la carte.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

The MDR is fine with us - we rarely do SR's - but we have booked a few specialty restaurants this time. The reasons are varied: for a more intimate change of pace from the giant dining room (Chops), to escape crowds on sailaway day (Giovanni's Table lunch), and to enjoy a special experience we wouldn't otherwise have (Chef's Table). We will also probably try Windjammer for a casual dinner one night.

On a ship this big, I'm thinking the opportunity for a few "small" experiences will break things up nicely. All the SR's are cheaper than a comparable experience on land, so we're looking at it that way.

...plus I work in Times Square, so big crowds for me are like Big Al wearing a suit on vacation - though I'm so looking forward to Allure, even with the crowds.

We sail in 5 weeks; I'll share whether I thought it was worthwhile after that.
Allure of the Seas - Eastern 4/12
Norwegian Jewel - Cruise to Nowhere 1/11
Disney Wonder - 3 nighter 2/10
HAL Eurodam - NYC debut weekend 8/08
Carnival Victory - Canada 6/08
Mariner of the Seas - Western 9/07
Jewel of the Seas - Western 2/05

Last edited by mmcruise; February 27th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcruise View Post
The MDR is fine with us - we rarely do SR's - but we have booked a few specialty restaurants this time. The reasons are varied: for a more intimate change of pace from the giant dining room (Chops), to escape crowds on sailaway day (Giovanni's Table lunch), and to enjoy a special experience we wouldn't otherwise have (Chef's Table). We will also probably try Windjammer for a casual dinner one night.

On a ship this big, I'm thinking the opportunity for a few "small" experiences will break things up nicely. All the SR's are cheaper than a comparable experience on land, so we're looking at it that way.

...plus I work in Times Square, so big crowds for me are like Big Al wearing a suit on vacation - though I'm so looking forward to Allure, even with the crowds.

We sail in 5 weeks; I'll share whether I thought it was worthwhile after that.
I look forward to hearing back your thoughts. As far as missable meals, on a 7 day cruise, to me the first and fourth nights seem the least appealing.

Old February 28th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Many cruise critic posters have cruised enough they have eaten many of the items on the menu a number of times. And they are somewhat bored with the repeats. If this is your first cruise - check to see if someone has posted recent copies of the daily menus (they do not seem to change very much). You can then decide for yourself which day to go to one of the specialty restaurants.
Crystal - Harmony
Cunard - QE2
RCCL - Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Monarch, Vision, Navigator, Radiance,
..... Grandeur, Freedom, Mariner, Liberty, Oasis, Allure
Carnival - Tropical , Paradise
Avalon - Poetry (riverboat)
A&K - Lafayette (barge)
Seabourn - Pride
Oceania - Insignia, Marina
coming up Oasis and Solstice

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I ate in the MDR every night and really was not disappointed at all both times I was on Oasis. However, I did eat at Giovanni's once each cruise for lunch, and think that's a great place to eat lunch (or dinner). On the last cruise, had the idea of going there for lunch instead of Windjammer on embarkation day. It was not crowded, plenty of tables available and sure beat the craziness of Windjammer on embarkation day, which I didn't want to go through again after the first cruise.

Oasis of the Seas - September 24 - October 1, 2011
Oasis of the Seas - January 28 - February 4, 2012

Upcoming:
Oasis of the Seas - October 20 - 27, 2012

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

One Man's experience - We had 2nd seating on Allure, Had a wonderful waiter with great service. The food was routine, what we are use to on RC the last few years. We booked specialty restaurants on Formal nights because we opted to travel without formal wear that cruise. Another option is to do the Windjammer on the nights you don't want to go in the MDR. On Allure we only ate one meal all week there because breakfast and lunch were so crowded, next year we may try a meal on formal night there once and one of the specialty restaurants the other.

2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas.
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise

7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route

9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
5,000+ Club

I really enjoye Giovanni's for lunch. I chose a sea day when I figured most venues onboard would be crazy and it worked out quite well for a nice relaxing meal. Of course, we were less than interested in dinner in the MDR that night from such a large lunch, but that was fine, too.
Brilliance of the Seas - 4/2014, Carnival Legend - 5/2013, Celebrity Solstice - 5/2013, Celebrity Eclipse - 12/2012, Allure of the Seas - 7/2012, Serenade of the Seas - 5/2012, Voyager of the Seas - 12/2011, Liberty of the Seas - 12/2011, Freedom of the Seas - 10/2011, Oasis of the Seas - 5/2011, Celebrity Eclipse - 3/2011, Celebrity Millennium - 12/2010, Radiance of the Seas - 12/2010, Majesty of the Seas - 12/2010, Majesty of the Seas B2B 11/2010, Radiance of the Seas - 3/2010, Rhapsody of the Seas - 12/2009, Mariner of the Seas - 8/2009, Mariner of the Seas - 5/2009, Navigator of the Seas - 2/2009, Jewel of the Seas - 12/2008, Navigator of the Seas - 11/2008, Majesty of the Seas - 9/2008, Explorer of the Seas - 7/2008, Monarch of the Seas - 5/2008, Grandeur of the Seas - 3/2008, Brilliance of the Seas - 12/2007, Carnival Glory - 6/2007, Monarch of the Seas - 5/2007, Voyager of the Seas - 3/2007, Grandeur of the Seas - 12/2006, Carnival Miracle - 9/2006, Carnival Valor - 12/2005, Carnival Glory - 3/2005, Carnival Glory - 7/2003, Sovereign of the Seas - 7/2000, CCL Sensation - 12/1999, CCL Ecstasy - 12/1997, NCL ?? - 6/1996, Hawaiian American Independence - 1992, Premier Atlantic - 1991

Chris's guide for budget travel - Made for conferences (may make a cruise version some time) but airline, shuttle, Priceline, and Hotwire tips should remain the same

Pictures - From various cruises including Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas (Western Med), Celebrity Eclipse, etc Now shooting a Pentax DSLR with Sigma 24-135 and 70-300 lenses

Old February 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, thanks.for all the great input. I guess if you've have the MDR food a few times it can get pretty repetitive. I think I'll check out the menus onboard and see which nights well go elsewhere. Seeing as it'll be our honeymoon we might splurge a little for a night out or two, especially since the fiancee had their heart set on going to Chops.

Anyone try the dining packages? The Chef's menu sounds interesting so I'm wondering if it'll be worth getting a package since we're already thinking of going to two of the choices. Any thoughts on this?

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dining Package on Allure Oasis

Just booked the Central Park dinner package on Allure. Anyone experienced this. We had to book our first night at Gio's and then when on board we can book Chops and 150.
Does the C&A booklet still have the BOGO for dinner.

RCCL-521 Days at sea
Diamond Plus

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've cruised many times and I have to say that we have never paid to eat in any specialty restaurant. The food in the MDR is just fine!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Dolphin 7/82 - Virgin Cruise
Carnival Carnivale 1/85 - Honeymoon Cruise
Nordic Empress 11/93 - Thanksgiving w/Mom Cruise
Dolphin 1/94 - Gotta Get Away Cruise
Sovereign of the Seas 3/95 - 10th Wedding Anniversary Cruise
Sovereign of the Seas 3/98 - Karen's Graduation Cruise
Majesty of the Seas 5/02 - Girls Only Cruise
Majesty of the Seas 3/05 - Chris' Spring Break Cruise
Carnival Inspiration 1/06 - 21st Wedding Anniversary Cruise (ETDC)
Explorer of the Seas 5/06 - Chris' Graduation Cruise (Corner Aft Balcony)
Navigator of the Seas 12/08 - Karen's Birthday/Graduation Cruise (Center Hump Balcony)
Emerald Princess 1/10 - 25th Wedding Anniversary/Pete's Birthday Cruise
Liberty of the Seas 10/10 - Chris' Birthday Cruise
Radiance of the Seas 3/11 - 'We Made Diamond Status' Cruise
Allure of the Seas 5/12 - Celebrating 50! (RCI VISA Free Cruise)
Carnival Liberty 12/12 - Liberty Cruisers Part Deux/Karen's Birthday Cruise (Aft Balcony)

"Distance, whether by space, time, or both, bequeaths incredible clarity and immense wisdom."
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

When are formal nights? We are on the western carib. in September and these would be nights I would be more than happy to miss.

Old February 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoocruiser View Post
Was on the Allure November 2012 and ate in the MDR every evening. Found it to be very enjoyable and always found something to my liking.

Re Lunch - Though the MDR lunch menu really doesn't change it's an excellent lunch option particularly the salad bar complete with all the shrimp you can eat ! There's way to many free options for lunch other than the paid alternatives.
  • The Central Park Cafe is a wondefull lunch option .
  • Also very much enjoyed having lunch in the Solarium Cafe... extremely relaxing and no kids running about.
  • The Promenade Cafe is another excellent lunch option
  • so is Sorento's for Pizza.
  • Oh don't forget the Cafe in the Spa for a lighter lunch option
  • Hot Dog Shop on the Boardwalk is also good.
All of the above are "FREE" options so really no need to dine at the alternatives that require an additional fee if you don't want to spend the money. If you want to deal with crowds there's also the Windjammer buffet and the there's hamburger, Hotdog, taco area right by the basketball court which is generally loaded with kids but it is another free option.
We appreciate you travelling back in time to tell us about your future experience....

Last edited by kneught77; February 28th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old February 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like the idea of eating at Giovanni's table on embarkation day for lunch. What time would you recommend for a reservation, or can you just show up? Do they charge $15 for kids also? We will have an 8 year old and a 3 year old with us

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
I really enjoye Giovanni's for lunch. I chose a sea day when I figured most venues onboard would be crazy and it worked out quite well for a nice relaxing meal. Of course, we were less than interested in dinner in the MDR that night from such a large lunch, but that was fine, too.
I agree with that about Giovanni's for lunch. The food is really great and there is indeed a lot to eat, so the only minor issue is not maybe having as big of an appetite for dinner, but that's OK too! I did find that Giovanni's for lunch on embarkation day is a good way to skip all the crowds of some of the other eating places, especially the Windjammer which I made the mistake of going to on embarkation day on my first Oasis sailing. Giovanni's was not crowded at all and was a very pleasant way to start off the cruise.

Upcoming:

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenninlaca View Post
I like the idea of eating at Giovanni's table on embarkation day for lunch. What time would you recommend for a reservation, or can you just show up? Do they charge $15 for kids also? We will have an 8 year old and a 3 year old with us
I think you could probably just show up, as it wasn't crowded at least for the January 28 sailing on Oasis. Just to be safe, I made a reservation for 1 PM though. I don't know if it was unusual or not, but for my sailing, they did NOT charge us for lunch at Giovanni's on embarkation day! I was surprised when the bill showed up and said $0.00, so left a generous tip to the waiter who was very nice, basically 20% of what it SHOULD have cost if it were $15/person.

We do not have any children, so even though on the first cruise we ate during the middle of the week at lunch, I don't know if they charge a fee for children or not.

Upcoming: