Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
My daughter abused a rubber shark on Triumph - I don't recommend it.

Read story recap here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...93&postcount=9
OMG I'm killing myself laughing here I can't believe that happened? Seriously? I think I would have been asking if any of the kids club (err, children's club? Don't want you to think your offspring are another species ) staff had ever dealt with people under the age of 30 before
(I think that's the worst sentence I've ever constructed. Time for Friday night alcohol!)

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Z's Mom View Post
OMG I'm killing myself laughing here I can't believe that happened? Seriously? I think I would have been asking if any of the kids club (err, children's club? Don't want you to think your offspring are another species ) staff had ever dealt with people under the age of 30 before
(I think that's the worst sentence I've ever constructed. Time for Friday night alcohol!)
I can't believe you missed that one! Oh yeah - my kid, I mean um young child is legendary.

We haven't had a problem in a kids club ever since! I think the crew must get advanced warning now when we get onboard. Hahahahahahahaha

Warning! Rubber shark abuser is coming aboard! Please be on the lookout. She is armed and dangerous toward plastic play toys and runs during duck duck goose!

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are pre-baby seasoned cruisers. We recently took our first cruise with our children (4 year old twin boys and 2 1/2 year old). At the time of sailing our twins were 3. We sailed a carnival triumph out of Galveston. Don't recommend this cruise to anyone..what a disappointment in every way.

So here's our experience. The staff in the kids club could care less to be there. In fact I heard one of the counselors repeatedly talking to kids in a condescending manner. I witnessed this behavior multiple times. At dinner my 2 year old was crying in camp so they called us. DH and I went up to Lido deck and one of my 3 year old twins saw me and reached across the table for me. The counselor was pulling him from my arms saying that he wasn't allowed to do this...my son was frightened. They called me there and then to behave that way. Meanwhile my 2 year old is still crying and the counselor tells me while rolling her eyes that I needed to have a talk with him...really with a 2 year old?

We didn't leave our kids in camp after that incident. Unfortunately we are booked on the carnival magic in two weeks. We had paid for this cruise way before we booked the triumph. Will keep you posted on how that goes.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger123snaps View Post
We are pre-baby seasoned cruisers. We recently took our first cruise with our children (4 year old twin boys and 2 1/2 year old). At the time of sailing our twins were 3. We sailed a carnival triumph out of Galveston. Don't recommend this cruise to anyone..what a disappointment in every way.

So here's our experience. The staff in the kids club could care less to be there. In fact I heard one of the counselors repeatedly talking to kids in a condescending manner. I witnessed this behavior multiple times. At dinner my 2 year old was crying in camp so they called us. DH and I went up to Lido deck and one of my 3 year old twins saw me and reached across the table for me. The counselor was pulling him from my arms saying that he wasn't allowed to do this...my son was frightened. They called me there and then to behave that way. Meanwhile my 2 year old is still crying and the counselor tells me while rolling her eyes that I needed to have a talk with him...really with a 2 year old?

We didn't leave our kids in camp after that incident. Unfortunately we are booked on the carnival magic in two weeks. We had paid for this cruise way before we booked the triumph. Will keep you posted on how that goes.
SAME ship as the rubber shark abuse incident!!!! Hahahahahahahaha! I am sorry to laugh but it was the same counselor attitude that I experienced. And this was a few years ago so they had to have been different counselors. They seemed like they hated their jobs and the kids were a MAJOR inconvenience to their lives! They did roll their eyes a lot - look at their watches and use the words "have a talk with your child" Really? About running during duck,duck goose??? I will have to punish her for that She was a preschooler - they RUN during duck duck goose!

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am so hoping Carnival Magic Counselors are better. CruisinMama who knows it may have been the same counselors?..they do rotate...perhaps they made it back around when we sailed.

I had heard such great things about kids camps on cruises. If our experience on the Magic is poor...then Carnival is out for us. We were so disappointed in the level of service we received on the Triumph. Overall the entire ship service was poor. The buffet felt like a cafeteria with limited choices and long lines. Dining service was just poor. The public bathrooms...well I never witnessed this but DH had to take our son..and he said he's seen cleaner gas stations (trust me he has a high tolerance for filth and even he wanted to puke). What a shame! I don't remember cruising on Carnival ever being like this. I hope this is not an industry wide decline in overall service. We shall see. We did the early saver on the Magic...and at this point it's not worth taking the hit in the deposit that we would lose..so we are going!

We have booked the Norwegian Epic for Feb....so will keep you guys posted on their kids club also.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

CruisinMama LOL! OMG! I just read your post about the rubber shark! That is exactly what I am talking about...it's like they had no idea how to deal with young toddlers!

We didn't leave our kids in the club when certain staff members were working. When we did leave them it was only for 30 min periods here and there. What really struck me though...was on the last day of the cruise we got stuck outside of port because of the weather. It ended up being a full day delay....anyways we were in the kids club with our children and my kids were trying to say "hi" to the counselors and they just didn't respond. They talked to the parents and acted as if the kids weren't even there. You wouldn't expect camp counselors to be so cold! They made it really clear that they were off the clock!

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cruisinmama06....I hope I have the pleasure of meeting you and your family at a cruise in the near future. You are hilarious!!!!

Now, to defend your right and my right to use the word Kid in any which way we want when referring to our Children (whom are NOT Goats, but rather young persons/sons/daughters)(sorry, couldn't resist)....

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary
(Found at: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kid)
1kid noun \ˈkid\

Definition of KID

1: a young goat b: a young individual of various animals related to the goat

2: the flesh, fur, or skin of a kid b: something made of kid

3: a young person; especially: child —often used as a generalized reference to one especially younger or less experienced

kid defined for kids »

1kid /ˈkɪd/noun (plural kids)

1. informal:
a: a son or daughter :child
b: a young person

2. a. young goat
b.a soft leather made from the skin of a young goat

new kid on the block
: someone who has recently joined a particular group

(Refer to: <a href="http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/kid">kid</a>)

[Emphasis added by high-lighting in red the definition]

Last edited by fjvigor1; April 11th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was wondering what the infamous rubber shark attack story was! That really is hysterical.

We were on the Carnival Glory last year when DS had his first camp carnival experience at age 2 and thankfully, ours was much less eventful. He is regularly in a daycare setting and is generally social so he was fine playing with the other kids and will generally behave but he's a very active toddler. I thought at least the 2-5 yr old staff on the Glory was pretty good overall and my son seemed to enjoy the activities.

We'll be trying out the NCL program next month and I'm hoping that he'll have a great time there too.

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Fjvigor1 - thank you for the validation of the word "kid" and I would be happy to sail with you anytime!

NJFoodie - We didn't have any real problems on Elation - which is why we jumped on Sensation and then Triumph. It just all depends on the current crew. The Triumph was certainly in a class of its own Be sure to let us know how things go on NCL. Have a great cruise!

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02