Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post
Why is it that these Costa Concordia customers are attempting to sue the Carnival Corp for all of this money and most of them were not even hurt? Have we as people gotten so greedy that we have to use a misfortune to become rich? I can see if you really were hurt or a loved one was killed or harmed etc... But Really? If you had the money to sail on the ship for heavens sakes and make it off safely, is that not enough? The Captain is going to Jail and your getting your money back from your cruise. Why am I thoroughly disgusted by this greed?
Greed? How about considering that you yourself did not go thru this experience and that you cannot even fathom what they went thru nor what they will be going thru in the future? WOW........

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I honesty think 14k is fair, but that is for me. I have cruised with my BIL a couple of times and I don't think that would cover his stuff. He is a real techno geek and with his computers (yes plural, don't ask), video equipment and other misc stuff, it would not cover his gear.
I don't know how you make the payout fair, JMO.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unless you were on that ship, you have no idea what those people went through.
And if you have no idea what they went through, how can you possibly pass judgement on their actions now?
Do you KNOW what they saw. heard, felt?
Do you KNOW how scared they were?
Do you KNOW what they lost that day besides material things? Like being able to ever go on a vacation again without reliving that experience? Or being able to leave their kids out their sight for fear of not being with them if something terrible would happen again?

I totally agree that lawsuits are very often frivilous and a huge majority of them should never happen. But some are justified.

Unless you were there.....it's unfair to judge them.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcruise View Post
Greed? How about considering that you yourself did not go thru this experience and that you cannot even fathom what they went thru nor what they will be going thru in the future? WOW........
Carnival Corp did offer counseling, money, money off a new cruise etc... What more is there left to compensate? And to answer your question yes Greed ;-)

Carnival Fascination July 1999
Carnival Destiny August 2003
Carnival Triumph March 2004
RCL Empress of the Seas April2006
Carnival Victory July 2010 Engagement Cruise!!
Carnival Legend July 2011
Carnival Liberty June 2012 Wedding Cruise!!

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlopCruiser View Post
Unless you were on that ship, you have no idea what those people went through.
And if you have no idea what they went through, how can you possibly pass judgement on their actions now?
Do you KNOW what they saw. heard, felt?
Do you KNOW how scared they were?
Do you KNOW what they lost that day besides material things? Like being able to ever go on a vacation again without reliving that experience? Or being able to leave their kids out their sight for fear of not being with them if something terrible would happen again?

I totally agree that lawsuits are very often frivilous and a huge majority of them should never happen. But some are justified.

Unless you were there.....it's unfair to judge them.
What more is there to offer? Counseling DONE! Monetary for damages DONE! Cruise in the future DONE! Oooook.... Other than funeral expenses for the dead and compensating for the loss of lives.... What else is their? Not about passing judgment but being realistic

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think anybody who wasn't on the ship when this occurred has the right to call anyone greedy for wanting what they feel is fair compensation.

Nobody here knows what these passengers dealt with. How it felt to see your flash before your eyes, being panicked just knowing your possibly minutes away from death, being trampled by hundreds of other passengers in the dark trying to get to a life boat, and now some of these people will be in therapy for months dealing with PTSD all because they decided to go on a cruise and chose the Costa Concordia to sail on? Greedy? Are you kidding me?

"Be happy you're alive"? Why should my life have been put in that type of danger in the first place?

Wow. Just wow.

Carnival Platinum
RCI Platinum

Next Cruise(s):
July 2014 - Carnival Breeze, Southern Caribbean
February 2015- RCI Quantum of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is the dumbest thread I have read on CC. I dont believe in suing everybody for what ever but this is different. Without being in their shoes whos to say what amount of money is right. If you think 14000 and your cruise fare back is fair its because you were not there! That is a slap in the face!!! Even though some went unharmed it is the point of the matter. How many more Captains may and still do the same thing he did? Im pretty sure some of you are in for a bad wake up call. Hopefully that will never happen again. But you know what they say. Bad things happen in 3's!! Think about that for awhile!!!

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Why is it that these Costa Concordia customers are attempting to sue the Carnival Corp for all of this money and most of them were not even hurt? Have we as people gotten so greedy that we have to use a misfortune to become rich? I can see if you really were hurt or a loved one was killed or harmed etc... But Really? If you had the money to sail on the ship for heavens sakes and make it off safely, is that not enough? The Captain is going to Jail and your getting your money back from your cruise. Why am I thoroughly disgusted by this greed?
I read all the posts and I am with you!

I would rather take the offer as I know I would be no way out of pocket with $14500 each plus travel costs etc.etc

Some need more but most wouldnt, if you look at some of the natural disasters in the world most get nothing or less! Does getting off a capsized ship demand more compensation than your house and possessions getting washed away forever because nature isnt a corporation?

Den

Last edited by fishtaco; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaco View Post
Some need more but most wouldnt, if you look at some of the natural disasters in the world most get nothing or less! Does getting off a capsized ship demand more compensation than your house and possessions getting washed away forever because nature isnt a corporation?

Den

Den,

Excellent.

CLICK HERE for our cruise pics on my own site
CLICK HERE for our cruise pics on Flickr
CLICK HERE for our cruise pics on FOTKi

CLICK HERE for Breeze Cruise slideshow. Pics are hosted on my OWN site and should display properly

Pictures hosted on my own site and WILL display properly;
Carnival Pride Spring Break '14 Review
Pictures hosted on Flickr and should display properly;
Carnival Breeze 2013 8 day Southern Review
Pictures in these reviews are hosted at Fotki and should display properly;
Carnival Liberty 2012 Western Review
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Review

WebShots Sux and sold out so NONE of the pictures in the reviews listed below will display;
CARNIVAL Dream Western Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Liberty B2B Review
CARNIVAL Destiny B2B Review
CARNIVAL Legend Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Freedom Eastern Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Glory Eastern Spring Break Review
Upcoming Cruises:

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 04/04/2015 aboard the Carnival Sunshine! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Carnival.com has a new appearance and some old links are not easily located. Log on to Carnival.com then CLICK HERE to view your previous cruises.

My advice is based on my personal experience and is biased by my opinion and personality. Feel free to take it or leave it, but don't plan on changing me. If you disagree, please bear in mind that I am content to be wrong in your opinion.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelista View Post
I don't think anybody who wasn't on the ship when this occurred has the right to call anyone greedy for wanting what they feel is fair compensation.

Nobody here knows what these passengers dealt with. How it felt to see your flash before your eyes, being panicked just knowing your possibly minutes away from death, being trampled by hundreds of other passengers in the dark trying to get to a life boat, and now some of these people will be in therapy for months dealing with PTSD all because they decided to go on a cruise and chose the Costa Concordia to sail on? Greedy? Are you kidding me?

"Be happy you're alive"? Why should my life have been put in that type of danger in the first place?

Wow. Just wow.
So being scared has a price tag now?? I better start leaving money under my 4 yr olds pillow every night. They are compensating for counseling by offering it, monetary ratification for misc. Stuff and money off future cruising... Like the other poster said " deserve all they did was show up for a cruise" Alright already when is enough enough??

Cool Cruiser

One more thing. Sometimes Im ashamed to be a member of CC. This thread is why. To many people with a holier than thou attitude.

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Does getting off a capsized ship demand more compensation than your house and possessions getting washed away forever because nature isnt a corporation?
Apples and oranges.
2010: Carnival Imagination (review- 4 day party)
2011: Carnival Inspiration (review- third solo cruise)
2011: Carnival Valor (review- 7 day Eastern)
2012: Royal Caribbean Navigator OTS (review- Mediterranean)
2013: Carnival Valor (really awesome review- solo southern Caribbean)
2013: Carnival Breeze (review- an 8 day soap opera)
2013: Carnival Imagination (review- overnight in Nassau)
2013: Carnival Sensation (review- PLATINUM! start at post #125)
2014: Carnival Splendor - SJU to MIA- Dat itinerary!

gapearlcruiser at yahoo dot com

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I would rather take the offer as I know I would be no way out of pocket with $14500 each plus travel costs etc.etc

Den
Unfortunately nature can't be grossly negligent. Its nature.

Carnival Platinum
RCI Platinum

Next Cruise(s):

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Den
Exactly ;0) finally another one who gets it

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
One more thing. Sometimes Im ashamed to be a member of CC. This thread is why. To many people with a holier than thou attitude.
I am a realist... Holier than thou never... Just real

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So being scared has a price tag now?? I better start leaving money under my 4 yr olds pillow every night. They are compensating for counseling by offering it, monetary ratification for misc. Stuff and money off future cruising... Like the other poster said " deserve all they did was show up for a cruise" Alright already when is enough enough??
Being scared?

This is NOT going to see a horror film at your local theater!!

Money off future cruising? I would bet my house that no one who survived that disaster would went to step foot on a cruise ship again, let alone a Costa ship.

I'm not even going to go through your post word for word because I honestly think you're joking at this point. I'm done.

Carnival Platinum
RCI Platinum

Next Cruise(s):

Last edited by TheTravelista; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Hi, Fish Taco,

I did not know that Aussies like fish tacos.

It seems that Yanks R the Most Litigious members of society. It would be interesting to know the percentages of the nationalities that R suing. Anybody Google this?

Kill all the Lawyers (except for my GrandBaby - first year UCLA School of Law, Major: Sports Law).

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What more is there to offer? Counseling DONE! Monetary for damages DONE! Cruise in the future DONE! Oooook.... Other than funeral expenses for the dead and compensating for the loss of lives.... What else is their? Not about passing judgment but being realistic

Nowhere in my post did i say they do or do not deserve more of anything.
I simply think it's unfair of you to be so judgemental about something you know nothing about. And reading posts and watching it on the news does not count as knowing about it.
You weren't on the ship....you don't KNOW what damages were done to those people.
Do you really not see that YOU deciding that all of those people should just be happy to be alive.....and YOU deciding they are greedy for suing, is being exactly what you claim not to be...judgemental.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelista View Post
Being scared?

This is NOT going to see a horror film at your local theater!!

Money off future cruising? I would bet my house that no one who survived that disaster would went to step foot on a cruise ship again, let alone a Costa ship.

I'm not even going to go through your post word for word because I honestly think you're joking at this point. I'm done.
Really not joking.... This is ridiculous the money these people are asking for... It's definitely about greed... No matter how you look at it

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler Puppy View Post
Because you never get near what you are claiming. Ask for a million, you will wind up with 100k at best. Ask for your mere belongings + cruise fare, you will be lucky to get a t-shirt when its all said and done and stil be out what you paid for air fare and others things.

AS with any law suit you start big then they chop it way down as they go.
This is absolutely true, you always ask for more because you never get near to what you asked for. And before people make judgments, just remember no one on this board knows anything about the amount that people lost. Some people weren't able to get back to work for days and probably have lost wages they want to be reimbursed for. Maybe they had very expensive jewelry or handbags, etc. We don't know, so we shouldn't judge! The courts will give them what they feel is the correct amount. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome but that's the way it go.

Closed Thread