Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Seabourn Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Seabourn Cruise Line Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rough seas in September Turkey/Greece?

Hello, we are thinking of taking the Turkey/Greece cruise mid September. Unfortunately I recently developed vertigo and am concerned about sea sickness. This September we sailed to Spain (Seabourn Legend) across the Gulf of Lyon and I was confined to bed for a day and felt somewhat sick for the rest of the trip. I have since learned that area is quite frequently rough in September. So, I am wondering if you have any input with respect to sea conditions on this Turkey/Greece sailing during that time. Thank you!

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

emilee,
We sailed on another cruise line last year the last 2 weeks of September from Istanbul to Athens. We had wonderful weather and felt no movement at all while on ship. The seas were very calm. In fact, it was a touch on the warm side, especially in Turkey. The only time we had any motion was in tendering to one of the Greek ports. You might want to skip tendering if it is looks bouncy, but otherwise, it should be good.

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have cruised Greece/Turkey twice on Seabourn on the small ships in mid to late September. I only recall one rough sea day and that was enroute to Crete. If you are are concerned make sure to book a suite midship at the lowest of the three passenger decks.

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed from Istanbul to Athens in early October and had absolutely wonderful weather and calm seas for the most part. The only choppy time was the final night when we sailed through a storm at higher speeds to get from Milos to Athens. Even then it probably wasn't that bad but my balance was a bit off from toasting the last night on the ship A LOT!

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you cruise in the Med and the Aegean after the first week in September their is an increased risk of highwinds. Cruise lines are marketing september, October and even November as a great time to cruise in the Med: it isnt and I would avoid .Of course many folk have had great trips and calm seas but the later in the season you are the higher the risk of wind and rain.
May and June optimum time with July August next if you dont mind higher temps.

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

From mid-September on, there is a risk of enduring the meltemi winds (called the mistral in France). They can be very strong and would make tendering difficult and the seas very choppy. We were staying in one of the Dodecanese islands for two weeks in mid-September and the meltemi blew for three straight days. But they might not at all, so you take a chance.

If you are very concerned, listen to adoctor and go in May-June. If you plan to go swimming, go in June. The water is a little chilly in May.

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Marazul,
I found out that there is good medication for sea sickness and vertigo and will be going fully prepared. I am hoping all will be well and hopefully not to breezy! Thanks for your reply.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have done four cruises now in the Med/Adriatic in late September and have not encountered rough seas at all. Maybe we have been very lucky and I have probably now put a jinx on this year's trip but that has been our experience. I'm sure you will be OK with good medication, and avoid the tenders if it is a bit rough. Happy sailing!!

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
5,000+ Club

I too have also done 4 cruises in the Med in late Sept/early Oct, and we have been very lucky with weather. Very smooth sailing every time.